Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    Toronto faces having to close community centres, cancel programs to house migrant tide from U.S.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-faces-having-to-close-community-centres-cancel-programs-to-house-migrant-tide-from-u-s?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1530021674

Nah there no price to pay for illegal migrants...
    There always will be, but in the end the benefit outweighs it, if it's done right. why are they jamming all of these people in one of the most densely populated cities in canada?
    What's the benefit? I'm asking this seriously because I really don't know the answer.
    economically. 
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance but again, I'm not following you. How do asylum seekers and refugees help the economy?

And I made a point here to say "asylum seekers and refugees" because that's what the article says. Meltdown99, who posted the article, referred to it as illegal immigration, which is different.
    I fail to see how they help the economy?  The Ontario government spends around 11000 per child to educate, Many of the asylum seeker have more than 3 kids ... 3 kids alone is $33000/ year in services ... these asylum seekers will never pay that amount of tax, not the mention the extra strain on our government run health care.

Yeah this was the answer I kinda looking for. I think it's a stress on the American (or in this case, Canadian) government to provide for these asylum seekers. It doesn't seem like it helps the economy like HFD has suggested it does.
    Wait? Instead of doing a little research to find some facts you settle for "the answer I kinda looking for", from a guy providing an uniformed opinion? 

Yikes.
    Ledbetterman, If I were you I'd never take what meltdown says as an informed opinion. He has no real idea of how immigrants benefit the economy at the end of the day, and therefore just assumes they don't by looking at selective info from a biased position. Once he finds enough info to make it look like his preconceived notion is correct, he stops, and presents his conclusions in a way that makes some think it's an informed opinion.
    That's fair enough. After all, he didn't exactly have anything to back up his numbers. And yet, when HughFreakinDillion linked to a study that seems to be from credible source, I took THAT with a grain of salt. Why? Well I hate to admit it, but maybe I'm looking to be convinced of that someone like Meltdown is right about immigration. I guess I'm just on the conservative side of the fence on this immigration thing.
    It's really just the difference between a narrow view and wide view... I think we all know which view is the best one. ;)
    I just hate extremes. The illegal immigration extremes are....

Conservative: GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!
    Liberal: We're all immigrants! Don't be a hypocrite.

I think the answers fall someone where in the middle.
    It does.

Illegal.
    Legal.

That is it.
    Yes, when you remove all empathy and humanity from the equation, it is that simple. Too bad that impossible in practice unless you're evil and/or a psychopath.
    Technically a sociopath can also do that.  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited June 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    Toronto faces having to close community centres, cancel programs to house migrant tide from U.S.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-faces-having-to-close-community-centres-cancel-programs-to-house-migrant-tide-from-u-s?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1530021674

There always will be, but in the end the benefit outweighs it, if it's done right. why are they jamming all of these people in one of the most densely populated cities in canada?
    What's the benefit? I'm asking this seriously because I really don't know the answer.
    economically. 
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance but again, I'm not following you. How do asylum seekers and refugees help the economy?

And I made a point here to say "asylum seekers and refugees" because that's what the article says. Meltdown99, who posted the article, referred to it as illegal immigration, which is different.
    I fail to see how they help the economy?  The Ontario government spends around 11000 per child to educate, Many of the asylum seeker have more than 3 kids ... 3 kids alone is $33000/ year in services ... these asylum seekers will never pay that amount of tax, not the mention the extra strain on our government run health care.

Yeah this was the answer I kinda looking for. I think it's a stress on the American (or in this case, Canadian) government to provide for these asylum seekers. It doesn't seem like it helps the economy like HFD has suggested it does.
    Wait? Instead of doing a little research to find some facts you settle for "the answer I kinda looking for", from a guy providing an uniformed opinion? 

Yikes.
    Ledbetterman, If I were you I'd never take what meltdown says as an informed opinion. He has no real idea of how immigrants benefit the economy at the end of the day, and therefore just assumes they don't by looking at selective info from a biased position. Once he finds enough info to make it look like his preconceived notion is correct, he stops, and presents his conclusions in a way that makes some think it's an informed opinion.
    That's fair enough. After all, he didn't exactly have anything to back up his numbers. And yet, when HughFreakinDillion linked to a study that seems to be from credible source, I took THAT with a grain of salt. Why? Well I hate to admit it, but maybe I'm looking to be convinced of that someone like Meltdown is right about immigration. I guess I'm just on the conservative side of the fence on this immigration thing.
    It's really just the difference between a narrow view and wide view... I think we all know which view is the best one. ;)

It does.

Illegal.
    Legal.

That is it.
    Yes, when you remove all empathy and humanity from the equation, it is that simple. Too bad that impossible in practice unless you're evil and/or a psychopath.
    Technically a sociopath can also do that.  
    Yes, that is true (I recently learned that a psychopath is always also a sociopath, but a sociopath is necessarily not a psychopath, because if they were, they'd just be a psychopath, lol).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    PJ_Soul said:

Let's just agree not to respond to each other from now on.  I see your comments/opinions as worthless as you see mine, but at least I live in the country of which I speak.
    This is almost poetic. Read your comment out loud in an English accent. It's very dignified, and an admirable way to end an argument. 
    Are you joking?? That last part is the exact opposite of admirable, and reflective of a fair bit of ignorance.
    Half-joking. It's more the language of the sentence than the actual content that I like. Sounds like something a you'd hear in the play Hamilton or something. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Read more lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

It does.

Illegal.
    Legal.

That is it.
    Does that make Kate Steinle's family evil and psychopaths too?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    rgambs said:
    Read more lol
    Is this directed at me because you posted it directly after my post? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:

economically. 

Yikes.

It does.

Illegal.
    Legal.

That is it.
    Does that make Kate Steinle's family evil and psychopaths too?
    U

I don't understand this comment.  Do you mean because the family sued immigration or because the family slammed Trumpfour using her as a political pawn?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I mean because an illegal killed her.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    unsung said:
    "An illegal"

Illegal is not a fucking noun.  A human being cannot be "an illegal."  
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    unsung said:
    "An illegal"

Sure it can, Chief.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    I once heard of a man who some might refer to as an illegal human being.  He was made from stolen parts and, conceived under dubious circumstances and was sometimes referred to as a "bastard".

I believe the word "illegal" as used above is an adjective.  In fact, I'd bet a thousand bucks its an adjective.

Now let's look at the word "vinyls".  To put it bluntly, there is no fucking thing such as "vinyls".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsung said:
    "An illegal"

Sorry, illegal alien.
  • Options
    Queue the outer space pic, it is inevitable and another Ayers tactic.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    "An illegal"

Sorry, illegal alien.
    never really understood using "alien" in this context. what's wrong with immigrant?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    "An illegal"

Sorry, illegal alien.
    never really understood using "alien" in this context. what's wrong with immigrant?
    It's an old school term that has been bastardized now.  The term that is supposed to be used is "undocumented".  The term immigrant or alien is now faux pas.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    "An illegal"

Sorry, illegal alien.
    It's an old school term that has been bastardized now.  The term that is supposed to be used is "undocumented".  The term immigrant or alien is now faux pas.
    I thought undocumented was just an adjective, not a noun. I thought it was "undocumented immigrant". not just undocumented. since when is immigrant a faux pas?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    "An illegal"

Sorry, illegal alien.
    I thought undocumented was just an adjective, not a noun. I thought it was "undocumented immigrant". not just undocumented. since when is immigrant a faux pas?
    Undocumented worker or immigrant.  Alien is the bad one, sorry.
  • Options
    Boy did this thread die.  
  • Options
    Boy did this thread die.  
    At the very least, it went wildly astray.  That never happens here, haha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Boy did this thread die.  
    At the very least, it went wildly astray.  That never happens here, haha!
    People were angry and hurt then an executive order came and a SCOTUS is retiring so people are pissed off at that now...  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    To be fair, sometimes people have just said everything they have to say on a subject. I don't think of these threads as necessarily being a way for us to continually repeat how upset we are about something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    battan1120 wrote:
    Illegal immigrants will soon be known as undocumented democrats
    that's really funny rush. i seem to remember in 2000 and 2004 the latino community was heavily in favor of bush...
    Maybe someone mentioned it already, but I’m lazy..  There’s a new Harvard poll out saying Trump’s approval amongst Hispanics is up 10 points. 

Take that with a grain of salt, like any other poll, but I don’t think it’s crazy to say that those who played by the rules may not be so thrilled with those who don’t. 
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    battan1120 wrote:
    that's really funny rush. i seem to remember in 2000 and 2004 the latino community was heavily in favor of bush...
    Maybe someone mentioned it already, but I’m lazy..  There’s a new Harvard poll out saying Trump’s approval amongst Hispanics is up 10 points. 

Take that with a grain of salt, like any other poll, but I don’t think it’s crazy to say that those who played by the rules may not be so thrilled with those who don’t. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Holy multiple posts
    Post edited by DPrival78 on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    DPrival78 said:
    battan1120 wrote:

Completely. Caesar Chavez was actually against illegal immigration, as they competed with legal workers and lowered their pay as a result. But he’s somehow become the symbol for illegal immigration for some too.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    DPrival78 said:
    battan1120 wrote:

Completely. Caesar Chavez was actually against illegal immigration, as they competed with legal workers and lowered their pay as a result. But he’s somehow become the symbol for illegal immigration for some too.
    " Caesar Chavez was actually against illegal immigration"  This is true.

"he’s somehow become the symbol for illegal immigration for some"  This I've never heard.

But would Cesar Chavez have supported Trump.  Would he have agreed with separating children from their parents? 

• Options
    edited June 2018
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    DPrival78 said:
    battan1120 wrote:

"he’s somehow become the symbol for illegal immigration for some"  This I've never heard.

But would Cesar Chavez have supported Trump.  Would he have agreed with separating children from their parents? 

I said that middle part because I lived in LA and San Diego for most of my life. I saw many demonstrations and marches down the freeway, school-wide walkouts over immigration.
    Almost all of them I would see people holding banners with his name or chanting “Chavez” as they marched down.
    Maybe it wasn’t a national thing, but down in LA and San Diegothey definitely threw his name around all the time from what I saw and experienced.
    I remember being in school myself and as a college student, observing high school classrooms at the time or a substitute teacher when these marches first became a thing, and word would spread that people are marching and students would just get up and run out of campus yelling “Caesar Chavez!!”
    But to answer your wueatuon, I doubt he would support Trump in separating the children. Most republicans didn’t support that either.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    DPrival78 said:
    battan1120 wrote:

I said that middle part because I lived in LA and San Diego for most of my life. I saw many demonstrations and marches down the freeway, school-wide walkouts over immigration.
    Almost all of them I would see people holding banners with his name or chanting “Chavez” as they marched down.
    Maybe it wasn’t a national thing, but down in LA and San Diegothey definitely threw his name around all the time from what I saw and experienced.
    I remember being in school myself and as a college student, observing high school classrooms at the time or a substitute teacher when these marches first became a thing, and word would spread that people are marching and students would just get up and run out of campus yelling “Caesar Chavez!!”
    But to answer your wueatuon, I doubt he would support Trump in separating the children. Most republicans didn’t support that either.
    Sure took them a long time to voice their displeasure. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    DPrival78 said:
    battan1120 wrote:

Sure took them a long time to voice their displeasure. 
    I remember many republican politicians voicing their dislike of the policy. Although I'm sure there were some, I can't think of anyone who said they liked what was going on.
    Some news reports on Fox tried to downplay it, but most people don't count what they say anyway, so why start now?
  • Options
    edited June 2018