Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,960

Huge game for the Big East tonight.

Go Nova.

yeah i don't know if Nova will win this game. they have it on FS1? thought it might be on espn or something.
    :neutral: shouldn't hurt the Wildcats too much in the seeding i wouldn't think. probably drop to 3 in the rankings
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited February 2016
    saw nova was down by 10+ late in the game. had to check my calendar...thought it was march already.

love it...
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer said:

saw nova was down by 10+ late in the game. had to check my calendar...thought it was march already.

love it...

also, college hoops blows anymore. it's the nfl of college sports. terribel

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Awesome double post. Totally worth it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    haha. Say Nova winds up a 2 seed, would they still keep them in the East?
    Lasalle only lost by 3.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Lasalle only lost by 3.

I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind them not playing in Philly though. They've been in some tough early round games here. Might be good to travel a little bit.

Not much difference between a 1 and 2 seed this year anyway. So much parity.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214

JK_Livin said:

Lasalle only lost by 3.

I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind them not playing in Philly though. They've been in some tough early round games here. Might be good to travel a little bit.

Tough spot for Nova last night. Not surprised at all at the loss. If they win the Big East Tourney I still think they end up with a 1. My Hawks could be on a collision course for a possible 2nd round matchup with Nova again like 2 years ago. Hawks should be in the 7-10 range (as of now) and Nova on the 1 or 2 line.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

Lasalle only lost by 3.

Tough spot for Nova last night. Not surprised at all at the loss. If they win the Big East Tourney I still think they end up with a 1. My Hawks could be on a collision course for a possible 2nd round matchup with Nova again like 2 years ago. Hawks should be in the 7-10 range (as of now) and Nova on the 1 or 2 line.
    That would be awesome
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,461
    Temple squeaks out a win today against a weak UCF team at home, but at least they didn't lose because that would've hurt as far as a NCAA birth goes.

I won't be surprised if 'Nova has a tough time with Marquette today. Need a win if they want to have a chance for a #1 seed.
  • Options
    OMG!! Rumors of Dougie Overton talking to Philly schools about head coaching gigs. Please make this happen. Bye Doc G!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

OMG!! Rumors of Dougie Overton talking to Philly schools about head coaching gigs. Please make this happen. Bye Doc G!

DR. G. is the last coach in this city to make a Sweet 16. How about that? Don't see LaSalle firing him. School is having financial issues I can't imagine they would buy him out and pay another coach. Unless his buyout is small i can't see it.

Not sure about Bruiser at Drexel but I imagine he will survive at least one more year as well.
  • Options
    thought nova might only drop to #2 in the polls when xavier and oklahoma lost. oh well, almost madness time!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    So....Big East regular season champs third year in a row. Ho hum.

Lunardi still has a possible second round matchup between Nova and St Joes. I can't imagine all the Nova hate that will emanate throughout the tri state area should that actually happen. Should be fun though. Love this time of year

GO CATS
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think St. Joe's has to at least make the finals in the A10 tourny to get in. If they lose early they ain't gonna make it in. Does the American conference have a tourny? . Does the American Conference have an automatic bid of you win the regular season?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

I think St. Joe's has to at least make the finals in the A10 tourny to get in. If they lose early they ain't gonna make it in. Does the American conference have a tourny? . Does the American Conference have an automatic bid of you win the regular season?

Yes and yes
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    There's an automatic bid for winning a regular season title?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options

the Hawks are still fine and should still be ok if they lose to GW on friday in ther quarters. A loss to GW there probably puts the Hawks in one of the play in games. If GW loses to St. Louis or George Mason in the 1st round and the Hawks lose to one of those 2 then they are probably out. The bubble is still pretty bad so I think the Hawks are going to be fine. and I think they will win Friday anyway.

regular season league champions get automatic bids to the NIT if they don't make the NCAAs. I think Temple needs to get to the finals to get an at-large.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Woops. I didn't read his post fully.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016

JK_Livin said:

i thought some leagues had that? if you won the reg. season you get an automatic bid to the tourny? like the ivy league, they don't have a championship tournament do they?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

i thought some leagues had that? if you won the reg. season you get an automatic bid to the tourny? like the ivy league, they don't have a championship tournament do they?
    No, The Ivy League does not have a Tourney. Not sure, but i think ther the only league that does'nt?
  • Options
    cutz said:

JK_Livin said:

No, The Ivy League does not have a Tourney. Not sure, but i think ther the only league that does'nt?
    Big Ten used to work that way, didn't it?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^^^^Not sure about the Big 10. Maybe back in the day they didn't?^^^^
  • Options
    cutz said:

Big 10 and Pac 10 were the last two to go to a conference tourney. Maybe a decade ago? Ivy only one left without one and there have been talks of them having one. I hope the Ivy leaves it as is though.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

cutz said:

Big 10 and Pac 10 were the last two to go to a conference tourney. Maybe a decade ago? Ivy only one left without one and there have been talks of them having one. I hope the Ivy leaves it as is though.
    Yeah, you're right. Pac 10/12 started ther Tourney around 2000 & The Big 10 started around 1998.

I don't think the Ivies should start a Tourney either. Not sure it would be worth the money for them to hold one? Leave the Ancient 8 the way it is.
  • Options
    so Nova and Temple a possible second round matchup? St. Joe's possibly an upset in the second round against Oregon?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

so Nova and Temple a possible second round matchup? St. Joe's possibly an upset in the second round against Oregon?

Great weekend for the Hawks. tough start on Friday but came through and put on a clinic today against VCU. Oregon is long which will give the Hawks trouble if they get by Cincy. Beat Cincy 1st though and take a shot at them. If gonna be an 8-9 probably the one the Hawks have a shot against so will take it. Last game of the 1st round is not great since it's late Friday night but always nice to be in the dance no matter what time.

Nova got a nice draw for the 1st weekend but the South is stacked after that. I think Nova def beats the Temple-Iowa winner.

Overall the committee pretty much fucked the mid-majors. power 5 conferences using their power. probably only going to get worse in the future.

and having Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley on just goes to show you that if you pay enough money in America you can do whatever the fuck you want. What a disgrace those 3 buffoons were on this show. They managed to take one of the best hours in sports and turn it into an unwatchable 2 hour hot mess.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Glad to see Temple make it too.

How is 'Nova in the South Region, when ther ther a #2 seed? Shouldn't they be in the East Region?

^^^Yeah, i agree about the NBA crew that now does the NCAA Tourney. Makes no sense to me.^^^^
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    Congrats and good luck to the Big 5 schools. I can't believe this show is 2 hours now. No wonder the bracket leaked. Leaning towards Oregon as my champ.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Go Cats
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Congrats and good luck to the Big 5 schools. I can't believe this show is 2 hours now. No wonder the bracket leaked. Leaning towards Oregon as my champ.

i think i may have oregon going out early.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD