Smokers' Rights

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i know bonfire smoke burns my eyes when standing in the direction the smoke is blowing.
    other than that i think im ok.

i am sorry your eyes burn and swell up from cigs.
    that stinks.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Nearly bonfire season here (November 5th is the big day) ... I will remember to stand away from the way the smoke is blowing.

Everybody enjoys a good bonfire yes/no? ;)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    chime wrote:
    Nearly bonfire season here (November 5th is the big day) ... I will remember to stand away from the way the smoke is blowing.

yes i think so
    and then some cry that it stinks (i gotta go home and shower, your fire smells)
    some bitch about the smoke getting in their eyes

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    chadwick wrote:
    chime wrote:

yes i think so
    and then some cry that it stinks (i gotta go home and shower, your fire smells)
    some bitch about the smoke getting in their eyes

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Those poor people ... bonfires smell gooooddd :mrgreen: :P ;)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I smoked for over 10 years....loved it....used to smoke 30 a day or so....in the house, in the car, in bed, in the shower! :? I haven't had once since I quit in 2007.

Smoke doesn't bother me....when I have drinks at my house I'll happily let my friends smoke at my kitchen table where we sit. The smell doesn't really bother me either. I don't like venues FULL of smokers though. That gets a bit stinky.

But I know how addictive it is. I know how bad it is for you. People spend money they can't afford on them. I see (and know) mothers who still smoke when they're pregnant. I see parents smoking in the car with their kids. I see friends spending $100+ on cigarettes a week while their kids have secondhand shit toys etc and "can't afford' to get their teeth fixed at the dentist.

Cigarettes kill people...and use up a lot of fucking hospital beds in the process. Once you quit, you see them for what they are. I personally think we should be doing everything possible to make it harder for people to smoke....to entice them to quit....and we should be doing everything we can to make it easier to quit like have free nicotine patches etc. It was more expensive for me to get patches than it was to smoke. That's bullshit.

In saying this, if I have 6 months to live, hand me a pack of Marlboro reds and a bong....I'm going out in a haze of smoke! :lol: Kidding....
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Songburst wrote:
    I'm just saying that as disgusting as it is, the whole second hand smoke paranoia is blown (haha) way way way out of proportion. If second-hand smoke doesn't give you cancer, the pesticides used on our vegtables, the radiation emitting from our cell phones or wireless routers, being in the abomination that is our sun or growing older than the ripe old age of 50 will get you. Life's too short to worrying about something as incidental as 2nd hand smoke.

Thank you for your opinion, but as people become smarter and more aware of the dangers of cigarette smoking, people with this attitude are quickly becoming the minority. And that is exactly why these laws are falling into place. Life is NOT too short to worry about the disgusting habits that other people impose on me. I avoid vegetables with pesticides, and scientists are constantly improving chemicals that are used to treat foods. Cig smoke will always be bad, and is NOT blown (yes, haha) way out of proportion in my opinion.
    No smoking laws are a joke and should not exist. Why should the government be able to tell people where they can smoke? If it's so bad why is it legal? Money. They get money from people buying cigarettes and then want to fine you for smoking in a place they don't want you to smoke that doesn't even belong to them. Half you people wouldn't be taking the bus if you didn't have a DUI, and that's cool though. It's outside in free air unless you want the government to tax our air now too. Oh and for you people who work in a restaurant or bar here's an idea if you you don't like the smoke quit your job and go to college. No one is forcing you to work there. Let's all keep being offended by everyone and everything. Everyone is so weak now. What has happened to this world where everyone does nothing but bitch and moan about everything.

I agree with Dunk on this one. And it has nothing to do with weakness as you so eloquently place blame, I would call it education mixed with a tad of respect for ones body and the others around you. You sound like one of those people that doenst give a shit about anyone but yourself.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I smoked for over 10 years....loved it....used to smoke 30 a day or so....in the house, in the car, in bed, in the shower! :? I haven't had once since I quit in 2007.

Smoke doesn't bother me....when I have drinks at my house I'll happily let my friends smoke at my kitchen table where we sit. The smell doesn't really bother me either. I don't like venues FULL of smokers though. That gets a bit stinky.

But I know how addictive it is. I know how bad it is for you. People spend money they can't afford on them. I see (and know) mothers who still smoke when they're pregnant. I see parents smoking in the car with their kids. I see friends spending $100+ on cigarettes a week while their kids have secondhand shit toys etc and "can't afford' to get their teeth fixed at the dentist.

Cigarettes kill people...and use up a lot of fucking hospital beds in the process. Once you quit, you see them for what they are. I personally think we should be doing everything possible to make it harder for people to smoke....to entice them to quit....and we should be doing everything we can to make it easier to quit like have free nicotine patches etc. It was more expensive for me to get patches than it was to smoke. That's bullshit.

In saying this, if I have 6 months to live, hand me a pack of Marlboro reds and a bong....I'm going out in a haze of smoke! :lol: Kidding....

Ciggy Star
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStSf2G0dw6xdS2Ia50YfCh9ewNniPKDOrgWZSnlH7yAxD45O8&t=1&usg=__xzSUjWIDZkBqIoZ912RgYFF2ync=
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Thank you for your opinion, but as people become smarter and more aware of the dangers of cigarette smoking, people with this attitude are quickly becoming the minority. And that is exactly why these laws are falling into place. Life is NOT too short to worry about the disgusting habits that other people impose on me. I avoid vegetables with pesticides, and scientists are constantly improving chemicals that are used to treat foods. Cig smoke will always be bad, and is NOT blown (yes, haha) way out of proportion in my opinion.
    Nobody really imposes anything on you. If you are really so concerned about 2nd hand smoke, you could avoid places that allow smoking, no? At the end of the day it's just another vice. We should outlaw drinking, gambling, fast food, casual sex, video gaming, etc. etc. while we're at it. Only then will we all be ok.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Songburst wrote:
    Nobody really imposes anything on you. If you are really so concerned about 2nd hand smoke, you could avoid places that allow smoking, no? At the end of the day it's just another vice. We should outlaw drinking, gambling, fast food, casual sex, video gaming, etc. etc. while we're at it. Only then will we all be ok.
    You're right,
    tomorrow i'm going to quit my job and write a letter to the transit authority to provide me with a personal bus service.
    :]
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    eMMI wrote:
    Do you non smokers have the same problem with a smoker who lights up a joint within your
    personal breathing space?

First of all, that's super duper rare compared to cigarettes and I'm not sure if that's ever happened to me. Actually, now that I think of it, it has at a Pearl Jam concert. And yes, I have a problem with it. Not the same one necessarily, but it's still smoke that I don't necessarily want to inhale. Of course, not such a risk to my health as cig smoke.
    Yeah, haha, just because I'm from Vancouver guys, doesn't mean people light up joints anywhere they please. :lol:
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    haffajappa wrote:
    Songburst wrote:
    You're right,
    tomorrow i'm going to quit my job and write a letter to the transit authority to provide me with a personal bus service.
    :]
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

dunkman wrote:

here's my idea... stop smoking for 14 days and put the money you would have spent into a jar... 14 days later use aforementioned money to buy a big fucking warm jacket... take smoking back up.

:thumbup:
    :P :thumbup:
    i like your style, as always, dunk
    Songburst wrote:

nobody has ever got cancerised by sitting next to a drinker, a gambler, a fat burger eater, two people humping or someone playing Call Of Duty.... thats the big big issue.

passive smoking actually harms people... you ignorant bunch of murdering smokers :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    dunkman wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

nobody has ever got cancerised by sitting next to a drinker, a gambler, a fat burger eater, two people humping or someone playing Call Of Duty.... thats the big big issue.

passive smoking actually harms people... you ignorant bunch of murdering smokers :thumbup:

Couldn't have said it better. :thumbup: I would've left out the "murdering smokers" bit, but that's just my style. :P
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    eMMI wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

Couldn't have said it better. :thumbup: I would've left out the "murdering smokers" bit, but that's just my style. :P

i actually started with that line and worked my way back.

;)
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Wow. When did the whole world turn into a bunch of pussies?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Danimal wrote:

So all the cool kids are inhaling as much cigarette smoke as possible? :think:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Songburst wrote:

I disagree, If you saw back a few pages I explained how I was relaxing at the beach (yes, I know its open aired and free for everyone to do what they want), but these two ladies sat within 10-15 feet of us and were puffin away CONSTANTLY. I had to move my entire layout beacue the whole reason I was there was emjoy the fresh smells of the ocean, and all I got was an array of toxic chemicals. In addition, I saw them dispose of their buts in the sand. I cant tell you how many times I've dug my toes into the sand only to come up with a disgusting cigarette but in my toes. Horrible! So I would consider THAT imposing on me.

Also, my favorite local music venue allows smoking, and I still go there expecting to smell like shit. But since someone that runs the place has become concerned, they have installed fans and vents and stuff to help with the problem. I would go much more often if it didnt stink so terrible in there. And my g/f wont go at all to this place. So basically, Its just too bad that the smokers in this establishment cant go outside for a second to smoke -- that way my g/f could enjoy the place too. But, NO, as it stands now, smokers enjoy it and my g/f does not. That imposes on me as well.

Lousy analogy with the drinking, video games, fast food, etc...
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Danimal wrote:
    Yeah cos it's sooooo tough to smoke.

Lousy analogy with the drinking, video games, fast food, etc...
    UNLESS people stand at the doorway of my store shoving hamburgers down my patron's throats and start humping them!

Maybe that's what he meant?
    ...And wait, what's so unhealthy about casual sex, anyways?
  • Danimal wrote:

I'm not crystal clear on who you are referring to as a 'bunch of pussies', but I would assume the whole world beacme 'pussies' once they were educated (if I'm assuming your question correctly)...

..Unless you refer to 'the pussies' as being the smokers who cry that they should have the right to poison anyone around them?

Personally, I would consider someone a 'pussy' who disregards people around them.

Not really sure what you mean or how that comment has any intelligent contribution to the matter at hand.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    No smoking laws are a joke and should not exist. Why should the government be able to tell people where they can smoke? If it's so bad why is it legal? Money. They get money from people buying cigarettes and then want to fine you for smoking in a place they don't want you to smoke that doesn't even belong to them. Half you people wouldn't be taking the bus if you didn't have a DUI, and that's cool though. It's outside in free air unless you want the government to tax our air now too. Oh and for you people who work in a restaurant or bar here's an idea if you you don't like the smoke quit your job and go to college. No one is forcing you to work there. Let's all keep being offended by everyone and everything. Everyone is so weak now. What has happened to this world where everyone does nothing but bitch and moan about everything.

Sounds like someone needs a smoke really really bad!

I smoke only when I drink now which is about twice a month.
  • chadwick wrote:
    that is the point as far as im concerned.
    why is tobacco legal and marijuana isn't?
    it's a shit law.
    it make zero sense.

believe it, tobacco is terrible.
    weed had chemicals in it too but it has zero nicotine, right?
    nicotine being one of the most poisonous chemicals on earth.
    what's it take to kill someone a 1/4 gram of pure nicotine...over with???
    tobacco plant will fuck you up.

i smoked on/off for 23 yrs or something..
    love a nice cigar.

i just wanna smoke my bud and be good to go like cigarettes
    and i dont and wont breathe my weed smoke on anyone
    i eat the roach so im not throwing the remainder on the ground :mrgreen:

I agree.
  • corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
    edited October 2010
    Songburst wrote:
    I'm just saying that as disgusting as it is, the whole second hand smoke paranoia is blown (haha) way way way out of proportion. If second-hand smoke doesn't give you cancer, the pesticides used on our vegtables, the radiation emitting from our cell phones or wireless routers, being in the abomination that is our sun or growing older than the ripe old age of 50 will get you. Life's too short to worrying about something as incidental as 2nd hand smoke.

I agree with Dunk on this one. And it has nothing to do with weakness as you so eloquently place blame, I would call it education mixed with a tad of respect for ones body and the others around you. You sound like one of those people that doenst give a shit about anyone but yourself.

Everyone knows that cigarette smoke is bad. There are millions of things dangerous but still legal. I care about people, I could reverse that statement on you. Why don't you care about smokers rights? And what gives you the right to tell business owners what to do on what they own? If you or anyone doesn't like what they do don't go there. Fast food is legal isn't it? Should the government outlaw fast food too because it's unhealthy. I find it hard to look at fat people. Maybe soon we can all just ask the government what to do with ourselves 24 hours a day. Even ask for permission to wipe our ass and be told what kind of toilet paper to use.
    Post edited by corduroykelly on
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

:thumbup: :clap:

i don't even smoke.

i haven't been to a bar since they made it illegal, drinking and smoking should go hand in hand, one fucks you up , one keeps you up. It's a beautiful thing.
  • Everyone knows that cigarette smoke is bad. There are millions of things dangerous but still legal. I care about people, I could reverse that statement on you. Why don't you care about smokers rights? And what gives you the right to tell business owners what to do on what they own? If you or anyone doesn't like what they do don't go there. Fast food is legal isn't it? Should the government outlaw fast food too because it's unhealthy. I find it hard to look at fat people. Maybe soon we can all just ask the government what to do with ourselves 24 hours a day. Even ask for permission to wipe our ass and be told what kind of toilet paper to use.

Well, the difference is that a person who eats fast food eats that food and they are the ones that suffer from its contents. When that preson consumes that food in a crowded restaurant of 30 people, ONE out of 30 people are affected.

When a smoker lights one up in a crowded room of 30 people, ALL 30 people are affected by it.

And actually, I do care about smokers rights. If it is legal, they should be able to do it. However, just like I'm not allowed to drink a beer out in a public park in my town, smokers should have to follow rules about not smoking in certain establishments.

And I don't know what kind of point you are making, just trying to be facetious or something..but you really have a hard time looking at FAT PEOPLE?! you really going to compare the effects of 2nd hand smoke to looking at a fat person?
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Everyone knows that cigarette smoke is bad. There are millions of things dangerous but still legal. I care about people, I could reverse that statement on you. Why don't you care about smokers rights? And what gives you the right to tell business owners what to do on what they own? If you or anyone doesn't like what they do don't go there. Fast food is legal isn't it? Should the government outlaw fast food too because it's unhealthy. I find it hard to look at fat people. Maybe soon we can all just ask the government what to do with ourselves 24 hours a day. Even ask for permission to wipe our ass and be told what kind of toilet paper to use.

Well, the difference is that a person who eats fast food eats that food and they are the ones that suffer from its contents. When that preson consumes that food in a crowded restaurant of 30 people, ONE out of 30 people are affected.

When a smoker lights one up in a crowded room of 30 people, ALL 30 people are affected by it.

And actually, I do care about smokers rights. If it is legal, they should be able to do it. However, just like I'm not allowed to drink a beer out in a public park in my town, smokers should have to follow rules about not smoking in certain establishments.

And I don't know what kind of point you are making, just trying to be facetious or something..but you really have a hard time looking at FAT PEOPLE?! you really going to compare the effects of 2nd hand smoke to looking at a fat person?
    Am I right in understanding that in the US you can still smoke in restaurants / bars etc?
  • nuffingman wrote:

Am I right in understanding that in the US you can still smoke in restaurants / bars etc?

In my area, there are certain criteria that an establishment must meet to allow smoking. I'm not sure what it is, but I think if you have a certain percentage of sales dedicated to food, then smoking is not allowed. I know some bars dont allow smoking and some do. But i'm pretty sure it is different county to county, and state to state.
  • Wow, there's a lot of judging and ignorance in this thread.

Yes, smoking is initially a choice but unfortunately, when I was 9 and started smoking, I can't say I was fully educated on the dangers of them and it was only starting to become an issue. Some people said it was bad, some said it was good, I thought I'd try for myself.

I see a lot of people here complaining and giving examples of when a smoker polluted their air... but very few of these stories seem to include how you politely pointed out how it was bothering you. Did any of ya? And I mean politely!

There were times when I inadvertently smoked near to somebody who didn't like it. Sometimes people asked me politely to stop or to move... which I did immediately. Sometimes people started coughing dramatically or made a smart comment about it... I continued smoking in these cases and enjoyed it even more. Smokers are still human ya know... be nice to them... sometimes they're simply not aware of what the situation is.

And I'm off them over a year now!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you