I am so done with Christmas

unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Saved, plotted, planned. This was going to be the year that I totally blow away Mr. Unlost, who has always been a Dell/Blackberry guy (as compared with Mac/iPhone me).

So a night last week he's out at a meeting. I stop at the Apple store, buy him an iPad. I am so excited about it, he'd been increasingly asking me about mine and said a bunch of the guys he works with have them. I am giggling in the store, I'm so happy thinking how much he'll like it.

I come home, find a really big box, put the iPad in it with a bunch of towels. He'll never guess what it is.

Tonight we're watching the football game and he mentions something about being in an Apple store. I said, "oh, I bet you bought me something!" he says, "No, but I bought myself an iPad."

I did not handle it well.

Not at all.

Now I have not one bloody thing to give him.

Again, I will say that I did not handle it well. (I'm sorry, but who goes out and buys themselves a $700 toy the week before Christmas?!?)

I may, possibly, be understating how badly I handled this.
15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    get him a coffee gift card :mrgreen:

oh wait, wrong thread
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    yikes..should have confirmed that gift
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553

But it was going to be such a nice surprise!

Of course, now that I stormed upstairs, pulled the giant box out from the back of the closet, stomped back downstairs and dumped it on the couch beside him, saying "merry fucking Christmas" the surprise is a bit less, um, festive.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

Of course, now that I stormed upstairs, pulled the giant box out from the back of the closet, stomped back downstairs and dumped it on the couch beside him, saying "merry fucking Christmas" the surprise is a bit less, um, festive.

i know it was your gift..but u can return it right?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553

i know it was your gift..but u can return it right?

I sure hope so... Also the case. And I am not, NOT going into one single store. I had all my other holiday shopping done & wrapped the first week of December. I'm not going to get caught up in all the madness this week. He'll have to content himself with his new toy that morning.
    :x :x :x
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Again, I will say that I did not handle it well. (I'm sorry, but who goes out and buys themselves a $700 toy the week before Christmas?!?)

i am with you on this.
    who the hell goes out and spends $700 on a toy for themselves this close to Christmas?

unlost, i would be fucking pissed off too
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

i am with you on this.
    who the hell goes out and spends $700 on a toy for themselves this close to Christmas?

unlost, i would be fucking pissed off too

agreed should have waited till after sat just in case
  • IMO I have to agree with you.. that's pretty jacked to spend so much on a gift for yourself, this close to Christmas. Sounds kinda selfish to me, but you know your man best. I'd say tell him HE can deal with the madness of returning it, since he wanted to be so selfish. ( my attitude is probably why I'm still single btw, so maybe ignore me?)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,548
    Saved, plotted, planned. This was going to be the year that I totally blow away Mr. Unlost, who has always been a Dell/Blackberry guy (as compared with Mac/iPhone me).

So a night last week he's out at a meeting. I stop at the Apple store, buy him an iPad. I am so excited about it, he'd been increasingly asking me about mine and said a bunch of the guys he works with have them. I am giggling in the store, I'm so happy thinking how much he'll like it.

I come home, find a really big box, put the iPad in it with a bunch of towels. He'll never guess what it is.

Tonight we're watching the football game and he mentions something about being in an Apple store. I said, "oh, I bet you bought me something!" he says, "No, but I bought myself an iPad."

Not at all.

hahaha...this me and my fiance pretty much every year. what? are people not allowed to purchase stuff for themselves around this time of the year? :D

it's okay...you still got a week or so to return it and get him something else
    www.myspace.com
    unlost brookstone has many good extra's for the ipad that can be a gift

stands different gadgets...just a thought
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to have two PJ20 hoodies on the 25th....Wanna trade? :)
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• jshin wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to have two PJ20 hoodies on the 25th....Wanna trade? :)
    If ya do I'll buy one from ya!!
  • Saved, plotted, planned. This was going to be the year that I totally blow away Mr. Unlost, who has always been a Dell/Blackberry guy (as compared with Mac/iPhone me).

Not at all.

hahaha...this me and my fiance pretty much every year. what? are people not allowed to purchase stuff for themselves around this time of the year? :D

It's not so much that they can't shop for themselves..It's just not polite to possibly steal the thunder out of a cool gift that someone was trying to give you..now that gift is sorta ruined..made it null and void..
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    :lol::lol: How many options did we him for a bloody gift hey?? All my ideas are completely used up!!
    norm wrote:
    get him a coffee gift card :mrgreen:

oh wait, wrong thread
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    jshin wrote:
    I was really hoping to score an "I'll show you for being so selfish a week before christmas" IPad...if I get two I'll look you up first.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• My mother did this to us kids one year.. and god did it hurt my feelings, that she just couldn't wait one month to see if a T.V. set showed up for her under the tree that year. Now I myself have horrendous anxiety issues, but I took 600mgs of Seroquel (and that's NOTHING for me..) and headed out my door at 11:00 p.m. Thanksgiving night to get a good spot at my nearest Best Buy outlet to buy her a nice new T.V. set, since hers was on the fritz. She came home from HER BF excursion with a new T.V. set and no gifts for us kids at all, just herself. So I can see why it would upset someone to see that their joy was crushed by impatience and in my opinion, lack of faith. At least in my Mother's case, lack of faith was definately an issue.
  • jshin wrote:
    jshin wrote:
    I was really hoping to score an "I'll show you for being so selfish a week before christmas" IPad...if I get two I'll look you up first.
    sweet thanks.. lol although I highly doubt even out of spite one would give away so expensive a gift.. lmao but it WAS worth a shot eh?
  • wow, maybe I'm a little more frugal than the rest, but why would he even THINK he'd be getting a $700 gift? For me, buying myself something like that would be a lock, knowing I wouldn't be getting it as a gift. My wife and I don't spend even close to that on each other. to me that's kind of excessive, no?

sure, it's annoying, but I'll agree with you that you did not handle it well. you should have just calmly returned it and got him something else.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    edited December 2010

(I'm sorry, but who goes out and buys themselves a $700 toy the week before Christmas?!?)

Many people do.

Well not many but some.
    Post edited by patrickredeyes on
  • To the OP:

Look at the bright side...at least you found out he bought one. It could have been worse, you might not have found out he bought one and then gave him the one you bought on xmas.

Still time to remedy the situation.
  • I'd be completely pissed too. It's not just that he spent that much money on himself a week before Christmas, it's the fact that you put so much thought into the gift, then he doesn't give you the chance to show him how much thought you DID put into his gift, by so casually buying himself the same thing, right? And anything you did get him now, would be nowhere near as personal.

I'd be upset, and I doubt I'd have handled it very well either. It's a week before Christmas for crying out loud. He coulda just waited.

Not at all.

It's not so much that they can't shop for themselves..It's just not polite to possibly steal the thunder out of a cool gift that someone was trying to give you..now that gift is sorta ruined..made it null and void..

how could he possibly have known she was buying this exact thing for him though?
    www.myspace.com
    To the OP:

Look at the bright side...at least you found out he bought one. It could have been worse, you might not have found out he bought one and then gave him the one you bought on xmas.

Still time to remedy the situation.

hey off topic, but are you the guy who got fired from the car wash a couple years ago?
    www.myspace.com
  • You handled it badly? you think?

Granted, buying himself that big of a gift (I have no idea what your finances are like) might be a bit selfish, but not as much as a tossing it at him and saying merry fucking christmas just because your idea didn't work out.

He's probably more pissed & hurt at how you acted than anything right now...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117

Not at all.

People that buy themselves big things like this around Christmastime are not that smart. At least if you are going to, drop some hints and see if someone has an adverse reaction to you buying that item, then DON'T BUY IT.
  • LieslLiesl Posts: 64
    $700 u.s!!!! jeasussss
  • hey off topic, but are you the guy who got fired from the car wash a couple years ago?

Haha. Yep, that's me. Good memory. What does that have to do with anything now?
    hey off topic, but are you the guy who got fired from the car wash a couple years ago?

Haha. Yep, that's me. Good memory. What does that have to do with anything now?

:lol:
    just one of the oddest threads i've ever seen and your name reminded me of it somehow. i trust you've found work? haha
    www.myspace.com
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I wonder if this will work out like that beautiful famous story?
    He sells his watch to buy a comb for her beautiful long hair. She sells her hair to buy a lovely watch chain for his beloved pocket watch. The gifts mean nothing and everything. It's just the love shared. Hug and make up and get back to the basics. I think the story ends in the bestest lovemaking of all! and thats a great gift! :D
  • Well I haven't received my SS gift yet...I'll look for a big box with towels
    in the mail to come soon....LOL :lol::lol:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."