Options

Most overrated bands

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

you sir... are OFF my christmas card list. ;)8-)
    :lol::lol: :roll:

i'm sorry but they are overrated to the purest form. i could ask any punk band to play their music and it sound exactly the same like nirvana did cept a really poor version of dave g's drumming.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    EzikielEzikiel Posts: 112
    maj4e wrote:
    Tool

Thats it...you and me..outside...right now!!! I challenge you to a duel!!!

And people calling Zeppelin, The Beatles overrated? jees! :roll:

Overrated bands....

U2
    Nickelcrap
    Kings Of Leon (i want to do a case study of how they managed to get famous)
    Arcade Fire
    Arctic Monkeys
    Nov 13 2006, Melbourne
    Aug 18 2009, London
  • Options
    stipe19stipe19 Posts: 237
    haha nickelback. I dont think they were ever rated. They just sold a bunch of records to people that dont know shit about music.
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    edited August 2010
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    This year's winners...

1)Arcade Fire
    2)Muse
    3)Spoon
    4)The Decemberists
    5)Dirty Projectors
    6)The Hold Steady
    7)Animal Collective
    8)Panic At The Disco
    9)Of Montreal
    10)Mogwai

2010 inductees into the Overated Hall of Fame....

Pavement
    Joy Division
    The Smiths
    My Bloody Valentine
    The Flaming Lips

Overated Life Time Acheivement Award...and also this years host...

Bono

What a ridiculous, thoughtless post. You simply just named a bunch of bands that you don't like. Mogwai overrated??! Most people don't even know who Mogwai is. My Bloody Valentine?! Amazingly influential band that most people don't know anything by. How can that possibly be overrated? Because you read a good review for 'Loveless' on pitchfork? Your logic is just ridiculous...you say Pavement and Animal Collective and then Panic at the Disco?!....so 2 acclaimed "indie" bands that most people who never recognize and then a band who just about everyone knows is shit?
    Post edited by Benzor on
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    Re: Radiohead

IMO their music is boring and uncreative. I've tried listening to them numerous times and just don't hear anything special or even good. They are one hit wonders IMO and have made the most of it. I don't hear any talent at all just some guys who somehow found a niche that a lot of the youth of today has somehow deemed exceptional. I know I'm in the minority on this one(at least on this board) but have yet to meet anyone personally that actually thinks they are great. I am actually dumbfounded that they are so popular because they are so bad. Then again that's just my opinion but you did ask.

lol @ Radiohead being uncreative
  • Options
    stipe19 wrote:
    haha nickelback. I dont think they were ever rated. They just sold a bunch of records to people that dont know shit about music.

This. If your going to say Nickleback is overrated you gotta say every shitty pop act is overrated as well. In reality they all are shit to anyone who has any concept of music and thus rated by just about no one. If your going to say Nickleback might as well just say contemporary popular music and that sums up all that shit.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Jack White

he may be prolific but 80% of his music is redundant and dull

cool hat though :roll:

Agree.

Funny to see Kings of Leon get so much hate. 1st it was cool to like them. Now its cool to hate them. I still enjoy their music. Because of the times may be one of the best albums ive ever heard. Only by the night still had a handful of good tunes on it.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,497
    red mos wrote:
    TOOL- Good musicians, yes but their live show bored the hell out of me overall. I saw them live back in 2007, from recommendations from friends in high school/ college and on here- and just don't get it. Sorry. Danny Carey can play some bad ass beats I will admit- he is unbelievable, It's like he is playing 3 or 4 rythms at once (from watching you tube vids) but the whole live show overall, meh.

I would never call Tool overrated because their music is just amazing, but I totally understand where you're coming from on the live show thing. I had always heard that their shows were a religious experience and when I finally got to see them I was severely disappointed. It took me three shows before I finally saw one where I left feeling like I saw what I had heard about.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,736
    I would never call Tool overrated because their music is just amazing

A friend of mine (the dude who I always give my other PJ fanclub ticket to) has been trying to get me into Tool for years. He refers to their music as "epic." I refer to it as "boring." It's not that I haven't tried to get into them because I have. I really WANT to like them.....but I could never bring myself to listen to more than two of their songs consecutively before getting bored. I give them credit for their longevity and popularity but to me....they're the most overrated band of the 90's.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jack White

he may be prolific but 80% of his music is redundant and dull

cool hat though :roll:

I'll take Jack's "dull and redundant" music over pretentious crap like Arcade Fire or Mars Volta any day.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited August 2010
    This may have already been said, but I thought I might add this in regards to Radiohead.

They are extremely creative, every record sounds so complex and their formula has worked really well for them.
    In all honesty, they are one of those bands, that you have to be in a certain mood to listen to. When that mood hits BAM! It's like you totally are mesmerised by their music. That's how I am with Radiohead. Not overatted by any means to me. They are just a certain mood band. I told a friend of mine this, as he could never get into Radiohead, and one day he put on the bends while having some beers and came back and said "Thanks." I feel like Sonic youth is another "in the mood" kind of band. Great music, but to fully appreciate it, it's just got to hit you at the right moment.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    craigb wrote:
    The Doors

Thank God someone agrees with me.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Nirvana, Nirvana, oh and Nirvana.

Yeah, never really caught the hype with them either. Basically if you've heard a handful of their songs, you've heard it all...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    philthehip wrote:
    MANKIND wrote:
    for me its the beatles. i know im going to get bashed for this lol.

Your totally right with that one

On the whole, I think I'm going to have to agree with you as well.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    to say the beatles are overrated is absurd IMO - i get that they arent for everyone and all that but, the simple fact that they were the first to do a lot of things that all bands these days do (ringo was the first to remove the bottoms of his drums which totally changed the sound, they invented double-tracking which everyone uses, they were the first band to play stadium venues, they did sound and musical experimentation that was never done before they were around [echo effects, african instrument experimentation, etc], and the list goes on) is reason enough to say they arent overrated

for overrated bands looking at their ENTIRE career i think that van halen is very overrated, i think eddie van halen is amazing and david lee roth was a very good frontman but, they put out a lot of crap (see sammy and that nonsense with gary cherone)

also i feel KISS is really overrated, i know a lot of people are into them i just never got it
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    to say the beatles are overrated is absurd IMO - i get that they arent for everyone and all that but, the simple fact that they were the first to do a lot of things that all bands these days do (ringo was the first to remove the bottoms of his drums which totally changed the sound, they invented double-tracking which everyone uses, they were the first band to play stadium venues, they did sound and musical experimentation that was never done before they were around [echo effects, african instrument experimentation, etc], and the list goes on) is reason enough to say they arent overrated

for overrated bands looking at their ENTIRE career i think that van halen is very overrated, i think eddie van halen is amazing and david lee roth was a very good frontman but, they put out a lot of crap (see sammy and that nonsense with gary cherone)

also i feel KISS is really overrated, i know a lot of people are into them i just never got it
    :clap::clap::clap:

and yes KISS SUCK!
  • Options
    A friend of mine (the dude who I always give my other PJ fanclub ticket to) has been trying to get me into Tool for years. He refers to their music as "epic." I refer to it as "boring." It's not that I haven't tried to get into them because I have. I really WANT to like them.....but I could never bring myself to listen to more than two of their songs consecutively before getting bored. I give them credit for their longevity and popularity but to me....they're the most overrated band of the 90's.

Tool is most definitely not for everyone. Their songs are fairly long with sometimes extremely complex themes where if you don't understand the backstory behind the lyrics, you'll probably think Maynard is just rambling on - hence the boredom. And they aren't the most fan-friendly band either. Maynard has made it pretty clear he does exactly what he wants and he does it for himself and not for the fans. But I personally think their music is great and Lateralus is near the top of my all-time best album list.
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    the stones post 1970
    everything after sticky fingers is just fluff
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    they invented double-tracking which everyone uses

no they didn't
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    i always feel like i'm missing something with kiss. it's been 40 years or something like that and they are still popular.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Tool is most definitely not for everyone. Their songs are fairly long with sometimes extremely complex themes where if you don't understand the backstory behind the lyrics, you'll probably think Maynard is just rambling on - hence the boredom. And they aren't the most fan-friendly band either. Maynard has made it pretty clear he does exactly what he wants and he does it for himself and not for the fans. But I personally think their music is great and Lateralus is near the top of my all-time best album list.

you get TOOL but you dont get radiohead and think theyre over rated. interesting.

i havent been listening to radiohead no where near as long as i have TOOL but i put them both in the same basket.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Overrated:
    Rush
    Tool
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Dave Matthews Band
    Guns N Roses

Not Overrated
    Nirvana
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    The Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    Overrated:
    Rush
    Tool
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Dave Matthews Band
    Guns N Roses

Not Overrated
    Nirvana
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    The Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd

Totally agree with all of these.....except for The Stones. Some people hold in as high as regard as The Beatles and Zeppelin but I think that's absurd from a innovation/creativity standpoint.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Kraven wrote:
    Overrated:
    Rush
    Tool
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Dave Matthews Band
    Guns N Roses

Not Overrated
    Nirvana
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    The Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd

Totally agree with all of these.....except for The Stones. Some people hold in as high as regard as The Beatles and Zeppelin but I think that's absurd from a innovation/creativity standpoint.

you are aware that jimmy page ripped off so much stuff. so led zep arent all that innovative. they still kick but lets not kid ourselves. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    you get TOOL but you dont get radiohead and think theyre over rated. interesting.

i havent been listening to radiohead no where near as long as i have TOOL but i put them both in the same basket.

Tool != Radiohead at all!! Tool is way harder than Radiohead. You might say they actually rock!! :lol:
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    edited August 2010
    DewieCox wrote:

no they didn't
    The Beatles you mean??
    While they didn't "invent" it themselves, I am pretty sure it was invented for them....maybe not but think so
    And I'll put in a vote for Neil Young to be on the overrated list
    Rush too
    Post edited by Yellow Ledbelly on
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    you are aware that jimmy page ripped off so much stuff. so led zep arent all that innovative. they still kick but lets not kid ourselves. 8-)[/quote]

That shit is totally overblown. They got sued b/c Plant didn't change the lyrics enough, and they didn't credit properly.

Jimmy Page may be the single most innovative person in rock history, and not just his guitar playing.
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710

:clap::clap::clap:

and yes KISS SUCK!

I completely forgot about kiss
    change mine to kiss :thumbdown:
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    Overrated:
    Rush
    Tool
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Dave Matthews Band
    Guns N Roses

Not Overrated
    Nirvana
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    The Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd

you are aware that jimmy page ripped off so much stuff. so led zep arent all that innovative. they still kick but lets not kid ourselves. 8-)

Yes I'm aware of every last Jimmy Page rip-off....but who cares? That doesn't take away from the Zeppelin tracks which are completely original and it doesn't take away from their influence on the bands that followed them. The Stones on the other hand would just wait for the Beatles to do something.....and then make a lesser version of it a few months later (See: Satanic Majesties). Once the Beatles broke up in 1970, the Stones (without anybody to follow) began churning out some pretty bland records.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

no they didn't
    The Beatles you mean??
    While they didn't "invent" it themselves, I am pretty sure it was invented for them....maybe not but think so

Les Paul invented it for himself.