*** Newark Fanviews Here 5/18/10 ***

Comments

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    Solat13 wrote:

Great pictures! I love the Payton jersey and the Nike sneakers for Eddie. Looks like he just walked off the street from a game of pickup ball or something ;)
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    Section 18, props to you.. We rocked it.. I am surprised no one has mentioned how good Unthought Known was. I was hoping Ed would mention the first time it was ever played live was at his Solo show In Newark. He said he wrote it in his hotel room the night before and it was like a pair of pants that needed some sewing to fit right.

He actually referred to it as a piece of fruit he's pulling off a tree before it's ripe. ;):)

I thought it was a fantastic setlist! I was thrilled to get Of The Girl to open. I loved hearing Eddie talk about James and his dad. Mike going out into the crowd during Alive was just all kinds of awesome.

Oh, and Supersonic is rapidly becoming one of my favorite live songs.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • MikeSigMikeSig Posts: 74
    Great setlist, amazing 10th row seats thanks to the 10C lottery, horrible crowd. I was bummed that even the people in the front of the floor seemed dead by and large, which really hurt the experience for me. Still a great show, though - my friend and I snapped some great pics, too (the one benefit of the crowd being dead was that we didn't feel like idiots for using the camera once in a while). Here are the pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... aaac2724fd
  • dontejasdontejas Posts: 31
    Awesome show. Re the crowd energy of Newark vs. Hartford, it comes down to one show being a Saturday and the other a Tuesday. It's not a great excuse, but having to get up for work the next day changes how crazy people get.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    nycrats wrote:
    EV even got pissed at one point where his guitar wasn't ready and threw his pick out in the crowd as he no longer needed it, out of frustration.

I saw that- he flung it SO far too, i couldnt beleive how far he got it out there.

I had a blast. While I can appreciate why people would be bummed about the crowd, it didnt affect me one bit, I was psyched to see pj rock out as usual - it was my 16th show and i dont know what it is, after every show i feel like that was the best show ever- theres just a way you feel during it, and the song selection was fantastic. was it the best ever, no, but it was phenominal- i feel them this tour.. really excited for msg!

thanks ten club too for the seats. row 4 in section 8. amazing seats!

i actually thought I won the lottery for a second there - pretty embarassing! I don't know the seating chart too well, and I was thinking of the Izod center in jersey, where section 8 is on the floor. I started going crazy and went to the guard to go on the floor and he thought i was crazy! ha! got so excited!

and that was one of the 2 i found after the show :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    njaussie wrote:
    I would also like to thank the 2 skanks in front of us for bitching and moaning about some jacket for the whole show. Take your mullet wigs and stick em where the sun don't shine and don't ever come to a PJ gig again.

I saw these two. We were trying to figure out if they were kidding with the wigs, or if they were seriously retarded. Sorry you had them annoying you all night.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • PaigePaige Posts: 365
    I thought it was an amazing show. Energy was great where I was, section 7. We stood the whole time. Everyone was really into it. No one seemed to be worried about going to work tomorrow as far as the imbibing was concerned.

I'm another who had never gotten "Of the Girl" as an opener, I knew we were in for a dazzling evening.

It was bizarre but the sound seemed smaller on some songs than others. But not the band nor their energy.

I blogged on the show: http://maximumtuneage.blogspot.com/2010 ... g-was.html

Hope everyone enjoys theirs! It definitely is a gift.
  • MikeSigMikeSig Posts: 74
    Paige wrote:
    I thought it was an amazing show. Energy was great where I was, section 7. We stood the whole time. Everyone was really into it. No one seemed to be worried about going to work tomorrow as far as the imbibing was concerned.

I'm another who had never gotten "Of the Girl" as an opener, I knew we were in for a dazzling evening.

It was bizarre but the sound seemed smaller on some songs than others. But not the band nor their energy.

Sound is generally terrible at Pru because of the ludicrously high, flat ceiling. It was good to see PJ get the best out of it, as only some songs sounded "small."
    hailhail50 wrote:
    The show was great, #14 for me and I'm pretty sure my first Of the Girl, great setlist, just seemed like something was missing from some of the crowd, I don;t know if it was because of the weeknight or what? Lots of people bitching about not enough songs they knew in the lobby. I would have to say if that was in fact the venue that turned the lights off early at Indifference, I hope the band doesnt play there again, between that, the $40!!!! parking, and the freaking high end like VIP areas, it certainly didnt make for a great vibe. That being said, well worth the drive from Philly, last row in section 17 was rocking for sure!!

You picked the wrong parking. It was $25 on Mulberry Street, right across from Verizon Tower entrance.

I got that beat... Parked at Iberia (a restaurant on Ferry St)...$7 and only three blocks to the arena.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • colorsblendcolorsblend Posts: 173
    Killer show! After 36 shows, I've finally heard Of The Girl.

I won the lottery.... 10th row in the center. :D Around me, everyone was dancing and rocking out.

Also on the setlist and not played was No Way.
  • I am surprised no one has mentioned how good Unthought Known was. :D

this.
    As good as immortality was and always is, Unthought Known was amazing. This will become a live staple for years and years.

first time at the prudential Center and was very impressed with the place.
    The staff was very friendly, from the bartenders to the ushers.
    very impressed by the sound in the arena, it was amazing. Everything EV said was clear.

First time i've seen then when they didnt play at least 2 of the following: Porch, Corduroy, state of love, Black , YLB, GTF, RVM, Animal, RITFW, Dissident, Betterman and the show still rocked

Footsteps, Alive, and once were fantastic. The band was tight, all the kinks of the new album that they had trouble with in philly were worked out perfectly.

anyone else see the nice chick fight in the concourse leaving the building?....jersey trash is awesome.

How about release, oceans and love boat captain for friday MSG?
  • GoingHungryGoingHungry Posts: 33
    I wasn't at this show, I saw them in Bristow last week. That show was great, but one thing I notice on both threads is everyone is so worried about the crowd and comparing apples to apples. Are we not ALL PEARL JAM FANS? This isn't a freakin sporting event where your city is better than ours and vice-versa. We are there to see the greatest band of all time play and perform, They feed off the crowd, I know that, but they give it 100% every night. So go to the show, worry about yourself and stop worrying about who is the #1 fan. We are all PJ fans, otherwise we wouldn't be on this forum. btw, great set list for Newark and Boston, may be buying the whole tour boots at this rate!
    I am mine!
  • London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    So it was lousy tailgating weather and a Tuesday night show. The crowd was definately subdued. Even after Ed mentioned it, not much change from the crowd.

I thank the band for pushing through this and putting on a great show.

I really appreciated:

Brain of J
    Brother
    Alone
    Footsteps
    Go
    Inside Job
  • mavimavi Posts: 941
    MikeSig wrote:

Great pics, thanks for posting!!
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Laura in NJLaura in NJ Posts: 176

A new thing I experienced last night was watching people's reactions when they realized they won the lottery. Very cool and nice to see their faces when they realize they are row 1 and 2. Not winning the lottery but seeing their reactions is a nice 2nd prize and I really think the lottery thing is a good thing, giving those a chance to sit where they dont sit normally without affecting the more senior members too much. I will gladly move back 2 rows in exchange for seeing the faces light up with excitement for more recent 10c members. A pretty cool experience.

Wow...I wonder if you are talking about me. I've never been to Pru Center, so I didn't know what my seats would be just by looking at the ticket. I asked the girl in the will call, and she just said, "They're on the floor." I set off looking for a seating chart but didn't see one posted, so popped over to another will call window and asked the guy in there. He busted out his seating chart, took a peek at my second-row tix, grinned, and said, "If you were any closer, you'd be on stage."

At which point I absolutely lost it. Started screaming and jumping up and down from the ticket window all the way to the center of the box office lobby and then the vestibule. People around me got a good chuckle out of it, and everyone was super nice, with "Congrats!" and "Way to go"s all around. "Giddy with joy" is probably the best way to describe it.

This soooooooooo makes up for the horror show that was ticketing for MSG1 and 2.

What a great PJ experience. Ranks up there with my Denver U2 "in the egg" lottery. THANK YOU TEN CLUB!!!

Loyal member since 1996.
    Laura in NJ
    4-17-1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
    6-20-1995 Red Rocks (Sponsored By No One tour)
    6-23-1998 Fiddler’s Green, CO
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    9-28-2004 Fleet Center, Boston (Vote For Change warmup)
    6-01-2006 & 6-03-2006 E. Rutherford, NJ
    6-25-2008 MSG NYC * 7-07-2008 EV NJPAC
    yakko69 wrote:
    I thought the show was top 5 of my 42 shows I've attended so far. We sat row 12 Stone side, center. My brother and I were rockin out SOOOO hard with our Pearl Jam license plates that Eddie between songs said...."I just wanna call attention to something. I'm seeing a bunch of license plates lately.....I can't really tell what they say.....But I gotta assume they're stolen or something"

You were not far from me...those were pretty killer plates!!
    Laura in NJ
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
  • Set was awesome. at least 4 songs I'd never heard before... I too thought the crowd was "meh" at times (perhaps b/c my last PJ was Philly 4).

Can someone post a picture of the poster? also I never hit a merch tent? any cool tees?
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • beelybeely Posts: 6
    Not that anyone would give it back to me, but I left my poster in seat 10 row 7 in Section A. Anyone have it?
    Here are my second-row pix...lemme know if you can't view them (I have most of my FB stuff set to just friends):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=175787&id=722731052&l=01225cff12
    Laura in NJ
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    dontejas wrote:
    Awesome show. Re the crowd energy of Newark vs. Hartford, it comes down to one show being a Saturday and the other a Tuesday. It's not a great excuse, but having to get up for work the next day changes how crazy people get.

Thank you! Got to sleep at 1:30 and up at 6. I am the walking dead today but still high from the show!
    Laura in NJ
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    Paige wrote:

Your blog was a gift, too...and the vids! I couldn't shoot from my too-close-to-security spot, and I usually do, so THANK YOU!
    Laura in NJ
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    Soybeans wrote:
    hailhail50 wrote:
    The show was great, #14 for me and I'm pretty sure my first Of the Girl, great setlist, just seemed like something was missing from some of the crowd, I don;t know if it was because of the weeknight or what? Lots of people bitching about not enough songs they knew in the lobby. I would have to say if that was in fact the venue that turned the lights off early at Indifference, I hope the band doesnt play there again, between that, the $40!!!! parking, and the freaking high end like VIP areas, it certainly didnt make for a great vibe. That being said, well worth the drive from Philly, last row in section 17 was rocking for sure!!

You picked the wrong parking. It was $25 on Mulberry Street, right across from Verizon Tower entrance.

I got that beat... Parked at Iberia (a restaurant on Ferry St)...$7 and only three blocks to the arena.

But did you EAT at Iberia??? We did. Don't make that mistake again if you didn't! Some of the best Portuguese in Newark at that place...and the service killed too. Got us in and out in record time. We just opted to park closer due to the rain.
    Laura in NJ
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
  • amazing set ..... amazing seats....thanks again Ten Club....highlights included Brother, Immortality, Footsteps, Insignificance, Once, Amongst the Waves and Jersey Girl and Indifference (with the lights on)......Crowd was a little subdued though....see ya in the Garden.....PEACE LOVE PEARL JAM
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    My 14th PJ show! It was an excellent night....Pearl Jam never disappoints, lots of rarities. Great seats and surrounded by good energy in section 18! Thanks PJ and 10C!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    edited May 2010
    These are the press pics posted on the Star Ledger (still no official review of the show)
    http://photos.nj.com/4504/gallery/pearl ... index.html

I also have to agree with the previous posts regarding the lame crowd. I don't know who those people were around me on the floor by Mike, but they were not Pearl Jam fans. Maybe they were from the Justin Bieber fan club, but def not 10clubbers. Only a few of us were into it at all.

Muchos Gracias to my man in the 5th row for the 420

Also... thanks to the hottie in row four. Even though I kept jumping into her during the show, she was kind enough to hook me up with a Mike pic. 8-)
    Post edited by Soybeans on
  • Chris DesiChris Desi Posts: 19
    I brought my teenage sons last night and it seemed like they were the only one's not texting and playing with their god damned cell phones! Shouldn't it be the other way around? They were rocking hard!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Not to offend anyone! But the whole 10c crowd on the floor should have their membership revoked. And the 10c menbers in the second row on Mike's end, they should be shot and then have their membership revoked. You slugs...............

Yeah rows 1&2 are lottery winners not the senior members row which start at row 3 and i can assure me & Tone jumped all night long and screamed our lungs out i was 3rd row in front of mike ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • abulrabulr Posts: 80
    Not to offend anyone! But the whole 10c crowd on the floor should have their membership revoked. And the 10c menbers in the second row on Mike's end, they should be shot and then have their membership revoked. You slugs...............

I feel like after all these years there are a couple of pure and simple facts on this forum. God forbid EVERYONE isn't jumping around like maniacs. God forbid anyone suggesting that Pearl Jam didnt put on their best show ever.

Last night was only number 22 for me so I realize that makes me a rookie in some of your terms, but i've been fortunate enough to have been a part of some amazing shows (w/ Ramones, Randall's, MSG, Spectrum)... shows where the band played extra encores and very long sets (not that that should be a judge of how good the show was... but it says somethign when the band comes back for more or no one wants to go home... etc).

Anyways - as I told my wife last night in response to "how was it"... "well, someone has got rank number 22 our of 22, they can't all be in the 'Top Five'"

To begin with, where I was sitting the first few songs were very "tinny" sounding and had some weird "echo". Not sure if that's the Prudential Center (my first show there) or the sound guys' settings, but it got slightly better later in the night.

Secondly, as much as I love and appreciate certain songs, just to chalk them up in my "seen-it-performed-live" list, I am honestly comfortable enough in my "fanhood" to say that some songs do not make me jump up and down. They are not the best, when heard live.

Now, imagine doing what the band does day in day out, night in night out. Over hundreds and hundreds of shows. They can't all be Benaroyas or whatever. Sorry, simple fact.

So, why is it a problem when someone says "it was Pearl Jam, it was heaven, but it wasn't their best... far from it"

That's how I feel. Honestly. Please spare the attacks. Looking forward to the next two nights.

Thank you PJ - for a lifetime of great sets and great memories!
    9/95 N.O. ; 9/96 Randall's 1&2 ; 9/98 Continental ; 9/98 - MSG 1 & 2 ; 5/00 - Wembley ; 8/00 - Jones Beach 1,2&3 ; 7/03 - MSG 1&2 ; 5/06 - Irving Plaza ; 6/06 - Continental 1&2 ; 6/08 - MSG 1&2 ; 6/08 - Beacon ; 10/09 - Spectrum 2&3 ; 05/10 - Prudential ; 05/10 - MSG 1&2; 10/13 - Barclays 1&2 ; 10/14 Memphis ; 9/15 Central Park; 4/16 Philly 2; 5/16 MSG 1&2; 5/16 QC; 8/16 Boston; 8/16 Chicago 1&2; 8/18 Seattle 1&2; 8/18 Boston
  • spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    by elevation622 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Could the crowd have been better? Yeah, but I didn't come to see the crowd. I had a great fucking time,

BEST line of the thread, elevation622! I agree totally ... I had a great time, too, went alone, got real high, saw show #29 ... Give it up for the BRICK CITY ... I thought we did the place proud overall. Man, did my seat on the 12:08 on New Jersey Transit outta Newark feel great, even with the ringing in my ears!

See ya in NYC tomorrow baby!

"...I did what I had to do ... and if there was reason, it was you!"
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    Not every song needs jumping around. What, Pearl Jam needs a fan to jump and look like an asshole while they play every song. Some songs I just like to get in the zone like McCready does. Esp. with the set list tonight with Amongst The Waves, Immortality, In Hiding in a row. That is the best put your mind at ease and zone away set of songs ever. If you stand and don't move for the harder driving songs the whole night well thats another thing. Plus got to say, for a fan in their 40's(and not fat) going to this many shows in a week my legs hurt!!!