*** Newark Fanviews Here 5/18/10 ***

Comments

• iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    just got home..i was in sec 20 and i will admit i didnt go as crazy as i normally would but its because im sick already and going to both msg shows as well so trying to conserve

but ive been to 3 pj shows before this one and this was def the weakest crowd

but god what an amazing setlist..

ALONE!!!
    BROTHER!!!
    IMMORTALITY!!!
    FOOTSTEPS!!!
    IN HIDING!!!

i would have been happy with just those lol

now one day rest and off to both msg shows
  • Just got home from the show and it was AMAZING! that arena sounds great. you heard every single word ed said and every note from mike's guitar. got to hear a few i havent heard yet and some classics that i always love to hear. as far as the people bitching about the crowd......seriosuly? the best band of the last 25 years is 50 feet in front of you rocking your socks off and all you people can think is hmmmm.....this crowd isn't very into it. get a life. Ed, you and the guys were incredible tonight and thank you for for another amazing show. hope to see you guys soon.
  • Nittany1bnNittany1bn Near Philadelphia Posts: 214
    definitely a great setlist...i took my daughter to her first Pearl Jam show, met some cool people on the train, got to see a couple of songs i've never seen them play, (best moment: after Jersey Girl the crowd screamed "BRUUUUUUUCE!" and Ed says "you guys calling Boom Gaspar? i love Bruce more than anybody but Tom Waits wrote that song") as far as the crowd goes, i didn't notice anything wrong where i was, we were all jamming.
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    Just got home from the show and it was AMAZING! that arena sounds great. you heard every single word ed said and every note from mike's guitar. got to hear a few i havent heard yet and some classics that i always love to hear. as far as the people bitching about the crowd......seriosuly? the best band of the last 25 years is 50 feet in front of you rocking your socks off and all you people can think is hmmmm.....this crowd isn't very into it. get a life. Ed, you and the guys were incredible tonight and thank you for for another amazing show. hope to see you guys soon.

well im not saying the crowd ruined it some that say that go a little overboard

but i do admit the more the crowd is into it the better the overall feel of the show is thats undeniable
  • State of MindState of Mind Posts: 281
    I was in section 18 also and we should be proud of ourselves!!! There were fan club members sitting next to my son and me ( sorry, I don't remember your names, row 15 seats 1 and 2) and the couple from Denmark in front of us, who are also going to both MSG. Hope you have a great time here in America! My 14 yr old was getting tired, don't know how the young child on the floor who got that tambourine was still awake!

Great show, section 18 was awesome!
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,844
    This was show number 40 for me, and it was quite an odyssey to get there. Woke up at 7:30 a.m. in Braintree, Mass., after last night's show, drove the rental car to Logan Airport for dropoff, took the Silver Line from Logan to Boston's South Station, boarded an 11:05 a.m. Amtrak train to Newark, arrived at nearly 5 p.m. after an hourlong delay, handed my bags off to my parents (who graciously drove into Newark from Brooklyn just so I could unload my bags), rocked out at the show until the final note at 11:10 p.m., grabbed the PATH train into Manhattan, transferred to the subway, finally walking in the door of my parents' house in Brooklyn at 1:19 a.m., nearly 18 hours after it all started.

To the show: sure, the crowd was not as electric as Hartford or Boston, but it was just fine. There was plenty of enthusiasm, and few empty seats. 163xxx got me Row 18 Stoneside (Section A). The sound was excellent-- better than Boston, just shy of Hartford. I was expecting a by-the-numbers, hit-heavy setlist. Not so much. My second "Alone," my first "Brother," my second "Supersonic" (and my first that wasn't modified to be about the defunct NBA team from Seattle), and my second "Glorified G" (that's right-- in 40 shows). There was also my 35th "Even Flow." :)

It was a great night for the letter "I": "Insignificance"; "Indifference"; "Inside Job"; "In Hiding." All were welcome, and all were stellar. Where were "I Got ID," "In My Tree" and "I Am Mine"?!?

It's "hard to imagine" what's in store for MSG, but I know what's on my "wishlist": "Army Reserve"; "Around The Bend"; "Bugs"; and "I'm Open." I'll take a "Wash," too.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • OrophinOrophin Posts: 2
    Great show - was in section 18 as well. Crowd wasn't that loud, but it was also tough to hear anything but the band since we were right by the side speakers. Heard some songs I never saw live before, but also saw a bit of a similarity between this setlist and the one from June 1 06 @ Continental -- both contained songs like Alone, Leatherman, Footsteps, Immortality, Indifference, Glorified G, etc. Several of these I haven't heard live since that show either.

Not sure if it was brought up earlier, but I love the "Face Melt" switch inside Mike's head on the poster.
  • mustbechrismustbechris Posts: 228
    this crowd was beat. maybe i'm just spoiled by the spectrum crowd but it was quiet, people were sitting (in fact, my friends who were sitting in another section said people told them to sit down because they couldn't see...since standing at a rock concert is illegal and all...). the crowd did not do the setlist or the band justice. the loudest response was easily for jersey girl, and that's a shame (nothing against the song or against bruce...but it wasn't a bruce show, it was a pearl jam show. don't sit the entire show and then stand up for jersey girl).

with that said, the sound in the arena was really good. the band was great. it was a pretty quick set all things considered (at least by their standards), about 2 hours or so, but man did they make use of the time they had. i mean...open with of the girl, go into brain of j, they played alone, immortality, in hiding, insignificance, brother, WMA tag on daughter (i've been wanting to hear that), leatherman, footsteps, inside job, you are...just wow.

go was great. it's not exactly a rare song, but it was one of the highlights of the night. same with whipping. inside job was incredible. brain of j kicked ass. footsteps was amazing. i think i'm out of adjectives to use. this show was just...wow. setlist isn't what boston was on the 17th but it was a hell of a setlist for sure, especially looking back on it now. i can't wait to get this bootleg.

i'm not a devils fan, but props to eddie for wearing the 34 shirt (aka the two numbers retired by the devils - 3 (ken danyko) and 4 (scott stevens). i actually hate the devils (i'm a flyers fan) but that was pretty cool to see.

all in all, i doubt i'm gonna go up to newark for a show again. the atmosphere was awful and the lack of tailgating was a hurt. next time they don't play philly i think i'm just gonna go down to DC or up to the garden. still...amazing, amazing show. thank you pearl jam for never disappointing.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,622
    Just got home and all I can say is: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told myself to wait until after ALL 5 of my shows before making my fanviews, so I will wait. But I have so much to say about these last two shows.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • PATRICKJTPATRICKJT Posts: 7
    I had such a great time at this show. Loved the set list. Everyone around me in section 17 was rockin out. Weak crowd?? Don't know about that. There's always scattered groups of people who don't sing or move around much (the sitters are always particularly annoying at any show) but most people seemed to be enjoying themselves anytime I looked out across the arena. I even noticed people in the nose bleed section way in the back who were dancing their arses off. To each his/her own.
  • Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    I thought the show was great. I was on the floor for the first time and I must say i was a bit disappointed. I felt like all through the show they just did not know what was going on. I went in with a sore throat and a bad cold and I still jumped around and screamed my lungs out. Although now I probably won't have a voice for MSG, I had an awesome time at Newark.

...and everyone around YOU will now have a COLD!...lol :P
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,875
    Solat13 wrote:

Great pictures!! Thanks!!! :)
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Heather EversHeather Evers Posts: 168
    Jersey Girl...was that for "EddieWouldGo"??? :D
    I like to think so!!!
    If I had known then...what I know now...

the vic ~ 8.2.07
    eV at The Ryman ~ 6.18.09
    st. louis ~ 5.4.10
    If we all did a little, together we could make a BIG difference....wanna help us?
    Then visit http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com
  • Laura in NJLaura in NJ Posts: 176
    hailhail50 wrote:
    The show was great, #14 for me and I'm pretty sure my first Of the Girl, great setlist, just seemed like something was missing from some of the crowd, I don;t know if it was because of the weeknight or what? Lots of people bitching about not enough songs they knew in the lobby. I would have to say if that was in fact the venue that turned the lights off early at Indifference, I hope the band doesnt play there again, between that, the $40!!!! parking, and the freaking high end like VIP areas, it certainly didnt make for a great vibe. That being said, well worth the drive from Philly, last row in section 17 was rocking for sure!!

You picked the wrong parking. It was $25 on Mulberry Street, right across from Verizon Tower entrance.
    Laura in NJ
    4-17-1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
    6-20-1995 Red Rocks (Sponsored By No One tour)
    6-23-1998 Fiddler’s Green, CO
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    9-28-2004 Fleet Center, Boston (Vote For Change warmup)
    6-01-2006 & 6-03-2006 E. Rutherford, NJ
    6-25-2008 MSG NYC * 7-07-2008 EV NJPAC
  • hatnhamhatnham Oak Ridge, NJ Posts: 35
    I thought the show as great. Section B Row 13. Great show, great crowd. Had a blast with the dude sitting next to me. Everytime I looked around the whole joint was standing and rocking. Singing was excellent. The crowd bashing is completely unjustified. You whiners ruin this forum...find something better to boo hoo about. Be positive or be quiet.
    4/17/94, 9/29/96, 9/10/98, 8/7/00, 8/24/00, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04, 5/12/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/12/08, 6/27/08, Ed solo 8/5/08, 10/27/09,5/18/10,10/22/13,5/1/16
    edited May 2010
    Just got home from the show and it was AMAZING! that arena sounds great. you heard every single word ed said and every note from mike's guitar. got to hear a few i havent heard yet and some classics that i always love to hear. as far as the people bitching about the crowd......seriosuly? the best band of the last 25 years is 50 feet in front of you rocking your socks off and all you people can think is hmmmm.....this crowd isn't very into it. get a life. Ed, you and the guys were incredible tonight and thank you for for another amazing show. hope to see you guys soon.

The Ten Club REALLY came through this time. Not only was the ticket buying experience a three-minute excursion (compared to my failed three-HOUR attempt to land MSG...thanks, out-of-market buyers), but we lotteried the second row in front of Stone. I couldn't shoot video (too close to security), but was close enough that the people in front of me got doused with Ed's sweat.

However, I did take a LOT of killer pix, since the last time I was in the second row for PJ was, um, never. (Best I've done previously was 10th row at Fiddlers Green in 1998). That's a chance I may not get again. And guess what...you can't jump and shoot photos at the same time. So hmmmmm possible explanation for the floor's so-called lack of energy?

I don't know about the people around me, but I was jumping around when I felt like it, and no, I wasn't sitting down. Also, my guest wasn't familiar with the rarities, so he didn't jump. Doesn't mean he enjoyed the show any less. And by the way, a lot of people on the floor are disabled and can't friggin' jump. Doesn't mean they love the BAND any less.

Seriously, people. I agree with LightYearsMike. Get a life. Everyone has their own way of loving a band and enjoying their concert experience.

Frankly...I think you're all just jealous. Flame on!
    Post edited by Laura in NJ on
    Laura in NJ
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    If it hasn't already been covered, "You Are" was a crowd request...it was on one of the signs that Ed grabbed from the crowd.

Both he and Mike threw tons of picks...but they were all on Mike's side so no picks this time :-( Oh well...can't complain! And won't!
    Laura in NJ
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
  • joeybucketsjoeybuckets Posts: 511
    Not to offend anyone! But the whole 10c crowd on the floor should have their membership revoked. And the 10c menbers in the second row on Mike's end, they should be shot and then have their membership revoked. You slugs...............

it was pretty dead up front i agree.
    6.19.08 Camden 1
    6.24.08 MSG 1
    8.05.08 EV NYC 2 (3rd Row)
    5.18.10 Newark
    5.20.10 MSG 1
    5.21.10 MSG 2
    6.21.11 Beacon Theatre,NYC
    6.22.11 Beacon Theatre,NYC
    9.02.12 Made In America Festival, Philly
    10.18.13 Barclays Brooklyn,NY
    10.19.13 Barclays Brooklyn,NY
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,432
    Sounds like a very good show....would love to hear Footsteps one day. Glad to see that played and dedicated ALIVE for that kid and his dad :thumbup: :clap:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,032
    Just a few random thoughts as I sit here trying to wake up from only a few hours sleep and ringing in my ears, in no particular order

Very cool seeing EV sport a Walter Payton themed Bears shirt. Made me think of Dirty Tom!

Dont go on ebay and buy a PJ/Devils shirt. It is a bootleg shirt sold outside the venues only from guys with trash bags full of these shirts. They did not have them inside at all.

Footsteps, Alone, Got Some and some other songs were really neat treats. I hope to see the setlist scan as I have a feeling we definitely missed some planned songs. Getting Jersey Girl was a neat treat although I would have preferred something a little more fast paced and energetic.

I can see what folks are talking about regarding the crowd. We sat 8th row, dead center EV, and with being a short guy, I never had a show before where I didn't have to stand on my toes the entire time. The crowd in general was inconsistent with their levels of energy and bouncing around. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was from being tired from Boston, etc. I don't know. You could definitely sense the lack of energy for certain portions of the show.

It might just be me, but I thought the sound changed during the shows, after the 1st encore. The first half of the show, the sound was amazing. After the 1st encore, I think something was turned up too high or too loud but again, it may be just me. not a complaint, just an observation.

Definitey a lot of audibles by the band. I am not sure if the guitar techs were having an off night and couldn't keep up with the band or what but there were lots of huddles and conversations where I felt some of the momentum was lost. EV even got pissed at one point where his guitar wasn't ready and threw his pick out in the crowd as he no longer needed it, out of frustration.

A new thing I experienced last night was watching people's reactions when they realized they won the lottery. Very cool and nice to see their faces when they realize they are row 1 and 2. Not winning the lottery but seeing their reactions is a nice 2nd prize and I really think the lottery thing is a good thing, giving those a chance to sit where they dont sit normally without affecting the more senior members too much. I will gladly move back 2 rows in exchange for seeing the faces light up with excitement for more recent 10c members. A pretty cool experience.

I loved EV changing the WMA lyrics to White Male Arizonian. Very clever and relevant.

Very cool to see EV give a tambourine to that youngling sitting between Mike and EV, around row 5. His father looked like they had the best night of their lives.

Very glad to hear EV dedicate Just Breathe to the father and son on this forum (the ruggiero's). Getting that letter to EV only reconfirms that the pen is mightier than the sword.

Special thanks to Laura and those who ran the Wishlist Pre Party. The odds were against you with this show being added late but you did a great job and provided everyone a nice place to get dry and hang out before the show.

After all of the philly 2009 shows, this was it for me in 2010 (unless they want to come back to Philly this fall!) so thank you PJ, thank you 10c, and thank you everyone else for last night's opportunity to go to Newark and see my band. I realize the show almost didn't happen so I am grateful.

Enjoy the rest of 2010's shows everyone. They are a gift.
  • yakko69yakko69 Posts: 131
    Wow, what a show!!!

I thought the show was top 5 of my 42 shows I've attended so far. We sat row 12 Stone side, center. My brother and I were rockin out SOOOO hard with our Pearl Jam license plates that Eddie between songs said...."I just wanna call attention to something. I'm seeing a bunch of license plates lately.....I can't really tell what they say.....But I gotta assume they're stolen or something"

I was at Hartford 12th row Stone side also, and brought 1 of my plates.

Although I have never won the lottery....I always sit on the floor within 10-15th rows......this was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had! I'll definitely be picking up this bootleg!!!

See you @ MSG guys!!
    ...44 shows...and counting....
  • phungiphungi Posts: 640
    Show was great, but I have felt more energy watching Beaches with octogenarians in a retirement home...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,086
    Newch91 wrote:
    Leatherman?! I was hoping for that one in Hartford. It would've been perfect for Hartford.

Did Ed think I'm from Newark?

Yeah, that one woulda been really good fit in the hartford setlist.
    This show looks damn good, these guys are on a non-stop rampage through the northeast!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited May 2010
    nice night...they sounded great...
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • willnycwillnyc ...nyc Posts: 131
    amazing show, in the tops of the ones ive seen. i was a little disappointed by the lack of energy on the floor, though, not the normal sea of hands and jumping im accustomed to. alone, you are (light show was awesome), in hiding, glorified, footsteps, brother, of the girl opener, are just a few that jump out at me. cannot wait for MSG thursday and friday, if this show was any indicator, were in fora hell of a ride...
  • Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    What a great show music wise. Im so glad I heard Immortality and In Hiding. YOU ARE WAS SICK.

Alone was awesome.

Crowd was a let down, I was rocking all night in my Rangers jersey.

Can't wait for Friday.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Section 18, props to you.. We rocked it.. I am surprised no one has mentioned how good Unthought Known was. I was hoping Ed would mention the first time it was ever played live was at his Solo show In Newark. He said he wrote it in his hotel room the night before and it was like a pair of pants that needed some sewing to fit right.

The show was great and the crowd was fine. It cant be like the Spectrum shows every night. :D
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    EV even got pissed at one point where his guitar wasn't ready and threw his pick out in the crowd as he no longer needed it, out of frustration.

I saw that- he flung it SO far too, i couldnt beleive how far he got it out there.

I had a blast. While I can appreciate why people would be bummed about the crowd, it didnt affect me one bit, I was psyched to see pj rock out as usual - it was my 16th show and i dont know what it is, after every show i feel like that was the best show ever- theres just a way you feel during it, and the song selection was fantastic. was it the best ever, no, but it was phenominal- i feel them this tour.. really excited for msg!

thanks ten club too for the seats. row 4 in section 8. amazing seats!

i actually thought I won the lottery for a second there - pretty embarassing! I don't know the seating chart too well, and I was thinking of the Izod center in jersey, where section 8 is on the floor. I started going crazy and went to the guard to go on the floor and he thought i was crazy! ha! got so excited!
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    oh yeah, heavily bearded grizzly adams looking dude in the front of section 17, you were going nuts all night, good job!
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1