Wishing the wrong people Merry Christmas...

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Today at work those that worked their last day before Christmas holidays were walking around the office wishing everyone that is working tomorrow (such as myself) a Merry Christmas.
An Indonesian guy took offense when my co-worked wished him a Merry Christmas and said "I don't celebrate Christmas" in a nasty tone of voice to which my co-worker replied "well.....a Happy New Year then" and told everyone not to wish this guy a Merry Christmas.

Do you guys think it is wrong to wish those that do not celebrate it a Merry Christmas?
Or is this dude just a asshole?
I would say the latter.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    a little from column A... a little from column B.

many people see the christian christmas as the religious celebration it originally was amd still is for a whole lot of people... so if youre gonna wish someone a merry christmas you gonna need to be prepared to 'offend' someone or come across someone who for whatever reeason doesnt celebrate it.

perhaps the guy was fed up with people wishing him a merry christmas. it happens. could he have handled it with more grace? maybe.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I will make sure I wish him a very Merry Christmas tomorrow so will many others that heard about his reaction.
    He is an idiot, worst person to have sit near you.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • funny this should come up. I deal with alot of this every year. As a ZChristian I wish everyine a Merry Christmas, just naturally. Itdoes not always go over well. But I always have oty look at their perspective, their beliefs. Just let them do their thing. we're all just here sharing space, let everyoine have their own space..
  • This sounds like a problem that can easily be solved by beer.
  • As a Jew, that's completely retarded.... As is calling it Happy Holidays...

It's freaking Xmas... Call it Xmas...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    All those that get 'offended' when someone wishes them a Merry Christmas, let them take their tree down, return any present given to them, pay back any drink/food offered (parties,...) etc. Most people celebrate Christmas - religious or not.

As BD says, it's Christmas, therefore 'Merry Christmas' - not Happy Holidays. Stop this PC stuff.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,009
    As a Jew, that's completely retarded.... As is calling it Happy Holidays...

Merry Christmas!!!!! Or for those not so commercialy co-opted holiday in inclined , Happy Dec 25. , A day just like any other but with presents!!!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Today at work those that worked their last day before Christmas holidays were walking around the office wishing everyone that is working tomorrow (such as myself) a Merry Christmas.
    An Indonesian guy took offense when my co-worked wished him a Merry Christmas and said "I don't celebrate Christmas" in a nasty tone of voice to which my co-worker replied "well.....a Happy New Year then" and told everyone not to wish this guy a Merry Christmas.

Do you guys think it is wrong to wish those that do not celebrate it a Merry Christmas?
    Or is this dude just a asshole?
    I would say the latter.
    I would also say the latter. We don't get offended if they wish us a happy whatever religious celebration it is they are celebrating so why should they be. We go to Turkey a lot and as they are mainly muslims they have their celebrations. The expats I know over there embrace it and most of the Turks understand we celebrate Christmas and are tolerant with it.

It drove me nuts when we were in Florida at Christmas about 8 years ago and all we heard was "happy holidays". It was Christmas and we always said Merry Christmas to everyone. We were only being polite, if they were offended nuts to them.

Unfortunately there are some very small minded people around.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Last year I said it to someone who was Jewish. They weren't offended, they just said 'we dont celebrate xmas', and that was that. We continued some light hearted talk.

AS for your mate, Indonesian, he would me Muslim yeah? And in Islam, Jesus is a prophet (I'm fairly sure). So he should realise the significance of this holiday for his religion as well as Christianity.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Yeah he is a Muslim.
    I am sick of them (Muslims) trying to have Christmas celebrations toned down here in Australia because it ''offends'' them.
    All the time I hear how Santa is banned in some shopping centers, how kids cannot celebrate Christmas in schools, and how street decorations aren't put up in certain areas.
    What if I went to their country and made such demands, I'd get beheaded.
    Australia has always been a Christian country and we have celebrated Christmas for many years and now our soft cock politicians give in to the minority who have not been in this country for long.
    If you don't like it, leave and let us have a good time at this time of the year.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    As a Jew, that's completely retarded.... As is calling it Happy Holidays...

retarded... really??? :roll: what exactly is it that you find retarded BD?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I wouldn't go as far as calling him an asshole, but it's fairly certain now that it's a "thing" that's here to stay. I say merry Christmas to everyone; Hindu, Jew, Muslim and Jehovas Witnesses. If they get offended I couldn't care less. I am in no particulary way a 'good' Christian, more a guy who thinks it's a day world-wide filled with smiles, laughter and a few snapses (plural of a snaps).
    In fact here in Denmark many a Muslim save our Christmas-time as they don't mind working on this day (we celebrate it the 24th) so they do it with a smile and in fact wish everyone around them a merry Christmas too.
    So wish the guy a merry Christmas from Denmark as well, and let him feel the true spirit when you do so ;)
    Remember the current look and state of Santa Claus is derived from Coca Cola and Yule or Jul is something we drank in the good old days to celebrate that the lighter times were once again ahead of us.

And to the rest of you; Merry Christmas and all that.
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • As a Jew, that's completely retarded.... As is calling it Happy Holidays...

retarded... really??? :roll: what exactly is it that you find retarded BD?
    Sorry... You're right... it was early in the morning... How about Moronic...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    I actually think that Happy holidays is a good solution to this issue. As many said, they wish people a merry christmas to be polite, I would think that not offending someone would coincide with this. But on the other hand, living in Israel, this is not really an issue for me... :lol:
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    You should have responded.. "It's ok, baby Jesus loves you anyways and forgives you." :lol:
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Do people who don't celebrate Christmas take advantage of the holiday sales? Shouldn't they pay full price for the tv that I received 40% off.

Yes, I said and ads say "holiday sales", but what holiday do the sales revolve around?

(I understand that Christmas isn't about "buying"...there's a little humor in there)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Do people who don't celebrate Christmas take advantage of the holiday sales? Shouldn't they pay full price for the tv that I received 40% off.

Yes, I said and ads say "holiday sales", but what holiday do the sales revolve around?

(I understand that Christmas isn't about "buying"...there's a little humor in there)

Epic! Oh you don't celebrate Christmas, full price for you then ;) I like it!
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • people who take offense to "Merry Christmas" are usually douchbags...

I wish people merry christmas... if they don't celebrate it, they can still have a merry day (especially when they get it off). I work with a few Jewish guys so I usually make a point to wish them happy hanukkah when it starts, but I'll still say to have a merry christmas before i leave today. If they tell me happy hanukkah, i'll say thanks and be fine with that... i can still have eight happy days.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • people who take offense to "Merry Christmas" are usually douchbags...

I wish people merry christmas... if they don't celebrate it, they can still have a merry day (especially when they get it off). I work with a few Jewish guys so I usually make a point to wish them happy hanukkah when it starts, but I'll still say to have a merry christmas before i leave today. If they tell me happy hanukkah, i'll say thanks and be fine with that... i can still have eight happy days.
    Do they say Merry Christmas back? They should...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Hmmm....

I feel we have all gotten too politically correct over the years...Retarded has turned into mentally challenged, kids who are ADD are lumped into ADHD as not to offend the ADHD kids, and Merry Christmas, No wearing the American Flag T-shirts to school because it might offend someone not form this country.

Right or wrong, I am a Christian I believe in GOD, Jesus and the Holy Ghost. I will say Merry Christmas to everyone. Now should I know that you celebrate a holiday other than Christmas then I will do my best to honor that and say Happy __________ during that time.

Instead of getting angry and pissed that someone said the wrong Happy or Merry_____ educate nicely and leave it at that. There is no need for sarcasm, anger and pessimism when someone is just trying to show kindness.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    If someone in passing wishes you Merry Christmas and is happy and spreading holiday cheer, why fuck with them??? All it takes is a nod and a thank you and the person departs with a smile and the conversation is forgotten about in 10 seconds. But if your respond with a "I don't celebrate Xmas" type of comment, then the person will think you are a dick for the rest of their lives. And rightfully so.
  • Jason P wrote:
    If someone in passing wishes you Merry Christmas and is happy and spreading holiday cheer, why fuck with them??? All it takes is a nod and a thank you and the person departs with a smile and the conversation is forgotten about in 10 seconds. But if your respond with a "I don't celebrate Xmas" type of comment, then the person will think you are a dick for the rest of their lives. And rightfully so.

I agree with this comment. People have gotten very (ridiculously) sensitive over stuff like this. If someone saying to you Merry Christmas with a smile on their face, offends your sensibilities, then really, you need to get a life. Just be happy for goodness sake. It's not that hard to say thanks, you too. And then forget about it.
  • Boo Boo wrote:
    Hmmm....

I feel we have all gotten too politically correct over the years...Retarded has turned into mentally challenged, kids who are ADD are lumped into ADHD as not to offend the ADHD kids, and Merry Christmas, No wearing the American Flag T-shirts to school because it might offend someone not form this country.

Right or wrong, I am a Christian I believe in GOD, Jesus and the Holy Ghost. I will say Merry Christmas to everyone. Now should I know that you celebrate a holiday other than Christmas then I will do my best to honor that and say Happy __________ during that time.

Instead of getting angry and pissed that someone said the wrong Happy or Merry_____ educate nicely and leave it at that. There is no need for sarcasm, anger and pessimism when someone is just trying to show kindness.
    And you make awesome dreidles :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Boo Boo wrote:
    Hmmm....

And you make awesome dreidles :D

well if you think that was good you should see my crucifixes!! :shock: :)
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    edited December 2010
    Why do people get so offended by 'happy holidays'? It celebrates the diversity of this country...what's wrong with that? I guarantee Christians would get offended by someone coming up to them and saying 'Happy Winter Solstice' or 'Happy Kwaanza!'. If you know someone is a Christian, 'Merry Christmas' is appropriate. If you don't know, what's wrong with 'Happy Holidays'? Get with the times, people. Trying to force a 'Merry Christmas' on a Hindu or Muslim when it is clear that they are not a Christian just comes off as arrogant. Show a little humility once in a while.
    Post edited by AllNiteThing on
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I guess if you want to be as polite as possible, wish a "Happy Holidays". But on the other hand, I honestly feel that there is no point to just retorting with "I don't celebrate Christmas....". Most of the time when someone doesn't celebrate Christmas, it's not known to others...because who goes around during the other 11 months of the year and says "By the way guys, when it comes holiday time...Be sure to wish me a Happy ________."

It would just be easier to say "thank you", and appreciate the person's nice gesture.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    people who take offense to "Merry Christmas" are usually douchbags...

Exactly. Just the act of passing on a sentiment is a nice thing to do, and I think that's the big picture.

People are just too damn sensitive sometimes.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Why do people get so offended by 'happy holidays'? It celebrates the diversity of this country...what's wrong with that? I guarantee Christians would get offended by someone coming up to them and saying 'Happy Winter Solstice' or 'Happy Kwaanza!'. If you know someone is a Christian, 'Merry Christmas' is appropriate. If you don't know, what's wrong with 'Happy Holidays'? Get with the times, people. Trying to force a 'Merry Christmas' on a Hindu or Muslim when it is clear that they are not a Christian just comes off as arrogant. Show a little humility once in a while.
    I agree for the most part - but I wouldnt be offended if anyone wished me a happy kwaanza or winter solstice. If I'm unsure if someone celebrates Christmas or not, I'll say Happy Holidays. But I'll wish a Merry Christmas to those who I know celebrate it. I just think it's a bit narrow minded to assume that everyone celebrates Christmas. Just my two cents.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • i was just saying the other day how i felt everyone gave up on being PC around christmas... and THANK GOD

i heard merry christmas everywhere this year... even in public schools and other places where it used to be a big no no

other than have "christ" right in the name, christmas isn't really about the birth of christ for most people anymore... its about family and friend and decorations and hot cocoa and songs and snow and on and on... all nice things... anyone that has a problem with christmas can suck it
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • I work in NY so like myself a few jewish people around :lol:

So in the lobby of my office, they still have (as we speak) the Menorah candles all lit up for the 8 days... Now I think the buildings should certainly have them and I appreciate if they remember to light them each night :lol:

But... Why is it still up? I mean the last day of Hanukkah was on the 9th? Typically it's later in the year, but not this one. I asked the head of security and he said no Hanukkah Lights come down until the tree does...

Why?? I mean I'm done with my holiday :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif