I remember when.....

pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
gas cost 35 cents a gallon and an average new car costs $3000! :shock:

what do you remember when?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cell Phones were bigger than my dog :?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I remember when I first got my license (which was only 12 yrs ago) gas costed 45 cents/liter and now it's over a 1$/liter. Five bucks used to last me a whole weekend...now five bucks hardly gets me to work.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
    Cell Phones were bigger than my dog :?
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • I remember when cigarettes were .56 cents a pack.

I remember when I said once they reached a dollar a pack, I would quit

yeah right

here I am paying close to 6 bucks a pack

it's pathetic, I know, you don't need to tell me
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I remember when at the State Fair, you could hold a little piglet, or cute fuzzy duckling. Now everybody is scared of germs and they don't let you do that anymore. :cry:

Oh, and I remember sitting in the car waiting in line for gasoline when there was a shortage.....and I'd watch the numbers roll by and make the cool ticking sounds. When the attendant would come out and pump gas for you, check your oil, and wash your windows.....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless

yeah right

Try 12 bucks...

Thank you Mayor Bloomberg :x
    Yeah, I did the same thing :cry:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Jukee wrote:
    I remember when I first got my license (which was only 12 yrs ago) gas costed 45 cents/liter and now it's over a 1$/liter. Five bucks used to last me a whole weekend...now five bucks hardly gets me to work.
    I remember when we measured things by the gallon... Liters :x
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Cell Phones were bigger than my dog :?

you've not seen my cell have you.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

yeah right

just paid $12
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • I would listen to my vinyl records for hours on end every night
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Yes and I remember when 45's cost 50 cents and my little AM transistor radio went everywhere with me :DBlueRadio1024.jpg
  • I remember paying 15$ for a Led Zeppeling ticket at Nassau Colliseum box office on day of show 1975 8-) ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I remember buying candy for a nickel at the pharmacy near my house.
    Going to the gate at the airport to see someone off on their flight.
    Using a typewriter.

I'm fucking OLD :lol:
  • Cell Phones were bigger than my dog :?
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • i remember when it was like a jungle,now looks like boiled chicken...
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i remember my dad telling me about 5c beers @ a Bar. 1 dollar = 20 beers. Can you immagine!!! He'd tell me about getting off work on friday and going to the bar, sleeping in central park and only going home on Monday Morning to shower, shave and change his close before going back to work. Sounds Wonderful :D
    I remember when I felt safe to walk outside at night in the dark...Too many weirdos nowadays.
  • Many, many memories. Among the best are all the concerts I saw for only $5-10 in the 70s, including Jimi Hendrix for $5 in 1970. My husband paid about the same to see Blind Faith in Baltimore in 1969.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    :lol:

I hope I'm understanding your Greeklish correctly.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • i drank 4 month old whiskey we used in a bong instead water, ah i almost forgot. smooth :idea: ha
    Sep28,1996,Sep11,1998,Jul08,2003,Jul09,2003,jun25,2005,Jun24,2008,Jun25,2008,May20,2010,May21,2010,Jun14,1998,Aug23,2000,Aug24,2000,Aug25,2000,sept01,2000,Sep02,2000,Jul14,2003,Jul12,2003Apr30,2003,Apr28,2003,Apr01,2003,Oct03,2004,Oct02,2004,Oct01,2004,Sep28,2004,Sep29,2004,Oct11,2004,Sep30,2005,Oct01,2005,Oct03,2005,May13,2006,May27,2006May282006,Jun01,2006Jun03,2006,Jun19,2008,Jun20,2008,Oct28,2009Oct30,2009
    Oct31,2009,May18,2010,Sep19,2005
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    i remember my dad telling me about 5c beers @ a Bar. 1 dollar = 20 beers. Can you immagine!!! He'd tell me about getting off work on friday and going to the bar, sleeping in central park and only going home on Monday Morning to shower, shave and change his close before going back to work. Sounds Wonderful :D

I bet you missed him on the weekends
    :lol:

I hope I'm understanding your Greeklish correctly.
    u did... :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    In my neighborhood growing up, when one kid wanted another kid to come out & play, you didn't call them on the phone. Nor did you knock on their door. You would stand on the sidewalk in front of their house, make a megaphone out of your hands, and shout, "YO, ROBERT" (or whatever the kid's name was) repeatedly until the kid came out, which was usually 60 seconds or less.

Was this only my neighborhood?
    (in the seventies)
    DangDang wrote:
    In my neighborhood growing up, when one kid wanted another kid to come out & play, you didn't call them on the phone. Nor did you knock on their door. You would stand on the sidewalk in front of their house, make a megaphone out of your hands, and shout, "YO, ROBERT" (or whatever the kid's name was) repeatedly until the kid came out, which was usually 60 seconds or less.

(in the seventies)

No, it wasn't...not too many kids in my neighborhood when I grew up (more of farm-like area...WAY before Microsoft). The other kid's house backed to my back yard, so I'd go to my backyard and yell her name, and she'd come out and put out a stepladder for me to climb over the fence to her yard. As I got older, kids would just go out to play, then other kids would come out. We'd roller skate down the middle of the road and have races...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DangDang wrote:

(in the seventies)
    Also grew up in the 70s, though my friends were like 3 blocks away so I did have to call. I could have yelled and they would have heard me though....always had strong lungs :lol:

The neighbor kid though next door, I'd just lean over the fence and holler :D
    4and20 wrote:
    We'd roller skate down the middle of the road and have races...

Were they the skates that you'd wear OVER your sneakers?
    DangDang wrote:
    4and20 wrote:
    We'd roller skate down the middle of the road and have races...

Were they the skates that you'd wear OVER your sneakers?

no, they weren't the old metal wheel skates! :lol:
    They were the red, white and blue boot lace up ones...and you'd go to the skating rink and get those silly fuzzy pom-pons to put on the front....(mine were pink, and they had bells on them... :oops: )
    I was quite the roller skater back then

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTh43Wfm_JgVCnubjHht2OUZKEKBV6acCWJ4HzXg9Ld82khsho&t=1&usg=__egrJNuIFI1_mMWEmSJsORzl_q-Q=

the ones on the left....Sears didn't have any of the white ones :cry:

- Christopher McCandless
    I remember being in 8th grade catholic school--about 13 yrs old-- and there was a "substitute" priest who used to buy the boys in my class beer. I remember me & my friend standing outside the rectory, standing on a pile of bricks looking inside the window to see what was going on. During this time, the priest left in the car & took the boys with him. Me & my friend went into the rectory, and removed a six pack of beer from the fridge.

We hid the beer in the bushes until the next morning. Next morning came & we bought snowcones, sucked all the juice out of them until they were just balls of ice. Then we poured the beer into the snowcones and enjoyed the nice cold beer-cones repeatedly throughout the afternoon.

Any of you ever do this too?
  • DangDang wrote:
    I remember being in 8th grade catholic school--about 13 yrs old-- and there was a "substitute" priest who used to buy the boys in my class beer. I remember me & my friend standing outside the rectory, standing on a pile of bricks looking inside the window to see what was going on. During this time, the priest left in the car & took the boys with him. Me & my friend went into the rectory, and removed a six pack of beer from the fridge.

We hid the beer in the bushes until the next morning. Next morning came & we bought snowcones, sucked all the juice out of them until they were just balls of ice. Then we poured the beer into the snowcones and enjoyed the nice cold beer-cones repeatedly throughout the afternoon.

No but it sounds like a great idea to this day, I live in Jersey and you can't get a cold beer in Jersey to save your GD life.

hmmm, beer-cones :D
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DangDang wrote:

catholic school girl??? most interesting information :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg