Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,345
    mickeyrat said:
    So, 4 times in the last 20 years, Republicans have killed bipartisan immigration reform.

That’s a decades long trend there… and people are still going to vote GOP because an immigrant beat up a cop in NY. It’s irrelevant that trump directed his mob to beat up the CPD on 1/6, those police don’t matter. It’s the cops getting beat up by immigrants that matter, so vote trump… he’s gonna build that wall. 

oh it goes back to Reagan. He offered amnesty with the provision congress would reform the system. they never did. its been a boogieman ever since.

My belief is the "Pro-business" party needs to look out for their cronies and have that steady supply of Highly exploitable undocumented labor.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,154
    mickeyrat said:
    So, 4 times in the last 20 years, Republicans have killed bipartisan immigration reform.

That’s a decades long trend there… and people are still going to vote GOP because an immigrant beat up a cop in NY. It’s irrelevant that trump directed his mob to beat up the CPD on 1/6, those police don’t matter. It’s the cops getting beat up by immigrants that matter, so vote trump… he’s gonna build that wall. 
    Are you talking about people here or in general? 

I'm confused as to why talking about a recent event is not welcome on this forum.  I don't think many were making it about immigration as a whole, but in how the court system failed in that specific incident and how weird it is to allow people with no home, job etc keeping them in an area to be given no bail and allowed to skip out on beating up an officer of the law. A failure of the NYC justice system...that's it. And a surprise for me.

It seems if it doesn't fit the narrative it is blow off as bullshit overreaction.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,645
    edited February 8
    mickeyrat said:

I'm confused as to why talking about a recent event is not welcome on this forum.  I don't think many were making it about immigration as a whole, but in how the court system failed in that specific incident and how weird it is to allow people with no home, job etc keeping them in an area to be given no bail and allowed to skip out on beating up an officer of the law. A failure of the NYC justice system...that's it. And a surprise for me.

It seems if it doesn't fit the narrative it is blow off as bullshit overreaction.  
    It was made an immigration issue when it was posted in the immigration thread. 

& I'm talking about conservatives in general, and maybe people in this thread? IDK... I've seen more conservative outrage over what the DA did here than I did over 1/6 or the recent bullshit from the GOP, so I really don't know. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    edited February 8
    "What was going on in the summer of 2020 that made crime spike again? You think it was all the pandemic still, the thing that dropped crime suddenly made crime spike?"

MILLIONS of people lost their jobs. MILLIONS of people were isolated from their friends, families and co-workers. 

Saying a once in a lifetime pandemic that completely altered the face of the planet for multiple years only "probably" played a role is disingenuous to me. I'm sorry. It just is. 

Ignoring the fact that crime is now decreasing, albeit not at the rate any of us would like...seems disingenuous as well. 

And ignoring the fact that republicans had a chance TODAY to solve, or at least put a big dent, the border problem also seems disingenuous. to me. 

The pandemic lowered crime for the first half of the year. It is not disingenuous to think the civil unrest, protests, increased distrust in police, demand for police defunding, etc that was going on in the summer likely played a bigger role in the increase of crime that the pandemic which lowered crime for the first half of the year. Millions of people did lose their jobs and were isolated, that doesn't mean the civil unrest in the summer didn't happen though. The drop of crime aligns with the shut down, the rise in crime aligns with the protests. It's not disingenuous to point that out. The pandemic caused many things. Loss of jobs, financial hardships, depression, isolation, deaths, anxiety. Crime just wasn't one of them. At least not at the beginning, and not until there was a lot of other things already going on that also contributed to crime. 

We were talking about crime in relation to loosened bail laws, so I didn't comment on the bill. I have no doubt many of the republicans are holding back so they can use the border issue during the election. 
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,440
    edited February 8
    Hmmm, and I thought mentally unstable beings easily obtaining firearms was part of the problem as well.  

Edit….forgot this - Donald Trump should be blamed solely for civil unrest.  

You forgot the guns and Trump.  
    Post edited by cblock4life on
  • Options
    Hmmm, and I thought mentally unstable beings easily obtaining firearms was part of the problem as well.  

no. no it isnt. otherwise we would fund mental health services,  we dont so thats not the reason...

more thoughts more prayers. that shoukd do it.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

& I'm talking about conservatives in general, and maybe people in this thread? IDK... I've seen more conservative outrage over what the DA did here than I did over 1/6 or the recent bullshit from the GOP, so I really don't know. 
    Now that is just bullshit. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 
    Well I hit send before I was done and got distracted.

For people here, except for a very few individuals way more outrage and discussion over 1/6 and immigration as a whole for sure.

If you are comparing to the general public I'm not sure what you expect.  It has been the same for a long time now due to Trump and his followers.  I honestly didn;t see anything national about the NYC case, as I said I saw it on local news when in NYC.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

For people here, except for a very few individuals way more outrage and discussion over 1/6 and immigration as a whole for sure.

If you are comparing to the general public I'm not sure what you expect.  It has been the same for a long time now due to Trump and his followers.  I honestly didn;t see anything national about the NYC case, as I said I saw it on local news when in NYC.
    Respectfully, I stand by what I said. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

Cool.  I respectfully disagree.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,973
    mickeyrat said:

Ask mace. Maybe they can explain why it was posted in the immigration thread (maybe because it’s about the “other?”):

don't know if this is a better fit here on the police abuse thread. Heard about this over the weekend.
    https://abc7ny.com/nyc-crime-officers-attacked-time-square-nypd/14380425/

But it's a joke. Attack police officers, and let go without bail, and, shockingly, are now nowhere to be found. We have to be a joke to the rest of the world. I mean, I know we already are, but this has to be added to the list. Come here, assault police, and nothing happens to you. In what other civilized country can that happen in? 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

I know I didn't comment much on 1/6, and didn't comment on the immigration bill until Juggler specifically mentioned that I hadn't because I don't see the need to repeat what has already been said 100 times. If I don't have a differing opinion or something new to add to the conversation, I generally don't say anything. That doesn't mean I was okay with what happened. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

Fair enough.  

We at least agree the GOP wants the border situation to stay the same because it's too an important an issue for them come election time, right? All their bloviating and bullshit about border security is nonsense, that's been confirmed this last week; we can at least agree on that much, no? 
  • Options

I do agree w/ Mace's assertion that we're a joke to the rest of the world, but probably for different reasons if I had to guess. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

Fair enough.  

We at least agree the GOP wants the border situation to stay the same because it's too an important an issue for them come election time, right? All their bloviating and bullshit about border security is nonsense, that's been confirmed this last week; we can at least agree on that much, no? 
    With this GOP? Absolutely. Take a look back at my post in this thread if you don’t believe me 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 8
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

Fair enough.  

With this GOP? Absolutely. Take a look back at my post in this thread if you don’t believe me 
    If by 'this' GOP you mean since 2016 as you previously noted, that ignores 2 decades worth of not just inaction, but actively shutting down bipartisan border measures. 

It's no different than gun violence... it doesn't matter that the status quo is bad for America, it's good for the GOP's bottom line; they've confirmed as much these last 20+ years with all their inaction. This is their MO. This is who 'the' GOP has been for decades, not just since trump. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

Fair enough.  

If by 'this' GOP you mean since 2016 as you previously noted, that ignores 2 decades worth of not just inaction, but actively shutting down bipartisan border measures. 

It's no different than gun violence... it doesn't matter that the status quo is bad for America, it's good for the GOP's bottom line; they've confirmed as much these last 20+ years with all their inaction. This is their MO. This is who 'the' GOP has been for decades, not just since trump. 
    I went to Italy with a small group of friends around 2009/2010. Some of them had dual citizenship with Canada, and they always get their passport through Canada so people don't know they're American when they travel.
    I learned why. Some guy, who we had zero interaction with , cussed us out at a bus stop when we got there. All I could understand was a repeated "F*** Bush," the rest in Italian. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

Fair enough.  

I went to Italy with a small group of friends around 2009/2010. Some of them had dual citizenship with Canada, and they always get their passport through Canada so people don't know they're American when they travel.
    I learned why. Some guy, who we had zero interaction with , cussed us out at a bus stop when we got there. All I could understand was a repeated "F*** Bush," the rest in Italian. 
    Cool. I've also traveled internationally and had people trash Bush (and trump more recently) in front of me knowing full well where I was from. 

Is it possible, maybe we're a joke to the rest of the world because we elect people like Bush and trump? 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,368
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

Fair enough.  

Cool. I've also traveled internationally and had people trash Bush (and trump more recently) in front of me knowing full well where I was from. 

Is it possible, maybe we're a joke to the rest of the world because we elect people like Bush and trump? 
    I have friends in Barbados that ask about Trump and others that loved him...
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

Fair enough.  

I have friends in Barbados that ask about Trump and others that loved him...
    That’s fair. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,131
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Ok 

Fair enough.  

My wife and daughter went to Scotland a few years back...the people there couldn't understand how we elected tRump. One guy even said "it's because of the rednecks isn't it?"
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,454
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Try telling that to the cult. I dare you.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    edited February 10
    I look forward to those who called for bail and holding folks at Rikers until their court appearance to explain the buh, buh, buh what about, what about, what about and how they just love cops despite all their corruption and rot. Can’t wait for their posts explaining how the cops were within their rights, blah, blah, blah. POOTWH’s their man, that’s established. And we were told, “it couldn’t happen in ‘Murica.”

Tell us again how NYC is falling, please?

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options