Options

*** Bristow, VA Fanviews Here 5/13/10 ***

Comments

• Options
    Philly has spoiled me lately. Love the band, love the music. Great 10C seats, absolutely amazing. The crowd was horrible. It's bad when EV has to ask if we were there and he has to get the front row going. Hate Nissan, Jiffy Lube, will think hard about ever going out there again. Can't wait for MSG next week.
    Things were different then, all is different now.
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    my 31st show!

last show was halloween

i had a great time at bristow! it was ALOT of fun!

i wasnt sure what to expect from the setlists on this tour, but as always, it was an excellent evening!

had great seats...between stone + ed row T

our section of people around us were all dancing and singing/screaming along to most all the songs all night long!

met some cool people around us who had been to other pj shows

highlights for me-

spin the black circle,
    brain of j,
    sonic reducer,
    down,
    all those yesterdays,
    the end,
    BLACK,
    why go,
    blood,
    garden

at the start of YL i got up front :D

thanks 10c + pj for everything

up next...Boston
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,066
    Lawn and behind 10C seating was LOUD. Kudos.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,091
    Dayum, was really hopeing for present tense in hartford.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    Postcard73Postcard73 Posts: 3
    This was my fifth Pearl Jam show though I've seen tons of concerts from other bands (around 150 total). I thought the crowd was really blah for the main set. I actually thought it was one of the least energetic crowds I'd ever seen for any concert. Fortunately the place woke up for the encores. I personally think part of the problem was that it was cold! I almost left my jacket in my car. I am so glad I decided to wear it. I danced (actually, what I do would probably be better described as a full body twitch) the entire show and never came close to getting hot.

Musically I thought the band played great although I agree the sound was kinda screwy. I'm not a fan of the Jiffy Lube Pavilion. I swore a few years ago I would never go back but how could I miss this show? I enjoyed the Elderly Woman opener- cool song to start with. Faithfull and Blood were highlights for me. Present Tense smoked.

Oh, and if the band is reading this, you have my permission to play Spin the Black Circle every time I see you. :D
  • Options
    pj622pj622 Posts: 110
    absolutely amazing show last night!! i have no complaints!

I do have one question though.... i cannot remember! Does anyone know the song that was played right when they left the stage for the last time when everyone started to leave? I think i remember the lyrics having something to do with New York City streets..... help please!
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    edited May 2010
    More later. Just got back home.
    I loved the setlist!
    This was my 5th show.
    Sat behind the sound booth. It sounded fine to me. first time I was able to understand eddie. So that’s saying something.
    BUT bad Ed I can’t believe he said that! I knew he was drunk, but omg I can’t believe he said that. (the kill yourself thing. in no context is that ok) I see now from reading he did take it back real fast. i thought he did but i wasn't sure. that's what matters. He immediately corrected himself.

BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Unbelievable I saw that live. :mrgreen:

other favs: garden, spin the black circle

stone was rocking out! cool to see him move around more.

Kudos to the venue for fixing my ticket. (I use a wheelchair and rather bug the venue than 10c for ADA seats)
    But shame I was hassled when using the security restroom as told. Put in a Family Restroom! (I told customer service)

Waves to Beverley!

Personally I prefer Bristow to Verizon Center for the actual concert experience (I like outdoors better).

i agree.

is bristow about the same size of the va beach amp? because i don't think people fuss about those pj concerts.
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    FrankBauerFrankBauer Posts: 448
    was one of the fools with a camera...got a pretty good quality vid of Ed doing The End. not sure why but the upload looks crappy on youtube. original in HD. wish i wouldve recorded more songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvD_zoF4URQ
  • Options
    is bristow about the same size of the va beach amp? because i don't think people fuss about those pj concerts.

Layout looks kind of similar but Bristow is definitely bigger. Bristow holds 25,000 while VA Beach only holds 20,000. The last time PJ played Bristow EV said they preferred Merriweather but then in '06 and '08 they booked the Verizon Center downtown. It appears they would have played there again but for scheduling issues with the NHL. I never thought they would go back to Bristow after EV's comments in 2003 but you never can tell.
    Is a Compliment For You.
    1998 Va. Beach ~~ 2000 Va. Beach ~~ Columbia, Md. ~~ 2003 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2006 DC ~~ 2008 Va. Beach ~~ DC ~~ 
    2010 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2013 Charlottesville, Va. ~~ 2016 Hampton, Va. ~~ Fenway 1 & 2 ~~ Wrigley 1 & 2 ~~
    2022 Nashville ~~ St. Louis ~~ Oklahoma City ~~ 2023 St. Paul 1 & 2 ~~ Austin 1 & 2 ~~ Upcoming 2024  TBD...
  • Options

Layout looks kind of similar but Bristow is definitely bigger. Bristow holds 25,000 while VA Beach only holds 20,000. The last time PJ played Bristow EV said they preferred Merriweather but then in '06 and '08 they booked the Verizon Center downtown. It appears they would have played there again but for scheduling issues with the NHL. I never thought they would go back to Bristow after EV's comments in 2003 but you never can tell.

i see. thanks for the info.
    lol.......maybe that was one more reason ed was wound up last night. he didn't like the place.

• Options
    here's an article about the PiL show Ed was talking about.
    http://dcist.com/2010/05/public_image_ltd_930_club.php

• Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Alright. The setlist was amazing because I really do love everysong. Faithful is my favorite and all those yesterdays is one I thought I'd never hear. I love this band. But the crowd was a joke and the same for the sound. Brain of j, another gem I thought I'd never hear, was a good example of the sound. I didn't know what song it was until the singing started. The main riff was impossible to hear..the same with save you. Just disapointing. Not blaming the band. Just bad sound.
    Pretty sure vedder was borderline black out...I mean. My buddy was with me for his first show and was like "wow your boy is a wreck". Btw my friend has a lot of lobbyist friends and we got a real kick out of ev's rants.

All in all this is not people being snobs. I think crowd interaction and sound quality can effect a show a lot.
    I've never seen a show where everyone completely bailed at the first note of Ledbetter.

I am spoiled by so many great shows and can't wait fir the next.

And I called small town as an opener..DC bubble;)
  • Options
    kevinstepkevinstep Michigan Posts: 28
    edited May 2010
    Sorry about your lack of atmosphere...should have been in Cleveland..got your backspacer tunes....Sonic Reducer,,??? please....you are lucky. side note....if Jeff is having tech problems...pretty sure he is gonna address them before yellow...fool..... and the following songs....yea...must be CLUNKERS.....motorcityNOTHINman....joke
    Spin the black circle,
    brain of j,
    sonic reducer,
    down,
    all those yesterdays,
    the end,
    BLACK,
    why go,
    blood,
    garden

No atmosphere in Nissan Pavillion, it's just too big. The band couldn't read the crowd because they could barely see or hear them.

Slight sound problems a few times, it sounded like the drum was doubling, that messed up Save You and a couple others. Could see Jeff talking to someone off stage about it during the Ledbetter wrap up.

An early start and finish because of the curfew, but 2:30 on the dot of play. Again, this venue is a disaster to get in and out of (unless you dropped $ 30 like me to get out of the vip lot), but PJ had to book it because MCI had to be saved for the Caps, should they have advanced.

An interesting set, but a few clunkers mixed in. Insignificance isn't a bad song, but they have too many others that are better. The same can be said for Sonic Reducer. Seemed to be oddly light on Backspacer tunes. How bout Gonna See My Friend and Force of Nature instead of the 2 mentioned.

Thrilled to see Down and Faithfull, left wanting a few more Backspacers and Leash at the end. Problem was, it was a bigger crowd in a bigger city that didn't know nearly half of the songs that were played.
    Post edited by kevinstep on
    Detroit Masonic Temple March 94 was my first show...Detroit Joe Louis Arena 2014 was my 39th show...Saw both Maui 98 shows...and loved all the shows in between...this band rules. I like to give stuff away...remember my name for contest posts. CHEERS!!! Pearl Jam...It's like church, but better.
  • Options
    kevinstepkevinstep Michigan Posts: 28
    Love you...I was at Cleveland..great show...nicest set i have seen in a while...but i agree....all you fuckers are LUCKY that PJ has dunno 100 plus songs to choose from and ACTUALLY play.....go see another band...get your same 11 song set....soooooooo FUUUUUUCK OFFFF!!!!!!
    A dump truck could dump a load of wet mushy cow shit on you before a pearl jam show and they could play an entire set of evenflow over and over and over..... and you'd still be witnessing the fucking greatest band on the planet.... and it will still be the best show you will see all year... period.

Lots of whiny prima donna's around here lately it seems.

Take what you get and shut the fuck up

Thank you :D:D
    Detroit Masonic Temple March 94 was my first show...Detroit Joe Louis Arena 2014 was my 39th show...Saw both Maui 98 shows...and loved all the shows in between...this band rules. I like to give stuff away...remember my name for contest posts. CHEERS!!! Pearl Jam...It's like church, but better.
  • Options
    Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    iluvcats wrote:
    did anyone post the review from the Washington Post? Here it is:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/clicktra ... id=artslot

"Lead guitarist Mike McCready, however, was a major distraction." WTF?!?!!!???!!! Forget the comments after the article -- what is wrong with that reporter?!??!!!
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Options
    RF753RF753 Posts: 18
    iluvcats wrote:
    where's that smiley icon where it wears shades and has a cigarette hanging out of its mouth?
    that's how I feel today after seeing them last night. I'm singing this one line from bush, "I don't want to come back down from this cloud."

:)

iluvbush

WE HAVE BUSH
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Catwoman1 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

"Lead guitarist Mike McCready, however, was a major distraction." WTF?!?!!!???!!! Forget the comments after the article -- what is wrong with that reporter?!??!!!

I think those remarks are typical when the reporter does not know what they are talking about.

Those mentioning the sound -- earplugs people. you can hear better with earplugs!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i will never understand why people run to a keyboard RIGHT after a concert to post how the concert was, try and enjoy the moment and wait until at least the next day... but anyway i guess that is 21st century rock and roll, as lame as it may be :lol:
  • Options
    IC188161IC188161 Posts: 53
    RF753 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    where's that smiley icon where it wears shades and has a cigarette hanging out of its mouth?
    that's how I feel today after seeing them last night. I'm singing this one line from bush, "I don't want to come back down from this cloud."

:)

iluvbush

WE HAVE BUSH

Hair pie!!!!
  • Options
    RS5479RS5479 Posts: 3
      I thought PJ showed a lot of energy. All the bickering about the set list...you're never going to hear every song that you want...their catalog is way too big. I thought it was a great set list with a good mix. A lot of bands pretty much play the same set throughout a tour. PJ always gives you variety and they deserve credit for that. Insignificance has never been one of my favorites but I was blown away by it. And there were lots of surprises with All Those Yesterdays, Sonic Reducer (which rocked), Garden, Brain of J and Blood. It was heavy on Yield, too. And you're not going to get Small Town as an opener very often---which was a surprise. JLL isn't the best venue in the area ... but I think they couldn't play Verizon b/c the Caps possibly needing it for the playoffs. The bickering about Ledbetter...they've closed six of the eight shows I've seen with it and I'm not going to complain. It's a traditional showstopper. Great seats. Thanks 10C and I'll be there when you return to DC down the road.
    • Options
      What's the Bush remarks? You guys don't remember Bush (Gavin Rossdale?) It's a song from Sixteen Stone called "Comedown." I listened to them before Pearl Jam.

I am coming down from that cloud sadly reading this sort of negative thread.
      9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
      10/10 - Brad in B'more
    • Options
      my2hands wrote:
      i will never understand why people run to a keyboard RIGHT after a concert to post how the concert was, try and enjoy the moment and wait until at least the next day... but anyway i guess that is 21st century rock and roll, as lame as it may be :lol:

we ran to the parking lot during YL b/c we're not real fans and we live 70 miles from bristow.
      10/10 - Brad in B'more
    • Options
      whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
      Thanks Ten Club for 10th row lottery. I was tenth row dead center, by far the closest ive ever been. The sound was great; it was an outside show and as such the sound is always better in those because they are designed for concerts. The crowed did sound dead, combination of it being not loud and being outside. The people in front of me in the front center in front of the stage didnt even clap between songs.
      But, the first half dozen songs were as hard rocking as ive ever seen them (it was my sixth show). Great setlist and high energy the entire night. Great weather by the way, coulda been a lot hotter.
    • Options
      stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
      Catwoman1 wrote:
      iluvcats wrote:

I read that as a GOOD thing. He is distracting because he is animated and fun to watch and makes you forget there are other guys on stage...
    • Options
      stpmattb wrote:
      Catwoman1 wrote:
      iluvcats wrote:

I read that as a GOOD thing. He is distracting because he is animated and fun to watch and makes you forget there are other guys on stage...

where were you? usually I see you at shows, Concert King! This time, I didn't.
      10/10 - Brad in B'more
    • Options
      you keep talking about Bush, and i'm gonna havta start braging. ;)

mike distracting? wtf? i love all the movement on the stage.

when was that venue built?

i'm still loving that they played blood! :mrgreen:

• Options
      you keep talking about Bush, and i'm gonna havta start braging. ;)

mike distracting? wtf? i love all the movement on the stage.

when was that venue built?

i'm still loving that they played blood! :mrgreen:

Blondie and I have both met Gavin Rossdale!

I believe it was built in 1995.
      10/10 - Brad in B'more
    • Options
      how come the poster says washington, dc?
    • Options
      Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
      I noticed a nice little moment during between Stone and Mike during Sonic Reducer that any good Pearl Jam geek would appriciate. Over the years, it's never really been set in stone who exactly takes the solo in the song. I remember it was Mike in the early years but it's been Stone on most recent Sonic Reducers I've listened to. Anyway, when it was time for the solo, Mike was still playing the riff because I guess it was Stone who was going to do the solo. He looked over at Stone and even gave him a little point as if to say "go ahead" but Stone was ROCKING the fucking riff like there was no tomorrow; head-banging, his hair flying all over. So Mike smiled and started playing the solo himself. I doubt many people caught this, but when the boot comes out and you notice that the solo in Sonic Reducer starts a little late, this is why.
      2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
      http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    • Options
      iluvcats wrote:
      Blondie and I have both met Gavin Rossdale!

I believe it was built in 1995.

yup yup. :)

oh 95 huh.
      not that it means anything but i think that was when the va beach amp was built too. wonder if it was built by the the same people because both venues lack on things.

ms259093 wrote:
      how come the poster says washington, dc?

From what I read on this thread pj wanted to play the verizon center but it conflicted with the hockey teams schedule.
      shirt says washington dc too.

I noticed a nice little moment during between Stone and Mike during Sonic Reducer that any good Pearl Jam geek would appriciate. when it was time for the solo, Mike was still playing the riff because I guess it was Stone who was going to do the solo. He looked over at Stone and even gave him a little point as if to say "go ahead" but Stone was ROCKING the fucking riff like there was no tomorrow; head-banging, his hair flying all over. So Mike smiled and started playing the solo himself. I doubt many people caught this, but when the boot comes out and you notice that the solo in Sonic Reducer starts a little late, this is why.

hells yes! party0031.gif

AND there was this moment where jeff and mike(I think) where facing each other jamming out and jeff's smile was huge. love it! they love what they do and it shows.

when will the boot be ready you think?