Wishing the wrong people Merry Christmas...

Comments

• Quick, someone hand Thoughts_Arrive a Festivus Pole!

????
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Quick, someone hand Thoughts_Arrive a Festivus Pole!

????

Festivus for the rest of us

Seinfeld reference. YouTube it, you'll find you agree. Funny shit!
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Quick, someone hand Thoughts_Arrive a Festivus Pole!

????

True that.

Also, I should add _ Empty Glass, I'm offended by your user name as it implies that glasses, nay, all drink and barware, are something other than full. It would be more politically correct if you were Opting To Be Not Entirely Full Nonplastic Vessel.

Thank you.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • I just can't jump on this bandwagon. Just imagine for a second that you didn't grow up in this Christian-dominated culture. Everything, everywhere, is CHRISTMAS. EVERYTHING. Don't you think it might get a bit much after a while? Telling people to suck it up and ignore it is easy when it's not a big deal to you.

I say Merry Christmas to those I know celebrate it, and that's it. If someone I don't know says it to me, I'll say it back. It's not politically correct, it's being tolerant of other cultures. Most don't give a shit, but to those that do, I can't judge them for that.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Paul David wrote:
    I just can't jump on this bandwagon. Just imagine for a second that you didn't grow up in this Christian-dominated culture. Everything, everywhere, is CHRISTMAS. EVERYTHING. Don't you think it might get a bit much after a while? Telling people to suck it up and ignore it is easy when it's not a big deal to you.

I say Merry Christmas to those I know celebrate it, and that's it. If someone I don't know says it to me, I'll say it back. It's not politically correct, it's being tolerant of other cultures. Most don't give a shit, but to those that do, I can't judge them for that.

finally. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Quick, someone hand Thoughts_Arrive a Festivus Pole!

????

Which video in particular?
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... tivus&aq=f
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I would have told him that him not celebrating something is not the definition of "offense." And, just because he chooses to not celebrate, doesn't mean others shouldn't openly be able to. The last I checked, Christmas is a US National holiday.

I am not sure why a very small percentage of the population think they can just falsely throw the word "offense" around in an attempt to control the masses. We as a nation are free to celebrate any holiday we would like, especially when they are National Holidays. We will not be bullied into hiding the fact that we celebrate Christmas. If we are forced to, I would then conclude that this big experiment of the great "melting pot" that is the USA is a giant failure because we as a nation would be becoming more and more bland of a society.

Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Dude, you guys are analyzing this way too much. Who cares? Just listen to Pearl Jam and drink.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Paul David wrote:
    I just can't jump on this bandwagon. Just imagine for a second that you didn't grow up in this Christian-dominated culture. Everything, everywhere, is CHRISTMAS. EVERYTHING. Don't you think it might get a bit much after a while? Telling people to suck it up and ignore it is easy when it's not a big deal to you.
    well then that could be said for all holidays not just christmas
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

why don't these pc people single out hanukkah or kwanzaa? hell those last 8 days and 6 days . i don't see the pc up in arms bout those holidays but god forbid we offend the jewish and blacks. let's all get pc bout the christian holiday. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

if people are so against christmas then dont put up a fucking tree, dont fucking buy presents, dont fucking spend christmas with your loved one, stay the fuck home. kinda pot kettle black if your so against christmas but yet do all the things that are associated with christmas holiday. i say either suck it up for one fucking day or don't do things that are associated with the holiday

MERRY FUCKING CHRISTMAS !

metsfan wrote:
    why don't these pc people single out hanukkah or kwanzaa? hell those last 8 days and 6 days . i don't see the pc up in arms bout those holidays but god forbid we offend the jewish and blacks. let's all get pc bout the christian holiday. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

if people are so against christmas then dont put up a fucking tree, dont fucking buy presents, dont fucking spend christmas with your loved one, stay the fuck home. kinda pot kettle black if your so against christmas but yet do all the things that are associated with christmas holiday. i say either suck it up for one fucking day or don't do things that are associated with the holiday

100% agree here.

And look a Christmas miracle, a Phillies fan agrees with a Mets fan. Merry Christmas brother!
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

Thoughts-Arrive, if you can piece the whole episode together, you'll enjoy it. Even it bits and pieces there should be funny stuff on there.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• who's AGAINST christmas here? I just don't think there's anything wrong with being respectful of other people's cultures/religions. See, the real point here is that North Americans (not just the US) are so arrogant that we just assume everyone celebrates Christmas and that if you don't, well fuck you.

I was thinking about this on the way to work yesterday.......driving down Main Street, they put up Xmas trees and angels and ribbons and shit........I thought we were supposed to separate church and state. Why is the government decorating our public places with the decorations of one specific religion's stuff?

My mayor is Jewish. Can you imagine if there were menorahs hanging all over town? And why shouldn't there be, really?

I know, I know, it's been this way ever since we whites came here and stole the land of the Natives. I know. I get it. I always go back to this when I hear people of European descent complaining about the current state of political correctness. What if we came here all those years ago, and we hadn't been ABLE to overthrow all of their traditions and destroy their culture with our disease and genocide? WE would be the ones saying "I don't celebrate Aboriginal faith, so don't say it to me!".

These "pc people" don't single out hanukkah or kwanzaa because I've never seen any commercials for Hanukkah week door crasher sales or Jessica Simpson lighting the Kwanzaa Kinara on national TV.
    metsfan wrote:

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • agreed. No one is singling out one particular holiday here, it was just the subject of the OP.
    metsfan wrote:
    Paul David wrote:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Paul David wrote:
    agreed. No one is singling out one particular holiday here, it was just the subject of the OP.
    metsfan wrote:
    Paul David wrote:

I'm offended that Paul David hasn't been David Paul for 50% of the time in order to provide equal first billing on behalf of all the Davids of the world.

And that metsfan has consistently championed just one team, when he really should be mindful about offending others. Truly he should consider being lionsfan, cardinalsfan, raidersfan or royalsfan. At least for a while.

Really, it's all quite offensive.

Oh, and Happy Second-To-Last Friday of the month!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • I was watching the annual Christmas Eve carols on TV last night, everyone in the city singing and having a good time.
    Then I think about Islam, what joy do their followers have?
    All I see is violence and no joy.
    If Australia ever loses its right to celebrate Christmas I am out of here.
  • Thoughts-Arrive, if you can piece the whole episode together, you'll enjoy it. Even it bits and pieces there should be funny stuff on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8g4Ztf7hIM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

Sounds a bit bizarre, people actually celebrate this?
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    I skipped all the replys and came to here.

where i live is a small village, and in the community there is a lot of religion. ( none of which i take part in)

Last year Daughter Tyler who was 4 at the time gave out xmas cards to all here classmates, chuffed to bits that she was getting to do this.
    Next day one of the girls in here class gave Tyler her card back. with no explination, which really upset tyler.
    turns out her family are some religion that doesn't celebrate xmas. and we had to wipe away the tears and explain this to tyler.

so i ask also. was the girl right to give her card back, or should she have just binned it, and said nothing.

Sorry to hijack your thread dude. but just felt i should share this to.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Then I think about Islam, what joy do their followers have?

what a lovely generalization.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I would say toss it without saying anything. it was the next day. had your daughter had said merry christmas to her, then the girl would have had a right to say "I'm sorry, but we don't celebrate christmas". my guess is this girl's parents made her do it. which to me is a bit extreme. they are 4 for christ's sake.
    I skipped all the replys and came to here.

where i live is a small village, and in the community there is a lot of religion. ( none of which i take part in)

Last year Daughter Tyler who was 4 at the time gave out xmas cards to all here classmates, chuffed to bits that she was getting to do this.
    Next day one of the girls in here class gave Tyler her card back. with no explination, which really upset tyler.
    turns out her family are some religion that doesn't celebrate xmas. and we had to wipe away the tears and explain this to tyler.

so i ask also. was the girl right to give her card back, or should she have just binned it, and said nothing.

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    edited December 2010
    Paul David wrote:

Thanks.
    You show me one thing that is joyous with that religion?
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • I skipped all the replys and came to here.

No probs, go for it :D
  • Paul David wrote:

Thanks.

sex, drugs and violence... i find that joyous
    Paul David wrote:

No, because I cannot fathom being a minority in a new land and having the audacity to tell these people how they should live and what they should and shouldn't celebrate - just because I don't. What is so hard with, live and let live?

This is the most idiotic notion that somehow people that choose to not celebrate Christmas are somehow "offended" by others celebrating it. Absolutely IDIOTIC.

The anti-Christmas folks need to settle down and realize that this is a US National Holiday - and there is nothing scary or offensive about it. If you have chosen to not participate, that's fine, you are free to celebrate what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. But, you do not have the right to stop anyone else for celebrating what they like as long as it also doesn't hurt anyone. Christmas doesn't hurt anyone.
  • no one is telling anyone they shouldn't celebrate something, or "how they should live". :roll: where are you getting this from? they are merely stating THEY don't celebrate it, so don't shove it down our throats. that is all.

it's called tolerance. More people should give it a try.

aNiMaL wrote:
    No, because I cannot fathom being a minority in a new land and having the audacity to tell these people how they should live and what they should and shouldn't celebrate - just because I don't. What is so hard with, live and let live?

This is the most idiotic notion that somehow people that choose to not celebrate Christmas are somehow "offended" by others celebrating it. Absolutely IDIOTIC.

The anti-Christmas folks need to settle down and realize that this is a US National Holiday - and there is nothing scary or offensive about it. If you have chosen to not participate, that's fine, you are free to celebrate what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. But, you do not have the right to stop anyone else for celebrating what they like as long as it also doesn't hurt anyone. Christmas doesn't hurt anyone.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • sure.

Bakr Id, or Id al Zuha (Feast of Sacrifice), begins on the tenth day of the Islamic month of Dhul Hijjah and is a major holiday. Prescribed in the Quran, Id al Zuha commemorates Ibrahim's willingness to sacrifice Ishmael (rather than Ishaq--Isaac--as in the Judeo-Christian tradition) according to God's command, but it is also the high point of the pilgrim's ritual cycle while on the hajj in Mecca. All of these festivals involve large feasts, gifts given to family and neighbors, and the distribution of food for charitable purposes.

Paul David wrote:

Thanks.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I despise all things Christmas. I don't celebrate it, can't stand it and don't want anything to do with it but even I take no offense by someone wishing it to me and I will even extend the same in return to honor there gracious and kind intentions. Be offended if one wishes but don't take it out on others because they are different I say. Be kind in return regardless always and forever. 8-)
    Paul David wrote:

Thanks.
    same can be said for any religion really

btw- paul my rant wasn't meant for you. just pisses me off people are so uptight by one holiday. the same people that are so uptight bout a holiday they still do things associated with that holiday. ffs this country was founded by quakers who are christians, shocking to most people :roll: .

metsfan wrote:

100% agree here.

And look a Christmas miracle, a Phillies fan agrees with a Mets fan. Merry Christmas brother!
    merry christmas bro

Paul David wrote:
    it's called tolerance. More people should give it a try
    Odd, that's my point too. Tolerance from those that do not participate. They need to be tolerant of something that they do not participate in, but most around them do.

To cry offense is what is ridiculous.