Smokers' Rights

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
...should they trump the rights of non-smokers?
I personally cant stand it at bustops when people next to me in line light up... If you wana smoke, sacrifice your place in line and do it away from the rest of us. Transit loops are "smoke-free" areas but it doesn't stop the tens of people who create a plume of tobacco that you have to stand in.

Technically you aren't allowed to smoke within 3 meters of a doorway of a public place, or open window. THe coffee shop next door keeps putting their tables in front of our store even though the building made them a concrete patio, even though its against building policy the manager refuses to deal with it. I mean, the owners are nice people so we don't wanna ruffle their feathers but there's been tiems where they've even put tables in front of our DOOR!

And we wouldn't even mind so much (well apart from baracading our door in) but there seems to be at least 3 or 4 groups of smokers that sit outside and drink coffee and puff on their cancer sticks literally all day. I have to sit here as the smoke comes into my store (YES into the store literally) and smell that shit all day. AND my customers are complaining constantly that they have to walk through a wall of smoke to come in here - one of the reasons the province made a "buffer zone" rule!

Look I'm not a prude but I choose not to smoke for obvious reasons, and it defeats the purpose when I have to sit and work in that stink! No offense to smokers, but when the situation arises, no I don't think you should be able to smoke in my face.
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Smokers should have no rights whatsoever if said rights infringe on the health, safetycomfort of others.

Many (not all) smokers do not seem to have a conscience when it comes to exposing others to their second-hand smoke. How could someone do that?

At my office building, the smokers throw their cigarette butts on the ground after they smoke, but at least some of the enlightened ones put their cigarettes out before they litter the ground with their butts.

What irks me the most are the smokers who throw lit cigarettes onto the road while they drive. It is one thing to throw butts out of their cars, but don't they realize they could start fire when they throw lit ones?

A few times during fire season in Los Angeles, I've pulled-up next to the offending drivers, and given them an earful about their idiotic actions.

Do they not get it, or do they just not care?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Cigarettes and marijuana should switch spots.
    Weed legal.
    Cigarettes illegal.

I have recently quit cigarettes for good I hope.

The tobacco industry is evil.
    That's all I can come up with.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Smokers should have no rights whatsoever if said rights infringe on the health, safetycomfort of others.

Many (not all) smokers do not seem to have a conscience when it comes to exposing others to their second-hand smoke. How could someone do that?

At my office building, the smokers throw their cigarette butts on the ground after they smoke, but at least some of the enlightened ones put their cigarettes out before they litter the ground with their butts.

What irks me the most are the smokers who throw lit cigarettes onto the road while they drive. It is one thing to throw butts out of their cars, but don't they realize they could start fire when they throw lit ones?

A few times during fire season in Los Angeles, I've pulled-up next to the offending drivers, and given them an earful about their idiotic actions.

Do they not get it, or do they just not care?
    UGH tell me about it! There were a few fires up here started from ignorant people like that!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,025
    As a smoker, I can say that I can roll with the punches in regards to all these new laws and what not. However, I think it's wrong headed to force us to smoke outside in inclement weather. There should be allowances for indoor areas that allow smoking or barring that, some other type of accomadations outdoors. if part of the reason for these laws is to reduce healthcare costs, how much more does it cost when smokers become ill from being forced into the cold. Its said the addiction to nicotine is far worse to get off of than heroin. cant speak to the truth of that as I've not tried to quit. Think I'm doing well enough right now not drinking or drugging.

Personally , I make a concerted effort to be mindful of non-smokers. And of littering. I put my butts out, make sure they ARE out and dispose of in a proper receptacle. Be it a smokers outpost or in the trash can. AGAIN making sure its no longer burning.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    As a smoker, I can say that I can roll with the punches in regards to all these new laws and what not. However, I think it's wrong headed to force us to smoke outside in inclement weather. There should be allowances for indoor areas that allow smoking or barring that, some other type of accomadations outdoors. if part of the reason for these laws is to reduce healthcare costs, how much more does it cost when smokers become ill from being forced into the cold. Its said the addiction to nicotine is far worse to get off of than heroin. cant speak to the truth of that as I've not tried to quit. Think I'm doing well enough right now not drinking or drugging.

Personally , I make a concerted effort to be mindful of non-smokers. And of littering. I put my butts out, make sure they ARE out and dispose of in a proper receptacle. Be it a smokers outpost or in the trash can. AGAIN making sure its no longer burning.

smoke 'em while you got 'em kid
    once im in office
    cigs are outlawed
    im shutting 'em down

green is the new legal smoke

:mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    mickeyrat wrote:

Smoking is a choice, so I don't think there there should ever be accomodations made for smokers if it means compromising the health of others. If someone smokes by choice, it seems fair that they get forced into the cold and risk illness, as opposed to someone else getting sick from smoke.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Smoking is a choice, so I don't think there there should ever be accomodations made for smokers if it means compromising the health of others. If someone smokes by choice, it seems fair that they get forced into the cold and risk illness, as opposed to someone else getting sick from smoke.
    have you ever smoked? At a certain point, its no longer a choice. if it were as simple as waking up and saying "I'm quitting today" then why are there so many aids to quiting smoking? As a child I didnt have a choice. Grew up in a two smoker home. I became a smoker by "choice" at 13. My brother was able to not start to begin with.

Im my considered opinion alcohol causes more devastation and harm than smoking does.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

have you ever smoked? At a certain point, its no longer a choice. if it were as simple as waking up and saying "I'm quitting today" then why are there so many aids to quiting smoking? As a child I didnt have a choice. Grew up in a two smoker home. I became a smoker by "choice" at 13. My brother was able to not start to begin with.

Im my considered opinion alcohol causes more devastation and harm than smoking does.

I understand that it is difficult to quit, but since it is a choice for people to start, I don't think non-smokers should have to accomodate smokers if it means jeopardizing their own health.

I agree that alcohol causes more harm, hence, there are more laws to protect others from alcohol abusers.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I understand that it is difficult to quit, but since it is a choice for people to start, I don't think non-smokers should have to accomodate smokers if it means jeopardizing their own health.

I agree that alcohol causes more harm, hence, there are more laws to protect others from alcohol abusers.
    And I'm not suggesting that nonsmokers jepordize their health. What I AM suggesting is seperate areas the have a seperate ventalation system or outdoor heated tent system. Have seen those in several areas. In Ohio, a smoking area cannot have 4 walls and a roof. Thats the way the law was written.
    All I'm asking for is protection from the elements in an area designated for smoking. Is that so unreasonable?

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    mickeyrat wrote:
    And I'm not suggesting that nonsmokers jepordize their health. What I AM suggesting is seperate areas the have a seperate ventalation system or outdoor heated tent system. Have seen those in several areas. In Ohio, a smoking area cannot have 4 walls and a roof. Thats the way the law was written.
    All I'm asking for is protection from the elements in an area designated for smoking. Is that so unreasonable?

Separate areas? Separate ventilation system? Outdoor heated tent system? How about you just fucking quit....

There's no way I want my money to go towards making smokers more comfortable. Make it as uncomfortable for them as we can I say.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • We quit 4 years ago. Saved more than $8,700.00. Used the $ to see PJ in Belfast and Berlin and buy some good wine.

We were able to quit because we had the flu. Couldn't stand smoking for 3 or 4 days and decided to keep not smoking for a day at a time. Unbelievably it worked. Still am amazed that we both quit together and have stayed tobacco free.

Good luck to those who are trying to quit.
    Hold On
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Separate areas? Separate ventilation system? Outdoor heated tent system? How about you just fucking quit....

There's no way I want my money to go towards making smokers more comfortable. Make it as uncomfortable for them as we can I say.
    but it's not taxpayer money that in play here. If a bar restaurant or other business chose to build such an area, how is that YOUR money. I swear , you fucking exsmokers kill me.

Check that , SOME of you exsmokers kill me.

Im my considered opinion alcohol causes more devastation and harm than smoking does.[/quote]

I agree that alcohol causes more harm, hence, there are more laws to protect others from alcohol abusers.[/quote]
    All I'm asking for is protection from the elements in an area designated for smoking. Is that so unreasonable?[/quote]

well, it should be up to an individual business to accomodate smokers. It should be a business decision, not a decision based on "smokers' rights".
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I agree that alcohol causes more harm, hence, there are more laws to protect others from alcohol abusers.[/quote]
    All I'm asking for is protection from the elements in an area designated for smoking. Is that so unreasonable?[/quote]

well, it should be up to an individual business to accomodate smokers. It should be a business decision, not a decision based on "smokers' rights".[/quote]

and the nonsmokers of my state have removed that option from a business.

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I swear , you fucking exsmokers kill me.

:lol::lol:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    I am a non-smoker and always have been. Many places I have been the only one who didn't smoke. The amount of productivity that is lost due to smokers is rediculous. At one place I got the shits with the guys always going out for a smoke break, outside of thier designated break/meal time, so I would just go outside for 5/10mins for hell of. After about a week of me going out and just sitting there doing nothing they started to complain.....so I put it to them, how is my going for a non-designated break any different to your having a smoke break??
    As an employee you are not paid to have smoke breaks whenever you feel like it, so eat some concrete and harden up, take breaks like the rest of us.

And there is no way I would want the money I bring in to the company to be used to build/filtrate a special smokers den. It is a personal choice to smoke, therefore it should be done on your personal time, not work time.

Where I currently work, the tide is changing. Slowly more and more people are becoming non-smokers....and it's great. We don't have to work beside smelly nicotine stench!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Although I've never smoked, my husband did and I saw how difficult it was for him to quit. Just from what I observed and what he told me about it, how years went by and cigs still seemed desirable, it must be a fierce addiction.

But I'm glad that there are so many restrictions about where people can smoke. I'm very allergic to tobacco smoke and exposure to just a little of it gives me a migraine. :sick:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Although I've never smoked, my husband did and I saw how difficult it was for him to quit. Just from what I observed and what he told me about it, how years went by and cigs still seemed desirable, it must be a fierce addiction.

But I'm glad that there are so many restrictions about where people can smoke. I'm very allergic to tobacco smoke and exposure to just a little of it gives me a migraine. :sick:
    That's exactly like my bf, he gets the worst headaches
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I wasn't sure whether to post in here or not - I have been slammed in her for being a smoker before.

I still smoke after 3 attempts at giving up. I try and be mindful of other people and go outside whatever the weather. The only time I smoke inside is with the consent of those around me.

I don't mind, it's my choice to do it.

I would like to mention that when we were in Bangkok airport there were these little boxes that smokers could go into that were well enclosed/separate extractors so that they didn't effect the non-smokers outside. They were pretty horrible places when you were in them. But after a long flight I was bloody glad to see them.

I think it's sensible to provide that kind of thing.
    let's think about this for a moment.
    smoke in the lungs, in the respiratory system.

years and years worth.
    i was very stupid for smoking.
    who smokes?
    are you stupid for smoking?

if you believe you are not stupid for smoking you are an idiot.

for like the 900th time i have quit smoking again.
    this is the last straw.
    im not ever goin back.

suck my nuts cigarettes.
    i hate you.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    mickeyrat wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

but it's not taxpayer money that in play here. If a bar restaurant or other business chose to build such an area, how is that YOUR money. I swear , you fucking exsmokers kill me.

Check that , SOME of you exsmokers kill me.
    Haha -- I was going to say that there are none so righteous as the reformed.

As a lifetime non-smoker I personally think that it's bullshit that we force businesses to decide whether they can or can't have patrons smoking in their establishment. That said, I love being able to go to a bar for a beer and not come out smelling like a tobacco factory but if there was such demand for non-smoking bars, somebody would open a non-smoking bar. Judging by the patronage at the bars since the smoking ban here in Ontario, I can see why nobody untertook to open a non-smoking bar though. I would somewhat support the many restrictions that we impose on smokers if we decided that we were going to refuse to collect tax money on cigs -- think that will happen any time soon?

On top of all that, single guys have no barometer by which to tell if "she pokes" anymore.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Smokers have the right to smoke indoors regardless of non smokers. It should be up to the owner of the establishment, regardless of what the law says.

Dunno who's more whiny...A smoker without a cig or a nonsmoker that has a little smoke come in their direction.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Smokers have the right to smoke indoors regardless of non smokers. It should be up to the owner of the establishment, regardless of what the law says.

Dunno who's more whiny...A smoker without a cig or a nonsmoker that has a little smoke come in their direction.
    nonsmokers tend to be very whiny about more than just cigarette smoke.
    smokers are ridiculous without cigarettes.

again, i am making tobacco illegal when i am elected president.
    green weed will be legal like tobacco products are now.

score a $20.00 sack of tobacco and get busted, you're fucked.
    $250.00 fine, plus court cost, 3 weekends of tobacco schooling.
    and 3 weekends of community service picking up trash alongside highways.

phillip morris is going down.
    it's only a matter of time.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    DewieCox wrote:

I think it's the dying non-smokers are actually whinging about, you know. :?
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    eMMI wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I think it's the dying non-smokers are actually whinging about, you know. :?

There's plenty of other shit in the air killin us, that a little smoke is not really worth bitchin about.
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2010
    deleted
    Post edited by electronblue on
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

whining nonsmokers are like a lot of other folks, whiny little fuckers.
    yet they probably drink soda pop @ an alarming rate.

today @ 6:13am
    while @ the grocery store
    i saw some careless pain in the ass broad flick her smoke on the ground beside our cars and stomp it out
    with her fatass foot. you are a dick.

im not whining am i, yes/no?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    DewieCox wrote:

So if i am a heroin user i should have the right to go around and stab anyone I want with my needles?
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    mickeyrat wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Smoking and drinking are both a choice. I say let people make that choice for themselves don't govern them, they are adults. People who drink don't go around spewing alcohol on others, so I don't want people who smoke blowing their smoke on me. Is it too much to ask that you stand somewhere else while you do it?
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    haffajappa wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

So if i am a heroin user i should have the right to go around and stab anyone I want with my needles?
    Propaganda kicks ass.

I hope that you don't ever drive a vehicle around town intentionally subjecting all the walkers and bike-riders to your harmful exhaust gases.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...