Christmas gift help!

Comments

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    "Call me Mr. Tubesteak." :lol:
    :lol::lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • justam wrote:
    Actually, justam's gift sounded really good also. You really can't go wrong with flowers and chocolate.
    thats sooo generic though. Every girl likes those. How about I get her something she specifically likes?

Save the flowers for valentines day. I don't need advise on that. I'm not getting her flowers.

Yeah. Can't do anything that girls actually LIKE. :roll:

When we were dating, my husband was the master of buying gifts. They weren't expensive (because we were students) but he'd always get something sweet. Flowers, plants, little French pastries, chocolate, tea, lotion...stuff that girls actually like...

:mrgreen:

You tell him, girl! :D
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    As for a serious reply. Make it something that will last if you two make a real go of it and stay together for awhile. I did that the first time I met my wife, we had been friends for a long time (online) but when we first met I gave her something we still have and is special to both of us.

I suggest a nice blanket or something like that, it will last a long time and she will think of you in the short term.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I love you guys, and I appreciate the advise, but this thread got me no where. :?

Card, coffee she likes, dinner date and merry xmas kiss. What is wrong with that?

I'm not buying her anything serious. I don't know if I want to be serious with her. We are still getting to know each other.
  • Okay, here's what I think.

candles, flowers, chocolates, coffee, tea, etc. is keeping things on the slow route

tickets to the Nutcracker...MAGICAL...don't be suprised if you end up back at her place afterwards. :D lol
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I love you guys, and I appreciate the advise, but this thread got me no where. :?

Card, coffee she likes dinner date and merry xmas kiss. What is wrong with that?

if it we i, i'd listen to the ladies...they knop what girls like because, well, they're girls :P

remember, in these types of situations it's best to not think like a guy :thumbup:
  • I love you guys, and I appreciate the advise, but this thread got me no where. :?

lol. nowhere? you have a ton of ideas. you just have to sleep on it and give it some more thought. sex is much better if you respect the girl. maybe meeting her parents wouldn't really be that bad at all, eh? ;)
  • Actually wine really isn't a bad idea. I think you'd be safe with wine, dude. sorry for being so confusing.

wine and chocolate for sure. I'm pulling for ya, dude. I'll keep you getting laid in my prayers the next couple of nights, kay? :D take care and Merry Christmas!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Actually wine really isn't a bad idea. I think you'd be safe with wine, dude. sorry for being so confusing.

wine and chocolate for sure. I'm pulling for ya, dude. I'll keep you getting laid in my prayers the next couple of nights, kay? :D
    OK. wine.. or coffee.. good idea!

I'll save the flowers and magic rub down lotions for valentines day if we make it that far. lol
  • Buy her a gift. Only good can come from it. Shit I buy my pets gifts. Girls like getting stuff..Dahhhh! You want a 6th date?
  • justam wrote:
    OK, I'll assume she has a coffee maker.. and buy her a nice bag of coffee, xmas card, and dinner offer.. Is this ok with everyone? lol.

I'm not sure you're going to give her the impression that you like her very much with this gift but it seems like you've already decided and just wanted people to agree with you. :?
    So what's your opinion? Every seems to have a different one!

What is wrong with dinner, card, and coffee for someone I just met?
    Nothing....

Go for it!!!!

But I will add this....

She is taking you to meet her parents??? Right???

Which seems to me that SHE is somewhat serious about YOU....right???

Meeting the parents is a BIG move.....right???

A nice romantic dinner, a card, coffee.....I see nothing wrong with this....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,009
    Actually wine really isn't a bad idea. I think you'd be safe with wine, dude. sorry for being so confusing.

wine and chocolate for sure. I'm pulling for ya, dude. I'll keep you getting laid in my prayers the next couple of nights, kay? :D
    OK. wine.. or coffee.. good idea!

I'll save the flowers and magic rub down lotions for valentines day if we make it that far. lol
    what about a gift card for a spa day? full package, massage, etc.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I would say something that looks like you've spent time thinking about it. Maybe get a little wicker basket thingy and put in it, some nice coffee, some nice chocs, nice candles, half bottle of wine, some nice soap or something.

That you've made it up yourself will make it seem like you've really made the effort, but it shouldn't come across as too heavy.
  • Claireack wrote:
    I would say something that looks like you've spent time thinking about it. Maybe get a little wicker basket thingy and put in it, some nice coffee, some nice chocs, nice candles, half bottle of wine, some nice soap or something.

That you've made it up yourself will make it seem like you've really made the effort, but it shouldn't come across as too heavy.
    A Half bottle of wine? is he supposed to drink the other half to loosen up before meeting the rents? :lol:
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Claireack wrote:

A Half bottle of wine? is he supposed to drink the other half to loosen up before meeting the rents? :lol:

:lol::lol: Noooooo!!

You know - them little bottles of wine you get!!
  • Hey, you seem to really want to give the relationship the best possible chance of moving forward, or at least it seems that way from the posts I see.

The coffee?? I'm not sure about that one. Dinner?? Well you're gonna do that anyway when you're dating. What does she like to do for hobbies? Is she a runner? Yoga? Artist?

Gifts are tricky. Is there anything that you both share an interest in? For example, 2 years ago I was dating someone at Christmas who I met cycling. That was our common interest that led to our relationship. We were together for a about 2 months at Christmas and he gave me a pair of cycling glasses and some other smaller gifts. Point is, it was thoughtful cause cycling is my passion and yet not over the top for being early in the relationship. But I caution you that as time goes on certain gifts are important. Fast forward to Valentines Day and the idiot gave me a jersey from Marty's Bike Shop (yes, it's my bike shop and it's great...but for valentine's Day, really??) The birthday gift was even worse so I'll stop here.

Just be thoughtful of her interests and don't go over the top for Xmas....down the line you'll have to step it up.

Best of luck, you sound like you'd make a good boyfriend.
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    Yankee candle and a card...done.
  • Claireack wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

:lol::lol: Noooooo!!

You know - them little bottles of wine you get!!
    I figured that's what you were talking about, but I couldnt resist ;)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Mcam55 wrote:
    Yankee candle and a card...done.

Oh, God no. :roll:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    taking her out to dinner? um, no.
    cooking her dinner? um, yes.
    a nice card with something you wrote in it? um, yes. (can you construct a poem all by yourself?)
    a christmas stocking hanging on the wall with her name on it, with her christmas card? um, yes.
    in stocking... i think she likes coffee

4 or 5 dates and no extra-fun time?
    um... you kids are pretty tame these days, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Definitely get her a gift...doesn't have to be anything too expensive, but a little token that shows you put some thought into it. Don't do the gift card - too impersonal and she'll know exactly what you spent. And I agree with others - dinner is something you're going to spring for when you're dating anyway. Personally I would love to get a little beaded jewelry box or a small crystal perfume bottle...a pretty little trinket but not too too personal. Although she might expect you to fill the jewelry box down the road :shock: :lol: Or if she likes to read or loves movies you could get her some books or DVDs in her genre of choice...shows that you pay attention to what she likes. Whatever you do...don't get an appliance...that never ends well. :| just saying :P
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    ^^ What's wrong with the vacuum I got you?
  • VoidOfMan wrote:
    ^^ What's wrong with the vacuum I got you?
    :twisted: Don't even get me started!

:lol:

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    a few months ago, there was a commercial on tv where two friends are in their pajamas drinking coffee and the little blonde begins jumping up and down, showing her rock, saying "he went to Jared." Better hope that doesn't come on tv if you are watching it together. I bet she wants a ring for Christmas...
    (jared is a jeweler is you never saw the commercial.)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Definitely get her a gift...doesn't have to be anything too expensive, but a little token that shows you put some thought into it. Don't do the gift card - too impersonal and she'll know exactly what you spent. And I agree with others - dinner is something you're going to spring for when you're dating anyway. Personally I would love to get a little beaded jewelry box or a small crystal perfume bottle...a pretty little trinket but not too too personal. Although she might expect you to fill the jewelry box down the road :shock: :lol: Or if she likes to read or loves movies you could get her some books or DVDs in her genre of choice...shows that you pay attention to what she likes. Whatever you do...don't get an appliance...that never ends well. :| just saying :P

That's what I meant --- if you get her something related to what she likes to do...it shows you're paying attention. (Just not coffee. ;) )

While you're staying away from appliances - stay away from jerseys, too. The ex gave me a Rangers hockey jersey for my birthday. I don't even like hockey. :lolno:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    Definitely get her a gift...doesn't have to be anything too expensive, but a little token that shows you put some thought into it. Don't do the gift card - too impersonal and she'll know exactly what you spent. And I agree with others - dinner is something you're going to spring for when you're dating anyway. Personally I would love to get a little beaded jewelry box or a small crystal perfume bottle...a pretty little trinket but not too too personal. Although she might expect you to fill the jewelry box down the road :shock: :lol: Or if she likes to read or loves movies you could get her some books or DVDs in her genre of choice...shows that you pay attention to what she likes. Whatever you do...don't get an appliance...that never ends well. :| just saying :P

That's what I meant --- if you get her something related to what she likes to do...it shows you're paying attention. (Just not coffee. ;) )

While you're staying away from appliances - stay away from jerseys, too. The ex gave me a Rangers hockey jersey for my birthday. I don't even like hockey. :lolno:

why??? thats an awesome gift !!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • PJGirl321 wrote:
    Definitely get her a gift...doesn't have to be anything too expensive, but a little token that shows you put some thought into it. Don't do the gift card - too impersonal and she'll know exactly what you spent. And I agree with others - dinner is something you're going to spring for when you're dating anyway. Personally I would love to get a little beaded jewelry box or a small crystal perfume bottle...a pretty little trinket but not too too personal. Although she might expect you to fill the jewelry box down the road :shock: :lol: Or if she likes to read or loves movies you could get her some books or DVDs in her genre of choice...shows that you pay attention to what she likes. Whatever you do...don't get an appliance...that never ends well. :| just saying :P

I guess he was trying to convert you? :roll: :lol:
    Which is another great tip. Make sure you get something she likes, not something you would like.

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Here's my idea, and I need thoughts and ideas.. I'll just get her a card, maybe right something cute in it like "this coupon is good for a free dinner with me" or something along those lines.

I don't think the coupon idea is cheap in the slightest ... I think it's a great idea,really sweet ... given with the card I think it's a great nod that you have given thought but not gone over the top ... just remember next year she may give you this Christmas list

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7T0IK99ELs

:lol::o :roll: :wtf:

... so start saving :lol:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i wonder if the scheduled the wedding today over birthday dinner
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    i wonder if the scheduled the wedding today over birthday dinner
    im thinking so, can't wait to find out.