Smokers' Rights

Comments

• dunkman wrote:
    passive smoking kills many many thousands per year...

If you smoked next to me and endanger my health then surely i have every right to punch you in the throat to endanger your health?

its the same thing... thats why i tend not to punch people in the throat...

haha, thats funny...I like to think about spreading their lips and just farting in their mouths.

I was at a beach a few weeks ago enjoying the warm sand and the calm and tanquil blue waters, when...these two pigs sat down within 15 feet of me and my g/f and lit up their gigs. I watched them smash them out in the sand. disgusting. My nose immedtiately started to stuff up because I am allergic. I had to move our towels and umbrella and cooler away from those pricks.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Not to get into a pissing match but those same said people waiting for the bus, watching the congested traffic crawl by them seem to have no problem sucking in the yellow haze from the exhaust pipes. Just sayin'.

I just noticed many of the buses and cabs in NYC are hybrid and some are electric. We're working on cleaning that up at least.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • The last I noticed driving a car was as legal as smoking ciggies and they both pollute. So to say that the yellow haze is for everyone is a little short sighted. As people who drive have the option just like smokers not to do it.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    eMMI wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Yeah, I never understood why we feel entitled to put down someone else just because they're not "like me". So what if people want to smoke cigarettes; it's their life, they can do what they want with it. Life itself is too great and vast to focus on the small details anyways. Enjoy life and everyone in our lives, while we're alive.
    True! And I would rather get in a car with 4and20 than someone that has had a few beers. We don't seem to condemn drinkers as much though. Getting slaughtered seems to be something to brag about and laugh at.

Drinking excessively (and drunk driving) is of course a big problem too. But in a way drinking and smoking aren't comparable, because someone drinking near me (when we talk about them just consuming alcoholic beverages, not driving drunk or other) isn't risking my health whereas someone smoking near me, and me having to inhale the smoke, is.
    The law in Finland must be different to in the UK because it's almost impossible to sit and have a drink with someone and have to suffer cigarette smoke, unless you're in a pub garden. I've also never had anyone get aggressive with me because they had one too many cigs.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    The last I noticed driving a car was as legal as smoking ciggies and they both pollute. So to say that the yellow haze is for everyone is a little short sighted. As people who drive have the option just like smokers not to do it.

For everyone, as in that it pretty much affects everyone. At least steps are being made to cut it down.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    nuffingman wrote:
    eMMI wrote:
    Drinking excessively (and drunk driving) is of course a big problem too. But in a way drinking and smoking aren't comparable, because someone drinking near me (when we talk about them just consuming alcoholic beverages, not driving drunk or other) isn't risking my health whereas someone smoking near me, and me having to inhale the smoke, is.

The law in Finland must be different to in the UK because it's almost impossible to sit and have a drink with someone and have to suffer cigarette smoke, unless you're in a pub garden. I've also never had anyone get aggressive with me because they had one too many cigs.

I don't think they're that different actually. You can't smoke in bars and pubs here and so on. But that's not what I'm talking about at all.

Drinking or not, non-smokers shouldn't have to inhale second hand smoke if they don't want to.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    eMMI wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    eMMI wrote:

I don't think they're that different actually. You can't smoke in bars and pubs here and so on. But that's not what I'm talking about at all.

Drinking or not, non-smokers shouldn't have to inhale second hand smoke if they don't want to.

again, an establishment should be able to decide if they want to have smokers or not. Have a sign in the window to designate if they are a smoking bar or not. Easy as that, in New Orleans, there is a rainbow in the front window to designate that it is a gay bar, in California, there are 'letter grades' that the Dept of Health has issued them, your choice to eat at a D grade restaurant. Cigarette in the window, your choice to go there or not...simple as that.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Yeah, I never understood why we feel entitled to put down someone else just because they're not "like me". So what if people want to smoke cigarettes; it's their life, they can do what they want with it. Life itself is too great and vast to focus on the small details anyways. Enjoy life and everyone in our lives, while we're alive.

The debate here isn't really about putting people down because they aren't "like me", rather, its about people who disregard the health of others, and then complain that they have no rights.
  • Do you non smokers have the same problem with a smoker who lights up a joint within your
    personal breathing space?
    Do you non smokers have the same problem with a smoker who lights up a joint within your
    personal breathing space?

First of all, that's super duper rare compared to cigarettes and I'm not sure if that's ever happened to me. Actually, now that I think of it, it has at a Pearl Jam concert. And yes, I have a problem with it. Not the same one necessarily, but it's still smoke that I don't necessarily want to inhale. Of course, not such a risk to my health as cig smoke.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    No topic can turn otherwise cool people into complete judgemental douches as quickly as this one.
    Seriously, some of you need to get over yourselves. I haven't had a cigarette for 1.5 years, and I'm still offended by the blanket comments and self-righteous bullshit spewed in these threads.
    Glass houses, people.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    edited October 2010
    No topic can turn otherwise cool people into complete judgemental douches as quickly as this one.
    Seriously, some of you need to get over yourselves. I haven't had a cigarette for 1.5 years, and I'm still offended by the blanket comments and self-righteous bullshit spewed in these threads.
    Glass houses, people.
    Death penalty's got to be a close second!

...or any particular subject from the Moving Train...
    Post edited by Rygar on
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I smoke cigars and my wife runs the other way when I light up

It does keep the mosquitoes away in the summer

I respect the people in my area but mostly when Im puffing its with my boys who also have a cigar
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
    edited October 2010
    Smoking laws are a joke and should not exist. Why should the government be able to tell people where they can smoke? If it's so bad why is it legal? Money. They get money from people buying cigarettes and then want to fine you for smoking in a place they don't want you to smoke in for more money, a place that doesn't even belong to them. Half you people wouldn't be taking the bus if you didn't have a DUI, and that's cool though. Should alcohol be illegal? Of course not..........Your complaining about someone smoking outside. I thought outside air is free. Or should the government tax air now too? Claim rights and ownership over air. Oh and for you people who work in a restaurant or bar here's an idea if you you don't like the smoke quit your job and go to college. No one is forcing you to work there. Let's all keep being offended by everyone and everything. Everyone is so weak now. What has happened to this world where everyone does nothing but bitch and moan about everything.
    Post edited by corduroykelly on
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    No smoking laws are a joke and should not exist. Why should the government be able to tell people where they can smoke? If it's so bad why is it legal? Money. They get money from people buying cigarettes and then want to fine you for smoking in a place they don't want you to smoke that doesn't even belong to them. Half you people wouldn't be taking the bus if you didn't have a DUI, and that's cool though. It's outside in free air unless you want the government to tax our air now too. Oh and for you people who work in a restaurant or bar here's an idea if you you don't like the smoke quit your job and go to college. No one is forcing you to work there. Let's all keep being offended by everyone and everything. Everyone is so weak now. What has happened to this world where everyone does nothing but bitch and moan about everything.
    that is the point as far as im concerned.
    why is tobacco legal and marijuana isn't?
    it's a shit law.
    it make zero sense.

believe it, tobacco is terrible.
    weed had chemicals in it too but it has zero nicotine, right?
    nicotine being one of the most poisonous chemicals on earth.
    what's it take to kill someone a 1/4 gram of pure nicotine...over with???
    tobacco plant will fuck you up.

i smoked on/off for 23 yrs or something..
    love a nice cigar.

i just wanna smoke my bud and be good to go like cigarettes
    and i dont and wont breathe my weed smoke on anyone
    i eat the roach so im not throwing the remainder on the ground :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    No smoking laws are a joke and should not exist. Why should the government be able to tell people where they can smoke? If it's so bad why is it legal? Money. They get money from people buying cigarettes and then want to fine you for smoking in a place they don't want you to smoke that doesn't even belong to them. Half you people wouldn't be taking the bus if you didn't have a DUI, and that's cool though. It's outside in free air unless you want the government to tax our air now too. Oh and for you people who work in a restaurant or bar here's an idea if you you don't like the smoke quit your job and go to college. No one is forcing you to work there. Let's all keep being offended by everyone and everything. Everyone is so weak now. What has happened to this world where everyone does nothing but bitch and moan about everything.

Sounds like someone needs a smoke really really bad!
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    haffajappa wrote:
    Sorry I fail to see where propaganda comes in here, are you suggesting that the surgeon general warning is a lie to back some sort of agenda? Or that me making a post about how I don't like tobacco smoke in my face is somehow lying to the masses...

And I don't own a car.

Of course you don't.

I'm just saying that as disgusting as it is, the whole second hand smoke paranoia is blown (haha) way way way out of proportion. If second-hand smoke doesn't give you cancer, the pesticides used on our vegtables, the radiation emitting from our cell phones or wireless routers, being in the abomination that is our sun or growing older than the ripe old age of 50 will get you. Life's too short to worrying about something as incidental as 2nd hand smoke.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,440

we wouldn't need laws if the selfish ignorant smokers of the world would do it in their own space and not insist on doing it anywhere they want with absolutely no regard to others. you want to smoke fine, but what gives you the right do smoke next to me and let the smoke blow on me with no regard ? would it be ok for me to turn and sneeze on you with no regard for your space? i highly doubt any smoker would take too kindly to that but they have no problem blowing their smoke all over everyone else.
    Songburst wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    Sorry I fail to see where propaganda comes in here, are you suggesting that the surgeon general warning is a lie to back some sort of agenda? Or that me making a post about how I don't like tobacco smoke in my face is somehow lying to the masses...

And I don't own a car.

Of course you don't.

I'm just saying that as disgusting as it is, the whole second hand smoke paranoia is blown (haha) way way way out of proportion. If second-hand smoke doesn't give you cancer, the pesticides used on our vegtables, the radiation emitting from our cell phones or wireless routers, being in the abomination that is our sun or growing older than the ripe old age of 50 will get you. Life's too short to worrying about something as incidental as 2nd hand smoke.

Some people are allergic to smoke. Some people have asthma. Some people don't want themselves or their clothing to smell like smoke.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    pjhawks wrote:

we wouldn't need laws if the selfish ignorant smokers of the world would do it in their own space and not insist on doing it anywhere they want with absolutely no regard to others. you want to smoke fine, but what gives you the right do smoke next to me and let the smoke blow on me with no regard ? would it be ok for me to turn and sneeze on you with no regard for your space? i highly doubt any smoker would take too kindly to that but they have no problem blowing their smoke all over everyone else.

OK you have the RIGHT to smoke, but you DO NOT have the right to impose that upon others.

Here it is banned in restaurants and bars/clubs etc. It is so much more pleasurable to be able to have a meal without having it ruined by someone smoking nearby. Also banned within 4metres (or maybe 3m) of a business entrance.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    pjhawks wrote:

forget the sneezing... just punch them in the throat. hard.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Some people are allergic to smoke. Some people have asthma. Some people don't want themselves or their clothing to smell like smoke.
    Yup -- I'm in the 3rd category there. If you have allergies or asthma or an aversion to smelling like smoke, don't patronize places that allow smoking. Of course it's illegal to run a place that allows smoking now so it's a moot point.

We're getting really soft as a people and we rely way too much on rules and regulations to protect us from ourselves. This is just one more choice that we don't have to make.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Sounds like someone needs a smoke really really bad!

someone also needs to realize this is not the only country this is happening in... :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    pjhawks wrote:

OK you have the RIGHT to smoke, but you DO NOT have the right to impose that upon others.

Here it is banned in restaurants and bars/clubs etc. It is so much more pleasurable to be able to have a meal without having it ruined by someone smoking nearby. Also banned within 4metres (or maybe 3m) of a business entrance.

3 or 4 meters! wow--that's like 5 miles right?
    www.myspace.com
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

if i jumped into a giant vat of human shit, then walked into the bar you were in and just kept following you around like the proverbial 'bad smell' ... would you be ok with that? cos i dont think smelling like shit has been banned yet so i wouldnt be breaking any laws...

your smoke stinks... its filthy and disgusting... I want to be able to walk into a bar covered in human excrement... but i'm not a selfish fucker so I tend not to do it... couldnt you lazy smokers exercise your ever blackening lungs and walk the 12 paces to the front fucking door of a bar so you can enjoy your death stick outside? I walk the 14 paces to the mens toilets so i can do a shit in them... if i was the toilet version of a smoker I would just drop the trousers and do it right there on the floor... but i dont, out of respect for myself and other people around me i walk to the designated shitting area and do it there... you whiny smoking dolts can even be fucking bothered walking to a designated smoking area... that defies belief... are you seriously that lazy???? that selfish?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    3 or 4 meters! wow--that's like 5 miles right?

:lol: The way some people carry on about it you'd think it was! ;)
    dunkman wrote:

if i jumped into a giant vat of human shit, then walked into the bar you were in and just kept following you around like the proverbial 'bad smell' ... would you be ok with that? cos i dont think smelling like shit has been banned yet so i wouldnt be breaking any laws...

your smoke stinks... its filthy and disgusting... I want to be able to walk into a bar covered in human excrement... but i'm not a selfish fucker so I tend not to do it... couldnt you lazy smokers exercise your ever blackening lungs and walk the 12 paces to the front fucking door of a bar so you can enjoy your death stick outside? I walk the 14 paces to the mens toilets so i can do a shit in them... if i was the toilet version of a smoker I would just drop the trousers and do it right there on the floor... but i dont, out of respect for myself and other people around me i walk to the designated shitting area and do it there... you whiny smoking dolts can even be fucking bothered walking to a designated smoking area... that defies belief... are you seriously that lazy???? that selfish?

dunk you are fantastic
    i just laughed my ass off
    thank you and good morning, Sir.

smokes blow

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I just know the smoking ban has made nights out much more enjoyable for me. I'm allergic and the main irritation to me was my eyes so any night out was actually physically painful for me and I'd sometimes have to leave early. Then get home 10pm or 3am had to take a shower to get rid of the smell. But I did it as like Pandora said I wanted to spend time with my friends some of who smoked. I find bars and pubs more pleasent to be in ... also an added bonus is that many friends have used this as a trigger to stop smoking meaning hopefully they'll be around a little longer ... and they are also a little richer.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    chime wrote:
    I just know the smoking ban has made nights out much more enjoyable for me. I'm allergic and the main irritation to me was my eyes so any night out was actually physically painful for me and I'd sometimes have to leave early. Then get home 10pm or 3am had to take a shower to get rid of the smell. But I did it as like Pandora said I wanted to spend time with my friends some of who smoked. I find bars and pubs more pleasent to be in ... also an added bonus is that many friends have used this as a trigger to stop smoking meaning hopefully they'll be around a little longer ... and they are also a little richer.
    i doubt you are allergic to smoke.
    does that mean you are and others are not?
    i think smoke bothers everyone.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited October 2010
    chadwick wrote:
    chime wrote:
    i doubt you are allergic to smoke.
    does that mean you are and others are not?
    i think smoke bothers everyone.

I am allergic to smoke ... not everyones eyes puff up go red and hurt just from being in a bar (when smoking was allowed). Yes some people are allergic (think others in this thread have also mentioned it) and some not ... same as some people are allergic to beer and some not ... but yes I think smoke does bother all non-smokers.
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?