3)Spoon
    4)The Decemberists
    5)Dirty Projectors
    6)The Hold Steady
    7)Animal Collective
    8)Panic At The Disco
    9)Of Montreal
    10)Mogwai

2010 inductees into the Overated Hall of Fame....

Pavement
    Joy Division
    The Smiths
    My Bloody Valentine
    The Flaming Lips

Overated Life Time Acheivement Award...and also this years host...

Bono
    u must be kidding about joy division is overated..
    Also Pavement overated?????????? I dont think so
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Re: Radiohead

IMO their music is boring and uncreative. I've tried listening to them numerous times and just don't hear anything special or even good. They are one hit wonders IMO and have made the most of it. I don't hear any talent at all just some guys who somehow found a niche that a lot of the youth of today has somehow deemed exceptional. I know I'm in the minority on this one(at least on this board) but have yet to meet anyone personally that actually thinks they are great. I am actually dumbfounded that they are so popular because they are so bad. Then again that's just my opinion but you did ask.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,255
    For me, the Sex Pistols have to be the most overrated band of all time. They couldn't even play their instruments properly.

Honourable mentions: Muse, Queen, Kings of Leon, Joy Division, The Smiths.

Gotta love these threads :D
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Horos wrote:

IMO their music is boring and uncreative.

OK let me just stop you there. If you don't find them creative, you haven't listened to enough of their stuff. Call them boring or whatever else, but this band have always pushed themselves creativley speaking.

Even their older more rocking stuff didn't really sound like anyone else, my point in case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDhV5OTsnzY

And one hit wonders?! Um, they've had quite a few hit songs over here in the UK.........
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    pandora wrote:
    Aerosmith

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,736
    My Morning Jacket
    Kings of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Flaming Lips
    Incubus (with the exception of their first two albums)
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    u must be kidding about joy division is overated..
    mattdingle wrote:
    Also Pavement overated?????????? I dont think so

Never said they were bad...just overated.
  • Options
    London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    This should really be the bands you don't like thread :lol:
  • Options
    maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Radiohead and Tool
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    This should really be the bands you don't like thread :lol:

Or "bands that are more popular than you think they should be, regardless of influence and impact on the history and future of music" thread....Can't people give props where they are due?
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Edved82 wrote:
    For me, the Sex Pistols have to be the most overrated band of all time. They couldn't even play their instruments properly.

Honourable mentions: Muse, Queen, Kings of Leon, Joy Division, The Smiths.

Gotta love these threads :D
    The Sex Pistols aren't exempt from this thread either indeed although like Nirvana they were pioneers of a movement that transformed the next generation of better bands that many of us have benefited from since. But even though I enjoy the occasional blast they were mainly pretty awful. On the other hand and I do know this is all opinion based but Muse and Queen are/were amazing musicians with an over the top style of entertainment that obviously isn't to everyones taste but to call such talented people overrated? :? I guess you simply don't like them? I'm not the biggest fan of their music either but they deserve all the acclaim they get IMO. Joy Division are more of a cult band that most people have barely heard or even heard of and I don't hear them getting enough acclaim to be called overrated. You're right about KOL though! They were a half decent Southern rawk band and now they're unrecognisable MTV glamour boys stuck on repeat with their souls and roots torn out and left on a shiny stidio floor! And as talented as The Smiths were I don't know how that makes Morrisey a genius?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    These kyants:

the_wombles.jpg

Not a patch on these fellas:

kwackers.jpg
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Jack White

he may be prolific but 80% of his music is redundant and dull

cool hat though :roll:
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Horos wrote:

IMO their music is boring and uncreative. I've tried listening to them numerous times and just don't hear anything special or even good. They are one hit wonders IMO and have made the most of it. I don't hear any talent at all just some guys who somehow found a niche that a lot of the youth of today has somehow deemed exceptional. I know I'm in the minority on this one(at least on this board) but have yet to meet anyone personally that actually thinks they are great. I am actually dumbfounded that they are so popular because they are so bad. Then again that's just my opinion but you did ask.

thanks for clarifying.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Horos wrote:

What all have you listened to? Any fan of good rock music is surely a fan of The Bends.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Horos wrote:

What all have you listened to? Any fan of good rock music is surely a fan of The Bends.

apparently not. *shrugs*
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,497
    I'll weigh in on the Radiohead debate.

Can't stand 'em! Boring, boring, boring. The hubby likes them though. And I'm going to have to echo what someone else said a while back. In the US they were definitely a one-hit wonder. Ask anyone to name a Radiohead song and all they can say is Creep. That song was so overplayed, I really can't even listen to it much anymore. Maybe they are way bigger in the UK, don't know. I saw them open for REM in '95 and no one at the show was paying any attention to them and then they closed with Creep and everybody stopped and went " hey I know that song!".
  • Options

Can't stand 'em! Boring, boring, boring. The hubby likes them though. And I'm going to have to echo what someone else said a while back. In the US they were definitely a one-hit wonder. Ask anyone to name a Radiohead song and all they can say is Creep. That song was so overplayed, I really can't even listen to it much anymore. Maybe they are way bigger in the UK, don't know. I saw them open for REM in '95 and no one at the show was paying any attention to them and then they closed with Creep and everybody stopped and went " hey I know that song!".

but see the world doesnt revolve around the US. just cause one country doesnt get it, doesnt mean the rest of the world is the same.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

Get f'n real...I've seen 3 PJ shows, 3 Petty shows, Tool, Farm-aid, and Rush at pretty similar outdoor amphitheaters and Radiohead filled it more than any of them 2 years ago. You may not like them, but you can't deny they're one of the biggest bands in the world.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Get f'n real...I've seen 3 PJ shows, 3 Petty shows, Tool, Farm-aid, and Rush at pretty similar outdoor amphitheaters and Radiohead filled it more than any of them 2 years ago. You may not like them, but you can't deny they're one of the biggest bands in the world.

i think some people find radiohead too challenging and they cant connect with them. and thats ok. heck classical music bores me the majority of the time. radiohead arent easily pigeonholed, beyond being apparently over rated and boring of course. and sometimes radiohead is the last thing i want to listen to dependent on my mood and then there are times when i cant get enough of them. and lets face it.. not every band is for everyone. different strokes people.. different strokes.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I said I saw then in 1995!! I've never seen them since so I can't comment on their show attendance.
  • Options
    Horos wrote:

This is so true...If it wasnt for Creep they would be playing pubs still. The funny thing is that they pretty much refuse to play Creep live. :?
    Reading PA 2004
    Virginia Beach outside in the grass 2008
    Philly Spectrum night 2 2009
    New York MSG night 2 2010
    Montreal Bell Centre 2011
  • Options
    Horos wrote:

This is so true...If it wasnt for Creep they would be playing pubs still. The funny thing is that they pretty much refuse to play Creep live. :?

i know bands who are defined by the majority by one song and dont play it cause theyre no longer the same band they were back then. people need to move on.. cause clearly the band has.

oh and theyd be playing bigger places than pubs with or without creep.

oh and i dont come across anyone who likes pearl jam either. amazing but true.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    I'm surprised only one mentioned RUSH :D

Anyway....

The Beatles as group, individually fantastic especially George Harrison

Pearl Jam...just is :mrgreen:

Aerosmith...barely moves the crowd in concert

Motley Crue...better on the radio

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I said I saw then in 1995!! I've never seen them since so I can't comment on their show attendance.

But you did comment on their popularity and implied that they weren't that popular over here. I dunno what you gauge a bands popularity by, but concert attendance seems to be a pretty good start.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    DewieCox wrote:
    Horos wrote:

Tried Kid A numerous times because "It's the best album of the last decade." In Rainbows, some greatest hits stuff. Is The Bends a song or album? I'll check it out and give them another chance.
    #FHP
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

I have never heard Radiohead called a one hit wonder. I saw them play at an amphitheatre a couple years ago with like 15,000 people there.

One hit wonder's from the 90's like the Gin Blossoms play at little county fairs and stuff in this area now. They don't headline amphitheatre tours.

so maybe the radio sucess was not there but they have a lot of fans in the US.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I think Horos and my definition of a one-hit wonder differs from others. Radiohead truly had one hit song - Creep. Yes, they are a popular band and obviously can draw tens of thousands to their shows, and they sell a lot of records, but they really only had one hit song. The Gin Blossoms, while nowhere as critically acclaimed as Radiohead, actually had several hit songs, thus making them not technically a one-hit wonder.

Radiohead is just not my thing. I never called them untalented or called anyone of you who like them idiots. I was just merely stating my opinion on them. We all have differing tastes. I'm sure there's a ton of bands/artists I like that you probably don't, but I wouldn't take it personally if you did tell me someone I loved sucked.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Arcade Fire
    Coldplay
    Phish
    Dead Weather
    NERDS!
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    TOOL- Good musicians, yes but their live show bored the hell out of me overall. I saw them live back in 2007, from recommendations from friends in high school/ college and on here- and just don't get it. Sorry. Danny Carey can play some bad ass beats I will admit- he is unbelievable, It's like he is playing 3 or 4 rythms at once (from watching you tube vids) but the whole live show overall, meh.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12