Options

HBO: Boardwalk Empire

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I love when Capone is kicking the crap out of that guy and the owner of the bar he is working at is like "What are you doing"

"Making A Statement" :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I started watching episode 2 but turned it off halfway through as I was bored out of my mind. Don't think I'll bother with this one anymore.
  • Options
    I cancelled my HBO like 6 months ago...I was gonna call and see if they're running any deals

Is this show worth watching ??
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    I cancelled my HBO like 6 months ago...I was gonna call and see if they're running any deals

Is this show worth watching ??

I guess but only if u get a deal...otherwise DVD
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783
    I'm really liking this show so far. Some don't like it, but I think Steve Buscemi is perfect for this role.

On another note, it boggles my mind that there was prohibition in this country!!!! No booze for what? 13-14 years? Fucking blasphemy!!!
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,264
    I'm really liking this show so far. Some don't like it, but I think Steve Buscemi is perfect for this role.

On another note, it boggles my mind that there was prohibition in this country!!!! No booze for what? 13-14 years? Fucking blasphemy!!!

I agree that Buscemi is perfect!
    He fits perfectly in the sense that he's NOT a Tony Soprano. His character is a career public official who became corrupt. He was a sheriff who then ran for treasurer, and won that position (legally or illegally...).
    Had it not been for prohibition, he would have been nothing. He had family who also had high ranking positions...likely due from his namesake. As prohibition came to effect, historically the level of political corruption grew. Look back in history and those characters that started the mobster era were nothing more than average Joes, politicians, businessmen with money, etc. NOT your stereotypical Tony Soprano. Al Capone, which the show presents, while not 100% historically accurate...got his start from guys like Nuckey.

Size and muscle has no effect on power. When he face planted that guy into the tables he a) attacked a drunk and b) if he even beat up Nuckey he'd be floating in the Atlantic the next day.

I think Buscemi is without a doubt 100% perfect for the role!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

He fits perfectly in the sense that he's NOT a Tony Soprano. His character is a career public official who became corrupt. He was a sheriff who then ran for treasurer, and won that position (legally or illegally...).
    Had it not been for prohibition, he would have been nothing. He had family who also had high ranking positions...likely due from his namesake. As prohibition came to effect, historically the level of political corruption grew. Look back in history and those characters that started the mobster era were nothing more than average Joes, politicians, businessmen with money, etc. NOT your stereotypical Tony Soprano. Al Capone, which the show presents, while not 100% historically accurate...got his start from guys like Nuckey.

Size and muscle has no effect on power. When he face planted that guy into the tables he a) attacked a drunk and b) if he even beat up Nuckey he'd be floating in the Atlantic the next day.

well in real life he looked alot more like tony soprano than buschemi
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,469
    mca47 wrote:

well said. it's your classic napoleon complex. brilliant.

and there was no "real life" nucky thompson. the character is based on a guy who ran the republican party back then called enoch johnson.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Okay i'm gonna be honest i'm not finding this show that compelling. I was digging it and trying to give it time to develop but three episodes in and i'm starting to think i rather eitehr be reading my current novel of choice or watching sunday night football instead of wasting time with this.

It is okay and I can't say it is bad but it is not really pulling me in. I don't want more action necesarily but i want the characters to be more interesting and compelling.

Not giving up yet but I hope it turns it around soon.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    intodeep wrote:
    Okay i'm gonna be honest i'm not finding this show that compelling. I was digging it and trying to give it time to develop but three episodes in and i'm starting to think i rather eitehr be reading my current novel of choice or watching sunday night football instead of wasting time with this.

It is okay and I can't say it is bad but it is not really pulling me in. I don't want more action necesarily but i want the characters to be more interesting and compelling.

Not giving up yet but I hope it turns it around soon.

its losing me quickly

last night was horrible
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    No way that hot young stripper is Jimmy's mom and a granny, totally unbelievable..talk about casting wrong..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    didnt even bother to watch it on dvr.... dead show
  • Options
    didnt even bother to watch it on dvr.... dead show

gotta be a jersey shore rerun on at that time for you anyway. that's more your speed. :lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    that last one set up some potential action for next week

jimmy's gonna go off on those micks for fuckin up his girl's face
    i wanna see chalky start bustin a cap in some klan ass too
    somethings gotta start happening... its moving too slow for me

i think the casting could've been a lot stronger... i like capone... no one else is really keeping my interest
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options

i think the casting could've been a lot stronger... i like capone... no one else is really keeping my interest
    So far this series is okay but i don't see it getting much better.

I compare it to Treme in that Treme was moving slowly too but i wanted to know what happened next i was interested in the stories. Here it is just not sinking it's teeth in me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

So far this series is okay but i don't see it getting much better.

I compare it to Treme in that Treme was moving slowly too but i wanted to know what happened next i was interested in the stories. Here it is just not sinking it's teeth in me.

yea to much hype involved here
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I'm sticking with it. A little slow so far but I don't mind that.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    Flagg wrote:

As am I. Not much else on Sunday Nights anyway, unless the Steelers have the late game. I'll see how the season plays out. Figure it is only 12 or 13 episodes anyway.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong I will see it through to the end as well. Just not sure i'll be back for season 2 if it does not dramatically improve.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

i'm looking forward to this past sunday's episode. gonna watch it tonight. i like the whole jimmy out in chicago storyline with capone.....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    No way that hot young stripper is Jimmy's mom and a granny, totally unbelievable..talk about casting wrong..

Yeah, that has really been bothering me. She looks like she is the same age as her son!
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

Yeah, that has really been bothering me. She looks like she is the same age as her son!

i thought that too in last week's episode....slammin' hot though. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

i thought that too in last week's episode....slammin' hot though. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I think she might be my favorite chick on the show. Although I do kinda like Nucky's girl too.
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought about that shit being a bit out of whack....ain't no fucking granny..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought about that shit being a bit out of whack....ain't no fucking granny..

actually watching it last night i realized it might not be too far fetched. she's probably supposed to be mid 30's in the show. jimmy has got to be no older than 20. he just got back serving a couple years in the war. people had kids much earlier in those days. she could have easily had him at 15 or 16. i think it makes sense....though, i don't believe they had breast implants in those days. :)

i liked last night's show. i can see how people might be frustrated at it's pace thus far though. it looks like it will pick up next week. the thing people need to realize is it's not mindless tv like most of the other drivvle that is out there. this show requires you to pay attention and think because there are multiple storylines going on (probably a couple too many, admittedly). watching nucky schmooze the senator about the roads $$ was pretty interesting. "is that lemonade in your glass, senator?" :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I really liked the last episode and am enjoying the pace at which its going.

"Too slow"? What exactly do you want? I think it's almost perfect! In fact, I think its getting better and better as the weeks go on.

I too was a little confused with the stripper-mom, but it seems very possible. She easily could have had her kid in her teens (while stereotyping...she seems like the "type" ;) ). You have to figure her son is around 20, that would make her mid-30s. That's not really a stretch.
  • Options
    the thing people need to realize is it's not mindless tv like most of the other drivvle that is out there. this show requires you to pay attention and think because there are multiple storylines going on (probably a couple too many, admittedly). watching nucky schmooze the senator about the roads $$ was pretty interesting. "is that lemonade in your glass, senator?" :lol:

Agree.
    And I also liked that scene with the senator! I know there were posts about Steve Buchemi not being casted right for Nucky. The more I watch this show the more convinced he's damn near perfect for the role.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    the thing people need to realize is it's not mindless tv like most of the other drivvle that is out there. this show requires you to pay attention and think because there are multiple storylines going on (probably a couple too many, admittedly). watching nucky schmooze the senator about the roads $$ was pretty interesting. "is that lemonade in your glass, senator?" :lol:

Agree.
    And I also liked that scene with the senator! I know there were posts about Steve Buchemi not being casted right for Nucky. The more I watch this show the more convinced he's damn near perfect for the role.

yup. i like a show that doesn't assume the viewer is an idiot. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

actually watching it last night i realized it might not be too far fetched. she's probably supposed to be mid 30's in the show. jimmy has got to be no older than 20. he just got back serving a couple years in the war. people had kids much earlier in those days. she could have easily had him at 15 or 16. i think it makes sense....though, i don't believe they had breast implants in those days. :)

i liked last night's show. i can see how people might be frustrated at it's pace thus far though. it looks like it will pick up next week. the thing people need to realize is it's not mindless tv like most of the other drivvle that is out there. this show requires you to pay attention and think because there are multiple storylines going on (probably a couple too many, admittedly). watching nucky schmooze the senator about the roads $$ was pretty interesting. "is that lemonade in your glass, senator?" :lol:

Yep, theres definitely a lot going on with multiple storylines. It kinda reminds me of "The Wire" with that.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

Yep, theres definitely a lot going on with multiple storylines. It kinda reminds me of "The Wire" with that.

yeah...and by the way, as hot as nucky's gf is--i'd take that irish chick over her most days of the week :mrgreen: i like the accent
    chinese-happy.jpg