Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

number 1

Congrats to Nova for finally reaching a level that both Temple and my Hawks have achieved previously. #1 in the AP Poll.
    Thanks! Hopefully Nova's season ends better than it did for the Hawks those many years ago
    both the Hawks and Temple lost in the Elite 8 their years they were #1. and of course Temple and the Hawks didn't get to play the regionals on their home court like Nova might :smirk:

Nova at Temple on the 17th will be a wild one if Nova still #1.
    No offense, but expectations are higher on the Main Line. Be a nice season to get to the Elite 8 again, but this team, in a wide open season, has a good shot to do more.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

number 1

Congrats to Nova for finally reaching a level that both Temple and my Hawks have achieved previously. #1 in the AP Poll.
    Thanks! Hopefully Nova's season ends better than it did for the Hawks those many years ago
    both the Hawks and Temple lost in the Elite 8 their years they were #1. and of course Temple and the Hawks didn't get to play the regionals on their home court like Nova might :smirk:

No offense, but expectations are higher on the Main Line. Be a nice season to get to the Elite 8 again, but this team, in a wide open season, has a good shot to do more.
    after flaming out before the sweet 16 the last few years i imagine a final 8 would be quite welcome on the main line especially if the loss comes against one of the powers. let's hope it's long before that again though :smiley:
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

number 1

after flaming out before the sweet 16 the last few years i imagine a final 8 would be quite welcome on the main line especially if the loss comes against one of the powers. let's hope it's long before that again though :smiley:
    Like I said, Elite 8 would be nice and they've been there a couple times since St Joes made that one and done run 12 or 13 years ago. Goal is to get back to final four. All about March.....which cannot get here soon enough. I hate February.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,954

pjhawks said:

number 1

Haven't they been ranked #1 before?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

pjhawks said:

number 1

Not during regular season....they've finished number 1 before, obviously
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

number 1

Not during regular season....they've finished number 1 before, obviously
    really? i would not have thought that, thought they were ranked #1 at least once before in the reg. season
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,461
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

number 1

Where did St. Joe's play that elite 8 game? I think it was real far from Philly?>LOL
  • Options
    cutz said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

number 1

Where did St. Joe's play that elite 8 game? I think it was real far from Philly?>LOL
    same place Temple in '88 lost their game. the Meadowlands
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,461
    pjhawks said:

cutz said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

number 1

same place Temple in '88 lost their game. the Meadowlands
    Yes it was. I was at the 2004 Elite 8 Game. I thought Carroll was gonna get that lose ball, and then Lucas hit that 3. I also thought Jameer Nelson's shot at the buzzer was going in, but fell just short. I know it wasn't like it could be for 'Nova, if they make it to the Regionals, but ther were a lot of St. Joe's fans at that game. It was a great game but it was a shame that SJ didn't win.
  • Options
    Would not shock me to see Temple win tomorrow. This is basically their championship game.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited February 2016

Would not shock me to see Temple win tomorrow. This is basically their championship game.

Would be sweet. Was offered a ticket yesterday but have a work thing that I need to be at. Blows
  • Options

Would be sweet. Was offered a ticket yesterday but have a work thing that I need to be at. Blows
    If it wasn't a Wednesday night, I'd be there. Try to get to this game every year or so. Usually lands on a weekend.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

If it wasn't a Wednesday night, I'd be there. Try to get to this game every year or so. Usually lands on a weekend.
    Yeah, Wednesday is though. Temple is convenient enough for me that I would definitely go if I didn't have to be at this thing. I am sure it will be a blast. That place will be wild.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    LaSalle AD is out. 10 losses in a row. Supposed to have a decent class next year. Maybe Doc G's last stand. Need a better X's & O's guy.

Everyone else seems to be doing well.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

typical Nova fan comment. if i had a nickel for every time a nova fan said something similar i'd be rich. go Temple.

Hawks have a huge one tomorrow as well at home against Dayton. Win and baring a collapse i think it secures the Hawks a ticket to the dance and moves into a tie for 1st place in the A10. 6:00 pm start so early start but can catch end of Temple-Nova.
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

LaSalle AD is out. 10 losses in a row. Supposed to have a decent class next year. Maybe Doc G's last stand. Need a better X's & O's guy.

Everyone else seems to be doing well.

3 transfers for LaSalle next year. Can't believe how little resistance they put up on the Hawks Saturday night. they had no fight in them. Take solace in LaSalle is still the last Big 5 team to make a Sweet 16.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

typical Nova fan comment. if i had a nickel for every time a nova fan said something similar i'd be rich. go Temple.

Hawks have a huge one tomorrow as well at home against Dayton. Win and baring a collapse i think it secures the Hawks a ticket to the dance and moves into a tie for 1st place in the A10. 6:00 pm start so early start but can catch end of Temple-Nova.
    Ha. You know it's the truth. Hence a court rush if they do end up winning. Guaranteed.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

Ha. You know it's the truth. Hence a court rush if they do end up winning. Guaranteed.
    they will storm the court because they are #1 not because it's Nova.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

they will storm the court because they are #1 not because it's Nova.
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/Temple-Storms-Past-No-3-Nova-79178057.html

I've witnessed them doing it first hand before.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

well so much for that theory. solid win for Nova

Also nice win for St. Joe's against a very good Dayton team
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Impressive win.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Impressive win.

Talking about LaSalle right?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Impressive win.

Talking about LaSalle right?
    Penn state...oops. Not big 5 but big win regardless. Recruiting the shit out of philly too.
  • Options

well so much for that theory. solid win for Nova

Also nice win for St. Joe's against a very good Dayton team
    huge win for the Hawks. barring a collapse this team will be dancing. incredible season. only won 13 games last year and now sitting at 22-4. and i wanted Phil gone. hard to believe Harry.

LaSalle has two wins in the A10 and they are over Dayton and the Bonnies. didn't see that one last night coming.

Nova just has an attitude that other teams don't match. they just come out and take it to you from the beginning, get up and just beat you. I hate them...but Jay's class and how hard the team plays without any chest thumping or bullshit is something to be admired. still hope they lose every game but have a ton of respect for Jay and how they play.
  • Options
    Best part was watching Brunson drop 25 while being booed all night.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    40!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JK_Livin said:

40!

i happened to see a halftime score and saw they were down like 31 or something. how did this team beat Dayton and the Bonnies? hopefully their transfers sitting out are good so they aren't this bad next year.

and seeing the info from New York Post on Delonte West is sad. Mental illness is scary shit.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    That is a crazy story about Delonte.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Huge game for the Big East tonight.

Go Nova.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Huge game for the Big East tonight.

Go Nova.

yeah i don't know if Nova will win this game. they have it on FS1? thought it might be on espn or something.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD