Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Witcher 3 is probably the best game I ever played. The graphics are insane, the enemies are awesome, the physics are great... there is replayality, and the story is amazing... even the side/peripheral stories. I was really invested in the characters and decisions you make have big impact right down the line of what happens. It was a good challenge too.
    It is open world, which is a huge plus for me.

But 'out of the box' it was challenging. Quite a few cut scenes early, you would have to go to this castle and more cut scenes. Plus when your character is weak, you really don't want to stray off the beaten path or certain death. Due to the massive scope of the game and a lot of the exploration, crafting potions, making weapons, etc the game is a time commitment. But its an amazing experience and worth it.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    They had Witcher for sale on PSN for $20 during their holiday sale and I didn't buy it ... which was dumb ... but I still got a whole lot of Fallout left
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Jason P said:

They had Witcher for sale on PSN for $20 during their holiday sale and I didn't buy it ... which was dumb ... but I still got a whole lot of Fallout left

Yeah, I've been playing Fallout on and off since it came out. I think i'm maybe level 31-32 now and still haven't played a ton of the main quests.
    It's a great game, no doubt, but I do have some issues.
    The game is just too easy. I'm on the normal (default) setting and I think i've died maybe 3 times total. Those deaths were pretty random too. Random grenade lands next to me, discovering the suicidal nuke super mutant....boom! and falling off an overpass.
    In the past, it seemed far more of a struggle to survive. In my Santuary, I have like 5 Power suites and like 20 fusion cores. I never even wear them and my armor is stuff I picked up (no mods).
    I also have like 50+ Stimpaks...which I also rarely need to use. Seems like quality guns and health are everywhere.

My character buildout is based off of sneaking and sniping. With perks given to sneak and rifles, almost all enemies are one shot kills.
    I got trapped in a room with a Deathclaw recently (the first time I had to fight one)...and after I realized it couldn't escape very easily, I turned and fought it. Again, no real powerful armor and I had the thing dead and only used one Stimpak. In past games, anytime I came across a Deathclaw, I either ran like hell or if I tried to fight it, it would take some strategy (climbing a giant boulder, cliff, etc. where it couldn't get me and picking it off from a safe distance).
    I think I downed the one in the room with a combat shotgun with maybe 8-10 shots.

I also see no use for any of the meds/chems. Who needs to use them when the game is as easy as it is? I think I got addicted to alcohol once because I was trying to free up space so rather than dropping them, I drank em down! hahaha!

Again, good game, but I think they made it too easy, or perhaps made it more playable for the average player who may have not played Fallout before.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I agree a bit on the difficulty... Sort of. I have been killed a bit more, but I have it on the hardest difficulty. I really do not like though how you can throttle it up and down as you choose. It takes away from the experience in getting into a nearly inescapable pickle.
    I like when games have Trophies for winning on the hardest difficulty (and it unlocks the easier ones too if you get it).

I also wish they had a hardcore mode like on New Vegas where ammo had weight and you needed to eat, drink, (and sleep)

Im a fan... but the game disappoints me. The interface isnt great/smooth. The world doesnt seem to be as neatly packaged as Fallout 3. The conversations/choices are awful/laughable. I think it also hurts that I had just finished Witcher 3, a game that blows everything else out of the water.

Its a good game for sure. I like it. But I am having trouble motivating to play and move on. I remember Fallout 3 was all I wanted to do.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    I'm still at level 12 so it is no cakewalk yet in Fallout. But I'm also working on a sneak / snipe build and just got that good laser (Righteous Authority) rifle.

I was at level 15 but my house burned up and I wasn't using cloud saves. I also learned the upside of digital games is that you can download them again.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Jason P said:

I'm still at level 12 so it is no cakewalk yet in Fallout. But I'm also working on a sneak / snipe build and just got that good laser (Righteous Authority) rifle.

I was at level 15 but my house burned up and I wasn't using cloud saves. I also learned the upside of digital games is that you can download them again.

Holy shit, your house burned up? Glad you are ok. Haven't been able to get into Fallout 4 yet. For me the dialogue seems fairly generic and uninteresting. Haven't played it for more than a half hour at a time, maybe one of these times I will get into it.

Agree with Mayday that Witcher 3 is probably the best game I have ever played. I would give that honor to Metal Gear if the story wasn't so all over the place. They lost points for having you do variations of previous missions at the end, but that game was amazing as well. The free form mission style was great.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

You're house caught fire? Holy shit! Everyone and everything ok?
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Jason P said:

Everyone was OK but 99% of everything was lost. The value of the Beneroya LP will be going up as the limited edition count shrunk to 1999. It sucks big time but I still have all my fingers and toes.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited January 2016
    Jason P said:

mca47 said:

Jason P said:

Everyone was OK but 99% of everything was lost. The value of the Beneroya LP will be going up as the limited edition count shrunk to 1999. It sucks big time but I still have all my fingers and toes.
    Wow. What caused the fire?
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options

Jason P said:

mca47 said:

Jason P said:

An electrical fire started at my TV console. I think it was either my PS4 or my WiiU since they stay powered on. The F.D. couldn't establish the root cause but stated that the fire started there. I got home from work and the place was on fire, but it had probably been smoldering for a while before igniting.

Make sure you power down your gaming systems completely when done. You can shut the PS4 down but the WiiU will start up randomly when you are gone.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Sorry to hear that Jason, that sucks. Glad everyone is ok.
    Turning my Xbox to power saving mode as soon as I get home!
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

mca47 said:

Jason P said:

An electrical fire started at my TV console. I think it was either my PS4 or my WiiU since they stay powered on. The F.D. couldn't establish the root cause but stated that the fire started there. I got home from work and the place was on fire, but it had probably been smoldering for a while before igniting.

Make sure you power down your gaming systems completely when done. You can shut the PS4 down but the WiiU will start up randomly when you are gone.
    Wow! That's crazy! Did insurance cover everything?
    I turn off all my systems when I'm done. I don't trust electronics to stay on, especially if i'm not around.
  • Options
    yeah, me too. I always power down. Especially since the past issues of the 360 melting its soldering and getting the rings of death
  • Options
    Yeah, I figure anything slapped together in China where they are making 20 cents per hour...should probably get turned off when you're not using it.
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    So I'm having problems with my xbox one. Fallout is the only game to load, the others kick you back to the dashboard after 10-15 seconds. Anybody have this issue before?
  • Options

So I'm having problems with my xbox one. Fallout is the only game to load, the others kick you back to the dashboard after 10-15 seconds. Anybody have this issue before?

I don't have a Xbox but a buddy does and had that problem. I guess you need to do a hard reset of the system. Either hold down the power button for 10 seconds or unplug it from the power supply. Apparently the RAM doesn't get reset if you turn the system off via the controller or put it in standby. When it "wakes up" it's still allocating the RAM to what was using it before as opposed to redirecting it to the game.
    Try that and see if it works. My buddy does a hard restart of his system every week or two, or if loads fail back to the main screen. That's often after he's watching or streaming a show/movie or has opened a lot of apps recently.
  • Options

I have not had that specific problem, but whenever I have had any issues a couple things have always worked.

1- if you have your power settings on "always on" the xbox never completely shutsdown. After a couple weeks of that, I had some slowdown and lag. Turned it to energy saving mode and I don't have that issue anymore. The drawbacks are it won't update games when turned off and it takes a minute to boot up when turned on. Also eliminates the ability to turn on using voice commands with the kinect.

2- If you hold down the power icon for ten seconds on the xbox while on, it will do a hard reset that clears the cache. Wait a minute for the power source to reset and then fire it back up as normal. This will also cause a longer boot screen one time afterwards. That is normal.
  • Options
    Also be sure to press the menu (start) button while over the tiles of apps and games you have recently used. If there is an option that says "quit", the app is still running in the background. Use that to shut it down.
  • Options
    thanks....i'll try these out tonight. I did do the hard reset yesterday and that didn't seem to fix anything but i'll try it again
  • Options

Minecraft is the only game I have that has done this on a few occasions. It usually works fine the second time I load it.
  • Options

thanks....i'll try these out tonight. I did do the hard reset yesterday and that didn't seem to fix anything but i'll try it again

Did you get it working? I did a google search and it seems like a lot of people have had it happen but the hard reset seems to be the most popular fix.
    I hate it when shit doesn't work!
    I had a problem with Bloodborne when I first got it. The damn PS4 would download the update/patch/whatever as the game was being installed. The update would download and install before the game would. Then the game wouldn't load as it was trying to load from the update or some shit. Annoying as hell! I found a work-around on the internet, but if someone just wanted to pop in the game and play and not do a search online, they'd have a $65 coaster.
    That was the only time that happened, but it pissed me off!
  • Options
    So I tried everything listed and nothing worked....then was talking with Microsoft for 2+ hours to two different people (the first one dropped me after a hour of troubleshooting). They both said it must be a problem with the discs and to take them to the place I bought them and ask them to replace the discs. This makes zero sense to me, and what company would just exchange games 1+ year old for free, if they even carry them anymore. What was really weird was that my 3 sports games didn't work, but my other 3 games worked fine.

So on my own I noticed a button that restores everything back to factory default....I did this and installed one of the games that wasn't working, and bam....works fine (tried uninstalling/reinstalling game before and that didn't work, so something with the factory default setting helped it). Now i just have to reinstall everything. Annoying, but at least one game works again. Microsoft doesn't know their own system and the employees I talked to don't know how to fix issues. Such a waste of time.
  • Options
    You should call them back and tell them how to fix it :)
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sonic is bullshit. A game designed to go fast and collect rings is fun, until you run into a spike and LOSE EVERY FUCKING RING YOU HAVE!!!
    Bullshit.
    Take half my rings, take all but a few, don't take all my damn rings.
    Bullshit.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    LetsGoMteersLetsGoMteers New Bern, NC Posts: 157
    Play Xbox One. A lot of COD, Battlefront, and Fallout right now. Really looking forward to The Division
    2016 Columbia, SC
  • Options
    Did you get into the Division Beta? I just got my invite and installation done last night but haven't tried it.
  • Options
    Which is irrelevant since there's a public beta coming....
  • Options
    LetsGoMteersLetsGoMteers New Bern, NC Posts: 157
    Rygar said:

Did you get into the Division Beta? I just got my invite and installation done last night but haven't tried it.

Yes I played the beta. It was solid. Think it's really gonna be a great game
    2016 Columbia, SC
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    Level 60 halo :sunglasses:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2