Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Well as far as first halves go....they don't come much more dominant than that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    Lets go St. Joe's.

May need to hit a lot of 3's, to have a shot at Oregon.
  • Options

Well as far as first halves go....they don't come much more dominant than that.

You ain't lying.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    Nova looks to be one of the better teams still left. I think St, Joe's might pull off the upset against Oregon later tonight.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Is anybody in the general vicinity of the this Hawaii/Maryland game? $100 if you can get Gottlieb to shut the fuck up.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    DewieCox said:

Is anybody in the general vicinity of the this Hawaii/Maryland game? $100 if you can get Gottlieb to shut the fuck up.

I love Gottleib. guys knows his shit on college hoops and not just the big schools like all these other turds. yea he is a bit arrogant but very knowledgeable dude.

Mixed emotions on my Hawks. Totally unexpected great season with 28 wins, an A10 Tourney title and one NCAA win but disappointed in the ending. up 7 with 6 minutes left against a #1 seed and only score 6 more points the rest of the way. Very disappointing missing out on a great opportunity to get to a sweet 16 and to play a very beatable Duke team. fuck.

Nova was the lock of the decade yesterday against a truly bad (for the past few weeks) Iowa team. Miami should be a good fun game. Similar teams and lots of perimeter talent.

Overall pretty damn good 4 days of hoops. some incredible finishes and still completely shocked Michigan State lost in the 1st round. UNI blew a 12 point lead in something like 40 seconds last night. Wiscy hits an incredibly tough shot at the buzzer. friday night with the Hawks winning at buzzer and UNI with a half court short within like one minute of each other. gotta love the NCAA tournament and especially the 1st weekend. great stuff.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I was pulling for St Joe's for ya, pjhawks! Sucks it didn't work out, but a valiant effort nonetheless.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    LaSalle lost to Nova by 29 and Miami by 40+. Can I determine the winner of tonight's game based on that? Hahaha.

I just sold my tix for Friday night for $850ea. I really wanted to go bu that is just a ridiculous amount. I'll be going on Sunday though.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

LaSalle lost to Nova by 29 and Miami by 40+. Can I determine the winner of tonight's game based on that? Hahaha.

I just sold my tix for Friday night for $850ea. I really wanted to go bu that is just a ridiculous amount. I'll be going on Sunday though.

damn nice score on those tickets. I went to the Wells Fargo about 10 years ago (Jay Williams on Duke team) to see the regional finals and to be honest wasn't thrilled with it. at that time (still?) no beer sales and seats were in 2nd level so not bad but not great. I thought at that time they did a really poor job of keeping you informed of the other games going on. I remember between games they didn't put the other game on the jumbotron (or whatever we are calling them now) so everyone had to go out into concourse and crowd around the bar to watch the end of the game in the other regional. was kind of stupid to me. Of course that problem won't occur on Sunday but tomorrow night would.

Have no feeling on Nova-Miami tonight. Either way I don't see Nova being Kansas or Maryland on Saturday. and will probably be a little sick to my stomach watching Oregon against Duke tomorrow night realizing how close my Hawks were to being in that game.
  • Options
    Hawks were so close. Was that Jay Williams team when they beat USC?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Just looked it up, it was. Boozer off the bench scoring 1pt.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Scalabrine
    I was there as well. I was also there for the Dook v. UK classic.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    JK_Livin said:

That's sweet. Can't believe how expensive these tickets are. Have been keeping an eye them but f that.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

WOW>nice score & i understand you couldn't pass that much $$$$$$ up.

My friend and I are going tomorrow night, but we may sell Sunday's tickets.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Scalabrine

i turned down free tickets to sit in the last row at the Spectrum for that Duke-UK game. One of the greatest games ever. Every time i see a highlight of the Laettner shot I always mention how I turned down tickets to that game. oh well.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    NOVA!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    All gravy at this point and Saturday would be a big upset....but if they shoot 63% from the field, 67% from 3, 95% from the line again, fuck it, they can beat anyone..

30 point win....19 point win....23 point win---that's what you call STEAM ROLLING to the Elite 8

GO CATS

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Last post here and then I will stop annoying you people--

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/3/24/11302698/villanova-miami-ncaa-tournament-2016-sweet-16

Villanova’s Sweet 16 win was the best offensive performance by any team all season

Miami played a quality offensive game on Thursday, but the Wildcats still blew them out with an incredibly hot shooting night.

You could say that Villanova is playing better than any team in college basketball right now, but that might be doing them a disservice. Villanova's 92-69 beatdown of Miami to book a spot in the Elite Eight was the best offensive performance by any team in any game all season:

1.60 points per possession for Villanova. The best offensive game for any team the ENTIRE SEASON
    — Jordan Sperber (@hoopvision68) March 25, 2016

The game between the Wildcats and Hurricanes only had 57 possessions, which is 12 slower than the average Division I basketball game and the second-slowest game of the tournament. But the Wildcats were so hot, they managed 92 points.

Kris Jenkins hit 5-of-6 threes, Ryan Arcidiacono hit 4-of-5 threes, and as a team the Wildcats went 18-for-19 from the free throw line. I mean, they hit shots like this:

The result is that even though Miami played a legitimately good offensive game -- their 1.21 points per possession would be top 5 in basketball if they kept it up the course of a season -- they got blown off the dang court, losing by 23. Miami entered the game 31st in the nation in Ken Pomeroy's adjusted defense ratings, and left the game 51st. The fact that a single game caused a team to drop 20 spots after a 35-game season should tell you a lot.

Combine this with a 10-for-19 shooting performance from deep in a 87-68 win over Iowa and a 13-for-28 outing in a 29-point in over UNC-Asheville, and it's safe to say the Wildcats are playing the best offensive basketball of anybody in the NCAA Tournament.

The story of Villanova the past few seasons is one of unfortunately timed poor performances. The Wildcats have generally been in the best 10 or 15 teams in the college basketball regular season, and yet they lost in the first or second round of six straight trips to the NCAA Tournament. Sometimes they played badly, sometimes an unlikely opponent had a great game, sometimes both happened. Perhaps it was bad luck, perhaps it was lack of "clutchness," perhaps it was some angry ghost cackling at Villanova basketball from the basketball heavens.

Whatever it was, Villanova has shaken it, and shaken it violently. Not only have they avoided an unfortunate crash, they're playing their best basketball of the year. And not only are they playing their best basketball of the year, they're arguably playing the best basketball anybody has played all year.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I can't stand Villanova

• Options

Last post here and then I will stop annoying you people--

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/3/24/11302698/villanova-miami-ncaa-tournament-2016-sweet-16

Villanova’s Sweet 16 win was the best offensive performance by any team all season

Miami played a quality offensive game on Thursday, but the Wildcats still blew them out with an incredibly hot shooting night.

You could say that Villanova is playing better than any team in college basketball right now, but that might be doing them a disservice. Villanova's 92-69 beatdown of Miami to book a spot in the Elite Eight was the best offensive performance by any team in any game all season:

1.60 points per possession for Villanova. The best offensive game for any team the ENTIRE SEASON
    — Jordan Sperber (@hoopvision68) March 25, 2016

The game between the Wildcats and Hurricanes only had 57 possessions, which is 12 slower than the average Division I basketball game and the second-slowest game of the tournament. But the Wildcats were so hot, they managed 92 points.

Kris Jenkins hit 5-of-6 threes, Ryan Arcidiacono hit 4-of-5 threes, and as a team the Wildcats went 18-for-19 from the free throw line. I mean, they hit shots like this:

The result is that even though Miami played a legitimately good offensive game -- their 1.21 points per possession would be top 5 in basketball if they kept it up the course of a season -- they got blown off the dang court, losing by 23. Miami entered the game 31st in the nation in Ken Pomeroy's adjusted defense ratings, and left the game 51st. The fact that a single game caused a team to drop 20 spots after a 35-game season should tell you a lot.

Combine this with a 10-for-19 shooting performance from deep in a 87-68 win over Iowa and a 13-for-28 outing in a 29-point in over UNC-Asheville, and it's safe to say the Wildcats are playing the best offensive basketball of anybody in the NCAA Tournament.

The story of Villanova the past few seasons is one of unfortunately timed poor performances. The Wildcats have generally been in the best 10 or 15 teams in the college basketball regular season, and yet they lost in the first or second round of six straight trips to the NCAA Tournament. Sometimes they played badly, sometimes an unlikely opponent had a great game, sometimes both happened. Perhaps it was bad luck, perhaps it was lack of "clutchness," perhaps it was some angry ghost cackling at Villanova basketball from the basketball heavens.

Whatever it was, Villanova has shaken it, and shaken it violently. Not only have they avoided an unfortunate crash, they're playing their best basketball of the year. And not only are they playing their best basketball of the year, they're arguably playing the best basketball anybody has played all year.

some really favorable matchups so far but they are playing great ball for sure. not surprised they have made it this far. gets exponentially tougher now though. They could be looking at a 3 game run of Kansas, Oklahoma and North Carolina (if UNC gets by Indiana tonight) to win it all. do that and that is as an impressive run as anyone has had in a long time.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

Scalabrine

i turned down free tickets to sit in the last row at the Spectrum for that Duke-UK game. One of the greatest games ever. Every time i see a highlight of the Laettner shot I always mention how I turned down tickets to that game. oh well.
    I sat in the upper level next to Eric Allen of the Eagles. I couldn't believe how short he was, I'm 6'.

Looking forward to the KU v. VU game. My Ducks are still quacking.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options

I can't stand Villanova

You're not alone. Makes these runs all the more sweet though.
    chinese-happy.jpg