Smokers' Rights

Comments

• DewieCox wrote:
    eMMI wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Smokers have the right to smoke indoors regardless of non smokers. It should be up to the owner of the establishment, regardless of what the law says.

Dunno who's more whiny...A smoker without a cig or a nonsmoker that has a little smoke come in their direction.

I think it's the dying non-smokers are actually whinging about, you know. :?

There's plenty of other shit in the air killin us, that a little smoke is not really worth bitchin about.

Actually yeah it is worth bitching about. Said other shit in the air didn't require me to immediately take a shower and clean my jacket every time I came home from a bar before it was outlawed here in Philly. Smoking is absolutely disgusting and repulsive and my occasional night's out are so much more enjoyable now that bars are smoke free. And I won't even get started on cancer.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Songburst wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Smokers have the right to smoke indoors regardless of non smokers. It should be up to the owner of the establishment, regardless of what the law says.

Dunno who's more whiny...A smoker without a cig or a nonsmoker that has a little smoke come in their direction.
    So if i am a heroin user i should have the right to go around and stab anyone I want with my needles?
    Propaganda kicks ass.

I hope that you don't ever drive a vehicle around town intentionally subjecting all the walkers and bike-riders to your harmful exhaust gases.
    Sorry I fail to see where propaganda comes in here, are you suggesting that the surgeon general warning is a lie to back some sort of agenda? Or that me making a post about how I don't like tobacco smoke in my face is somehow lying to the masses...

And I don't own a car.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    i'm with ya 100% jappa haffa

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=138412&hilit=+smokers
    www.myspace.com
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    a few years ago i was at a TOOL gig in A NON SMOKING venue. a guy in front of me was startung to light up. i leant over and gave him the choice of being vomitted on or not being vomitted on cause cigarette smoke makes me nauseous, not to mention gives me a fucking headache. lets just say he chose wisely. did i mention this was a NON SMOKINg venue??

but just for balance, i was at the bus stop, a covered bus stop, the other week and this girl wanting to have a smoke asked me if i was a smoker BEFORE she lit up. i said no i didnt smoke so she moved away from me to smoke. :thumbup:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • All you non-smokers send your letters to your governments and get them to stop taxing and for that matter stop making the things.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    All you non-smokers send your letters to your governments and get them to stop taxing and for that matter stop making the things.
    Oooh! Another anti-smoking thread. Smoking is disgusting but many do it but if it doesn't effect those around them then leave them alone. There's a lot of self righteous posturing about smoking. In the UK the tax on cigarettes and cigars is astronomical but you still hear politicians discussing health warnings blah, blah, blah. Total bullshit! The government don't want people to stop as it brings in too much revenue.

And before the next argument about health costs the UK spends more on obesity related illnesses than on smoking related. It also spends more on alcohol related illnesses but where are the health warnings on whisky bottles and MacDonalds crap burgers.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    All you non-smokers send your letters to your governments and get them to stop taxing and for that matter stop making the things.

That's not the point really. And while it would be quite ideal that cigs wouldn't exist at all, that's still a long way away. Meanwhile it's just common courtesy for smokers to pay a little attention to people around them and try not to expose them to the smoke.

What terrifies me most are mums who don't seem to care at all that their kids have to hang out in cigarrette smoke (the mother's own too!). That's disgusting.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440
    smokers are the most ignorant and selfish people on the planet in general. they want to do it wherever they want without regard for anyone else's comfort and they want to throw their trash anywhere and everywhere. 99.9% fo smokers will throw their butts anywhere and everywhere. i have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who is dumb enough to start smoking in this era with all the information about how bad it is. our parents didn't have that information. today if you start smoking you are nothing but a dumbass - sorry people just my thoughts on the subject.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    mickeyrat wrote:
    As a smoker, I can say that I can roll with the punches in regards to all these new laws and what not. However, I think it's wrong headed to force us to smoke outside in inclement weather. There should be allowances for indoor areas that allow smoking or barring that, some other type of accomadations outdoors. if part of the reason for these laws is to reduce healthcare costs, how much more does it cost when smokers become ill from being forced into the cold. Its said the addiction to nicotine is far worse to get off of than heroin. cant speak to the truth of that as I've not tried to quit. Think I'm doing well enough right now not drinking or drugging

here's my idea... stop smoking for 14 days and put the money you would have spent into a jar... 14 days later use aforementioned money to buy a big fucking warm jacket... take smoking back up.

:thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    DewieCox wrote:
    eMMI wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I think it's the dying non-smokers are actually whinging about, you know. :?

There's plenty of other shit in the air killin us, that a little smoke is not really worth bitchin about.

passive smoking kills many many thousands per year...

If you smoked next to me and endanger my health then surely i have every right to punch you in the throat to endanger your health?

its the same thing... thats why i tend not to punch people in the throat...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    If you smoked next to me and endanger my health then surely i have every right to punch you in the throat to endanger your health?
    Interesting, how many times do people smoke next to you and where? Over here we can't smoke in pubs, restaurants or any public building. You can't smoke in areas that are enclosed on 3 sides. Some pubs don't even let you smoke in their gardens. I can't remember when I last was bothered by someone smoking.
    nuffingman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    Interesting, how many times do people smoke next to you and where? Over here we can't smoke in pubs, restaurants or any public building. You can't smoke in areas that are enclosed on 3 sides. Some pubs don't even let you smoke in their gardens. I can't remember when I last was bothered by someone smoking.

exactly... we are a civilised country and as a result i also can't remember the last time I bothered someone by punching them in the throat
    dunkman wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

exactly... we are a civilised country and as a result i also can't remember the last time I bothered someone by punching them in the throat
    :lol::lol:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I enjoy people. Thats why I go out for drinks to our favorite bars. Listen to music, talk, laugh, enjoy human contact, have fun.
    I'm a nonsmoker but if there is smoke so be it,
    it doesn't stop me from frequenting the establishment or engaging with people because they are smoking.
    Look what I would be missing being a fuss button about it.
    So I smell like smoke so what...this person, this smoker, made me think, laugh, touched my heart, learn something new, made me happy.
    The real basic human right is to be accepted and loved for who we are.
    I feel for those who limit their acceptance of others, restrict their love for another person because they do not look or act to their criteria. It is loss for them, greater than they know.
    I think we should get over all the judging of others and lighten up and love.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    pandora wrote:
    I enjoy people. Thats why I go out for drinks to our favorite bars. Listen to music, talk, laugh, enjoy human contact, have fun.
    I'm a nonsmoker but if there is smoke so be it,
    it doesn't stop me from frequenting the establishment or engaging with people because they are smoking.
    Look what I would be missing being a fuss button about it.
    So I smell like smoke so what...this person, this smoker, made me think, laugh, touched my heart, learn something new, made me happy.
    The real basic human right is to be accepted and loved for who we are.
    I feel for those who limit their acceptance of others, restrict their love for another person because they do not look or act to their criteria. It is loss for them, greater than they know.
    I think we should get over all the judging of others and lighten up and love.

a lot of people, pandora, are a pain in the nuts.
    some folks have to bitch about something.
    i find people to be full of shit.

cigs are very addictive.
    it just makes sense, make weed legal.
    cigs are legal do dont even do anything for ya.
    stupid government.

i hate D.C.
    anyone living in the D.C. area should be beat with cigarettes and pot
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    GO ARNOLD!! :D

Arnold_S.jpg

first step Decriminalize!
    pandora wrote:
    So I smell like smoke so what...this person, this smoker, made me think, laugh, touched my heart, learn something new, made me happy, possibly gave me cancer

hi.

i fixed your quote

peas and glove

dunk :)
    chadwick wrote:

cigs are very addictive.

good point... and we all know that right? we are all told that from the age of 8... millions of pounds worth of advertising to tell us they are addictive... friends and family dying of cancer... and yet people still smoke.

then they come onto forums like this and say shit like "well its easy for you to say "just quit" cos you don't know how hard it is... you dont know how addictive it is" ... well actually i do... thats because i'm not thicker than a dinosaurs mattress... i KNOW how addictive and how bad it is for your health so thats why i dont fucking smoke.

if people are that stupid then i say let them smoke and reduce the surplus population... just dont do it next to me or i'll punch you in the cancer-laden throat.
    dunkman wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

cigs are very addictive.

good point... and we all know that right? we are all told that from the age of 8... millions of pounds worth of advertising to tell us they are addictive... friends and family dying of cancer... and yet people still smoke.

then they come onto forums like this and say shit like "well its easy for you to say "just quit" cos you don't know how hard it is... you dont know how addictive it is" ... well actually i do... thats because i'm not thicker than a dinosaurs mattress... i KNOW how addictive and how bad it is for your health so thats why i dont fucking smoke.

if people are that stupid then i say let them smoke and reduce the surplus population... just dont do it next to me or i'll punch you in the cancer-laden throat.
    it is so addictive it can drive you insane
    true stuff

arnold is an idiot for puffing cigars
    he does a shit job as governor of CA and his movie blow

i thought Arnold stood for health and fitness being he was mr universe 4,000 times.
    fuck u Arnold

pandora, find a new dude
    arnold stinks

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    i have never shot a load of brown or blonde heroin up my arm.
    from what i understand cigarettes are more addictive than heroin.
    doctors have told me so and i've heard it all over for a longtime now.

tobacco is a shitty thing.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    dunkman wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    So I smell like smoke so what...this person, this smoker, made me think, laugh, touched my heart, learn something new, made me happy, possibly gave me cancer

hi.

i fixed your quote

peas and glove

dunk :)
    the cancer thing is over the top.... paranoia... don't you know that something is gonna getcha in the end anyways?

Not enjoying other people because they smoke may make you the sorriest when you look back over your life with a clear eye
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Hi,

I am wothless scum!
    I am also the designated driver that drives many drunk asses home at 2AM, so I can make sure everybody gets home safe. I make sure that you don't forget to pick up your PJ poster at the end of the concert, I also make sure your drunk ass doesn't get into trouble with the po-po.
    I carry a pocket ashtray, and take my butts to a proper trash receptacle, I hate nothing more than seeing discarded butts on the side of the highway, beach or park. Addicted? No, I have had the same pack of smokes for the last 5 weeks. I would smoke a J instead of cigarettes if it was legal, but it's not.
    I don't expect a shelter to be built for my smoking pleasure, I deal with the weather....it rains here 9-10 months of the year, if you can't deal with the rain, move to freaking SoCal.

Yours Truly,
    Respectful Scum

BTW, you all know Ed is a smoker too right? At least him and I are sharing a boat....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Yeah, I never understood why we feel entitled to put down someone else just because they're not "like me". So what if people want to smoke cigarettes; it's their life, they can do what they want with it. Life itself is too great and vast to focus on the small details anyways. Enjoy life and everyone in our lives, while we're alive.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Yeah, I never understood why we feel entitled to put down someone else just because they're not "like me". So what if people want to smoke cigarettes; it's their life, they can do what they want with it. Life itself is too great and vast to focus on the small details anyways. Enjoy life and everyone in our lives, while we're alive.
    True! And I would rather get in a car with 4and20 than someone that has had a few beers. We don't seem to condemn drinkers as much though. Getting slaughtered seems to be something to brag about and laugh at.
    pandora wrote:
    the cancer thing is over the top.... paranoia... don't you know that something is gonna getcha in the end anyways?

Of course something's gonna get us all in the end. But that's no excuse for exposing others to second hand smoke.

3. Does secondhand smoke contain harmful chemicals?

Yes. Of the more than 4,000 chemicals that have been identified in secondhand tobacco smoke, at least 250 are known to be harmful, and 50 of these are known to cause cancer. These chemicals include:

* arsenic (a heavy metal toxin)
    * benzene (a chemical found in gasoline)
    * beryllium (a toxic metal)
    * cadmium (a metal used in batteries)
    * chromium (a metallic element)
    * ethylene oxide (a chemical used to sterilize medical devices)
    * nickel (a metallic element)
    * polonium–210 (a chemical element that gives off radiation)
    * vinyl chloride (a toxic substance used in plastics manufacture)

Many factors affect which chemicals are found in secondhand smoke, including the type of tobacco, the chemicals added to the tobacco, the way the product is smoked, and the paper in which the tobacco is wrapped.

4. Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?

Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP), the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen (cancer-causing agent).

Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults. Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke. The Surgeon General estimates that living with a smoker increases a nonsmoker’s chances of developing lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent.

5. What are the other health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke?

Secondhand smoke causes disease and premature death in nonsmoking adults and children. Exposure to secondhand smoke irritates the airways and has immediate harmful effects on a person’s heart and blood vessels. It may increase the risk of heart disease by an estimated 25 to 30 percent. In the United States, secondhand smoke is thought to cause about 46,000 heart disease deaths each year. There may also be a link between exposure to secondhand smoke and the risk of stroke and hardening of the arteries; however, additional research is needed to confirm this link.

Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), ear infections, colds, pneumonia, bronchitis, and more severe asthma. Being exposed to secondhand smoke slows the growth of children’s lungs and can cause them to cough, wheeze, and feel breathless.

6. What is a safe level of secondhand smoke?

There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Studies have shown that even low levels of secondhand smoke exposure can be harmful. The only way to fully protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke exposure is to completely eliminate smoking in indoor spaces. Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot completely eliminate secondhand smoke exposure.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... obacco/ETS
    pandora wrote:
    Not enjoying other people because they smoke may make you the sorriest when you look back over your life with a clear eye

I have a lot of friends who smoke. My parents smoke, even my grandmother smokes. Do I hate them for that or not spend time with them because of that? Of course not! They've never given me a reason to do so. They always smoke outside, they make sure (to the best of their ability) that their smoke doesn't blow into my face.. All that and it's really not that big of a deal. They've chosen to smoke, fine. I'm not a fan, but I don't dislike them for it.

EDIT: Sorry for the long post and all of this is not solely directed at pandora. :)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    nuffingman wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    True! And I would rather get in a car with 4and20 than someone that has had a few beers. We don't seem to condemn drinkers as much though. Getting slaughtered seems to be something to brag about and laugh at.

Drinking excessively (and drunk driving) is of course a big problem too. But in a way drinking and smoking aren't comparable, because someone drinking near me (when we talk about them just consuming alcoholic beverages, not driving drunk or other) isn't risking my health whereas someone smoking near me, and me having to inhale the smoke, is.
    eMMI wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Of course something's gonna get us all in the end. But that's no excuse for exposing others to second hand smoke.

3. Does secondhand smoke contain harmful chemicals?

Yes. Of the more than 4,000 chemicals that have been identified in secondhand tobacco smoke, at least 250 are known to be harmful, and 50 of these are known to cause cancer. These chemicals include:

* arsenic (a heavy metal toxin)
    * benzene (a chemical found in gasoline)
    * beryllium (a toxic metal)
    * cadmium (a metal used in batteries)
    * chromium (a metallic element)
    * ethylene oxide (a chemical used to sterilize medical devices)
    * nickel (a metallic element)
    * polonium–210 (a chemical element that gives off radiation)
    * vinyl chloride (a toxic substance used in plastics manufacture)

Many factors affect which chemicals are found in secondhand smoke, including the type of tobacco, the chemicals added to the tobacco, the way the product is smoked, and the paper in which the tobacco is wrapped.

4. Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?

Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP), the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen (cancer-causing agent).

Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults. Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke. The Surgeon General estimates that living with a smoker increases a nonsmoker’s chances of developing lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent.

5. What are the other health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke?

Secondhand smoke causes disease and premature death in nonsmoking adults and children. Exposure to secondhand smoke irritates the airways and has immediate harmful effects on a person’s heart and blood vessels. It may increase the risk of heart disease by an estimated 25 to 30 percent. In the United States, secondhand smoke is thought to cause about 46,000 heart disease deaths each year. There may also be a link between exposure to secondhand smoke and the risk of stroke and hardening of the arteries; however, additional research is needed to confirm this link.

Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), ear infections, colds, pneumonia, bronchitis, and more severe asthma. Being exposed to secondhand smoke slows the growth of children’s lungs and can cause them to cough, wheeze, and feel breathless.

6. What is a safe level of secondhand smoke?

There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Studies have shown that even low levels of secondhand smoke exposure can be harmful. The only way to fully protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke exposure is to completely eliminate smoking in indoor spaces. Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot completely eliminate secondhand smoke exposure.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... obacco/ETS
    pandora wrote:

I have a lot of friends who smoke. My parents smoke, even my grandmother smokes. Do I hate them for that or not spend time with them because of that? Of course not! They've never given me a reason to do so. They always smoke outside, they make sure (to the best of their ability) that their smoke doesn't blow into my face.. All that and it's really not that big of a deal. They've chosen to smoke, fine. I'm not a fan, but I don't dislike them for it.

EDIT: Sorry for the long post and all of this is not solely directed at pandora. :)
    'dollar 2 a donut' its not the second hand smoke that will get me,
    so therefore I am enjoying my life.
    I am glad you do not berate your family for being smokers, that is good of you.
    That you love and accept them and their choices.
    That is what we should do for all people not just our loved ones.
    Its a matter of choice whether you smoke or inhale second hand smoke...
    I personally feel second hand smoke is hysteria unless you are working or living in it which is pretty much there in the statistics.
  • eMMI wrote:

That's not the point really. And while it would be quite ideal that cigs wouldn't exist at all, that's still a long way away. Meanwhile it's just common courtesy for smokers to pay a little attention to people around them and try not to expose them to the smoke.

What terrifies me most are mums who don't seem to care at all that their kids have to hang out in cigarrette smoke (the mother's own too!). That's disgusting.

Not to get into a pissing match but those same said people waiting for the bus, watching the congested traffic crawl by them seem to have no problem sucking in the yellow haze from the exhaust pipes. Just sayin'.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

Not to get into a pissing match but those same said people waiting for the bus, watching the congested traffic crawl by them seem to have no problem sucking in the yellow haze from the exhaust pipes. Just sayin'.

and those same chemicals are on the ground (along with pesticides) that everybody is walking on, which in turn is tracked into our homes so we all are breathing it, while we are in our home. Unless you take your shoes off before you come into the house, or vacuum every day.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    eMMI wrote:

At least the yellow haze is for everyone. And not really something you can choose to not breathe, as it is everywhere.

I've chosen to not smoke, I'd appreciate it if I didn't have to inhale someone else's decision. Just like if someone's decided to not drink or eat meat, I'm not gonna go around shoving shots or meatballs down their throats just because I like a drink every now and then and enjoy a good steak.