Options

NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

lolobugg said:

While we are on the subject of History- check out these years of National Championships.
    1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015

RTR!!!

Almost as good as the Habs. :wink:
    Which is almost as good as the Yanks :wink:
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2016

lolobugg said:

While we are on the subject of History- check out these years of National Championships.
    1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015

RTR!!!

talking bout the best of the best teams in their respective leagues right here, folks.

no @Wobbie teams on these lists.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491

Wobbie said:

Wobbie said:

canes > gators > 'noles

owls > all of them

No. The Noles rule the state. Ball don't lie.
    I have no basis for this, but I believe Miami is probably a less rednecky school than the other two big programs.
    Can you please define the term Redneck?

This should be good.
    who do I look like? jeff foxworthy? the
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    EM194007 said:

Now you're just hating. 17-1 and we don't rule the state? Come on man.

Never said hate, but you'll never get me to say the noles rule FL though. Free Shoes University. :rofl:
    Now there's one I haven't heard in a while! :lol: At least you don't sound like a skipping record like everyone else with the crab leg crap.
  • Options

lolobugg said:

RTR!!!

Which is only half as good as Rangers FC. Mon eh 'gers!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Minnesota's football program is imploding in real time.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

EM194007 said:

Never said hate, but you'll never get me to say the noles rule FL though. Free Shoes University. :rofl:
    Now there's one I haven't heard in a while! :lol: At least you don't sound like a skipping record like everyone else with the crab leg crap.
    Just some razzing now. Remember the Bowden Counting System (BSC)? :wink: You have to have thick skin to live in this state, because at anytime you can be surrounded by fans of any of the top three teams. Seen some good (funny ones and ones that went to far with punches thrown) discussions in the past, that's for sure. :rofl:
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

EM194007 said:

Just some razzing now. Remember the Bowden Counting System (BSC)? :wink: You have to have thick skin to live in this state, because at anytime you can be surrounded by fans of any of the top three teams. Seen some good (funny ones and ones that went to far with punches thrown) discussions in the past, that's for sure. :rofl:
    Oh yeah, just good banter between rivals. I never quite understood the people who get into physical fights about it. Or even real verbal fights. Sure, toss some one-liners back and forth, but laugh at the end. One of my absolute best friends is a Gator fan. She went to Rollins but her best friend from high school went to UF. I always made it a point to wear an FSU t-shirt when I visited but none of us ever got nasty.
    I'm planning on coming down for FSU/Miami next season. No better rivalry in college football if you ask me! No matter how good or bad either team is, it's almost always a nail biter. Will you be there?
  • Options
    edited December 2016

EM194007 said:

EM194007 said:

Oh yeah, just good banter between rivals. I never quite understood the people who get into physical fights about it. Or even real verbal fights. Sure, toss some one-liners back and forth, but laugh at the end. One of my absolute best friends is a Gator fan. She went to Rollins but her best friend from high school went to UF. I always made it a point to wear an FSU t-shirt when I visited but none of us ever got nasty.
    I'm planning on coming down for FSU/Miami next season. No better rivalry in college football if you ask me! No matter how good or bad either team is, it's almost always a nail biter. Will you be there?
    The verbal ones are OK (depending if you know them or not), but when it resorts to hitting/fighting, then it's gone way to far. But, when alcohol is involved, they can turn south really bad quickly.

Out of the FL schools, I became a Canes fan back when I was 11, when my older brother took me to my first game at the Orange Bowl. Sure saw some great games in the Orange Bowl over the years. It was a sad day when they announced they wouldn't refresh and repair the Orange Bowl and it was being torn down for a Baseball stadium, which doesn't do well attendance wise. When the Canes made the move to the stadium the Dolphins play in, it really hurt them. A lot of people who were life long alumni fans won't go there. Can't blame them with the ticket prices and parking prices. Plus the Orange Bowl was more up and close type of stadium, Dolphins stadium is like your so far away.

I went this year to the Canes/FSU game, for the reason you stated, the rivalry. Those kids on the field for the most part played against each other since they were youngsters, and it's about the pride of winning the rivalry game. Either team could be doing crappy, but when that game comes around, expect the unexpected to happen. Just wish the people in Gainesville would get their head out of there ass and play the Canes every year as well.

Don't think I'll make the trip from S. FL to Tally for the game next year. I've been to Doak back in the 90's. Just isn't worth the time, money. and the 900 mile round trip drive to go to Tally for me. The 70 mile round trip ride down here isn't bad though.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,209
    so Minnesota players boycotting because of suspension of 10 players and threaten not to play the Bowl game. if they don't play pull their scholarships.
  • Options
    Those Noles/Canes games back in the late 80s and early 90s were something else - back when the Canes ruled the state. If FSU could've found some of the caliber of kickers back then that they've had in recent years, I feel the Noles would have a couple more trophies on the mantle. Those damn wide rights kept us out of it every year! Gerry Thomas, Dan Mowrey... those names forever ingrained in the back of my mind. Seemed liked we'd lose to Miami every year then go on to beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl and finish #2 or 3. :anguished:
    But the worst was - before "wide right" was ever in Seminole lore - the year we beat Miami but lost to Southern Miss, and Miami went on to win the title. Thus began my disdain for Brett Favre!
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    There's been a lot of Florida football talk lately. Fire these bowl games up already, we need this to stop. :lol:

Easy money, Washington State big. (Was easy money before Minnesota said "fuck it")
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

Those Noles/Canes games back in the late 80s and early 90s were something else - back when the Canes ruled the state. If FSU could've found some of the caliber of kickers back then that they've had in recent years, I feel the Noles would have a couple more trophies on the mantle. Those damn wide rights kept us out of it every year! Gerry Thomas, Dan Mowrey... those names forever ingrained in the back of my mind. Seemed liked we'd lose to Miami every year then go on to beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl and finish #2 or 3. :anguished:
    But the worst was - before "wide right" was ever in Seminole lore - the year we beat Miami but lost to Southern Miss, and Miami went on to win the title. Thus began my disdain for Brett Favre!

Yes, in the old days there were some damn good games. Those right wide right and left games hurt the noles, no doubt abot that. But you have to put the ball in between the goal post.

It was kind of fitting that the last Bowl game the two teams would ever play against each other, because of Miami moving to the ACC. Would be the Orange Bowl game in 2004 (to bad it wasn't in the real Orange Bowl though), and FSU suffered another wide right, as Xavier Beitia missed a 39-yard field-goal attempt that would have gave them the lead, and most likely the win. Won a cool $100 off that kick. :)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643

There's been a lot of Florida football talk lately. Fire these bowl games up already, we need this to stop. :lol:

Easy money, Washington State big. (Was easy money before Minnesota said "fuck it")

Agree - Cougs in a rout.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

One more day and the madness begins.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    pjhawks said:

so Minnesota players boycotting because of suspension of 10 players and threaten not to play the Bowl game. if they don't play pull their scholarships.

That's the pickle. If they do that they don't have a football team anymore and it will be impossible for a coach to recruit in the future if recruits know the nuclear option has been played. It's hard to pay for that shiny new stadium without a competitive team. As a Purdue fan, I know what happens to attendance when you put a shit product out on the field over time.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Fournette isn't playing in the Bowl game so he can focus on turning pro.

Smart move or selfish act?

I this will be the norm for big time players sooner than later.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

he is just happy he won't have to play the Tide again.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    EM194007 said:

Yes, in the old days there were some damn good games. Those right wide right and left games hurt the noles, no doubt abot that. But you have to put the ball in between the goal post.

It was kind of fitting that the last Bowl game the two teams would ever play against each other, because of Miami moving to the ACC. Would be the Orange Bowl game in 2004 (to bad it wasn't in the real Orange Bowl though), and FSU suffered another wide right, as Xavier Beitia missed a 39-yard field-goal attempt that would have gave them the lead, and most likely the win. Won a cool $100 off that kick. :)
    Wide Right III. I try to block out the last few Bowden years. Dismal times to be a Noles fan.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

Smart. Unless it's a playoff game, these bowl games are absolutely meaningless. Plus he has been nursing an ankle injury for much of the season. Get himself healthy for the combine and draft.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110

Both. The 2 options you give aren't mutually exclusive. Given that he's missed games due to injury, I can't blame him for trying to protect his pro career, especially with the short shelf-life most running backs have now.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643

Smart move, I think.
    Months of extra training time to train for the stupid combine so he can jump high and balance on his toes while reciting the alphabet backward. Really, the combine is crazy.
    Would make me upset if it were a player on USC but I totally understand why he would do it given the way things have gone for him.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Let us not forget Willis McGahee's knee in the 02 Fiesta Bowl.
  • Options

Let us not forget Willis McGahee's knee in the 02 Fiesta Bowl.

Remember where I was watching that game and everyone's reaction
  • Options

Smart move, I think.
    Months of extra training time to train for the stupid combine so he can jump high and balance on his toes while reciting the alphabet backward. Really, the combine is crazy.
    Would make me upset if it were a player on USC but I totally understand why he would do it given the way things have gone for him.
    I bet we are going to start seeing more players sit out their 3rd year to not get hurt.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,209
    Jason P said:

pjhawks said:

That's the pickle. If they do that they don't have a football team anymore and it will be impossible for a coach to recruit in the future if recruits know the nuclear option has been played. It's hard to pay for that shiny new stadium without a competitive team. As a Purdue fan, I know what happens to attendance when you put a shit product out on the field over time.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    true but you can't let the inmates run the asylum either. you cannot under any circumstances let them skip a bowl game. i imagine if/when the threat of no scholarship is real the players would end up playing.
  • Options
    Fournette not playing is the smartest thing he could do. A meaningless bowl game is not going to improve his draft position. And it certainly is not worth blowing out a knee. Good for you bud. Best of luck in the draft
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Donnel Pumphrey, bitches!

"3 star recruit"

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Major Applewhite era opening with a thud :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie,

You going with Memphis or WKU "Big Red" image tonight?