The Golf Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    Plus they're each getting millions to show up so who cares about the $200k.  The old skins games were different.
    They weren't paid to show up in the 90's?
    Was Fred Couples paid millions to show up in California, Hawaii or Arizona to play a skins game? No, he wasn't.
    If Fred Couples played in those skins games in 2019, he would have been (and he would thank Tiger Woods profusely for it).

Was he paid at all, proportionate to what the money was back in those days, was my question.
    I don't know that appearance fees existed until Tiger, so I agree with that point. I would assume expenses were probably covered but maybe that was it?  Honestly don't know, but I do know they weren't flown across the globe for a cash grab where they are making significantly less money from the golf than they are to just show up.

I guess the overall point is, yes, it is silly season golf now and it was silly season golf then...but it's just harder to get excited with the amount of money they are making just to show up and they don't really care.  $200k to Freddie was a lot more important than $200k to Tiger, and I agree with the point someone made that they wanted to just beat each other more then.  Things are a lot more friendly now.
    Yeah things are definitely more friendly and they're making more money these days. I just cannot fathom the idea of a professional athlete agreeing to put up their own money in any kind of event when they don't have to. Just don't see anyone in their right mind doing that, no matter how much they're worth.

So, with that said, I'd still rather have stuff like this in the "off season" than no golf at all (at least with the big name guys).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,460
    I did like seeing them play the one club challenge on one of the holes.  It was odd seeing them barely make the fairway with their tee shots.
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Made a 70ft put for par just off the green, crazy lucky but made me feel good after not playing too well yesteday

shot a 94.... my head was in work, getting calls n emails on the coarse sucks
    That's awesome man
    Had to break thru like 20ft 1st cut off the green, got the line and it just made it

decided to put it, my chipping was off

You asked yourself the question all us 10+ handicappers are supposed to ask, "Can I chip this closer to the hole than I can putt it?".   You had the correct answer.  Hell, I have putted out of a few sand traps before when the conditions are right because I suck out of the sand.
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Made a 70ft put for par just off the green, crazy lucky but made me feel good after not playing too well yesteday

shot a 94.... my head was in work, getting calls n emails on the coarse sucks
    That's awesome man
    Had to break thru like 20ft 1st cut off the green, got the line and it just made it

decided to put it, my chipping was off

You asked yourself the question all us 10+ handicappers are supposed to ask, "Can I chip this closer to the hole than I can putt it?".   You had the correct answer.  Hell, I have putted out of a few sand traps before when the conditions are right because I suck out of the sand.
    When in doubt, always putt in those situations. Good move Crojam!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    Plus they're each getting millions to show up so who cares about the $200k.  The old skins games were different.
    Was Fred Couples paid millions to show up in California, Hawaii or Arizona to play a skins game? No, he wasn't.
    If Fred Couples played in those skins games in 2019, he would have been (and he would thank Tiger Woods profusely for it).

Was he paid at all, proportionate to what the money was back in those days, was my question.
    I don't know that appearance fees existed until Tiger, so I agree with that point. I would assume expenses were probably covered but maybe that was it?  Honestly don't know, but I do know they weren't flown across the globe for a cash grab where they are making significantly less money from the golf than they are to just show up.

I guess the overall point is, yes, it is silly season golf now and it was silly season golf then...but it's just harder to get excited with the amount of money they are making just to show up and they don't really care.  $200k to Freddie was a lot more important than $200k to Tiger, and I agree with the point someone made that they wanted to just beat each other more then.  Things are a lot more friendly now.
    Yeah things are definitely more friendly and they're making more money these days. I just cannot fathom the idea of a professional athlete agreeing to put up their own money in any kind of event when they don't have to. Just don't see anyone in their right mind doing that, no matter how much they're worth.

So, with that said, I'd still rather have stuff like this in the "off season" than no golf at all (at least with the big name guys).
    Oh yeah I doubt that would ever happen.  I was just saying that it's prob the only way I'd watch something like that.  And for this thing the details really didn't matter since it started at midnight on a Sunday night which puts it at a 0% chance of me watching.

Oh yeah I doubt that would ever happen.  I was just saying that it's prob the only way I'd watch something like that.  And for this thing the details really didn't matter since it started at midnight on a Sunday night which puts it at a 0% chance of me watching.
    I saw a few minutes live but then have seen a few holes in the replays since. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I finished in 5th place out of 210 in my flight at my national championship this past weekend. My strategy of hitting iron off the tee like Tiger at Hoylake paid off. It was windy and I took 2 iron off the tee all weekend and was still 20-30 yards past the others in my groupings.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    bflynn1 said:
    I finished in 5th place out of 210 in my flight at my national championship this past weekend. My strategy of hitting iron off the tee like Tiger at Hoylake paid off. It was windy and I took 2 iron off the tee all weekend and was still 20-30 yards past the others in my groupings.
    Nice job!

Tiger started Bogey-Bogey-Bogey then proceeded to make 9 birdies over the next 15 holes for a 64 and share of the lead.
    Nice to see a good start from Tiger.  That usually meant a win for old Tiger.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,577
    Did not realize there was primetime golf on last night until I saw it on Twitter.  Will have to check in on it tonight
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Since when is there a golf tourney named after Led Zeppelin IV?

=)
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Threw it on after basketball last night. Yeah shaky start but he looks real good right now. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Postponed for tonight 
    eddiec said:
    bflynn1 said:
    Nice job!

Thanks! 
    In a lot of the golf stuff that I read, the trend over the past year or so has been that par doesn’t matter/is irrelevant. I always kinda got it but didnt really get it...then they turn this 10th hole into a 150 yard par 4 and I fucking love it 
    Tiger with another round of six under. 
    But Sam Snead isn't even in the conversation, so what does breaking some record of his from the 40s and 50s matter?

Not that they will sit and watch, but every word that will be written will have Jack and Tiger as 1 and 2, one way or the other. I think the 25% number is much more powerful and at this point I just don't see what winning some random dumb tournament matters anymore.  The Masters cemented him to me as the best golfer ever, winning the John Deere is completely irrelevant.
    It's just a numbers game. Everyone knows Tiger is a better golfer than Sam Sneed. But if you think Tiger doesn't care, even a little bit, about finishing second to him you're crazy. 
    If tiger ties the record by winning something called the zozo championship (albeit against some good players), in an 80 person field, played in Japan, in the middle of the night, during the silly season, with one of the rounds being played in front of no one and a 140 yard par 4 for at least one of the rounds, do you really anyone cares about the record? I can’t think of a less meaningful win. The zozo would be soooooooo much better for my argument that the John Deere
    But Sam Snead isn't even in the conversation, so what does breaking some record of his from the 40s and 50s matter?

Not that they will sit and watch, but every word that will be written will have Jack and Tiger as 1 and 2, one way or the other. I think the 25% number is much more powerful and at this point I just don't see what winning some random dumb tournament matters anymore.  The Masters cemented him to me as the best golfer ever, winning the John Deere is completely irrelevant.
    It's just a numbers game. Everyone knows Tiger is a better golfer than Sam Sneed. But if you think Tiger doesn't care, even a little bit, about finishing second to him you're crazy. 
    If tiger ties the record by winning something called the zozo championship (albeit against some good players), in an 80 person field, played in Japan, in the middle of the night, during the silly season, with one of the rounds being played in front of no one and a 140 yard par 4 for at least one of the rounds, do you really anyone cares about the record? I can’t think of a less meaningful win. The zozo would be soooooooo much better for my argument that the John Deere
    C'mon Cliffy, it all matters. If the Yankees had some record breaking season where they win, say, 140 games, nobody is going to say, but 40 of those were against teams that were 50 games under 500. 
    I haven't looked at all of Snead's wins, but I'm sure a bunch were meaningless tournaments, no?
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,683
    Here's to hoping!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    eddiec said:

C'mon Cliffy, it all matters. If the Yankees had some record breaking season where they win, say, 140 games, nobody is going to say, but 40 of those were against teams that were 50 games under 500. 
    I haven't looked at all of Snead's wins, but I'm sure a bunch were meaningless tournaments, no?
    But if they don’t win the World Series those 140 wins are irrelevant and they aren’t the best team ever. I think tiger is the best ever but there is only one number that matters to cement it and something called the zozo isn’t going to do anything 
    27 holes of golf tonight.  Tiger just hit a 30+ footer
    These crowds are much bigger than a us open 
    Strange that Japan has not yet hosted a PGA tour event.  
    eddiec said:

Yessir it matters. If it doesn’t, then let’s go ahead and breakdown all of Sam Sneads wins.

Tiger!!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Strange that Japan has not yet hosted a PGA tour event.  
    Judging by the crowds this week, this won’t be their last. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    eddiec said:

Yessir it matters. If it doesn’t, then let’s go ahead and breakdown all of Sam Sneads wins.

Tiger!!
    More ammo for my point. Someone broke down that sneads wins include 15 person fields, 6 person fields a tie that everyone was awarded a win, etc. listen, I like tiger too but this is just a number for fanboys to beat off too. It means zero.

edited October 2019
    The smoothest his swing has looked in a very very long time though, including the masters
    eddiec said:

Tiger!!
    More ammo for my point. Someone broke down that sneads wins include 15 person fields, 6 person fields a tie that everyone was awarded a win, etc. listen, I like tiger too but this is just a number for fanboys to beat off too. It means zero.

I have news for you. Years from now when people are debating who is better, Tiger or Jack. Absolutely nobody is going to give two shits that win number 82 came in Japan. It’s a win like all the others. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I have news for you. Anyone who uses 82 wins in a Jack vs tiger argument is losing the argument