Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,623
    I was going to post that and decided not to.  It's a bad look for sure.

Thankfully this is an isolated incident.  If more things like this happen the cops will make it hell for them.
    Is it isolated though?  Or did we just hear about it because it was police that were assaulted?   
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,627

Thankfully this is an isolated incident.  If more things like this happen the cops will make it hell for them.
    Isolated yes.  The fact that they weren't back in their home country within 24 hours is ridiculous...let alone no bail for attacking a police officer. 
    No bail for attacking a police officer is great until a police officer lies about being attacked. 
    Are you speaking from the hip here?  There is film footage of 12 people kicking and punching at the cops...

I take back what I said and like Cincy, send em back.
    I’m speaking about a general policy which is what I inferred from Cincy’s comment. 
    I’m all for deporting criminal immigrants, but as I understand it, the 6th amendment applies to non-citizens as well as citizens, so there still has to be due process. 
    I am a bit confused by your statement.  If you are saying don't just immediately deport....I can see that, I disagree, but I understand.  If you are saying setting bail for people that attack cops isn't ok....I wouldn't agree.  It's the bare minimum that can be done.
    I may have misunderstood your comment... I thought you were saying there should be no bail in a case of someone attacking a police officer. If I understood it correctly, then my point stands... I don't agree that people should be held indefinitely based on the word alone of a police officer that he was attacked. I don't think ACAB, but I'm also not naive enough to think cops never lie. 

In this particular case, if there's clear cut evidence of the released men having attacked the police, then the DA's decision to grant bail defies logic.

Regarding immediate deportation without due process, that would be unconstitutional. People who are here legally are entitled to 6th amendment rights. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,304

Is it isolated though?  Or did we just hear about it because it was police that were assaulted?   
    We would for sure hear about it.  I walk by the hotels in the city frequently and nothing has happened when I was there.

I would be the first to post it but like I said, was an isolated incident.  If  more arise then people will get fed up with that real quick.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,152

Isolated yes.  The fact that they weren't back in their home country within 24 hours is ridiculous...let alone no bail for attacking a police officer. 
    No bail for attacking a police officer is great until a police officer lies about being attacked. 
    Are you speaking from the hip here?  There is film footage of 12 people kicking and punching at the cops...

I’m speaking about a general policy which is what I inferred from Cincy’s comment. 
    I’m all for deporting criminal immigrants, but as I understand it, the 6th amendment applies to non-citizens as well as citizens, so there still has to be due process. 
    I am a bit confused by your statement.  If you are saying don't just immediately deport....I can see that, I disagree, but I understand.  If you are saying setting bail for people that attack cops isn't ok....I wouldn't agree.  It's the bare minimum that can be done.
    I may have misunderstood your comment... I thought you were saying there should be no bail in a case of someone attacking a police officer. If I understood it correctly, then my point stands... I don't agree that people should be held indefinitely based on the word alone of a police officer that he was attacked. I don't think ACAB, but I'm also not naive enough to think cops never lie. 

In this particular case, if there's clear cut evidence of the released men having attacked the police, then the DA's decision to grant bail defies logic.

Regarding immediate deportation without due process, that would be unconstitutional. People who are here legally are entitled to 6th amendment rights. 
    Ah in this case they didn't ask for bail and they were released pending trial...or whatever.  My opinion is if you attack a police officer always set bail...as it is allowed within the law.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 6

Ah in this case they didn't ask for bail and they were released pending trial...or whatever.  My opinion is if you attack a police officer always set bail...as it is allowed within the law.
    Gotcha. I definitely misunderstood that angle to it, my bad. 

Yeah... that's f'ed up. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442
    Nobody wants to talk about how the republicans have a pretty easy way of helping this problem, but are choosing not to, for political reasons? 

We're all on the same page about them being disingenuous about literally every issue that can possible existincluding the one they claim to care most about?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Nobody wants to talk about how the republicans have a pretty easy way of helping this problem, but are choosing not to, for political reasons? 

We're all on the same page about them being disingenuous about literally every issue that can possible existincluding the one they claim to care most about?
    It's truly remarkable how conservative voters are being played on this issue and they just don't care. 

Trump & the GOP had 2 years to get things done and couldn't,. But sure... somehow the next time will be different.  :D 
  • Options

It's truly remarkable how conservative voters are being played on this issue and they just don't care. 

Trump & the GOP had 2 years to get things done and couldn't,. But sure... somehow the next time will be different.  :D 
    No kidding.  It's a dereliction of duty.  Bunch of voters pretending to hate the government...hate politics....100% ok with their elected officials doing nothing when they have a chance at helping an issue they say is a priority....because it may serve a political purpose in a freakin year????

And people buy the bullshit when someone purposely not doing their job to blame someone else for a problem.  These same fuckers go on facebook or sit at the bar complaining to their friends about their co-workers and bosses that behave that way.  So frustrating.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042

And letting an undocumented immigrant go without bail who can just disappear is the same as giving him a free pass. They will never show up to court and they knew it, and decided to let them go anyway. They they try to claim they take violence against police seriously in a press release. They clearly don't. 
  • Options

No kidding.  It's a dereliction of duty.  Bunch of voters pretending to hate the government...hate politics....100% ok with their elected officials doing nothing when they have a chance at helping an issue they say is a priority....because it may serve a political purpose in a freakin year????

And people buy the bullshit when someone purposely not doing their job to blame someone else for a problem.  These same fuckers go on facebook or sit at the bar complaining to their friends about their co-workers and bosses that behave that way.  So frustrating.
    The democrats must actively take control of this issue this year. We have absolute 100% proof that these fuckers are not interested in solving the problem at this point.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,623
    edited February 6

Shouldn't get bail regardless of whether it is a cop or not.  You assault any person, the punishment should be consistent.  
  • Options

Shouldn't get bail regardless of whether it is a cop or not.  You assault any person, the punishment should be consistent.  
    Release without bail shouldn't be an option for assault. But I'm okay with harsher penalties for certain groups. Assaulting a public official, a judge, cop, a child, hate crime, etc all should factor into the penalty. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,283
    penalty before conviction. alrighty then....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Well I think the confusion here is despite it being an offense that the DA can request bail, he did not. If bail is not requested they are let go until trial or whatever next step is. So they just disappeared.

that’s what I mean when in this case they should set bail. I could agree however with your premise of no bail, but then you must be kept in custody.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Being held pending trial isn’t penalty before conviction. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,931
    mickeyrat said:
    So the guy who choked out the other on the subway should be held at Rikers pending trial, right?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited February 6
    mickeyrat said:
    You believe in letting accused rapists and murderers roam free until after the trial and verdict? Based on your comment it would seem that you do. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,921
    mickeyrat said:
    So the guy who choked out the other on the subway should be held at Rikers pending trial, right?
    What about what about. Anything to fit your political outlook. Whatever happened to just what’s right is right? I know you hate cops but letting people go without bail after assaulting a police officer doesn’t set a good precedent. Get out of you political bubble for once and use some common sense. 
  • Options
    edited February 6
    mickeyrat said:
    That is exactly what I am saying....  :anguished:
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 6
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    What about what about. Anything to fit your political outlook. Whatever happened to just what’s right is right? I know you hate cops but letting people go without bail after assaulting a police officer doesn’t set a good precedent. Get out of you political bubble for once and use some common sense. 
    Listen to you yourself. Simple assault on a cop, or anybody, if you don’t want to play favourites, should result in being held at Rikers pending trial, the average stay of which is 110 days? So, 110 days in jail to be found innocent, a potential outcome, correct? Where were you on this issue when the guy choked out the other and was released pending arraignment and trial? Crickets. Someone else posted equating assault with rape and murder. Listen to yourselves. The blood lust is thick.

And sure, I hate cops. Good grief.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Listen to you yourself. Simple assault on a cop, or anybody, if you don’t want to play favourites, should result in being held at Rikers pending trial, the average stay of which is 110 days? So, 110 days in jail to be found innocent, a potential outcome, correct? Where were you on this issue when the guy choked out the other and was released pending arraignment and trial? Crickets. Someone else posted equating assault with rape and murder. Listen to yourselves. The blood lust is thick.
    Very thick. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Very thick. 
    Then POOTWH is your man.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    That is exactly what I am saying....  :anguished:
    So choking someone out to death is equal to simple assault on a police officer, or anyone. Good to know.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Sounds like some would be all for hangings in the public square. Maybe use a crane and skip the gallows. Hell, who needs criminal laws on the books, just make it up as you go depending on circumstances. 

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited February 6
    I’m not for holding everyone in jail pending trial. But this no bail trend is ridiculous. Bail is meant to let you keep living your life while providing some insurance that you will appear.

Courts are supposed to take many things into consideration. Seriousness of the crime, ties to the community, flight risk, risk to the community, even evidence against them, etc when setting bail. An undocumented immigrant with zero ties to the community and who can just disappear is a huge “flight risk” with video evidence of them committing the crime It would be fair to say the risk is too high given the circumstances and keep the person detained, or at the very least a very high bail to ensure they do in fact appear.

But no, bail is considered unfair these days. So just let them walk without consequence. Everyone deserves a chance to beat up a cop now and then.

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Very thick. 
    Then POOTWH is your man.
    Yes obviously. 
  • Options
    edited February 6
    In a thread about immigration that has been around for a decade and a half, it's pretty strange to me that there is hardly any conversation about the current bill that could very well improve things quite a bit that republicans, who never shut up about the issue, are about to kill for purely political purposes. 

Nobody wants to talk about how full of shit that party is? 

I mean if immigration is important to you, where is the outrage over the one party that is suddenly disinclined to do anything about the issue they claim to care about most?
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,283
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    You believe in letting accused rapists and murderers roam free until after the trial and verdict? Based on your comment it would seem that you do. 

guess it begins with due process, and what you know the reason for bail to be in theory.

and no. to your off base assumptions.

and based off your statement I can reasonably infer you do not believe in the premise of innocent until proven guilty.....

your statement quite clearly suggests punishment(penalty) prior to conviction.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,304
    In a thread about immigration that has been around for a decade and a half, it's pretty strange to me that there is hardly any conversation about the current bill that could very well improve things quite a bit that republicans, who never shut up about the issue, are about to kill for purely political purposes. 

I mean if immigration is important to you, where is the outrage over the one party that is suddenly disinclined to do anything about the issue they claim to care about most?
    We have a few pages back.  
  • Options

Yeah… the silence about the GOP Border “Crisis” is deafening, both here and in the real world.