Smokers' Rights

1235»

Comments

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    In my area, there are certain criteria that an establishment must meet to allow smoking. I'm not sure what it is, but I think if you have a certain percentage of sales dedicated to food, then smoking is not allowed. I know some bars dont allow smoking and some do. But i'm pretty sure it is different county to county, and state to state.
    That explains it. I couldn't understand how so many could be effected by other peoples smoke as you can't smoke in any bars or restaurants over here. You can't even smoke in bars and restaurants in Hong Kong and boy do the Chinese go through some smokes.

If I went out tonight with the intention of finding a smoker to irritate me I'd have to go out of my way.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Wow, there's a lot of judging and ignorance in this thread.

Yes, smoking is initially a choice but unfortunately, when I was 9 and started smoking, I can't say I was fully educated on the dangers of them and it was only starting to become an issue. Some people said it was bad, some said it was good, I thought I'd try for myself.

I see a lot of people here complaining and giving examples of when a smoker polluted their air... but very few of these stories seem to include how you politely pointed out how it was bothering you. Did any of ya? And I mean politely!

There were times when I inadvertently smoked near to somebody who didn't like it. Sometimes people asked me politely to stop or to move... which I did immediately. Sometimes people started coughing dramatically or made a smart comment about it... I continued smoking in these cases and enjoyed it even more. Smokers are still human ya know... be nice to them... sometimes they're simply not aware of what the situation is.

And I'm off them over a year now!
    Yeah but the point we are making is not about addiction.
    Some people claim you can become addicted to coffee and i don't go around pouring my lattes on everyone. The point is the signs clearly say NO SMOKING and people do it anyways, regardless of how many people are bothered by it.

Good for you though, helen, on quitting! That's awesome :)
    More money for a big honey moon :D
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    dunkman wrote:
    Songburst wrote:
    Nobody really imposes anything on you. If you are really so concerned about 2nd hand smoke, you could avoid places that allow smoking, no? At the end of the day it's just another vice. We should outlaw drinking, gambling, fast food, casual sex, video gaming, etc. etc. while we're at it. Only then will we all be ok.

nobody has ever got cancerised by sitting next to a drinker, a gambler, a fat burger eater, two people humping or someone playing Call Of Duty.... thats the big big issue.

passive smoking actually harms people... you ignorant bunch of murdering smokers :thumbup:

And, passive smokers may eventually need extra medical care that is paid-for by the taxpayers!
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    It must be the Simpsons geek in me but all I can picture about the people that are complaining are a bunch of up-tight, uppity poseurs wearing their Buddy Holly glasses, sipping on their double-tall mocha latte and gasping "I ordered a Zima, not emphysema" when someone lights up in their general vicinity.

Perpetual second hand smoke is bad for you (ie -- mom and dad smoking in the car with you sitting there every day for 16 years). Occasional second hand smoke is nothing more than a nuisance / annoyance. You are not going to get cancer by smelling smoke at the bus stop every day.

My whole argument has simply been that business owners should have the choice to provide an establishment as smoking or not smoking and we should be capable of making a decision to patronize (or work at) a place that allows smoking. Apparently we need mom and dad to decide that for us though.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
    Songburst wrote:
    It must be the Simpsons geek in me but all I can picture about the people that are complaining are a bunch of up-tight, uppity poseurs wearing their Buddy Holly glasses, sipping on their double-tall mocha latte and gasping "I ordered a Zima, not emphysema" when someone lights up in their general vicinity.

Perpetual second hand smoke is bad for you (ie -- mom and dad smoking in the car with you sitting there every day for 16 years). Occasional second hand smoke is nothing more than a nuisance / annoyance. You are not going to get cancer by smelling smoke at the bus stop every day.

My whole argument has simply been that business owners should have the choice to provide an establishment as smoking or not smoking and we should be capable of making a decision to patronize (or work at) a place that allows smoking. Apparently we need mom and dad to decide that for us though.
    Ok but then by following your argument, MY establishment HAS made a no-smoking rule... but the coffee shop next door's patrons continue to smoke at our storefront.
    I have to sit inside for 8 hours while people smoke outside and it comes into my store... They literally sit out there all. Fucking. Day.

Its easier to write people off as pompous yuppies than to take responsibility for your own actions and acknowledge the fact that there are more people around you than just your self...
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I took my kids to the park the other day and it's a nice park but there were butts on the ground and my 1 year old picks it up...???? WTF why can't people wait until they leave the park? I don't want my kid putting that in his mouth. I'm a smoker but I know were I can and can not smoke also should not smoke. Don't smoke at the park!!
    I'll be back
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    haffajappa wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

Ok but then by following your argument, MY establishment HAS made a no-smoking rule... but the coffee shop next door's patrons continue to smoke at our storefront.
    I have to sit inside for 8 hours while people smoke outside and it comes into my store... They literally sit out there all. Fucking. Day.

Its easier to write people off as pompous yuppies than to take responsibility for your own actions and acknowledge the fact that there are more people around you than just your self...

I'll give you that one. I'll reiterate that I'm not a smoker and I actually detested smelling like smoke after a night out. I will also respectfully (after many disrespectful posts) disagree with the notion that a little exposure to second hand smoke is actually detrimental to our health. I'm sure that we weren't too far off from seeing smoke-free restaurants / bars spring up under their own volition and the fact that we mandated it pisses me off. I'd be right there with you complaining if I were at a no-smoking yuppy bar and some redneck lit up.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Songburst wrote:

Thanks for adding that little tidbit. It really helps understanding your mentality. :roll:
    Songburst wrote:
    Occasional second hand smoke is nothing more than a nuisance / annoyance. You are not going to get cancer by smelling smoke at the bus stop every day.

Wrong.
    Songburst wrote:

I agree with this to a degree. And as I said before, I do appreciate smokers rights. But businees owners have to follow A LOT of rules, not just whether or not cigarette smoking is allowed. Some can't serve beer before 1pm on sunday in certain counties. I can't drink a beer at 12:55pm on a sunday because of some religious complications? Now that is a stupid rule. But At least the attempt to minimize smoking can be considered health related. bottom line is -- it is a nuisance to many people (more and more these days), and a health risk.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Has anyone got a light?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Yeah...right here...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdW345XzzMomnnbwC8577g86XgJp6Bj8U5OwZXFQQno2zEQtQ&t=1&usg=__zfFiP_i2Cz7WYCBROVqE0R5eDvg=
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    Yeah...right here...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdW345XzzMomnnbwC8577g86XgJp6Bj8U5OwZXFQQno2zEQtQ&t=1&usg=__zfFiP_i2Cz7WYCBROVqE0R5eDvg=
    :lol::clap: :thumbup:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    4and20 wrote:
    Yeah...right here...

i remember seeing those
    huge ass zippos... i dont think they were zippo brand lighters tho
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • the age old argument.

Non-Smokers treat smokers like animals.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    chadwick wrote:
    4and20 wrote:
    Yeah...right here...

i remember seeing those
    huge ass zippos... i dont think they were zippo brand lighters tho

Yeah, there are a lot of Zippo wannabes...that also reminds me...I'm going for a much needed break...her, I'll leave you with some irony...I'd love to have one of these in my future 'zone out' room

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE2725JOZcIYBLBrlYh1Z30N6g_Vdq6kcQUHa-h4i4KewKlMI&t=1&h=176&w=211&usg=__hHtrHXlCuJt87fYFcX9Y9-sSClI=
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    haffajappa wrote:

Has it been brought up to your boss to try and talk to the coffee shop owner to let his patrons know? It's the first step of getting this problem resolved anyway...
    Jeanwah wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Has it been brought up to your boss to try and talk to the coffee shop owner to let his patrons know? It's the first step of getting this problem resolved anyway...
    Yep, and it's been brought up to the building manager as well.
    The people literally don't give a shit.
    Hence the problem.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Songburst wrote:
    ...You are not going to get cancer by smelling smoke at the bus stop every day. ..

Studies have shown that as little as second hand smoke from ONE cigarette every day can have detrimental effects on health - that cigarette smoke you would be inhaling whilst you are waiting for your bus to go to work, for example.
    Why should the government be able to tell people where they can smoke? If it's so bad why is it legal? Money. They get money from people buying cigarettes and then want to fine you for smoking in a place they don't want you to smoke in for more money, a place that doesn't even belong to them. .

Well... alcohol is legal. Laws say where you can drink alcohol or not. Can't drink in the street....
    ... but very few of these stories seem to include how you politely pointed out how it was bothering you. Did any of ya? And I mean politely! !

Helen - a good number of times I did ask very politely to put out a cigarette or move further away, mainly when I was with my daughter. Now, these are people that came into 'my' space and lit up (and not me going near a smoker who was already smoking). Most of the times I got a 'fuck off'. I know there are more considerate smokers (I used to be! :mrgreen: ) and I'm sure people here will pipe up and say they would be considerate but, unfortunately, that is not the norm.

The health issues of passive smoking have widely been documented. It really makes me cross when I see mothers or fathers of very young children/babies walking down the road smoking with the smoke going into their kids face/space. And that is outside - I would hate to think what it's like at home.
    What about loud music? I mean as an example of something that "won't" kill you but is pretty disrespectful.
    And another one of my pet peeves.

People who blast their music on the bus, super loud. And we all have to listen to it.
    It's really no different than people smoking around you.