Wishing the wrong people Merry Christmas...

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    anyone that has a problem with christmas can suck it

BOOM! :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Boo Boo wrote:
    Hmmm....

I feel we have all gotten too politically correct over the years...Retarded has turned into mentally challenged, kids who are ADD are lumped into ADHD as not to offend the ADHD kids, and Merry Christmas, No wearing the American Flag T-shirts to school because it might offend someone not form this country.
    Retarded is never a good term to use, just so you know.

As far as someone like in the OP, it should be fine that they don't celebrate Christmas, but you can tell a person you don't celebrate in a much nicer way than getting uptight about it. "Thanks, but I don't celebrate Christmas". Nothing wrong with that.
  • I've been at my job for 5 years so I know just about everyone here celebrates Christmas.

Of course, there's always: Happy Pagan Winter Solstice Holiday That Was Stolen by the Christians. ;):lol:

I guess in Australia it would be Summer Solstice, but whatever.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It's the love behind kind words ... It's nice when you meet people who feel it .... whatever the greeting.
    I wish this love was around 365 days of the year!
  • Jeanwah wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:
    Hmmm....

I feel we have all gotten too politically correct over the years...Retarded has turned into mentally challenged, kids who are ADD are lumped into ADHD as not to offend the ADHD kids, and Merry Christmas, No wearing the American Flag T-shirts to school because it might offend someone not form this country.

As far as someone like in the OP, it should be fine that they don't celebrate Christmas, but you can tell a person you don't celebrate in a much nicer way than getting uptight about it. "Thanks, but I don't celebrate Christmas". Nothing wrong with that.

Just saying Jeanwah, it wasn't long ago that the term was used, even by doctors. Didn't mean to offend.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited December 2010
    Why do people get so offended by 'happy holidays'? It celebrates the diversity of this country...what's wrong with that? I guarantee Christians would get offended by someone coming up to them and saying 'Happy Winter Solstice' or 'Happy Kwaanza!'. If you know someone is a Christian, 'Merry Christmas' is appropriate. If you don't know, what's wrong with 'Happy Holidays'? Get with the times, people. Trying to force a 'Merry Christmas' on a Hindu or Muslim when it is clear that they are not a Christian just comes off as arrogant. Show a little humility once in a while.
    I agree for the most part - but I wouldnt be offended if anyone wished me a happy kwaanza or winter solstice. If I'm unsure if someone celebrates Christmas or not, I'll say Happy Holidays. But I'll wish a Merry Christmas to those who I know celebrate it. I just think it's a bit narrow minded to assume that everyone celebrates Christmas. Just my two cents.

Fair enough, but on 25th of December, Christmas is celebrated, not another 'holiday'. Now, those not wishing to celebrate it, that's fine. Whilst one can celebrate diversity, the US (like the UK, France, etc.) are inherently Christian countries, therefore this holiday is celebrated as such, though again, it has lost a lot of it's christian message and now, it is all about decorated trees, presents, too much food and drink. 'Merry Christmas' is an ancient greeting which, like a lot of others have lost their true meaning (a bit like the 'bless you' when one sneezes - but that's another thread on the Moving Train!). What about Easter then? Loads of non christians celebrate that too. Bunny Rabbit hiding eggs instead of the resurrection of Christ.

I work in a very multi-cultural environment - I have no problems in people sharing their 'celebrations' with me (eg Diwali), like they have no problems in me saying Merry Christmas to them (and I also get Christmas cards from them).

Happy Holidays is a cop out - it's not 'holidays', it's Christmas - the proper name of this 'holiday'.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Today at work those that worked their last day before Christmas holidays were walking around the office wishing everyone that is working tomorrow (such as myself) a Merry Christmas.
    An Indonesian guy took offense when my co-worked wished him a Merry Christmas and said "I don't celebrate Christmas" in a nasty tone of voice to which my co-worker replied "well.....a Happy New Year then" and told everyone not to wish this guy a Merry Christmas.

Do you guys think it is wrong to wish those that do not celebrate it a Merry Christmas?
    Or is this dude just a asshole?
    I would say the latter.

next tell him to fuck off and take a shit on his desk
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I would have made a point to wish that guy Merry Christmas.
  • One of my employees 4 year old daughter who came in for the day, just wished me a Merry Christmas...

And a Very Merry Christmas to you Virginia (really her name) :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    norm wrote:
    Today at work those that worked their last day before Christmas holidays were walking around the office wishing everyone that is working tomorrow (such as myself) a Merry Christmas.
    An Indonesian guy took offense when my co-worked wished him a Merry Christmas and said "I don't celebrate Christmas" in a nasty tone of voice to which my co-worker replied "well.....a Happy New Year then" and told everyone not to wish this guy a Merry Christmas.

Do you guys think it is wrong to wish those that do not celebrate it a Merry Christmas?
    Or is this dude just a asshole?
    I would say the latter.

a nice "Yule Log". Add a bow to make it pretty. :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

a nice "Yule Log". Add a bow to make it pretty. :lol:

oh i'd make it classy and in the spirit of the times! :mrgreen:
  • redrock wrote:
    Why do people get so offended by 'happy holidays'? It celebrates the diversity of this country...what's wrong with that? I guarantee Christians would get offended by someone coming up to them and saying 'Happy Winter Solstice' or 'Happy Kwaanza!'. If you know someone is a Christian, 'Merry Christmas' is appropriate. If you don't know, what's wrong with 'Happy Holidays'? Get with the times, people. Trying to force a 'Merry Christmas' on a Hindu or Muslim when it is clear that they are not a Christian just comes off as arrogant. Show a little humility once in a while.
    I agree for the most part - but I wouldnt be offended if anyone wished me a happy kwaanza or winter solstice. If I'm unsure if someone celebrates Christmas or not, I'll say Happy Holidays. But I'll wish a Merry Christmas to those who I know celebrate it. I just think it's a bit narrow minded to assume that everyone celebrates Christmas. Just my two cents.

Fair enough, but on 25th of December, Christmas is celebrated, not another 'holiday'. Now, those not wishing to celebrate it, that's fine. Whilst one can celebrate diversity, the US (like the UK, France, etc.) are inherently Christian countries, therefore this holiday is celebrated as such, though again, it has lost a lot of it's christian message and now, it is all about decorated trees, presents, too much food and drink. 'Merry Christmas' is an ancient greeting which, like a lot of others have lost their true meaning (a bit like the 'bless you' when one sneezes - but that's another thread on the Moving Train!). What about Easter then? Loads of non christians celebrate that too. Bunny Rabbit hiding eggs instead of the resurrection of Christ.

I work in a very multi-cultural environment - I have no problems in people sharing their 'celebrations' with me (eg Diwali), like they have no problems in me saying Merry Christmas to them (and I also get Christmas cards from them).

Happy Holidays is a cop out - it's not 'holidays', it's Christmas - the proper name of this 'holiday'.
    I hear what you're saying but 'Happy Holidays' is an expression used throughout the month of December, being that there are in fact several different holidays (i.e. Hanukkuh, Kwaanza, New Years, etc). Granted on the 24th or 25th, I'll certainly wish people a Merry Christmas. And I agree that most people do not celebrate the true meaning of Christmas or Easter for that matter...the holidays have become too commercialized over the course of time and we lose sight of the real celebration. That's not to say that I dont enjoy either; I love the overall spirit of this holiday; the lights, the tree, the weather, spending time with family, gift-giving, etc. So Merry Christmas :D
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I say both Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to people, never really giving it any thought. If someone gave me attitude about it, I'd probably say, "Fine. Fuck you. You like that better?"
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Boo Boo wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:
    Hmmm....

Just saying Jeanwah, it wasn't long ago that the term was used, even by doctors. Didn't mean to offend.

Yeah, you're right. The terminology has changed since then.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Boo Boo wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Yeah, you're right. The terminology has changed since then.

when my youngest daughter was born in 1999 she was described as borderline growth retarded because of her low birthweight.

it seems a lot of people who use the word retarded are doing so derogatorily and usually without thought.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    I just recieved a Winter Greeting card from some douche bag lawyer I deal with here at work ......WINTER GREETING!!! then where the Fuck are my spring summer and fall greetings! :lol:
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Yeah he is a Muslim.
    I am sick of them (Muslims) trying to have Christmas celebrations toned down here in Australia because it ''offends'' them.
    All the time I hear how Santa is banned in some shopping centers, how kids cannot celebrate Christmas in schools, and how street decorations aren't put up in certain areas.
    What if I went to their country and made such demands, I'd get beheaded.
    Australia has always been a Christian country and we have celebrated Christmas for many years and now our soft cock politicians give in to the minority who have not been in this country for long.
    If you don't like it, leave and let us have a good time at this time of the year.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I agree whole heartedly! Australia can be so bloody soft hey? It's not like you were telling him to piss off! You were being friendly and wishing him well! Tell him to get over himself! If someone came up to me and wished me a Merry Muslim Day (???) I wouldn't give too shits and I would say Thanks! :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    I say both Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to people, never really giving it any thought. If someone gave me attitude about it, I'd probably say, "Fine. Fuck you. You like that better?"

:lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Hawkshore wrote:
    I just recieved a Winter Greeting card from some douche bag lawyer I deal with here at work ......WINTER GREETING!!! then where the Fuck are my spring summer and fall greetings! :lol:

May I be the second to greet Winter upon you :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    You should just do what I did during the IPad debacle: Say "Merry Fucking Christmas."

Oh, and by the way, I'm offended by the use of ellipses in this thread title.

And by the word "wrong" which implies that someone else is "right." Or, is "less wrong."

In fact, I'm so offended by all of you that my head is going to implode.

*pop*
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • good lord.. :shock:

Ya know what...do what you will!! To hell with being nice, politically correct, sensitive, etc...

back in the day...( which was a wednesday btw...) people said whatever..and regardless they nodded and smiled.

c'mon now...people..just deal with it.

its all done in kindness...jeez!!!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Boo Boo wrote:
    good lord.. :shock:

Ya know what...do what you will!! To hell with being nice, politically correct, sensitive, etc...

back in the day...( which was a wednesday btw...) people said whatever..and regardless they nodded and smiled.

c'mon now...people..just deal with it.

its all done in kindness...jeez!!!

I'm offended by your use of this smily :shock: as I think it's insensitive to people with Grave's disease or other conditions that cause their eyeballs to protrude.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Yeah, I'm really sick of all the PC crap that's been everywhere...calling it a "holiday tree" is just ridiculous, in my opinion. It's a CHRISTMAS tree. Call it what it is!
    I don't care if people say "Happy Holidays", but when people try to censor or stop others from saying "Merry Christmas", that's just ridiculous. You wouldn't censor any other holiday, why this one? To my Jewish friends I say "Happy Hanukkah", to my Indian friends I say "Happy Diwali". If you don't celebrate Christmas, fine, but don't try to stop me from saying it! :roll:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    iamica wrote:
    Yeah, I'm really sick of all the PC crap that's been everywhere...calling it a "holiday tree" is just ridiculous, in my opinion. It's a CHRISTMAS tree. Call it what it is!
    I don't care if people say "Happy Holidays", but when people try to censor or stop others from saying "Merry Christmas", that's just ridiculous. You wouldn't censor any other holiday, why this one? To my Jewish friends I say "Happy Hanukkah", to my Indian friends I say "Happy Diwali". If you don't celebrate Christmas, fine, but don't try to stop me from saying it! :roll:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap:

best av ever
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    norm wrote:
    lol

suck it charlie brown, fucking classic

that tulsa organizer is gonna need a new pair of panties after that
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• I wished him a Merry Christmas today and he replied with "Yep.....(my name)".
    :lol:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Loulou wrote:
    Yeah he is a Muslim.
    I am sick of them (Muslims) trying to have Christmas celebrations toned down here in Australia because it ''offends'' them.
    All the time I hear how Santa is banned in some shopping centers, how kids cannot celebrate Christmas in schools, and how street decorations aren't put up in certain areas.
    What if I went to their country and made such demands, I'd get beheaded.
    Australia has always been a Christian country and we have celebrated Christmas for many years and now our soft cock politicians give in to the minority who have not been in this country for long.
    If you don't like it, leave and let us have a good time at this time of the year.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I agree whole heartedly! Australia can be so bloody soft hey? It's not like you were telling him to piss off! You were being friendly and wishing him well! Tell him to get over himself! If someone came up to me and wished me a Merry Muslim Day (???) I wouldn't give too shits and I would say Thanks! :lol:

I didn't say it to him, my co-worker did.
    I wished him Merry Christmas today.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • What irks me as well is this president of some Islamic Friendship Society based in Sydney wants all school kids to celebrate Ramadan.
    I say....get fkd.
    Quick, someone hand Thoughts_Arrive a Festivus Pole!