NCAA College Football -

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Beginning with the 2014 regular season a four-team playoff will decide college football’s national champion, with participants chosen by a 15-member selection committee after the final week of play.

Rejoice! After months of hovering and circling, the 12 BCS commissioners and 12 university presidents of the presidential oversight committee have officially stamped the BCS with an expiration date — Jan. 8, 2014.

That’s the day after the final BCS National Championship Game, which, ironically, will be held in the Rose Bowl — the site of the bowl that has proven a major sticking point in the long history of playoff proposals and debate in college football.

In the BCS’s place, the commissioners and presidents have completed work on a four-team playoff system that will take place a little more than a week.

More to come, obviously.

The two semifinal games will be held at two of six first-tier bowls each year.

A non-traditional host will stage the national championship game, much like the BCS National Title game had no “bowl” affiliation. This title game, however, will be bided out year-to-year, as the Super Bowl is
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    :corn: :corn:

fuck yes.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    LloydXmas wrote:
    :corn: :corn:

fuck yes.

just saw that. 8-)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:
    good read on the big ten and the rose bowl

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--big ... imURE5nYcB

:fp:
    It gives Big 10 fans a chance to see some sunlight and warm weather. I like the move. Although my team only gets there about once every 40 years.

i'd rather have home field advantage....sun be damned.

Completely agree. The Big Ten's love affair with the Rose Bowl is ridiculous. Semi-final games on campus would be unbelievable, especially one in Big 10 country in the snow, the way football is meant to be played, not in a fn' dome! But of course it's all about money, so the bowls will continue and fans will continue to have to open their pocket books or just not go.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    Why I don’t like playoffs for college football

I wasn’t going to write much about the new four-team playoff. Maybe it’s the ennui of the offseason setting in, but the prospect of rehashing all the same arguments one more time just wasn’t very appealing.

What finally spurred me to write something was seeing the NFL Networks’s “Top 10 Traditions” show on Thursday night.

The NFL’s ‘great’ traditions included such time-worn nuggets as ‘Cheerleaders’, ’Mascots’ ‘Tailgating’ and , lo and behold, the ‘pre-game flyover.’ Did you know that pre-game flyovers are an NFL tradition? Neither did I. But Brett Michaels of Poison fame and various other human debris showed up on the network to tell us all about it.

This horrible show reminded me of what’s at stake here. The advent of a playoff carries the danger of turning college football into a pale imitation of the NFL which, to me, would be the worst fate imaginable for such a unique and interesting sport.

I don’t want to rip The League too much. It has its charm and it’s obviously very popular. But it’s a product first and a sport second. It has a brilliant marketing strategy that has figured out how long it takes for someone to go to the bathroom during a commercial break. A large portion of its fan base follows the sport purely for fantasy league purposes. The Super Bowl is a social event centered primarily around gambling. The league as we know it began in 1970 and, like almost everything else created after that date, it gravitates toward tackiness, soullessness and self indulgence.

College football shouldn’t lurch toward that model and I don’t think most fans want that either. While I don’t doubt that some do want it and that others don’t care one way or the other, I’m not convinced they have the best interests of the sport at heart.

Don’t get me wrong. Even a traditionalist such as myself isn’t mortally opposed to this four-team format. But I’m also a realist. The new system does not actually solve anything when it comes to picking a champion. It just expands the playoff pool. There is still a poll, except now we will call it a selection committee. There will still be subjective judgements that lead to major disagreements, with teams crying over being left out or discriminated against. And, if history is any indication, the answer to this problem will be an expansion of the playoffs, first to 8, then 12, then 16 and so on. Eventually, the regular season will be virtually meaningless and college football will be nothing more than NFL-lite. Congratulations.

[Future reporter to future player: "What's your goal this year? Player: "Same as it is every year. To go 9-3, win our division and make the playoffs."]

Some people will welcome that expansion and have no problem with it and even push for it. My first instinct is that they should be kept as far away from college football as possible. My second instinct is that many of them probably like college football, but they don’t like it quite as much as the NFL or basketball and therefore the history and traditions that so many fans hold sacred don’t mean as much to them.

I grew up watching the old bowl system and it never once occurred to me back then that there was anything wrong with it. College football wasn’t about this ravenous quest for a national title and television rights, but about beating your rival, going to the big bowl game, hanging out on campus before the game and singing the fight song. Oh, sure, the polls came out at the end of the year and people argued all offseason about how their team got shafted in one way or another. But your team was still the best and your rival still sucked no matter what happened.

It was fun.

Somewhere along the way, that was all dismissed as inadequate. Think of all the money to be made if we can come up with a new way to crown a champion, they said. Revenue streams was the mantra. And so the BCS–essentially a two-team ‘playoff’–was created. Old rivalries died. Conferences broke up. Bowls lost their importance. The sport became more popular even as dissatisfaction with the postseason grew, mostly because it titillated fans’ natural paranoia about injustice, conspiracy and corruption (feelings many in the playoff-hungry media were only so happy to stoke).

Now the solution to the old ‘problem’ is a four-team playoff that is replete with the same issues that dogged the two-teamer. It’s just that no one will admit it because it’s more important to them that the camel’s nose of the playoff has finally been snuck under the tent. Besides, we all know it’s only temporary, even if the contract is for 12 years. Some are already pining for an eight-team affair, but I think any move in that direction would be a huge mistake.

My stance is that if we are going to create an imperfect way of crowning a champion, we should do so while holding on to as much of college football’s history and tradition as possible. It is this history and tradition, as well as the connection that alumni and fans and small towns have to their teams, that makes the sport special.

But if a small playoff leads to a bigger playoff and therefore to an end to the sanctity of the regular season and disruption of these traditions, then the sport as we know it is finished. Do I trust that the powers-that-be and their willing allies in the media will prevent this from happening? I do not. Do I think we should take this gamble? No.

So if we are going to have an imperfect, unsatisfying championship process that degrades the value of the regular season, then we might as well go back to the old bowl system. It may have been imperfect, but in many ways it was far more appealing than what we’ve been dabbling with of late.

I’m under no illusion that we can recreate some lost college football arcadia–some change will always be necessary–but we can certainly be more mindful of the direction we are taking.

Otherwise we might wake up one day with a 16-team playoff…and Poison performing at half time instead of the marching band.
    http://heismanpundit.com/2012/06/29/why ... -football/
    norm wrote:
    blah blah blah

bring on the playoffs.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    blah blah blah

bring on the playoffs.

right here...enjoy

http://www.nfl.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    Georgia RB Isaiah Crowell dismissed after weapons charge

(US Presswire)

About 12 hours after running back Isaiah Crowell was arrested on three weapons charges, coach Mark Richt announced the former No. 1 recruit in the country had been dismissed from the team.

"We have a dedicated and committed group of men who are working hard to prepare for the coming season," said Richt in a statement. "Our total focus will be directed toward the team and this effort."

Although the statement was brief, it didn't seem to leave room for Crowell to return.

According to the Athens Clarke County booking report, Crowell was arrested by Athens police at 3:37 a.m., at which time he was booked into the Athens Clarke County jail. The county's online jail booking report states Crowell bonded out at 12:44 p.m.

A police spokesman told UGASports that Crowell's arrest came following an early-morning stop at a police checkpoint on East Campus Road and Green Street on the Georgia campus. Four other individuals were in the car, but they were not arrested.

According to the spokesman, Crowell's car was stopped at 2:20 when an officer reported smelling the odor of marijuana. Crowell's car was searched, no marijuana was found but police did locate a 9-mm Luger handgun with the altered serial number. The gun was found under the driver's seat.

Two of the charges were felonies and the other was a misdemeanor and Crowell was originally booked on a $7,500 bond, which was raised to $9,500.

However, being dismissed from the Georgia football team might be the least of Crowell's problems. According to ESPN's Mark Schlabach, Crowell could face severe charges for his gun possession.

"Crowell facing 2-5 yrs on gun in school zone charge & 1-5 yrs on altered serial numbers, according to Georgia sentencing guidelines"

Because of potential jail time, it's hard to speculate where Crowell might try to restart his career. He rushed for 850 yards and five touchdowns in an injury-riddled first season with the Bulldogs.

But he also had trouble following the rules. He was suspended for the Vanderbilt game on Oct. 15 for unknown disciplinary reasons and again for the Nov. 5 game against New Mexico State for failing a drug test.

As of right now, this is an unfortunate end to what could have been a promising career.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    According to the spokesman, Crowell's car was stopped at 2:20 when an officer reported smelling the odor of marijuana. Crowell's car was searched, no marijuana was found but police did locate a 9-mm Luger handgun with the altered serial number. The gun was found under the driver's seat.

alrighty-then-funny-haha-jim-carrey-lol-Favim.com-292677.gif
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    imalive wrote:

(US Presswire)

About 12 hours after running back Isaiah Crowell was arrested on three weapons charges, coach Mark Richt announced the former No. 1 recruit in the country had been dismissed from the team.

"We have a dedicated and committed group of men who are working hard to prepare for the coming season," said Richt in a statement. "Our total focus will be directed toward the team and this effort."

Although the statement was brief, it didn't seem to leave room for Crowell to return.

According to the Athens Clarke County booking report, Crowell was arrested by Athens police at 3:37 a.m., at which time he was booked into the Athens Clarke County jail. The county's online jail booking report states Crowell bonded out at 12:44 p.m.

A police spokesman told UGASports that Crowell's arrest came following an early-morning stop at a police checkpoint on East Campus Road and Green Street on the Georgia campus. Four other individuals were in the car, but they were not arrested.

Two of the charges were felonies and the other was a misdemeanor and Crowell was originally booked on a $7,500 bond, which was raised to $9,500.

However, being dismissed from the Georgia football team might be the least of Crowell's problems. According to ESPN's Mark Schlabach, Crowell could face severe charges for his gun possession.

"Crowell facing 2-5 yrs on gun in school zone charge & 1-5 yrs on altered serial numbers, according to Georgia sentencing guidelines"

Because of potential jail time, it's hard to speculate where Crowell might try to restart his career. He rushed for 850 yards and five touchdowns in an injury-riddled first season with the Bulldogs.

But he also had trouble following the rules. He was suspended for the Vanderbilt game on Oct. 15 for unknown disciplinary reasons and again for the Nov. 5 game against New Mexico State for failing a drug test.

As of right now, this is an unfortunate end to what could have been a promising career.
    Making Steve Spurrier look like a prophet.....did not want to move SC's game against Georgia to later in the season because you could always count on them having a couple of players suspended for the first couple of games each year. :lol::lol:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    tybird wrote:
    imalive wrote:

(US Presswire)

Making Steve Spurrier look like a prophet.....did not want to move SC's game against Georgia to later in the season because you could always count on them having a couple of players suspended for the first couple of games each year. :lol::lol:

My buddies and I do a football trip every year and this year we are doing South Carolina and UGA. This should help the home team.

Out of the top 7 RB recruits last year now only 2 are with their original school.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    Seriously, all college players need specific training on how to not get arrested. This should happen in the summer, before fall camp. The first and main point is that you only break one law at a time. Smoking weed, no guns, pot in the car:drive the speed limit, have the need to have a gun in Athens, GA, leave it at home: punching someone: make sure you're not drunk and they are, Loud party:once you're drunk, leave. Again, the emphasis is on only one law violation at a time. Pass this along.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    norm wrote:
    Beginning with the 2014 regular season a four-team playoff will decide college football’s national champion, with participants chosen by a 15-member selection committee after the final week of play.

Rejoice! After months of hovering and circling, the 12 BCS commissioners and 12 university presidents of the presidential oversight committee have officially stamped the BCS with an expiration date — Jan. 8, 2014.

That’s the day after the final BCS National Championship Game, which, ironically, will be held in the Rose Bowl — the site of the bowl that has proven a major sticking point in the long history of playoff proposals and debate in college football.

In the BCS’s place, the commissioners and presidents have completed work on a four-team playoff system that will take place a little more than a week.

More to come, obviously.

The two semifinal games will be held at two of six first-tier bowls each year.

A non-traditional host will stage the national championship game, much like the BCS National Title game had no “bowl” affiliation. This title game, however, will be bided out year-to-year, as the Super Bowl is
    Now teams will just be whining that they should have been the 4th team in. Even with 8 teams there would be complaining. Imagine the 8th seed winning the playoff and being crowned national champion.
    #FHP
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    ComeToTX wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    imalive wrote:

(US Presswire)

My buddies and I do a football trip every year and this year we are doing South Carolina and UGA. This should help the home team.

Out of the top 7 RB recruits last year now only 2 are with their original school.

This guy was a problem from the beginning. This wasn't surprising to anybody who's watched his limited career with Georgia. He came to Georgia last year and had to be dragged to workouts, was suspended for the Vandy game last year b/c of an "unspecified team rules violation," and then was suspended four games later b/c he popped hot on a piss test. As a fan, expectations were curbed as soon as the work ethic thing hit the message boards.

There is no doubting Crowell's talent (850 yards, 4.6 YPC, played in only 7 of 12 games in just his freshman year) , but there is also no doubt about the guy's maturity level. The team is better off without him.

Georgia should be fine though. Depth at running back is ridiculous.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Horos wrote:
    Now teams will just be whining that they should have been the 4th team in. Even with 8 teams there would be complaining. Imagine the 8th seed winning the playoff and being crowned national champion.

Agreed. I was listening to ESPN yesterday and they were talking about how the 4 will eventually go to 8...eventually to 12. With so many teams playing in the country I think it's just too difficult to appease everyone.
    lets just go back to 10 bowl games and letting people vote for the champ
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    To me the logical thing would be the conference winners go to the playoffs...but then you have the seeding issues...the actual strengths of the conferences, etc. The actual bowl and playoff systems are all gimmicky to me anyhow. It's almost to me either take the objectivity or the sujectivity out of the decision for a national champ. You can't have it both.
  • BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
    It's almost time for some real football. No scandals, no playoff talk.... just good ol' Saturday football. The weekend of September 1st will be here soon!
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    edited August 2012
    :D
    Post edited by Stardog3.. on
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    at least the wolverines get to open against bama. better than losing to app st in an opener

of course i blindly think um can win
    edited August 2012
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    megatron wrote:
    at least the wolverines get to open against bama. better than losing to app st in an opener

of course i blindly think um can win

Ann Arbor is a whore.

#fact

we day tripped up there one sat because we were bored....i felt dirty when i entered the city limits
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    go blue
    edited August 2012
    Stardog3.. wrote:
    megatron wrote:
    go blue

:lol::lol:

81 -- Bri'onte Dunn's drug charges were dropped....totally going undefeated this season. :roll: :lol:

has Braxton learned to throw a decent ball yet? if he can throw it, offense should be good enough. defense needs some work tho. but at the end of the day...this year is all about beating michigan and getting players prepared for a run next year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    yea i know you guys are down so mich better win the conference this year...if they not i don't see it happening for a while. i live in florida. i know all about meyer. big 10 is fucked.
    edited August 2012
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Montee Ball attacked!!!! What the hell is up with that???

http://college-football.si.com/2012/08/ ... t=hp_t2_a4
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Stardog3.. wrote:

wtf is with all your edits :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg