The Golf Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    88 today. That’s three out of the last five rounds in the 80’s for your Juggler. Back’s healthy and I’m playing the most consistently good golf of my life right now. Can’t wait to get out there again. The weather around here is great right now. 

Anyone else playing this weekend?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ I wish I was playing this weekend. It’s pretty much been raining in Chicago since Friday morning. It stopped yesterday but courses were still swamps. I haven’t touched a club in over 3 weeks with zero good reason. I need to change that real soon. Congrats on playing the best golf of your life. There’s no better feeling. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I wish I was playing this weekend. It’s pretty much been raining in Chicago since Friday morning. It stopped yesterday but courses were still swamps. I haven’t touched a club in over 3 weeks with zero good reason. I need to change that real soon. Congrats on playing the best golf of your life. There’s no better feeling. 

Brutal weather for golf this weekend.  Had a golf outing yesterday morning and we actually got 18 in.  Rained the first few holes and course was soaked but still fun to be out there.  Won the closest to the pin on a par 3.  160 yards and hit it to within 5 feet....prob my best shot of the year.
    Anyone in the Philly area, this week is the Crump Cup at Pine Valley.  They open the doors on Sunday to the public for the final match.  It is realistically your only chance to see the course. I have done it twice and it is absolutely glorious.  Not sure I am going to make it Sunday, but trying to. Highly highly recommended.  You park at Clementon Park for $20, hop on a school bus, stand around for a little while until the gates open, then get in right as they are about to tee off.  They say no phones, but you can sneak a photo or two here and there.  The pro shop is not open, though you shouldn't really be buying/wearing Pine Valley gear unless you play it (I have a hat from a neighbor who's son is a caddie there, but never really wear it).  It is an awesome walk. Highly highly recommended

A local guy is towards the top of the board after the first day too.
    Isn't that a Trump course?
    The Trump Course is real close and used to have a similar name before he bought it.  That's the one I am playing in a couple weeks.

Pine Valley is the number 1 rated course in the US and one of the best in the world.  It is amazing. 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/10258143/pine-valley-golf-club-tops-golf-digest-rankings-world-top-100-courses

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/americas-100-greatest-golf-courses-ranking

Oh that's right. Trump's is in Pine HILL. 

Yeah, that sounds right.  Pine Valley is everything it's cracked up to be. Sunday is a highly recommended experience.
    Talk about timing. I’m reading that Rick Reilly book about golf and Trump and came across this nugget just now:

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Rory being honest about the state of the game.  Good for him.   
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Played the trump course today. Hell of an experience. Locker room was bananas and walked in and had a locker with a nameplate with my name on it. Shot a 109. Not terrible, all things considered. 3rd round of the year. Tough fucking course too. Lots of cool shots, cool holes and some awesome views. A good day indeed.

Played the trump course today. Hell of an experience. Locker room was bananas and walked in and had a locker with a nameplate with my name on it. Shot a 109. Not terrible, all things considered. 3rd round of the year. Tough fucking course too. Lots of cool shots, cool holes and some awesome views. A good day indeed.

That's awesome.  He's a horrible person and president but all the Trump golf courses look beautiful.  

Had the day off work and was supposed to play but got rained out and went to Topgolf instead.  Hoping to sneak in another round or 2 this year but it isn't looking promising.

That's awesome.  He's a horrible person and president but all the Trump golf courses look beautiful.  

Had the day off work and was supposed to play but got rained out and went to Topgolf instead.  Hoping to sneak in another round or 2 this year but it isn't looking promising.
    Horrible person. I hate the fucking guy, but a round of golf with my CEO so not going to say no to that. I should also mention that we were given polos on the way out so now I have a shirt with trumps name on it. Not gonna ever wear that...

that stinks. Still never made it to top golf. The top golf god are against me. Have had plans to go about 5 times and something has always come up, an all night bender to the wife and daughter being deathly sick. I’m off a few days next week so going to get at least one more in. 
    You gotta burn that shirt Cliff
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Less than one week away from my 3 day national championship at Hilton Head Island,  SC. I've qualified the last 3 years but this is the first time I'm getting to make the trip.

It was a lot harder to get the logistics lined up when I was living in Fayetteville, Arkansas. But now that I'm in Jacksonville, FL it's a lot more feasible. 
    bflynn1 said:
    Less than one week away from my 3 day national championship at Hilton Head Island,  SC. I've qualified the last 3 years but this is the first time I'm getting to make the trip.

It was a lot harder to get the logistics lined up when I was living in Fayetteville, Arkansas. But now that I'm in Jacksonville, FL it's a lot more feasible. 
    Are you in the golf channel league or something? Always see ads about it
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    bflynn1 said:

Are you in the golf channel league or something? Always see ads about it
    The Golfweek Am Tour. It's basically the same thing as Golf Channel. I might switch to the Golf Channel one next year since I'm in Florida now and they have a lot more events than the Arkansas branch did.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Skins game tonight!   Four golfers with all the money in the world playing for more money.   Can't wait for The Players!
    Skins game tonight!   Four golfers with all the money in the world playing for more money.   Can't wait for The Players!
    Midnight Madness!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    LOL...I thought the same exact thing.  Let's watch all these super rich guys play a skins game for money!  Now if they were putting their own money up I'd be interested.
    Good to see Tiger looking healthy and all smiles.  Hopefully 2020 is his year.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Beautiful Monday after a shitty Sunday on Long Island... have a meeting in 20 minutes, then off to Bethpage to play either Blue or Red coarse

played their twice last week

love playing on slow business Monday’s, helps getting thru the week
    Fuuuckkkk

on 3rd hole

it's backed the fuck up
    gonna be 5 plus hour round
    LOL...I thought the same exact thing.  Let's watch all these super rich guys play a skins game for money!  Now if they were putting their own money up I'd be interested.
    I don't get this. It's not like players put up their own money back in the old days when Skins tournaments were played more often. At least I don't think they did. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I don’t think the money is all that much different in these skins games than 25 years ago even though there is inflation plus the crazy increase in golfer earnings.  Day winning $200k just isn’t that big a deal.  They don’t seem like they want to beat each other that badly.   I think Nicklaus wanted to beat Player, and wanted the money because it was a lot for them.
    I don’t think the money is all that much different in these skins games than 25 years ago even though there is inflation plus the crazy increase in golfer earnings.  Day winning $200k just isn’t that big a deal.  They don’t seem like they want to beat each other that badly.   I think Nicklaus wanted to beat Player, and wanted the money because it was a lot for them.
    I was thinking the same thing. Plus.....they're professional athletes. No other pro athletes put up their own money to play a game.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Plus they're each getting millions to show up so who cares about the $200k.  The old skins games were different.
    Plus they're each getting millions to show up so who cares about the $200k.  The old skins games were different.
    They weren't paid to show up in the 90's?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Made a 70ft put for par just off the green, crazy lucky but made me feel good after not playing too well yesteday

shot a 94.... my head was in work, getting calls n emails on the coarse sucks
    Was Fred Couples paid millions to show up in California, Hawaii or Arizona to play a skins game? No, he wasn't.
    Was Fred Couples paid millions to show up in California, Hawaii or Arizona to play a skins game? No, he wasn't.
    If Fred Couples played in those skins games in 2019, he would have been (and he would thank Tiger Woods profusely for it).

Was he paid at all, proportionate to what the money was back in those days, was my question.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    CROJAM95 said:
    Made a 70ft put for par just off the green, crazy lucky but made me feel good after not playing too well yesteday

That's awesome man
    chinese-happy.jpg
    If Fred Couples played in those skins games in 2019, he would have been (and he would thank Tiger Woods profusely for it).

Was he paid at all, proportionate to what the money was back in those days, was my question.
    I don't know that appearance fees existed until Tiger, so I agree with that point. I would assume expenses were probably covered but maybe that was it?  Honestly don't know, but I do know they weren't flown across the globe for a cash grab where they are making significantly less money from the golf than they are to just show up.

I guess the overall point is, yes, it is silly season golf now and it was silly season golf then...but it's just harder to get excited with the amount of money they are making just to show up and they don't really care.  $200k to Freddie was a lot more important than $200k to Tiger, and I agree with the point someone made that they wanted to just beat each other more then.  Things are a lot more friendly now.
    CROJAM95 said:

That's awesome man
    Had to break thru like 20ft 1st cut off the green, got the line and it just made it

decided to put it, my chipping was off