* * * * The National Football League - 2011 * * * *

Comments

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Newch91 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    I hope so.
    of course you would but i wouldn't. spags's biltz packages were some of the best i've seen.
    Yep. What team do you like?
    the cowboys heh heh
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    metsfan wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    of course you would but i wouldn't. spags's biltz packages were some of the best i've seen.
    Yep. What team do you like?
    the cowboys heh heh
    :lol: That's why you don't want him to go back to the Giants.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: yup

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    metsfan wrote:
    norm wrote:
    todd haley fired

hopefully steve spagnuola is next
    why would you want that for? you know damn well the Gmen would try to bring him back to coach the D.

...pretty sure the birds would be in the mix too ;)
    www.myspace.com
    metsfan wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: yup

i think he's one of the best defensive minds in the game. i've been rooting for his firing so the eagles can bring him back as d coordinator for while. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Being a Browns fan I'm used to watching bad football but good god this MNF game is awful!!!
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Wow, an offensive touchdown. The way this game was going I had almost forgotten you could do that.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    the rams are just awful....PUNCH IT IN :x
    www.myspace.com
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    that was the worst on-side kick attempt ever
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    that was the worst on-side kick attempt ever
    chiefs onside kick attempt yesterday is worse. ball only went 3 yards.

cover.

city.

:mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    In a bold and unprecedented move by the NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison has been suspended for one game. The suspension stems from this from this helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, as well as James Harrison's long history of illegal hits preceding that one. He's been fined six times over the last two years.

Here's a snippet from the league's official statement on the matter:

Harrison was penalized for roughing the passer in last Thursday night's Steelers-Browns game for an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit against a defenseless quarterback, Cleveland's Colt McCoy. In addition to four fines for illegal hits against quarterbacks in 2009 and 2010, Harrison also was fined twice for unnecessary roughness during that period. Harrison totaled six fines in that two-year period.

The 2011 League Policies for Players manual states: "Players who were fined for violations in 2009 or 2010, and whose fines were either partially or fully upheld, will be considered second and/or repeat offenders under this policy."

It's the first time the NFL has issued a suspension for such behavior. Until now, fines had been the only punishment dished out, but even the biggest of fines won't have the same impact as a suspension. Those are the attention-grabbers.

It's not a surprise that Harrison, with these suspensions, becomes the official poster boy for what can happen if a player fails to comply with these new NFL rule changes. Not only is Harrison a repeat offender, but he's also been completely unapologetic and brash in his belief that he's doing nothing wrong. One senses that the league would love for him to at least acknowledge that he has to change some things about how he plays. Maybe the suspension will be the thing that finally breaks him.

Harrison is expected to appeal the decision, and there's a chance it could be overturned before the Steelers' Monday game against the 49ers. We await his reaction.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... fl-wp13800
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,872
    norm wrote:
    In a bold and unprecedented move by the NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison has been suspended for one game. The suspension stems from this from this helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, as well as James Harrison's long history of illegal hits preceding that one. He's been fined six times over the last two years.

Here's a snippet from the league's official statement on the matter:

Harrison was penalized for roughing the passer in last Thursday night's Steelers-Browns game for an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit against a defenseless quarterback, Cleveland's Colt McCoy. In addition to four fines for illegal hits against quarterbacks in 2009 and 2010, Harrison also was fined twice for unnecessary roughness during that period. Harrison totaled six fines in that two-year period.

The 2011 League Policies for Players manual states: "Players who were fined for violations in 2009 or 2010, and whose fines were either partially or fully upheld, will be considered second and/or repeat offenders under this policy."

It's the first time the NFL has issued a suspension for such behavior. Until now, fines had been the only punishment dished out, but even the biggest of fines won't have the same impact as a suspension. Those are the attention-grabbers.

It's not a surprise that Harrison, with these suspensions, becomes the official poster boy for what can happen if a player fails to comply with these new NFL rule changes. Not only is Harrison a repeat offender, but he's also been completely unapologetic and brash in his belief that he's doing nothing wrong. One senses that the league would love for him to at least acknowledge that he has to change some things about how he plays. Maybe the suspension will be the thing that finally breaks him.

Harrison is expected to appeal the decision, and there's a chance it could be overturned before the Steelers' Monday game against the 49ers. We await his reaction.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... fl-wp13800
    I call it BS.. I didnt watch so I cant say if HtoH was incedental or not. i get that he was flagged for roughness. BUT I believe he's been put at the head of a "list" the NFL put togetther for this BS.

What did whats his nuts get for getting EJECTED from a game? After how many fines? HUH?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Sorry, I haven't posted in ages so I'm just sort of jumping in here. And it seems appropriate since, after like 8 months, I had forgotten that Harrison was still my profile pic on here. :lol:

Anyway, it is ridiculous for a player to get suspended for a FOOTBALL ACT and it is sets a scary precedent. He wasn't fighting. He wasn't stomping on someone. He wasn't punching a ref. He was doing his job. He was tackling a runner at any cost. And yes, McCoy at that point was a runner. He was out of the pocket, had tucked the ball, and was running. At the last moment, he found an open man and tossed it. But because Harrison is not Professor Spacetime he couldn't just stop his forward momentum in a split second.
    The hit was vicious and deserving of a fine, especially given Harrison's "repeat offender" status (though some of his fines from last year were questionable). However, suspending a player for a football act on the field is dangerous territory in my opinion.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Sorry, I haven't posted in ages so I'm just sort of jumping in here. And it seems appropriate since, after like 8 months, I had forgotten that Harrison was still my profile pic on here. :lol:

Anyway, it is ridiculous for a player to get suspended for a FOOTBALL ACT and it is sets a scary precedent. He wasn't fighting. He wasn't stomping on someone. He wasn't punching a ref. He was doing his job. He was tackling a runner at any cost. And yes, McCoy at that point was a runner. He was out of the pocket, had tucked the ball, and was running. At the last moment, he found an open man and tossed it. But because Harrison is not Professor Spacetime he couldn't just stop his forward momentum in a split second.
    The hit was vicious and deserving of a fine, especially given Harrison's "repeat offender" status (though some of his fines from last year were questionable). However, suspending a player for a football act on the field is dangerous territory in my opinion.
    It would probably help if he wasn't a dickhead. Just say'n.
    Jason P wrote:
    Haha, well argued and thoughtful point. :lol:

I'm not defending him. I think Harrison is a great player and a scary fucker. But if he was on a team I didn't love, I would want to kill him. He runs his mouth a lot (but then again, so does half of the league) and he has a weird sarcastic tone that I think a lot of the media just doesn't get. So yeah, him talking about not changing his ways or making jokes in the superbowl media day about Goodell is not helping him at all. Hell, even Tomlin didn't really defend him this time. That's why I said he should have been fined, heavily. But to suspend a player for playing their game, regardless of how severe it was (outside of like, literally breaking someone's leg intentionally, which again, wouldn't be considered a football act) is just crossing a scary line for all players in my mind.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I'm not defending him. I think Harrison is a great player and a scary fucker. But if he was on a team I didn't love, I would want to kill him. He runs his mouth a lot (but then again, so does half of the league) and he has a weird sarcastic tone that I think a lot of the media just doesn't get. So yeah, him talking about not changing his ways or making jokes in the superbowl media day about Goodell is not helping him at all. Hell, even Tomlin didn't really defend him this time. That's why I said he should have been fined, heavily. But to suspend a player for playing their game, regardless of how severe it was (outside of like, literally breaking someone's leg intentionally, which again, wouldn't be considered a football act) is just crossing a scary line for all players in my mind.
    The league's point is that the money did not seem to matter to Harrison. He has not gotten the message that the league does not want players hitting each other in the head anymore, which is strange in a way considering that the marquee athlete in Pittsburgh is suffering due to head injuries. Whether or not his style of tackling was considered okay yesterday is irrelevant. It is no longer deemed acceptable today. He evolves with the game, or he gets left behind.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    I think the bigger problem with the Harrison/McCoy hit is the fact that the Browns put McCoy back in the game even though he had a concussion. That's not supposed to happen, yet it did.

McCoy can't even remember what happened, and he can't remember some other plays from the game. Then in the post-game press conference the media had to turn off the lights on their cameras because the lights were "killing him". Light sensitivity being a concussion symptom. But he played out the game. And the dumbest thing is that the Browns season is basically over, they didn't need to take that kind of risk with McCoy.

The league needs to put a doctor or trainer on the sidelines to OK a players return to the game who is not associated with the team. A doctor from the team staff can't be trusted to be objective, because his employers can pressure him to OK a player. So far teams have been pretty good about following the concussion guidelines, I'm sure out of fear of what the league would do for not following them, but this situation shows there are still bugs in the system. The Browns supposedly (and I do mean supposedly, I wasn't there) didn't even run the standardized concussion test on Colt before putting him back in. And coach Shurmer refused to answer a question about whether they had, which I think adds some validity to that accusation. If he could honestly say "yes", I think he would have.
    I think the bigger problem with the Harrison/McCoy hit is the fact that the Browns put McCoy back in the game even though he had a concussion. That's not supposed to happen, yet it did.
    The league should hand out fines to the Brown's coaching staff. If the team doctor gets dinged $15K for allowing an injured player back in the game, believe you me, every team doctor will get that message load and clear! If the team doctor was overridden by the head coach, then Coach Shurmur should be fined twice as much as Rex Ryan was for telling a fan to fuck off.
    Jason P wrote:
    The league should hand out fines to the Brown's coaching staff. If the team doctor gets dinged $15K for allowing an injured player back in the game, believe you me, every team doctor will get that message load and clear! If the team doctor was overridden by the head coach, then Coach Shurmur should be fined twice as much as Rex Ryan was for telling a fan to fuck off.

That could work. But at the same time I can also see a coach/GM/owner saying "just give him the all clear, we'll pay your fine".
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Jason P wrote:

That could work. But at the same time I can also see a coach/GM/owner saying "just give him the all clear, we'll pay your fine".
    Fine the team itself and everybody in the chain of command that made the decision to put McCoy back in the game.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Right, I think McCoy going back into the game actually has a lot to do with the whole incident getting blown up too, honestly. The saddest (but also kind of tragically funny) part was after Harrison sacked McCoy again (gentler this time) on the next play, McCoy got up and patted Harrison on his helmet. At the time I thought, oh see? McCoy understands there wasn't any malice to the previous play. But after hearing about how McCoy didn't remember the last quarter, I think he probably just thought James Harrison was a nice doggie he wanted to pet. :?

I mean, to come totally clean though, I still think McCoy is a giant baby. But that's just because I'm a dick. :lol:
    If I was the owner, I would be very angry that my "star" (sorry Brown's fans ;) ) quarterback was put at severe risk by a Coach's decision.
    Jason P wrote:
    (sorry Brown's fans ;) )

What are those again? :think: :mrgreen:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    I was hoping you wouldn't take offense. :)

The other thing that didn't help is the sharp contrast between the two players. Harrison looks like he was carved from a giant block of granite and McCoy looks like he was shaped from a bowl of noodles.
    Jason P wrote:
    If I was the owner, I would be very angry that my "star" (sorry Brown's fans ;) ) quarterback was put at severe risk by a Coach's decision.

Well, in this specific situation I'm sure that's the case, but in general, when a season or playoff spot could ride on it, they might not be so far-sighted. And the NFL is just now getting away from (or trying to) the "walk it off" and "get tough, play through it" mentality. At least as far as concussions are concerned. And as evidenced from what happened in the Browns/Steelers game, some people haven't gotten the memo. There is so much money to be made from a playoff run, or a Super Bowl appearance, that an owner might not be trusted to make such a rational decision.

Anyway, I hope the Browns get reemed over this. I think the league, for the most part, has done a great job following the new concussion guidelines.
    Jason P wrote:
    I was hoping you wouldn't take offense. :)

The other thing that didn't help is the sharp contrast between the two players. Harrison looks like he was carved from a giant block of granite and McCoy looks like he was shaped from a bowl of noodles.

Hahaha, its true. Patton Oswalt has a great bit where he talks about how he looks like an anthropomorphic pot of noodles when he runs on his treadmill....kind of like that.

I thought the difference between Ben and McColt was even funnier...especially when McCoy's daddy :lol: had to come out the next day and criticize everyone and their brother in the Browns organization and NFL. I'm pretty sure Ben doesn't even have parents and just sprang forth from a puddle outside a sleazy strip club.
    I think Colt was definitely trying to put on a show since the other QB had his foot torn off and came back like a boss. :roll:
    It's official...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/mike-holmgren-colt-mccoy-not-tested-for-concussion-before-returning-to-field/2011/12/14/gIQAPCuQuO_blog.html

Browns President Mike Holmgren admits that McCoy was not even administered the concussion test. But he bullshits his way around it and says the coaching/medical staff did not even see the hit. Well they saw his ass laid out on the field when they had to go get him didn't they? There isn't a single thing that happens on the field (especially to the quarterback) that goes unnoticed, they probably had that book of pictures from the play down there 2 minutes later. But I'm sure they all saw it happen, it wasn't somebody back behind the play or anything. And they have people up there in the booth watching replays, etc. To say they didn't see it, or didn't know is ridiculous. And the fact they didn't even run the test in spite of the fact he got laid out and had to come out of the game is just stupid. I have no love for McCoy, or anybody who graduates from UT, but this goes beyond that. There needs to be a large scale set of fines and punishments for this.
This discussion has been closed.