Options

***ZiggyStar's Holy Grail has Arrived!!!!!!!***

Comments

• Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    There was no requirement for donating in my earlier thread. It was just to get a list of everyone in the same place so people could nominate who they wanted.

If you would like to donate a few bucks for Ziggy to get her item, that's great. If you don't feel like donating a few bucks, or your current situation dictates otherwise, that's fine too. Nowhere did it say people must donate a few bucks.

It is sad that somehow there has been poop thrown all over this cause, but it's all good. Next time we do something like this, we'll try something different.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    You and Lukin Fan did a wonderful thing...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Man, this thread is full of Debbie Downers

debbie-downer.jpg
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    im a little angry cos some fucked Ziggy's joy of winning...but negativity will not ruin this great idea..
    as i said im in..if not alot friend donate and there is not enough money to buy RAPID CITY 98 POSTER - ITW LP - BENNY LP then ill sent her my ITW lp with the any cash Roger collect..if this fucked up and noone donate,ill sent it for free,,cos worth it and she deserve it!!!and the main reason is WHY she want one of those items..and im in the position to know why she ask on of those for her holy grail...
    NO FUCKERS..YOU ARE NOT GONNA WIN..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    im a little angry cos some fucked Ziggy's joy of winning...but negativity will not ruin this great idea..
    as i said im in..if not alot friend donate and there is not enough money to buy RAPID CITY 98 POSTER - ITW LP - BENNY LP then ill sent her my ITW lp with the any cash Roger collect..if this fucked up and noone donate,ill sent it for free,,cos worth it and she deserve it!!!and the main reason is WHY she want one of those items..and im in the position to know why she ask on of those for her holy grail...

See Dimitris, this is why you rock!

You got a heart of gold kid. Good karma coming your way.

• Options
    That's why you are the fuckin man Dimitris! I don't think it will come to that, but thank you for saying that.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    the first time it was asked and where some of the names came from was just a generic question, what is your holy grail. It had nothing to do with putting your name in a hat to be in the running to actually get it.

I don't think shep (or anyone else) is counting the first holy grail list. They're counting the list that was collected in the thread whose purpose was clearly to enter into this lottery/popularity contest. I, personally, think it's a little shameful to put your name on that list and *not* contribute if you don't win. It's like someone else said: people are great with getting, but not so much with giving.

Personally, I feel if you have no intention of ponying up $5-20 for this cause, you have no right putting your name in the hat in the hopes that everyone's gonna pony up for you. This here isn't a charity, it's a luxury. I say it's well outside the spirit of this activity to try for free shit, then just walk away when you don't win. Besides, it's not like you get your money back for the raffleticket you bought at the VFW when you don't get the XBox.
    Also, I bet a lot of people didn't vote for who gets it. Is it fair to ask those people who didn't even vote for a donation?

Nope... I say voting is free. Becoming a contestant: that's not free.
    For the next round (if it happens again), the fairest way to do it would be to have a list of people donating to the cause, then assign each person a number and randomly pick one number from that group who is the lucky winner, more of a lottery than a popularity contest. if you donate more, you get more than one number, increasing your odds of winning your holy grail. ie. $10 = 1 #, $20 = 2#'s, etc....

Almost...

Yes, this was a popularity contest, and I don't think it was by accident. I think the stated purpose was to reward the most highly respected denizens of our little community for being good people. In that regard, I think the voting process perfectly fit the intent. It's not like they pull names out of a hat for Nobel Peace Prize, Humanitarian of the Year, etc. I thought it was pretty clear from the get-go that this was a popularity contest, and I'm ok with that. Good karma deserves good karma in return.

Now making this a random lottery... that's ok, too... but that changes the whole spirit. On one hand, you might lose donations to the cause b/c people don't feel strongly about probability as they do about how someone has helped them here or treated people. On the other, you might get more b/c more people who otherwise wouldn't care if Ziggy or Dimitris or Fenway or Cran ever got their grails might think they can get theirs...

Worth a shot. *shrugs* Loses it's umph tho. Seems like "My Coke Rewards" of Pearl Jam memorabilia, then. No longer about emphasizing community and more about emphasizing attention through the hope of free shit.

This is all coming from someone who doesn't post often, hasn't befriended many on the board, and is afraid of strangers so I don't know anyone from pre-gig meetups. I don't imagine I'd win any popularity contest around here. And that's fine.

PS: More $$$ = more chances in the hat... that just makes my heart sad.

[/self righteous rant]
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Clearly, because it is a popularity contest and unless you are popular, you didn't even have a shot at it.
  • Options
    Another thing people may not realize is that people will take note of the names of the people who donated. This is a close knit community who cares about each other. PLUS, the more people who are willing to donate, the amount everyone has to donate drops way down.

Be generous!
    So, all future winners would be based on whether or not you were on the donate list from before? Wow, this is getting crazier and crazier.

This is why all donations should be done quietly, anonymously, and without the intention of getting kudos for giving a donation.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Clearly, because it is a popularity contest and unless you are popular, you didn't even have a shot at it.
    Ziggy won.she is popular.she will get her Holy Grail.
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Ziggy won.she is popular.she will get her Holy Grail.
    It all feels like a High School clique to me. :clap:
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,834
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Another thing people may not realize is that people will take note of the names of the people who donated. This is a close knit community who cares about each other. PLUS, the more people who are willing to donate, the amount everyone has to donate drops way down.

Be generous!
    So, all future winners would be based on whether or not you were on the donate list from before? Wow, this is getting crazier and crazier.

This is why all donations should be done quietly, anonymously, and without the intention of getting kudos for giving a donation.

the last paragraph is a valid one.

Were all becoming Bonos :lol:
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    aNiMaL wrote:
    It all feels like a High School clique to me. :clap:

And so does the NCAA ranking system and Time Magazine Man of the Year... not everything has to be about probability. It was pretty clear from the get-go what the intent of this was... meant to reward those who give to the community in one way or another.

If you don't like it, you've already said your piece over and over. I'm pretty sure we get it. Now go protest the American Idol vote tallies or something.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,025
    Dimitris - you fuckin rock! But as FF said, it's not going to come to that - but you just offering - WOW! You fuckin rock!!!!

We'll get some more people - and if not, we'll make it work.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Wow...seriously guys?

I never thought in a million years LukinFan and I would be portrayed as the bad guys in all this.
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,659
    #1, I think it is absurd that something good like this has been tainted in the slightest bit by a couple of comments from some folks here.

Secondly...how dare you or anyone else call anyone out for not donating? NOT YOUR PLACE to tell people to "pony up". There was NOTHING ever stated that if you listed your grail that you had to donate. I think it shows little if no class at all to say "I donated, you should too". We dont know what everyones situation is or why they didnt donate, and who really cares. Why not just leave it alone, keep your $$ and donate it to a cause more worthy of your time and approval?? Why take away from LF and FF and Z for that matter?? This isnt the first or the last time this will be done here, but Ill tell you what, if this is the way its going to go, count me the fuck out! Why cant we just do something for the fun of it? Rules or no rules, right wrong or indifferent, flawed or not, the idea in principal is a great one isnt it? Or is it?

Look all,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stir up any fuss, I was just hoping to get some more people to pitch in. When I looked at the list I was genuinely disappointed that there were so few people on there, and I actually thought to myself I'll just have to donate a few more bucks to make sure we have enough.

I genuinely did not mean to imply if you tossed your name in the hat you should donate. At no point was that stated, and it was definitely not implied in anything set up by LukinFan or FF.

As for my opinions on everything else, I'll keep them to myself, because no matter what I say it's sure to piss off somebody.

Please just PM me when it is time to collect some cash. I didn't mean for this to happen, was just trying to generate some more support. Sorry.

Cheers,

shep
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Wow...seriously guys?

I never thought in a million years LukinFan and I would be portrayed as the bad guys in all this.

Far from it, brother.

No matter what you do on here someone is going to disagree. Keep up the good fight. Most of us in this thread back you up.

• Options
    youngster wrote:
    Wow...seriously guys?

Far from it, brother.

No matter what you do on here someone is going to disagree. Keep up the good fight. Most of us in this thread back you up.
    +1...
    sorry guys but i leave the thread ..final ticket confirmation for europe arrive...so im partying!!!! :D
  • Options
    Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    I'm in for a few bucks!
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Options
    final ticket confirmation for europe arrive...so im partying!!!! :D
    Dimitris is always positive - which is what this thread was intended to be about - so let's keep it positive!!!!! :mrgreen:

and updated...again...
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    aNiMaL wrote:

I really never looked at it that way...I didnt for one second think it was a popularity contest...guess I am naive in that respect..Hell, I didnt even vote...I just offered up some $$...Just figured we were doing a good thing...I see your point though animal, and respect your opinion, I really do, guess I was looking through rose colored glasses...:-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    You know, I entered my name in the draw for the holy grail. Never thought it was a popularity contest but didn't really think about who would vote for me either ;).. I felt it was a good idea to sign up to contribute because it does create a fun community feel. I support the reasoning behind gathering the masses to help each other out. I don't know Ziggy. I've read some of her postings so I recognized the name and her photo but I do not have an opinion of her or what she deserves... Last I checked though, it didn't matter. She won based on the criteria that was set out at the beginning of the "contest". I can't afford much. I decided to contribute regardless because it felt appropriate to contribute something if I was willing to drop my name in the bucket for consideration to begin with. That's just me. I hold no judgement on what anyone else has decided.

That said, I think those that want the contest to be ran differently need to realize that a contest is not owned by anyone. Want to create a contest with rules that only users with a name beginning with A can play? Go for it. Create your own contest with your own rules. There should be no hard feelings about having multiple contests.. It is a free society. We can have contests of every variety... People can choose to play based on the rules they like.

For whatever reason FenwayFaithful and LukinFan decided to do this, and for whatever reason people choose to contribute to the gift, and for whatever reason Ziggy won, I personally felt happy to see people coming together to do something nice for someone else.

That's all.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,494
    Ive sort of avoided this topic as I have mixed feelings about asking other board members for money-no matter the reason

but there is no need for negativity
    its a good idea
    if you want to help, great
    if not, thats also great

dont bug people for money

and dont bug Lukin and Fenway for trying to grant someone's wish-Im sure that part of this is Lukin paying it forward for the poster he received.
  • Options
    Just to lighten up the mood a little bit, please look at this picture of a baby that looks like Chris Farley:
    chris-farley-baby.jpg
  • Options
    0653_homer-eating-popcorn-small-c7873.JPG
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    Just to lighten up the mood a little bit, please look at this picture of a baby that looks like Chris Farley:
    chris-farley-baby.jpg
    wtf :lol:
  • Options
    I sure hope I didn't restart anything. I just finally got the opportunity to read all of the comments that came in today and... felt like saying my 2cents.

So.. :? . Nebraska is in the Big 10 now???... Wow.
  • Options
    I sure hope I didn't restart anything. I just finally got the opportunity to read all of the comments that came in today and... felt like saying my 2cents.

So.. :? . Nebraska is in the Big 10 now???... Wow.
    You didn't restart anything. I like your style DreamOfAngels. :D Keep on keepin' on in that Hoosier state my friend.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    ...guess I was looking through rose colored glasses...:-)

please Scottie take them off :lol:

1289481_f260.jpg
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    chris-farley-baby.jpg
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com