Christmas gift help!

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Here's the dilemma..

I met a girl a month ago. We've been on 4 or 5 dates. I hadn't planned on doing anything for Christmas, but we're going out twice this weekend and her family wants to meet me, so I guess it's going pretty good.

Problem is, it's so early and I hadn't planned on doing anything besides wishing her a merry Christmas, but she obviously means business if she wants me to meet her family.

Here's my idea, and I need thoughts and ideas.. I'll just get her a card, maybe right something cute in it like "this coupon is good for a free dinner with me" or something along those lines.

I don't want to go all out and get her a present, I wouldn't even know what to get or what she plans on doing, but a simple card and dinner should be ok, right? That way if she feels bad she didn't do anything, I could just tell her I was going to take her out to dinner regardless.

Thoughts?

P.S. and no dick in a box.. yet. 8-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edited December 2010
    Give her a Christmas plant (like a poinsettia) and some nice chocolate at the very least! It won't cost you much, but it'll be a nice romantic gesture.
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Do you know much about her so far? Hobbies? Likes coffee? Something small to put in with the gift cert for dinner with you? I like the idea of what you said, but even something small from or about something or somewhere she likes would be a nice touch to show her that you are paying attention and learning a bit about her if she is indeed getting serious? Just a thought...:-) Good Luck!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Get her something PJ and it's win win because if she likes it, Nookie for you xmas night!!! If she hates it, then she's just not meant to be and you can keep it! :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    if she's the one
    take her to see ed in austrailia

if not
    fake boobs
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Great responses,

Gotta get her something, a card won't cut it dude....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    a bottle of jager and a pack of trojans

too subtle?
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Great responses,

Even though we've only been out a few times?

She likes coffee.. What could I get her coffee related?
    OK, she likes coffee.. How about the card, with note about me taking her to dinner, and maybe a $10 starbucks gift card so she can grab whatever she wants one morning?
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,167
    edited December 2010
    dude don't be too cheap, but don't go overkill either. after several dates and she is still interested then you know that she is into you. if you know that you have chemistry you need to get her something a little better than a $10 gift card for coffee. you would be better off buying her actual coffee that she can make at home and you two can make it together. you can't go wrong buying her something she can wear, a cute shirt or a cute hat or something. a lot of women are wearing hats lately. or if you can cook, make her dinner at your place or something. or something you can do is take her to the mall shopping for your family and ask for her opinion on things. but pay very close attention to what she says she likes or what she says is cute. but just be sure to pay attention so that you can pick up on what she likes and get her something later.

whatever you do, you have to put more into it than a gift card.

just my 2 cents, but i am probably not an authority by any stretch, being single at 35 and all lol..
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    dude don't be too cheap, but don't go overkill either. if you know that you have chemistry you need to get her something a little better than a $10 gift card for coffee. you would be better off buying her actual coffee that she can make at home and you two can make it together. you can't go wrong buying her something she can wear, a cute shirt or a cute hat or something. a lot of women are wearing hats lately. or if you can cook, make her dinner at your place or something. or something you can do is take her to the mall shopping for your family and ask for her opinion on things. but pay very close attention to what she says she likes or what she says is cute. but just be sure to pay attention so that you can pick up on what she likes and get her something later.

whatever you do, you have to put more into it than a gift card.

just my 2 cents, but i am probably not an authority by any stretch, being single at 35 and all lol..
    Ah, crap! Too cheap? It's about the thought, right? If I spend a lot and she gets me nothing, I'll just make her feel bad. Did I not mention I was taking her for dinner too?

I don't know if she has a coffee machine, so coffee may be a bad idea. What is wrong with just enough for a trip to starbucks, a card for the thought and an offer for dinner with me? I JUST MET THE GIRL!!!
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Great responses,

Even though we've only been out a few times?

Yep, coffee related, what about a coffee mug, fill it with nice chocolates or something...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • yeah but if you get her a bag of nice coffee she is not going to know what you spent. but if you get her a $10 starbucks gift card she is gonna know what you spent. then she might think you are cheap,

be mysterious my friend..

yeah but if you get her a bag of nice coffee she is not going to know what you spent. but if you get her a $10 starbucks gift card she is gonna know what you spent. then she might think you are cheap,

OK, so no gift card.. but what if she doesn't have a coffee maker? I barely know her!
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,167
    edited December 2010
    4 or 5 dates is enough to know some things about her. what do you guys talk about? if you have seen her several times and you like her, maybe do something that reminds her of how you met or something funny that may have happened on a prior date. in my experience, most women i have dated like it when you remember things like that.

if she likes coffee chances are she has a coffee maker. she would not drop $6 at starbucks every day, that adds up..if you ever get to go to her place look around the counter and see if one is there. if not throw the coffee idea out the window, as cuisinarts are not cheap... i was just offering suggestions.

good luck man, i don't know her so i can't offer any more help lol...

i guess i should be glad i do not have your dilemma...
    yeah but if you get her a bag of nice coffee she is not going to know what you spent. but if you get her a $10 starbucks gift card she is gonna know what you spent. then she might think you are cheap,

OK, so no gift card.. but what if she doesn't have a coffee maker? I barely know her!
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on

I'm the only female that answered this thread and you didn't even notice what I said.

I'll say it again.

Bare minimum is chocolate and flowers or a plant.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    justam wrote:
    I'm the only female that answered this thread and you didn't even notice what I said.

I'll say it again.

:lol::lol:

i'd be more concerned about meeting her family after 5 dates :think:
    Hey! I'm a girl!!! :lol::lol: The man in my pic is my hubby!
    I agree with you, if he doesn't get her something decent, she'll be really pissed off hey? Even if she does the whole "it's okay, I didn't need a present" She's lying! :D
    justam wrote:

I'll say it again.

“ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:
    I agree with you, if he doesn't get her something decent, she'll be really pissed off hey? Even if she does the whole "it's okay, I didn't need a present" She's lying! :D

You're so right. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    :lol: On the outside, she'd be wanting to act sweet and gracious and she'll probably be like "Nooo, I'm not upset, it's about giving" and on the inside she'd be thinking "I can't believe he didn't get me shit, that's it your not getting in my bed tonight!" :lol::lol::lol:
    soup.jpg
    justam wrote:
    Loulou wrote:

You're so right. :D

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
  • I don't think the coupon thing is a good idea. I don't know how old you are--guessing early twenties--but a small, tangible, inexpensive gift would be better. Meeting the parents after 4 or 5 dates isn't really that serious. It could just mean that she's a very open person who wants to show you all of who she is--where she came from, how she got to be who she is today. My first thought was that she is trying to give you the whole picture, pallet of herself so you know what your're dealing with--cutting to the chase. Kind of like take me or leave me.
    edited December 2010
    I don't think the coupon thing is a good idea. I don't know how old you are--guessing early twenties--but a small, tangible, inexpensive gift would be better. Meeting the parents after 4 or 5 dates isn't really that serious. It could just mean that she's a very open person who wants to show you all of who she is--where she came from, how she got to be who she is today. My first thought was that she is trying to give you the whole picture, pallet of herself so you know what your're dealing with--cutting to the chase. Kind of like take me or leave me.
    Ah, crap.. I'm 32. And this was an online thing... I've known her for four weeks! We aren't a couple, we're seeing each other.

Did I mention we are going out for her birthday tomorrow? I'm paying for dinner.

I barely know this person. I don't even know what to do.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on

• P.S. and no dick in a box.. yet. 8-)

Yes, a vibrater would be a bit forward. lol. being the first gift and all. :? lol :D
  • Ah, crap.. I'm 32. And this was an online thing... I've known her for four weeks! We aren't a couple, we're seeing each other.

Did I mention we are going out for her birthday tomorrow? I'm paying for dinner.

I barely know this person. I don't even know what to do.

I would be straight-forward and tell her you don't want to meet her parents. 4 week isn't really that long to know someone. She should understand. If she bails on you because of it, then she's moving too fast--or she can't think for herself because she needs her parents' approval so badly.

• P.S. and no dick in a box.. yet. 8-)

Yes, a vibrater would be a bit forward. lol. being the first gift and all. :? lol :D

I know what you meant by the way...just joshin'.

• She likes coffee.. What could I get her coffee related?

I wouldn't go the gift card route. Take a chance and get a gourmet flavor you think she'd like. I'm loving hazelnut right now. I see alot of women buying hazelnut coffee creamer. ;) and I'm a grocery cashier. just sayin'.

I wouldn't go the gift card route. Take a chance and get a gourmet flavor you think she'd like. I'm loving hazelnut right now. I see alot of women buying hazelnut coffee creamer. ;) and I'm a grocery cashier. just sayin'.
    OK, I'll assume she has a coffee maker.. and buy her a nice bag of coffee, xmas card, and dinner offer.. Is this ok with everyone? lol.
  • yeah but if you get her a bag of nice coffee she is not going to know what you spent. but if you get her a $10 starbucks gift card she is gonna know what you spent. then she might think you are cheap,

I agree. don't let her know what you spent. I think its just more classy. Coffee also shows a subtle sign of sophistication... maybe--except for all the sugar, kiddie flavored shit out there. lean to the grown-up side more to show her you're mature. But don't meet her parents after only 4 weeks. Then you'll be giving into everything she wants to do--she'll dominate the friendship, dude.
  • OK, I'll assume she has a coffee maker.. and buy her a nice bag of coffee, xmas card, and dinner offer.. Is this ok with everyone? lol.

whoa now! slow down there buddy. that's a bit much don't ya think? :D lol. You could always offer YOUR coffee maker as a solution--going back to your place and all. ;);) lol.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    i'd be more concerned about meeting her family after 5 dates :think:

it's been discussed. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited December 2010
    oooh!!!! AN ORNAMENT Us girls go gaga over pretty, glittery, shiny ornaments!!! Have you seen any of those Pier 1 Import commercials lately? They're onto something there, dude. Glass blown ornaments preferrably--lots of glitter.