*** Newark Fanviews Here 5/18/10 ***

Comments

• More_BarnMore_Barn Posts: 33
    sabreleaf wrote:
    Not every song needs jumping around. What, Pearl Jam needs a fan to jump and look like an asshole while they play every song. Some songs I just like to get in the zone like McCready does. Esp. with the set list tonight with Amongst The Waves, Immortality, In Hiding in a row. That is the best put your mind at ease and zone away set of songs ever. If you stand and don't move for the harder driving songs the whole night well thats another thing. Plus got to say, for a fan in their 40's(and not fat) going to this many shows in a week my legs hurt!!!

I can definitely relate to legs hurting and over 40! I think we need to keep that in mind for the band as well. They are traveling (which is hard on your body) and putting out a kick ass set everyday or every other day, which I think would be hard for the best of us.

I had a great time at the show!! Still singing Supersonic!! PJ ROCKS!!!
  • nycpj23nycpj23 Posts: 9
    Awesome show, Pj never disappoints. Sec 18 was fuckin rockin
  • pheiticeirapheiticeira Posts: 11
    I loved the songs, but the pacing was a bit off... I wish I head a few more upbeat rockin songs.

The biggest disappointment? The fucking people... I had ten club tickets, section 7, row 3... great seats really, however the crowd? Less than stellar. I saw small sections of people having a good time. Specifically I kept seeing a group of people in the section right next to Mike having a good time. Most people were standing still and text messaging. TEXT. MESSAGING. You're in my way of seeing the band AND you're not paying much attention to what is going on on stage. I hate to sound like I'm ranting or hating on anyone. We all paid our money. But I seriously wish I had won the lottery or perhaps gotten tickets to MSG (which I would have had I not planned a trip three months sooner).

I've read a few people saying not everyone needs to be jumping around and screaming during the show. Agreed. Absolutely. But act as though you fucking care. Look like you're enjoying yourself. Otherwise you're standing up, in the view of others who are looking forward to singing along and bouncing about. Not a nuisance who jumps onto people or screams in your ear, but having an authentic good time and feeling it.
    5/27/06, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/31/09 & 5/18/10
  • dirtyFrank222dirtyFrank222 Posts: 124
    I got my tickets yesterday from the PU site last minute sec 19 row 21 GREAT view for me and my wife.We had most of the row to ourselves. I agree every crowd can't be a Spectum crowd but most of last nights crowd were weak so many people around us were texting WTF! your at a concert. At one point ED said do you want us to leave.I thought that was funny. Great set list and energy after a killer Boston show.Thanks again PJ see you at MSG.
  • MikeSigMikeSig Posts: 74
    sabreleaf wrote:
    Not every song needs jumping around. What, Pearl Jam needs a fan to jump and look like an asshole while they play every song. Some songs I just like to get in the zone like McCready does. Esp. with the set list tonight with Amongst The Waves, Immortality, In Hiding in a row. That is the best put your mind at ease and zone away set of songs ever. If you stand and don't move for the harder driving songs the whole night well thats another thing. Plus got to say, for a fan in their 40's(and not fat) going to this many shows in a week my legs hurt!!!

Obviously, not every song needs jumping around, but even the mellow songs require some sort of crowd energy. It seemed like large portions of the crowd were just disconnected from the show. I do agree with others that it didn't hurt the show, though, as the band was still great, it just didn't help the show either.
  • pjwhorepjwhore Posts: 11
    nycrats wrote:
    oh yeah, heavily bearded grizzly adams looking dude in the front of section 17, you were going nuts all night, good job!

That dude was awesome-had great energy all night! To those that said crowd sucked, I feel the crowd was a little of a let down,but at the same time you don't have to be jumping up and down like me to enjoy the show. But if you win the lottery, it's your obligation to give 100% and sing and rock out harder then anyone else. I was 11th row center and my row was rocking out but the lottery rows in front of me were dead. Great show and setlist. Still can't believe I heard Indifference. Brain of J was amazing. Thanks PJ! Adding that show on was awesome for fans like myself that despite trying for hours, couldn't score MSG tickets.
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,768
    Fanviews of the show please. The music...the band. The show. :)

There's a thread about the crowd below the stickys.

x
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    DW254141 wrote:
    Amazing!! Won the lottery with my boy Needsi.
    Second row, center in front of Ed. He threw
    me his lighter during evenflow!!! Thanks Ed.
    Next stop, MSG 1. I love PJ!

D-Willy

Nice, I saw that , was wondering what he threw you. You were really rocking out, nice job!
  • Great show- Really diverse setlist with rarities we were hoping for. Was surprised how much this rocked on a cold dark rainy tuesday...We were side stage right as usual and has a blast. Crowd was going insane. Highlights for me were Of The Girl opener, Brain Of J, Brother!!!, Footsteps,Jersey Girl was an amazing treat and eddie blasted the crowd for yelling bruce cause its a waits song- hahaha. then everyone yelled boom. Whipping great, Inside Job and Life Wasted are fun to hear outside the context of the avocado tour. A friend of mine who was in a completely different section than us said everyone was sitting down- i think this was the other end of teh place..from where we were the whol arena was going nuts- I guess its where you are at? i have no idea- seemed like he was at a completely different show than us- could be a different dimention after all.. hahahahah. Awesome time. Thats 3 shows down for us, 2 to go- having a blast! Want to thank Pearl Jam for one hell of a ride!!! Cheers!
  • stolls589stolls589 Posts: 60
    Brother....wow....incredible live!!!
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Unique fuckin show! Still the best band on this planet.....
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    solat14 wrote:
    So much for the letdown.....Brother. :D

seriously!
    :mrgreen:
    had a GREAT time!
    also my first show of this tour.
    very varied setlist, i think it took the crowd a while to warm up to it, make sense of it...idk. i thoroughly enjoyed the show but will say, somehow, that the "flow" of the setlist was perhaps not at the usual level of pearl jam and that the crowd didn't get into it as much as they might've had the flow been stronger. just my opinion. the band was soooooo good, really on, think they all had a great time playing. and now all i can say is BRING ON MSG!!! 8-)

also, big, big, big thanks to a wonderful, long-time pj friend....was great to share a show with you, sorry you had *that guy*...aka drunk guy next to you all night......and you're 4th row center seats were pretty damn sweet. appreciate you sharing the love! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    I couldnt believe when Brother started in.
    I heard the lyrics and was like "whoa"
    do these people know whats happening?
    Then , I looked around. Most looked lost.
    This was the chatter / bathroom/ beer song
    where I was seated in Section 1, down low ,
    just over the floor and sound board.

Straight on view of the entire band, no cuttoff angles,
    alltho we were a little further back .
    ( still why no video screens ? I wanna see closeups of Mike & Stones fingerwork...)

I started off totally surprised with the " Of The Girl " opener .
    I also loved Insignicicance, In Hiding , Supersonic , .....> seguining right into Brother :shock: ,
    Footsteps and Whipping.

Well deserved day of rest for the boys before MSG 2 x .
    Its going to be nutty.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    Great setlist, my section (16) was great, but from that section you had a nice view of the floor and they were lame. Once was great, 15th show for me first time hearing it. The cat fight leaving the arena was also a highlight, it was epic!
  • UndyTakerUndyTaker Posts: 358
    Was it me, or was the sound bad? I was in Sec.17 on Mike's side, and it did not sound great. Like there was way too much treble or something. It was like the sound wasn't full enough. Like listening to a stereo through one speaker.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • elle74elle74 NJ Posts: 58
    marcos wrote:
    easily best setlist yet!

damn right. Jersey girl? the whole song or just a snippet? gotta hear this............

Whole song! And I can't believe most of the NEW JERSEYANS were not singing along and excited to hear it like I was!!! :roll:
    Shows: * Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24, 2000 * Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003 * PNC Bank Arts Center - Jul 14, 2003 * Continental Arena - Jun 01, 2006 * Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008 * Madison Square Garden - Jun 25, 2008 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 27, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 28, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 30, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 31, 2009 * The Prudential Center - May 18, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010 * Philadelphia, PA Made in America Sept 2, 2012 * Barclays Center - Oct 19, 2013 * Barclays Center - Oct 20, 2013
    EV Solo Shows: * NJPAC Newark, New Jersey - 08/07/2008 * Tower Theater Upper Darby, Pennsylvania - 06/12/2009 * Lyric Opera House, Baltimore, Maryland - 06/14/2009 * Beacon Theatre, New York, New York - 6/21/2011 * Beacon Theatre, New York, New York - 6/22/2011 * Tower Theater Upper Darby, Pennsylvania - 6/25/2011 *
  • Released1980Released1980 Posts: 1,790
    Great show. #19 since 1996. Loved- Of the Girl, Brain of J, Brother, Go, Inside Job. Have to say this was the best Footsteps, Once, and You Are I've ever seen. I fucking love You Are! Also great off the new album, Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known, and Supersonic (fucking love this song!) and the fucking Fixer! Yeah Yeah Yeah!
    Must say that after all the shit talking of Boston yesterday, I'm dead serious: I'll take Of the Girl, Brother, and Brain of J over Pilate, Bee Girl and Undone any day of the week! So enough of the pissing contest. Could the crowd have been better? Yeah, but I didn't come to see the crowd. I had a great fucking time, off to smoke a little and dream until Thursday. Thanks Pearl Jam! That was great! Now play some fucking Oceans before I lose my fucking mind.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Holy Shit I forgot Jersey Girl! fuck that was awesome too, thanks Pearl Jam!

EDIT: Holy Shit, Immortality was fucking great too! Jesus! Maybe I should smoke less!

I couldn't agree any more............. Fuckkkinnggg JERSEY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • RubberbandmanRubberbandman Posts: 439
    cant get over this show is already on boot dvd :)
  • elle74elle74 NJ Posts: 58
    Emac3142 wrote:
    Any night spent in the company of PJ is a great night IMO...loved the show, really loved footsteps and in hiding...can't wait for thursday :)

btw- how do people start exiting while the band is still on the stage playing??? I will never understand that!!

OMG I know! I was getting so annoyed!
    Shows: * Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24, 2000 * Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003 * PNC Bank Arts Center - Jul 14, 2003 * Continental Arena - Jun 01, 2006 * Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008 * Madison Square Garden - Jun 25, 2008 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 27, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 28, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 30, 2009 * Philadelphia Spectrum - Oct 31, 2009 * The Prudential Center - May 18, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010 * Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010 * Philadelphia, PA Made in America Sept 2, 2012 * Barclays Center - Oct 19, 2013 * Barclays Center - Oct 20, 2013
    EV Solo Shows: * NJPAC Newark, New Jersey - 08/07/2008 * Tower Theater Upper Darby, Pennsylvania - 06/12/2009 * Lyric Opera House, Baltimore, Maryland - 06/14/2009 * Beacon Theatre, New York, New York - 6/21/2011 * Beacon Theatre, New York, New York - 6/22/2011 * Tower Theater Upper Darby, Pennsylvania - 6/25/2011 *
  • jy1075jy1075 Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Anyone out there have a video of PJ playing "Alive" last night??? I'm looking for something showing eddie including the transition into "indifference". Pls share.... thanks so much!
    Post edited by jy1075 on
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Great Show.It was number 9 of this tour for me.

I WILL NEVER GO TO THAT SHITE HOLE NEWARK AGAIN.

All night long I watched security bum rushing people they "suspected" of smoking pot in their "lovely" city. The "locals" who worked there would whoop it up like they were watching Def Comedy Jam every time someone got snatched up and brought back to the ticket writing room. I was lucky enuff to not get spotted but alot of people were harrased all night long by the diverse workers of the Prudential Center.

Instead of using your laws to try to generate revenue to prop up your State's failing economy, tell your 400 pound governor to tax some of those Wall street billionaire thieves that live in your shitty state.

Sincerely,
    A CT Attorney
  • ElusiveElusive Posts: 203
    elle74 wrote:
    marcos wrote:
    easily best setlist yet!

damn right. Jersey girl? the whole song or just a snippet? gotta hear this............

Whole song! And I can't believe most of the NEW JERSEYANS were not singing along and excited to hear it like I was!!! :roll:

you have to be fucking kidding me with this. I'm a New Jerseyan and I couldn't sing along because I don't know the fucking words.........and, trust me, I've heard that song a million times....makes me think of my parents.
    NY 4/17/94, NY 9/28/96,Camden 9/2/00, Philly 4/28/03,Camden 7/5/03, 7/6/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Holmdel 7/14/03, Reading 10/1/04, Camden 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07, Camden 6/19/08, 6/20/08, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, EV solo 8/5/08, 8/7/09,6/11/09,6/12/09, Chicago 8/24/09, Philly 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, Newark 5/18/10, MSG 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, EV Solo 6/21/11, 6/22/2016, PJ20, Brooklyn 10/18/13, 10/19/13, Philly 10/21/13, 10/22/13, Philly 4/28/2016, NYC
  • mustbechrismustbechris Posts: 228
    jy1075 wrote:
    Anyone out there have a video of PJ playing "Alive" last night??? Pls share.... thanks so much!
    I guess if you gotta make one post on the board since 1998, it might as well be this. :lol::lol::lol: Alive kicked ass last night, the crowd was really into that one.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • mustbechrismustbechris Posts: 228
    rssesq wrote:
    Great Show.It was number 9 of this tour for me.

I WILL NEVER GO TO THAT SHITE HOLE NEWARK AGAIN.

All night long I watched security bum rushing people they "suspected" of smoking pot in their "lovely" city. The "locals" who worked there would whoop it up like they were watching Def Comedy Jam every time someone got snatched up and brought back to the ticket writing room. I was lucky enuff to not get spotted but alot of people were harrased all night long by the diverse workers of the Prudential Center.

Instead of using your laws to try to generate revenue to prop up your State's failing economy, tell your 400 pound governor to tax some of those Wall street billionaire thieves that live in your shitty state.

Sincerely,
    A CT Attorney
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • RubberbandmanRubberbandman Posts: 439
    Anyone out there have a video of PJ playing "Alive" last night??? Pls share.... thanks so much!

dvd boot is floating around
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,212
    I thought Stone was rocking. :) I also was digging Ed's dancing. :D Best line of the night: "This is a request -- from two nights ago."

It was an unusual set list; as someone already mentioned, a lot of the big guns were absent from the set list. "Unthought Known" sounded great; I'm happy that they no longer fly through it at warp speed when playing it live. I was thrilled to hear "In Hiding" -- if you heard a really loud scream at the beginning of the song, that was me. :oops: "Got Some" really has turned into a kick-ass live song. "You Are" was a nice surprise; I was watching a fan video of it on YouTube yesterday and really getting into the song, and last night's performance was terrific.

Well, actually I thought all of the songs sounded great, except perhaps "Life Wasted," which sounded kind of muddy for some reason. I thought my seats were pretty good for my high number. I had a nice clear view of Matt; I watch drummers more now that my son started playing. :)

The rest of the evening (drenching rain, hence was nice and soaked for the show; could not find Bello's; lame crowd) was kind of a bummer, but PJ was great. I wish I could get to more shows on this tour (husband already nixed the idea of trying to find MSG tix at the last minute).
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    UndyTaker wrote:
    Was it me, or was the sound bad? I was in Sec.17 on Mike's side, and it did not sound great. Like there was way too much treble or something. It was like the sound wasn't full enough. Like listening to a stereo through one speaker.

Sec 11 Stone's side sounded shit as well. They have no side or back speakers at Prudential. Unlike Boston where there was a wall of side and back speakers and the whole place sounded great

I thought Bridgeport was a dump but after a day in Newark, B-port looks like a shining beacon on a hill. lol
  • Vegan_RyRyVegan_RyRy Posts: 12
    This was my first show of the tour and my first time seeing PJ outside of Canada and I had a blast! I'm really pumped for
    the 2 shows at MSG!! Loved In Hiding, Footsteps, and Alive.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    I thought Stone was rocking. :) I also was digging Ed's dancing. :D Best line of the night: "This is a request -- from two nights ago."

:lol:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    ac attorney guy not sure where you were smokin and people got caught you talk about, i was in 127 it was cool smoked a blunt no problems, did it during first encore started, when it was all dark for a few song, security was like non existent in our section, outside is anotehr story there was a shitload of cops what the fuck up with the command center, that is some bullshit wish people go crazy and burn down that dumb thing lol, anyway we smoked a blunt on the street too like couple blocks off malbery where some ghetto houses were, no problems, but a cop did drive by and pretty sure figured we were smokin pot, however they kept driving and didnt stop thank god. not sure with the laws in jersey though, blunt is not jail is it, either way didnt get caught woohoo