Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    Owls destroyed St. Bonaventure to go 31-0 at home vs. the Bonnies.

It was 17-17 at one point, but was never interesting after that. These are the kind of games that make me long for being in the Big East or ACC.

just beat the living hell out of that conference and get as high a seed as possible.

So much for this. Owls got destroyed by Duquesne. Fuck you Pittsburgh. Your city sucks. :twisted:

that sucks dude...

huge win for nova today though. i guess this was a trap game with the meat of the big east schedule starting on monday.

down 12 with 9 minutes to go and they reel off 19 straight! big character win on a day when a couple guys were out, a couple guys were not playing well, and with mouph in foul trouble seemingly all game. wayns and fischer were clutch down the stretch. i'm really happy with how this team's progressing...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    time for the hawks to fire phil..theyve turned into the joke of the big 5 and A 10 and he doesnt give a shit still does his stupid fuckin hawk talk every week when he should be out actually tryin to recruit
  • Options
    jconn12 wrote:
    time for the hawks to fire phil..theyve turned into the joke of the big 5 and A 10 and he doesnt give a shit still does his stupid fuckin hawk talk every week when he should be out actually tryin to recruit

i actually like his show just for the joe lunardi insight. he had jerardi on last week too. that dude knows his college basketball almost as well as he does the ponies...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    in today's bracketology, lunardi has temple as a 7 seed with nova at 3. he did it on tuesday due to all the big games yesterday.

he's got old dominion as a possible 2nd round match up for nova :o:mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,402
    in today's bracketology, lunardi has temple as a 7 seed with nova at 3. he did it on tuesday due to all the big games yesterday.

You can do things with a 6 or 7 seed (or 10/11). 8 or 9 seed is a killer with facing the 1 in Round 2. Actually I think several of Temple's Elite 8 runs were as 6/7/10/11 seeds.

Let's see: 1988 #1 seed, 1991 #10 seed, 1993, #7 seed, 1999 #6 seed, 2001 #11 seed. I was right!

Old Dominion... Look out! :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    jconn12 wrote:

it's not happening. his contract runs until 2016 (ouch). best case scenario is he resigns but i don't see that happening either. we are stuck with him developing these freshman into something hopefully worthwhile over the next year. Hawks got Rhode Island at home tonight then 3 straight at the Palestra with Penn saturday, LaSalle next wednesday and Temple at a ridiculous 11:00 am saturday start time on the 29th.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    jconn12 wrote:
    and Temple at a ridiculous 11:00 am saturday start time on the 29th.

Hope the Owls wake up for that one. Sounds dangerous.

First things first: Penn at home tonight. Should be a beatdown. Too bad we already lost the Big 5.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

You can do things with a 6 or 7 seed (or 10/11). 8 or 9 seed is a killer with facing the 1 in Round 2. Actually I think several of Temple's Elite 8 runs were as 6/7/10/11 seeds.

Let's see: 1988 #1 seed, 1991 #10 seed, 1993, #7 seed, 1999 #6 seed, 2001 #11 seed. I was right!

Old Dominion... Look out! :lol:

yeah 6 or 7 would be nice. i wonder how much higher they can get considering the rest of their schedule....it would be nice to give duke a run for their money. i don't think they're unbeatable, as last week proved.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    yeah 6 or 7 would be nice. i wonder how much higher they can get considering the rest of their schedule....it would be nice to give duke a run for their money. i don't think they're unbeatable, as last week proved.

Tough to do in Cameron. When Duke plays an actual road game (4 or 5 times a year) they look vulnerable. Besides, we got our asses kicked by Duke-ane. :roll: (I know I misspelled that.)

• Options

Tough to do in Cameron. When Duke plays an actual road game (4 or 5 times a year) they look vulnerable. Besides, we got our asses kicked by Duke-ane. :roll: (I know I misspelled that.)

don't you think that loss may turn out to be an aberation though? temple isn't a great shooting team to begin with but they shot like 30% in that game, right?

i forgot the duke game was at duke...nevemind! battling them tough, though, would still help with the selection committee though..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    don't you think that loss may turn out to be an aberation though? temple isn't a great shooting team to begin with but they shot like 30% in that game, right?

i forgot the duke game was at duke...nevemind! battling them tough, though, would still help with the selection committee though..

I sure hope it was an aberration. You don't want to down 22-2 to anybody. After tonight, big test at Xavier on Saturday.

I guess we'll get Duke at "home" next year; I'm sure it'll be at WTF Center. :twisted: They are punks. At least last time they gave us pretty nice seats for that game, even if the crowd was 65% Duke fans.

• Options

I sure hope it was an aberration. You don't want to down 22-2 to anybody. After tonight, big test at Xavier on Saturday.

I guess we'll get Duke at "home" next year; I'm sure it'll be at WTF Center. :twisted: They are punks. At least last time they gave us pretty nice seats for that game, even if the crowd was 65% Duke fans.

how many more years do you play them?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    how many more years do you play them?

???

Probably a home-and-home. They do that every 5 years or so.

• Options
    Well, Penn played pretty tough, actually getting it to a 5-pt game in the 2nd half, but the Owls took care of business with a double-digit win.

Big one at Xavier on Saturday.

• Options
    looks like no let down game for the duquies either...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

and the greatest triple-double in Big 5 history for Jerell Williams, 21 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 TURNOVERS.

my hawks got Penn on saturday and LaSalle next wednesday, lose those 2 and can see us not winning another game. pathetic. although CJ Aiken had another 7 blocked shots last night to add to his 2nd in the country stats.
  • Options

Maybe they're better than I'm giving them credit for.

• Options

Maybe they're better than I'm giving them credit for.

99 rpi :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

And Nova still stinks.
    7-9 loss team in the Big East this year. Other than shoot foul shots they really don't do anything great. Other than Stokes they can't shoot a lick and have no depth at all. By end of january they will .500 in the Big East and people will be wondering what is wrong with them. They've really only played 2 good basketball teams, tennesee and temple and one decent team in ucla. the rest have all sucked.

and Jaegs check Wayns and Fisher's 3-point percentage this year, it's putrid. wayns is good but nowhere near as good as Lowry. Lowry was so physical and tough. Wayns will not get to the basket at will in the Big East.

umm, care to retract this yet?

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Nice win Juggs. That's huge.

Owls came up small in another road A-10 game. This team has good players, but somehow just doesn't work all that well. I don't know what it is. Definitely not my favorite Temple team of all time.

• Options

Owls came up small in another road A-10 game. This team has good players, but somehow just doesn't work all that well. I don't know what it is. Definitely not my favorite Temple team of all time.

thanks. biggest win since the final four year. i didn't expect them to be this good this early. thought they had a chance to play like this but figured it would take most of the season to get to that point. they have a chance to go deep in march...

i saw bits and pieces of the temple game. surprised at their defense. tough to win when allowing xavier to hit over 60% from beyond the arc...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

thanks. biggest win since the final four year. i didn't expect them to be this good this early. thought they had a chance to play like this but figured it would take most of the season to get to that point. they have a chance to go deep in march...

i saw bits and pieces of the temple game. surprised at their defense. tough to win when allowing xavier to hit over 60% from beyond the arc...

That's an ancient Temple weakness: defending the 3-point shot.

So, I usually pull for 'Nova, but last year, with them getting a #2 seed, I had trouble stomaching it and I was happy they lost to St. Mary's. This year, they seem to be legit, so I'll be pulling for them. They're the Big 5's best chance for a deep run, although I'm not counting out my Owls just yet.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

And Nova still stinks.
    7-9 loss team in the Big East this year. Other than shoot foul shots they really don't do anything great. Other than Stokes they can't shoot a lick and have no depth at all. By end of january they will .500 in the Big East and people will be wondering what is wrong with them. They've really only played 2 good basketball teams, tennesee and temple and one decent team in ucla. the rest have all sucked.

and Jaegs check Wayns and Fisher's 3-point percentage this year, it's putrid. wayns is good but nowhere near as good as Lowry. Lowry was so physical and tough. Wayns will not get to the basket at will in the Big East.

yes no problem admitting that they do not stink right now. playing as well as anyone in the country at the moment. they weren't very good in the pre-conference season in my opinion but have played much better than anticipated. not sure how you can anticipate a 20% 3-point shooter banging in 30 footers in the 1st half like Wayns did on saturday though. Jay has this team playing harder than pretty much anyone in the country. I still think they have some deficiencies but can't argue with their success. They have done the things they needed to do in each game to win (like bang in 3-pointers at a much higher rate than previous games against Syracuse's zone) . last year they started 20-1 and ended 5-7 the rest of the way so still a ways to go. besides still plenty of time for scumbag fisher to sleep with someone else's girlfriend and ruin another season for them :o

Temple - how is it possible that Lavoy Allen can go through a game without scoring. Frigtenening that a guy with so much talent is wasting it. Not sure what is in that kids head but no way he should be going scoreless in a game even against a team like Xavier.

Hawks - just when you think we've reached rock bottom we fall deeper and deeper into the abyss. looking at possibly not winning again this year. it is ugly. got LaSalle on wednesday night but that is 1 of only about 3 winnable games left on the schedule. Still have to play Temple 2x, Richmond 2x, and Xavier. Martelli will probably survive no matter what happens (personally i think he should resign) but we are looking at the worst record in the past 60 years of the program if they don't win at least 2 more. crazy to think it's gotten this bad. But i am not a fraud fan and will continue being a die-hard. unlike some i don't pretend or claim to be a huge fan or a team and give away or sell tickets to games
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

And Nova still stinks.

yes no problem admitting that they do not stink right now. playing as well as anyone in the country at the moment. they weren't very good in the pre-conference season in my opinion but have played much better than anticipated. not sure how you can anticipate a 20% 3-point shooter banging in 30 footers in the 1st half like Wayns did on saturday though. Jay has this team playing harder than pretty much anyone in the country. I still think they have some deficiencies but can't argue with their success. They have done the things they needed to do in each game to win (like bang in 3-pointers at a much higher rate than previous games against Syracuse's zone) . last year they started 20-1 and ended 5-7 the rest of the way so still a ways to go. besides still plenty of time for scumbag fisher to sleep with someone else's girlfriend and ruin another season for them :o

:thumbup:

this is a much better team than last year dude. much more cohesive. they'll still lose a few games in the next 6 weeks. no doubt. so far so good though. go cats! :mrgreen:

re wayns: judging from past experience is how you figure he'd bounce back. he shot 32% last year, not great at all...but much better than how he started. sooner or later he'd start making them. just a matter of time. same thing with fisch. after a horrendous start he's up around 34% or 35%.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i love lunardi's bracketology every monday.

nova is a 2 seed. temple is sitting at 8 right now.

he has nova with a 10% shot at the 1 seed too. i'd be shocked if that happens but this is the first time they've been in that mix which is nice.

go. cats.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Temple - how is it possible that Lavoy Allen can go through a game without scoring. Frigtenening that a guy with so much talent is wasting it. Not sure what is in that kids head but no way he should be going scoreless in a game even against a team like Xavier.

Allen is a gigantic disappointment this season. I thought he wanted to get drafted by the NBA. :?

This team has good players, but they just don't have the cohesion. I don't know what it is. They are relying on one guy to get hot and score 25 points a game, and if that doesn't happen they have problems, even at home. The St. Louis game was a torture-fest, and the Penn game was much closer than the 17-pt margin would indicate.
    nova is a 2 seed. temple is sitting at 8 right now.

8 seed. Uh oh. Just keep dropping to 10 or 11 if that's the case. :lol:

• Options
    trap game for the mighty villanova wildcats with g town looming on sunday. providence isn't very good, but they have beaten louisville and alabama at the dunk this year. kenpom gives nova an 80% chance of winning by 9 points. for some reason i'm not as confident as i should be heading into this one. let's hope jay keeps them focused...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    trap game for the mighty villanova wildcats with g town looming on sunday. providence isn't very good, but they have beaten louisville and alabama at the dunk this year. kenpom gives nova an 80% chance of winning by 9 points. for some reason i'm not as confident as i should be heading into this one. let's hope jay keeps them focused...

yup. had a bad a feeling about this one.... :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Hard to avoid those trap games.

Owls got the job done vs. Charlotte last night. It was nice to see Allen dunk the ball a couple times.

I didn't want to drive to the game, so I relied on SEPTA to get me home. Got to 69th St. Station and found out they stopped running all buses. So I had to take the 100 line to about 2 miles from my house, then had a fun walk home. Nice little adventure. :lol:

• Options
    "I believe the hawk is dead!" :lol:

jk pjhawks - I actually thought they didn't play too bad today. The Owls finally played a good road game and exerted their will over an inferior team. About time.

Didn't see any of the Nova game because I had to go shovel my driveway after the Temple game. Georgetown is a pretty unpredictable team.