Options

*** Belfast Fanviews Here 6/23/10 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,952
edited January 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
June 23, 2010 Belfast, Northern Ireland, Odyssey Arena

Set List: Sometimes, Do The Evolution, Animal, The Fixer, Tremor Christ, Low Light, Even Flow, Unthought Known, No Way, Insignificance, Present Tense, Daughter/The Real Me (Townshend), Got Some, Save You, Given To Fly, Black, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: Just Breathe, Amongst The Waves (played for newly married couple), State Of Love And Trust, Wasted Reprise, Better Man/Save It For Later (Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)

2nd encore: Happy Birthday Brendan O’Brien, Jeremy, Leash, Crazy Mary (Williams), Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JaymacJaymac Posts: 513
    Great night, the setlist was amazing. Despite living an hour up the road it was my first time at a gig in the Odyssey and thought it was a good venue..

Tremor Christ was one of a few rare treats and Sometimes was a great opener.. Topped Dublin yesterday for me.
    23/08/2006 - Dublin; 29/08/2006 - Arnhem; 30/08/2006 - Antwerp; 18/06/2007 - London; 18/08/2009 - London<br>

Proud member of the European Touring Bus 2006!
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    I'm now the proud owner of one of jeff aments sweaty wristbands - nice haha ;)

Great show and thanks to all the fans for being so chatty - great night!
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    belfast1 wrote:

sweet!!! :shock: Im jealous!!
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    belfast1 wrote:

sweat!!! :shock: Im jealous!!

corrected :P
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    rb115565rb115565 Posts: 222
    Its great when they open with Sometimes, Good idea to use the Real Me as a tag
    5/30/03 9/2/05 9/4/05 9/5/05 7/22/06 7/23/06 9/21/09 9/22/09 9/21/11 9/22/11
  • Options
    belfast1 wrote:

sweat!!! :shock: Im jealous!!

corrected :P

:lol::lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    Pearl DrummerPearl Drummer Posts: 4,617
    What a killer setlist
    very jealous !!
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Epic Setlist, topped Dublin by a country mile for me. Really enjoyed it - had lots of space to dance too as it wasn't sold out. Now I'm off to bed. Bloody knackered so I am.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    Brilliant. 15 songs not played in Dublin, set flowed beautifully. No Way and Tremor Christ were superb, SOLAT, Jeremy, RVM and Alive tore the place apart, and the audience were superb for Black.

Poster is excellent. We got two cracking gigs back to back. Only wish I was seeing more.
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    belfast1 wrote:

sweet!!! :shock: Im jealous!!
    Same!...;)
  • Options
    stankratzstankratz Posts: 183
    Just home, wow! This was my 8th show (Dub06-10, London-Nijmegan07, Bonnaroo, Va Beach, MSG 2 08). The reason I list them all is because I'm feeling Belfast 10 was the greatest of them. Set-wise anyway, and 'Roo is tough to beat. Somehow I thought coming up to the tour that Belfast would be the 'dark horse' of the bunch. Not sure how it can be topped. I was 3-4th row-ish McCready's side, for the 2nd night running. This man can never die!!!

Yes Dublin was great, but for me tonight up North was a different level completely. Crowd were not as hot as Dublin maybe, I do not envy the peeps who were seated at the back of the arena. But someone please post who sat back there and tell me they had a killer time!

The sound was top notch, kudos to the engineer, but I imagine he could do it in his sleep at this stage! I earn some of my living from doing sound work, i'd kill to mix even the guys playing a medley of Right Said Fred covers! But if I could have such a wish I guess I may go the whole hog and wish to jam alongside Mike!!

Random things I remember:

Ed mentioned 'no jumping from the balcony, that's my job!' Obviously in reference to the loo-la who got bored of using exits in Dublin last night.

Ed told us a "love story" while Boom played the Wasted Reprise underneath. Turned out to be his own love story, said his lady has an Irish name, but he hopes to change it pretty soon. Lovely moment. The guy is so happy!!

Black was (insert worn hyperbole here) just as usual. This really is the greatest song ever written. Lost the run of myself in the solo, but for the first time in my life they were tears of happiness. Odd moment for that to happen I know and I can't really explain it, not in a nutshell anyway so we'll move on.

The Brendan O'Brien bday bit was unreal! They came out for the 2nd encore with some stage hands and Ed asked would we do the band a huge favour, "this will go down as part of our history". Said they would pay us back. Mentioned B.O.B. and the crowd flipped (This guy has worked with so many of my fav bands, and obviously a shit ton of other people's as well!). I could describe it scene by scene here but I'm sure (and I hope) it'll be viral soon.

And then pay us back they did, as Jeff eased into Jeremy with the sickest and sexiest bass sound i've ever heard in a live environment. Epic Jeremy, seems not as relaxed as the version they were playing in the mid 00s. Full aggression and full dose of weapons grade strength. My neck and vocal chords will suffer tomorrow and fuck them, it was worth it!

Rocking out while Mike was melting faces towards the end of Alive, Ed noticed 2 girls making out and exposing some nice boobies and was laughing and looking over for at least 30 seconds, culminating in a "I see you making out" acknowledgment, fair play to him! And to them too of course, as they were 20 feet to my extreme left in an elevated place 8-) Maybe in another time a stage hand would have been sent up to request their presence in the green room!

I am loving how much Ed is referring to Mike as Mike McFuckin Cready now! Mike threw a few bars of the U2 I Will Follow riff into the Ledbetter outro. The guys didn't wanna leave the stage. Most of them hugged, Ed dragged them all in for a group bow. So fucking great to see the greatest band in the universe (except for 'Zod and the Legal Aliens' of Zygon 4) getting along and loving what they do.

I met so many cool people tonight, the front rows of a PJ show are as culturally varied as a UN summit and that is part of the fun. 'Rock on' to Patricia of Portugal, Rick of NY, and their companion who is too cool for me to insult by even trying to spell his name here. Same to Ben and Katey of the U.K. I hope you have a blast in London! Also 'peace' to Danny, after our initial minor 'altercation' during the 1st break.

Just on the off chance anyone in the entire PJ live crew sees this, thank you deeply for every moment, if I say anymore we'll have a novel here.

Peace and 'rock on' to all,
    Roll on Berlin
    Chris
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    Very cool post Chris - was fun to read through. Wish I could see them overseas someday.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    stankratz wrote:
    Ed told us a "love story" while Boom played the Wasted Reprise underneath. Turned out to be his own love story, said his lady has an Irish name, but he hopes to change it pretty soon. Lovely moment. The guy is so happy!!
    Chris

It was my grandmothers maiden name.

I wonder if this makes Ed a distant inlaw??? :D

How did the real me as a tag for daughter go?
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Stypo420Stypo420 Posts: 519
    stankratz wrote:

Chris

Very cool thanks for sharing that
  • Options
    NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    Sounds like an awsome show, Ireleand...wish this Irish NJ couldda been there,..but I did had Hartford!! Tremor Christ! How do you compete with that!! and I've always wanted to see BLACK live, alas perhaps next time 'round. Cheers to ya & a great set!
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 554
    greetings from Dublin airport...4 hrs time to kill ahead :mrgreen: ...both shows were awesome...!!! YAY!!!
    # 2000: Hamburg # 2006: Berlin # 2007: Munich * Dusseldorf # 2009: Berlin * Manchester * London # 2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin # 2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen # 2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2 # EV 2017: Berlin ____  * 2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin # 2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II
  • Options
    alesekalesek Posts: 809
    epic. Belfast toping Dublin for me as well. Love you all people that i met yesterday and on the train and in the city... Wish i put down the names... im the czech guy, guess not many around. Pm me to stay in touch. This is so alll crazy... Cant wait for berlin.
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • Options
    Can't belive it's all over- two nites of pure heaven! Don't think I'll be able to talk for about a week!! Think I'm gonna sleep for week too!! Amazing ... Thanks ed , jeff , matt , stone, mike and boom you made my life!! Peace and enjoy the rest of the tour everyone.

a
  • Options
    DonegalJamDonegalJam Posts: 17
    Dublin was excellent, but Belfast was just epic (due to the fact i got 2nd row i think!) both set lists were amazing..
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    WOW! That was awesome!!! Dublin was good but not one of their best in my opinion (having seen all their Irish dates) but Belfast was another level. We drove up from Dublin and chatted to a few nice people in the queue for our tickets at 3 (hi to the girl from Manchester / Germany). After that we wandered round back to check out the tour buses and chance our arm at MAYBE seeing the guys.

The roadie (Andy?) came in a gave us some plecs which was nice as he didn't have to and as luck would have it 30 mins later the blacked out silver Mercedes van pulled in. I think there were about 10 of us there so it was nice and chilled (Dubs, few lads from Donegal and Belfast and some Italians). Like a lot of people around the world I've waited my life to meet the guys and simply thank them. So the doors opened and Mike came straight over and as usual was the nicest guy in the world. He really puts in so much effort with fans, its absolutely fantastic. Stone went straight inside but Matt shook our hands as did Jeff. Eddie was a little reluctant but he came over and shook our hands and myself and my buddy Johnny got to thank them all for the last 20 years. So on a personal level it was the best possible start to the day. The 2 of us were transformed back to our youth as we left with huge smiles and feeling it was gonna be a cracking day and night.

And it was. Other posts here describe the set better than I could but suffice to say that is definately up there for me. Belfast fucking rocked from start to finish and everyone had a blast. Quick hi to the girls from USA who were second from front and survived and the Argentina girl too. All great people, all stayed safe.

See you on the other side,

Mango / Mark
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    iamcolbiamcolb Posts: 11
    edited June 2010
    Great great gig - amazing sing-along fun down at the front - some shots I managed to scramble, still not sure how!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mudandgears/sets/72157624221126909/

I've added a quick review of the night here:-
    http://www.mudandgears.com/2010/06/birthdays-weddings-pearl-jam-bar.html
    Post edited by iamcolb on
    keep turning crank!
    http://onarope.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,571
    Belfast topped Dublin for me too. I guess it didn't hurt that we were on pjs guest list for the show. We were a group of people sitting in a side room with a fridge filled with beer and finger foods. Met Ed, Mike, Stone and Matt as they can for a chat before and after the show. Nice experience, wish I brought something for them to sign, but it will have to wait for another day.

Highlight for me was no way, which had a nice jam in the end. Rearviewmirror is always a winner and so is leash! Given to fly is also always a great crowd pleaser! Great show!

One more for me, London. Cannot wait!!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    What a couple of days!!! Both Ireland gigs were AWESOME!!!

Mike is legendary for many reasons, but its great how he gets to know people's faces and regonises them in the crowds - even when they're way up in the 10c seats!!!!

Got to say a quick thank you to Eddie after the Belfast show for the Joe Strummer tribute in Dublin - he was in a bit of a rush so just got to say a quick thank you (which he seemed genuinely pleased about) and shake his hand (which was notably soft :lol: ).

Ah, roll on Berlin!!!!!

Hello to everyone we saw in Ireland - hope you all enjoyed it as much as us!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    AW142301AW142301 Vienna, Austria Posts: 4
    Hi

Both shows were great. From my point of view, Belfast had the better setlist but Dublin was even more magic (and hotter).
    Anyway they played RVM, and THAT is for me the highlight of the two days.

Some images from Belfast:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/51439761@N ... 221453963/

Brendan Special
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mhvyGtYozs

albert
    vienna
    austria
  • Options
    junapjunap Posts: 1
    A fantastic experience - it's been 14 years since my last PJ show (Dublin on No Code tour!), so I had some catching up to do. Absolutely loved it from start to finish. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    chidoonechidoone Posts: 327
    Another great gig !! Highlights for me Tremor Christ, No Way, Present Tense, Black, RVM, SOLT,Jeremy even if everything was just great...Given to Fly is getting better and better

Great experience and now can't wait for tomorrow at Hyde Park.

Thanks Pearl Jam and all the people that I met yesterday.

Keep on Rocking
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    GA ticket entry is fucking lame!

Great to hear Tremor, Once and No Way!!
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Great setlist! Unfortunately couldn't see anything for all the tall mofos, they all came out for this gig! So had to move back a bit and lost some of that crowd energy but overall great gig!
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Myself and my brother got 1st row on barrier to the right side, great view across the stage. Sound was best ive heard at any PJ show....a very bass-heavy mix for part of the main set, especially during No Way & Save You, was delighted with that!

Met so many nice people where I was standing too, made it a great day. Amazing setlist, crowd were in good mood, plenty of room to stand even though I was in the first row, venue wasnt too hot, merch was cheaper than in Dublin....what more could a guy want? The lighters/phones were out in force for BO'B birthday song, it looked fantastic.

Was knackered on the drive home though!

Hearing Black is always an experience, i hadnt heard it for 3 years........another incredible PJ experience all round.
  • Options
    manclassmanclass Posts: 50
    Wow and then some - set list was awesome, played everything I hoped for Betterman/Black/Alive/Evenflow/Daughter/Jeremy/Given to Fly just for starters and I didn't stop bouncing all night.

The people stood next to us (4th row from front about a third down the left) went early which meant I could fully rock out to the Encore's (they didn't seem happy at standing but come on it's PJ!?)

It didn't blow my mind the same way as MEN last year in terms of the atmosphere but the set list killed it!

Was even worth getting up at 5am to get back home :shock: on 4hrs sleep and feeling slightly fragile. Too early to tell if the whiplash and agony will last as long this time but have stocked up on painkillers especially ;) .

Thought it was so sweet when he dedicated a song to the newly married couple who held their reception at the gig. My hubbie looked gutted that we hadn't thought of it :lol: