Options

Most overrated bands

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,736
    DewieCox wrote:

That shit is totally overblown. They got sued b/c Plant didn't change the lyrics enough, and they didn't credit properly.

Jimmy Page may be the single most innovative person in rock history, and not just his guitar playing.

I love Page as much as anybody but I don't think it's overblown. His passing off the traditional instrumentals as his own aren't that big a deal. But Dazed and Confused is a pretty sad story and the band should just be ashamed of The Lemon Song.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

no they didn't
    The Beatles you mean??
    While they didn't "invent" it themselves, I am pretty sure it was invented for them....maybe not but think so

Les Paul invented it for himself.
    I see....Paul came up with manual double-tracking, but an Abbey Road studio technician invented automatic double-tracking at Lennon's request because of the tedious nature of doing it manually
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    DewieCox wrote:

That shit is totally overblown. They got sued b/c Plant didn't change the lyrics enough, and they didn't credit properly.

Jimmy Page may be the single most innovative person in rock history, and not just his guitar playing.

I love Page as much as anybody but I don't think it's overblown. His passing off the traditional instrumentals as his own aren't that big a deal. But Dazed and Confused is a pretty sad story and the band should just be ashamed of The Lemon Song.

I've read and heard all the examples and I just don't hear that many similarities other than lyrics. I think it was a product of bad management as much as anything on most of them. There's a few examples where I kinda shake my head, but it's nothin Clapton and Hendrix weren't doin.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I've read and heard all the examples and I just don't hear that many similarities other than lyrics. I think it was a product of bad management as much as anything on most of them. There's a few examples where I kinda shake my head, but it's nothin Clapton and Hendrix weren't doin.

I agree that a riff here and a lyric there isn't that big of a deal. The Stairway To Heaven/Taurus similarity never bothered me. Even Dazed is different enough (the middle section in particular) from Holmes' version to stand on it's own. But The Lemon Song is the exact same song as Killing Floor with guitars in place of the horns and that's not cool.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I agree that a riff here and a lyric there isn't that big of a deal. The Stairway To Heaven/Taurus similarity never bothered me. Even Dazed is different enough (the middle section in particular) from Holmes' version to stand on it's own. But The Lemon Song is the exact same song as Killing Floor with guitars in place of the horns and that's not cool.

Fair enough, but to read some people's opinions on it you'd think he stole everything. That's where I think it's overblown.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Fair enough, but to read some people's opinions on it you'd think he stole everything. That's where I think it's overblown.

Well it seems that it's the only thing that Zeppelin detractors have on the band. It's like how a Dan Mario detractor would note that he never won the Super Bowl or a Bill Clinton detractor would bring up his lying about Monica Lewinsky.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Jack White

he may be prolific but 80% of his music is redundant and dull

cool hat though :roll:

I'll take Jack's "dull and redundant" music over pretentious crap like Arcade Fire or Mars Volta any day.

I'll leave 'em all alone.

At the Drive In was great though :)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    DewieCox wrote:

Well it seems that it's the only thing that Zeppelin detractors have on the band. It's like how a Dan Mario detractor would note that he never won the Super Bowl or a Bill Clinton detractor would bring up his lying about Monica Lewinsky.

What about all that shite hobbity wank that Percy wrote? That's another thing.
  • Options

I think it's cool that he knows and writes about that stuff. What the hell else could he sing over the music to Battle of Evermore, Stairway or Ramble On? Anything else just wouldn't have fit. And at least he was branching out from girls, drugs, etcetcetc(and at least he actually wrote them ;) ).....I don't think a protest song woulda really worked with Zeppelin's music.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Yellow Ledbelly wrote:

DewieCox wrote:
    no they didn't

The Beatles you mean??
    While they didn't "invent" it themselves, I am pretty sure it was invented for them....maybe not but think so

Les Paul invented it for himself.

I see....Paul came up with manual double-tracking, but an Abbey Road studio technician invented automatic double-tracking at Lennon's request because of the tedious nature of doing it manually

yeah sorry about that i was referring to ADT not manual double-tracking - which after being invented at Abbey Road Studios was adopted by other bands pretty much immediately
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I think it's cool that he knows and writes about that stuff. What the hell else could he sing over the music to Battle of Evermore, Stairway or Ramble On? Anything else just wouldn't have fit. And at least he was branching out from girls, drugs, etcetcetc(and at least he actually wrote them ;) ).....I don't think a protest song woulda really worked with Zeppelin's music.

Maybe that's a good reason to rate them highly, then. They never made a turd like John and Yoko's Some Time in New York City. You've a good point! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,085
    Dave Matthews Band

+1
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    With no shadow of a doubt for me has to be The Doors ... they were used as a springboard for Morrison's narcissism
    I have never read,watched or heard anything about Morrison that doesn't confirm to me that he must have been a wanker of the highest order ... everyone I knew who were into them thought the fact that they were into them made them windswept and interesting ... it didn't,it doesn't and it won't
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    With no shadow of a doubt for me has to be The Doors ... they were used as a springboard for Morrison's narcissism
    I have never read,watched or heard anything about Morrison that doesn't confirm to me that he must have been a wanker of the highest order ... everyone I knew who were into them thought the fact that they were into them made them windswept and interesting ... it didn't,it doesn't and it won't

They were shite, weren't they? Poetry, my arse.
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    stargirl69 wrote:

They were shite, weren't they? Poetry, my arse.

Yes Fin in my (and yours) opinion they were ... no doubt we may both have to don our flame retardant suits in prep for the coming flames for sharing our opinion ... in my experience their fans are unshakable in their obsession for them.
    Fair enough ... but they were indeed shite.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Overrated? Yes. Shit? No.

They have more than enough good-to-great songs to warrant some of the praise they get, but I agree to the extent that I don't understand why the band (Morrison in particular) is so idolized.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you get TOOL but you dont get radiohead and think theyre over rated. interesting.

i havent been listening to radiohead no where near as long as i have TOOL but i put them both in the same basket.

Tool != Radiohead at all!! Tool is way harder than Radiohead. You might say they actually rock!! :lol:

yes thank you i am well aware of how hard TOOL are. :roll: im just saying... for me... what both bands do isnt easily characterised and so i put them in the same basket for their ambience and sonicscapes. thats all.. no need to think i dissed TOOL .
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    you are aware that jimmy page ripped off so much stuff. so led zep arent all that innovative. they still kick but lets not kid ourselves. 8-)

Yes I'm aware of every last Jimmy Page rip-off....but who cares? That doesn't take away from the Zeppelin tracks which are completely original and it doesn't take away from their influence on the bands that followed them. The Stones on the other hand would just wait for the Beatles to do something.....and then make a lesser version of it a few months later (See: Satanic Majesties). Once the Beatles broke up in 1970, the Stones (without anybody to follow) began churning out some pretty bland records.

didnt say i cared.. just pointing it out.

aaah the stones. theyre such a mystery to me. it seems i know more stones songs than i realised.. thats how much attention i pay to them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    This thread should really be titled "My Least Favorite Band". Over rated in many cases is a subjective thing. For this thread and to the OP what's the criteria that you want people to go by and then back that up with fact or at the very least a compelling argument. Personally I am no expert, but just about every time I see a list compiled of the top rock bands, the Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, Doors, U2 and others mentioned here appear very highly on this list. yet Pearl Jam does not...hmmmmm. Rolling Stone magazine just released a special edition titled the Beatles top 100 songs, which I bet most music fans had heard of those songs, not sure many if any other bands can claim that.

Here's a top 100 list that at least has a criteria.

http://www.avrev.com/top-100-bands-of-a ... /index.php
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    i have no idea how the beatles can be over rated.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    lukin2006 wrote:
    This thread should really be titled "My Least Favorite Band". Over rated in many cases is a subjective thing. For this thread and to the OP what's the criteria that you want people to go by and then back that up with fact or at the very least a compelling argument. Personally I am no expert, but just about every time I see a list compiled of the top rock bands, the Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, Doors, U2 and others mentioned here appear very highly on this list. yet Pearl Jam does not...hmmmmm. Rolling Stone magazine just released a special edition titled the Beatles top 100 songs, which I bet most music fans had heard of those songs, not sure many if any other bands can claim that.

I voted for Pearl Jam and Beatles as being over rated. However, I do like the Beatles quite a bit in their individual work. It's just that as a band I think they have been given too much credit for what I do not know?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I voted for Pearl Jam and Beatles as being over rated. However, I do like the Beatles quite a bit in their individual work. It's just that as a band I think they have been given too much credit for what I do not know?

Peace

That's fair enough, would you not agree that in many ways a list like this is subjective? I personally think the Beatles were the best band ever for many reasons followed by Zeppelin but those are just my opinion, My favorite band is PJ.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options

Because I think this is more about dislikes. Most experts have the Beatles ranked 1 or 2.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Peace

That's fair enough, would you not agree that in many ways a list like this is subjective? I personally think the Beatles were the best band ever for many reasons followed by Zeppelin but those are just my opinion, My favorite band is PJ.

reasons.. give us the reasoning behind why you think the beatles are the best band ever.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Because I think this is more about dislikes. Most experts have the Beatles ranked 1 or 2.

i think a lot of people dismiss the 'lightness', or what they perceive to be the lightness, of the beatles.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

reasons.. give us the reasoning behind why you think the beatles are the best band ever.

IMO...why are I think they are, well number 1 on my list look at the quality of work in just 8 years, no albums were fillers, 13 albums in what 8 years...pretty damn impressive. the likes of U2 and Pearl Jam and most other bands take 4 or 5 years before a new album comes out. But for me it's pretty much about the influence, amount of albums sold, the quality...IMO, the 20 number 1 hits, at one time occupying the top 5 slots of the billboard chart and I could go on and on about statistics, To me stats don't lie, and even today 40 years after the break up they are gaining new fans. Not many bands are relevant 40 years after they call it quits.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

IMO...why are I think they are, well number 1 on my list look at the quality of work in just 8 years, no albums were fillers, 13 albums in what 8 years...pretty damn impressive. the likes of U2 and Pearl Jam and most other bands take 4 or 5 years before a new album comes out. But for me it's pretty much about the influence, amount of albums sold, the quality...IMO, the 20 number 1 hits, at one time occupying the top 5 slots of the billboard chart and I could go on and on about statistics, To me stats don't lie, and even today 40 years after the break up they are gaining new fans. Not many bands are relevant 40 years after they call it quits.

true.

those old films of all those screaming girls just makes me laugh so much. id be superpissed if i was at a beatles gig and all i could hear was screaming bitches. i dont think ive ever gone as gaga as that over a band. it was phenomenal.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Saying you don't like The Beatles...is like saying you don't like ice cream...or pizza.

If you don't like The Beatles, Ice Cream, and Pizza...Then you're obviously just a lame ass and you probably have no friends.

Sorry.
  • Options
    Kings Of leon
    Led Zeppelin- even though i enjoy most of their music, still overrated
    U2
    Green Day(post Nimrod)
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Once the Beatles broke up in 1970, the Stones (without anybody to follow) began churning out some pretty bland records.

like Exile on Main Street :o

To call the Stones overrated is absurd

My list...

Dave Matthews Band
    Dave Matthews Band
    and
    Dave Matthews Band

honorable mention

REM
    The Doors (some decent tunes like Peace Frog, but mostly too weird for me)
    AC/DC
    The Fratellis
    Oasis
    Rage Against the Machine

Underrated

The Black Crowes
    Modest Mouse
    QOTSA