Options

*** Bristow, VA Fanviews Here 5/13/10 ***

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    iluvcats wrote:
    Blondie and I have both met Gavin Rossdale!

I believe it was built in 1995.

yup yup. :)

oh 95 huh.
    not that it means anything but i think that was when the va beach amp was built too. wonder if it was built by the the same people because both venues lack on things.

ms259093 wrote:
    how come the poster says washington, dc?

From what I read on this thread pj wanted to play the verizon center but it conflicted with the hockey teams schedule.
    shirt says washington dc too.

I noticed a nice little moment during between Stone and Mike during Sonic Reducer that any good Pearl Jam geek would appriciate. when it was time for the solo, Mike was still playing the riff because I guess it was Stone who was going to do the solo. He looked over at Stone and even gave him a little point as if to say "go ahead" but Stone was ROCKING the fucking riff like there was no tomorrow; head-banging, his hair flying all over. So Mike smiled and started playing the solo himself. I doubt many people caught this, but when the boot comes out and you notice that the solo in Sonic Reducer starts a little late, this is why.

hells yes! party0031.gif

AND there was this moment where jeff and mike(I think) where facing each other jamming out and jeff's smile was huge. love it! they love what they do and it shows.

when will the boot be ready you think?
    would guess about two weeks? N.O. and Kc just became available a couple days ago.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    2 weeks. ok. thanks.

i looked it up....

nissan pavilion designed by Frank Gehry
    When I searched frank it had nothing about expertise in acoustics. Go figure.

Virginia Beach Amphitheater built by Virginia LandMark Design Group
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    RF753RF753 Posts: 18
    iluvcats wrote:
    What's the Bush remarks? You guys don't remember Bush (Gavin Rossdale?) It's a song from Sixteen Stone called "Comedown." I listened to them before Pearl Jam.

I am coming down from that cloud sadly reading this sort of negative thread.

It is reference to the movie "Revenge Of The Nerds". I actually misquoted it. It should have been "We've Got Bush". Sorry! Just trying to keep it light. Google it and you will know all.
  • Options
    RF753RF753 Posts: 18
    I actually was blessed to have met Gavin Rossdale when Bush played in Wichita in 1996. A friend of mine won backstage passes to the show and took me with him. The line up was: No Doubt - Goo Goo Dolls - Bush. That was a great show!
  • Options
    encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160
    Setlist was bizarre. I felt like I hit "Random" on Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'. After reading the setlist I was surprised that I wasn't amazed. I blame the crowd. The opening to the Self-Pollution CD says it best, "This is a fuckin rock and roll concert, not a fucking tea party"(Ozzy :twisted: )

No signature wine bottle for Ed tonight. Mike, who is typically moving around stage, didn't seem like he was into it tonight. It seemed like a mellow night for the band and the crowd. I had at least 4 empty seats to my left, 2 to my right, and 2-4 in front of me. I was on the McCready side with excellent seat placement... other than Mike being set-up next to a stack of house speakers. I missed most of his guitar work but could clearly see the low 'e' string on his guitar.

Venue was easy in-easy out.

Poster = bad ass!

With that being said, I drove 8 hours to see this show and would do it again. Thanks 10C for the seats!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    After reading the setlist I was surprised that I wasn't amazed. I blame the crowd.

i knew it was amazing during the show, fuck the crowd. didn't need to see the list to know it was the best set of pj songs i've seen live. granted it was only my 5th pj show.
    (to the right of me a few rows down there was a pack of guys totally throwing down. so wild they took off their shirts even thou it was chilly) all around me i saw people rocking out.

i too got out with no problem. but yet again i was in VIP.

is there a link to the poster? i want to see. :)
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on

• Options
    pjshayspjshays Posts: 6
    Like other people commented, I would never to go Nissan except to see Pearl Jam. It took 2 1/2 hours to get there from Baltimore, thanks to DC traffic, but we did get out of there fairly quickly.

I'm surprised to read disappointed fan reviews of the show. It was my 20th show and I loved it. I had row M Orchestra dead center thanks to the Ten Club!! The set list was a bit more obscure, but for a die-hard fan it was very satisfying. I was thrilled to hear Brain of J, Present Tense, Faithful, and Garden. There are so many good songs I feel that people are always going to leave wishing they heard something they didn't play. I'm just thrilled to hear any of their songs. I don't understand the comments about the crowd...from where I was sitting everyone was totally into it and participating with full force. When I turned around to look at the crowd in the venue behind me it seemed that everyone was enjoying it. I guess seat location can affect your perception of the show. I am so grateful for the Ten Club and all they do for their fans. My seats get better for every show, and I even had front row for the final Spectrum show, so I feel extremely fortunate. I took a fellow Ten Clubber with me who hasn't been in the fan club as long as me and couldn't get tickets and he was thrilled with the seats and the show. The only bad part for me was how fast the time seems to go and the sadness when the concert is over. Can't wait for the next one!!
  • Options
    mulva8 wrote:
    I thought the beginning of the show was great, but once Eddie made his comment that :lol: lobbyist for financial institutions should kill themselves, I walked out - and I wasn't the only one. I realize that I am going to get some political talk from him, especially in DC, but that was really an awful thing to say. To marginalize someone's life like that is ignorant and really doesn't have a place during a show. I understand he has a right to freedom of speech - and I have my right to walk out, but really, that comment just sucked the life out of the show for me. I have been a fan club member for 13 years and have seen close to 20 shows and usually I don't let his comment affect me - but last night, that was just too much. That comment upset me so much that I don't know if I will renew my membership. Unfortunately I have friends excited about seeing them in Boston or I would sell my tickets.

I for one enjoyed the show immensly and was so pleased they played "Black" which used to be a rarity.

On a personal note I was glad that Eddie expressed his freedom-of-speech --for those of you who didn't hear the whole comment (and if you were too busy walking out which I was applauding too loudly to notice you) he quickly explained he/they could not "condone that" but begged "the lobbyists" to "please come to their senses."

All the while however our section in 101 was hooting, hollering, cheering, and applauding that such a comment was made and no one seemed to mind or leave their seats. I suppose that's what makes America so great, freedom of thought and expression, opinion and political views-and the fact our words, actions, and comments like this may envoke change somewhere--even if only a small change.

Now I'm hoping he talks about the oil spill...ouch.
    Cindy Fahnestock-Schafer
    is Ira Mency
  • Options
    yeah i don't quite understand the people that walked out.
    because
    he seemed to regret it right away and corrected himself.

i thought he seemed buzzed/high/drunk even before he said that.
    it contributed to the kickass setlist and when he's like that you have brace yourself for the crap that may or may not come out of his mouth. usually i find it amusing/empowering but i feel he took it too far this time. i was shocked when he said it. i'm really glad he corrected himself quickly.

yeah i agree. there's better issues to rant about. like the oil spill.
    IMO the bank thing is useless to fuss about. they'll regulate it then elect people that will deregulate it.

the times i've seen pj it's been in the south. it's where i live. i don't have money to travel far.
    it gets on my nerves ed seems to be extra wound up when he's here.
    all virginians aren't republicans. chill out a little ed. virginia isn't the deep south.

• Options
    kevwalkerkevwalker VA Posts: 8
    I have to say that the Ten Club really treats their fans properly. I've been a long-time fan since Ten blew the doors off of what I knew about music at that time in my life, and have only recently become a member of the fan club (429xxx). I certainly won the lottery this past Thursday in VA - Orchestra 3 - Row K. BRILLIANT seats. The set list was great for me, albeit a bit obscure for my wife who stopped listening around Yield (she recognized about 6 songs from the entire set). Blood was insane, and STBC was such a welcome treat along with Sonic Reducer. And I adored Faithful live - slowed down slightly from the album version so that Faith-Ful really came out as separate words (super fun to sing with). I was hoping for Indifference, and seeing scratched off the list due to the curfew was supremely disappointing, but only means that I will be going to the next show in my area. Continue to do what you do well, guys - your fans (even the ones who recently joined the Club) sincerely appreciate it.
    PS - Thanks again for the lottery seats - looking back at the lawn just made me feel so special.
    2000: Columbia
    2010: Bristow
    2020 2024: Baltimore
  • Options
    official photos are now up at the concerts page. :mrgreen:
    http://www.pearljam.com/tour/show/jiffy ... ay-13-2010

• Options
    official photos are now up at the concerts page. :mrgreen:
    http://www.pearljam.com/tour/show/jiffy ... ay-13-2010

Wow, I am glad you posted this!!There I am, front row, in the first pic!! Thanks again 10C, awesome experience.

Can't wait to get this picture framed along with a McCready pick, my ticket and Matt's sticks. :D
    "There's alot to be said for nowhere"
  • Options
    awesome! :mrgreen:

hehehe I have stuff framed from my 08 front row experience too.

• Options
    Got pics of that? Would love some ideas on how to go about doing it.
    "There's alot to be said for nowhere"
  • Options
    RR105426RR105426 Posts: 97
    Wow I am really suprised about the good number of fairly negative reviews about the show. I went to visit a friend in DC and had booked my trip before I knew PJ was playing. Needless to say was thrilled when they announced the tour. In 10c 101 row h-- for most part great crowd around us. That was a fairly solid crowd rendition of Betterman at the end for people that weren't into it.

Prob my 15th show or so.

I thought the setlist was really good with some different stuff on there-- Elderly as an opener was awesome, Garden blew me away. Also thought the crowd was definitely into it. IMO outdoor venues aren't the best in general. I don't know that I've ever walked out of an outdoor venue and been like holy shit the sound was awesome tonight. The venue in Bristow blows away the main outdoor venue in the Chicago south suburbs.

Maybe it was the party bus I took too and from First Down Bar & Grill (fucking awesome by the way) but the parking lot was a breeze, was def scared after all the horror stories I read.

Anyway, it certainly wasn't the best PJ show I've seen but I had a fucking blast anyway. So thanks PJ and 10c for an awesome night.
  • Options
    Got pics of that? Would love some ideas on how to go about doing it.

shadow boxes are great.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/b ... owboxB.jpg

the middle pic is a photoshoot pic but the other two were from THAT show.

i found small keychain blanks because i didn't want to put glue on the picks. scanned the back view of picks.

• Options
    hailhail8hailhail8 Posts: 269
    RR105426 wrote:
    Wow I am really suprised about the good number of fairly negative reviews about the show. I went to visit a friend in DC and had booked my trip before I knew PJ was playing. Needless to say was thrilled when they announced the tour. In 10c 101 row h-- for most part great crowd around us. That was a fairly solid crowd rendition of Betterman at the end for people that weren't into it.

Prob my 15th show or so.

I thought the setlist was really good with some different stuff on there-- Elderly as an opener was awesome, Garden blew me away. Also thought the crowd was definitely into it. IMO outdoor venues aren't the best in general. I don't know that I've ever walked out of an outdoor venue and been like holy shit the sound was awesome tonight. The venue in Bristow blows away the main outdoor venue in the Chicago south suburbs.

Maybe it was the party bus I took too and from First Down Bar & Grill (fucking awesome by the way) but the parking lot was a breeze, was def scared after all the horror stories I read.

Anyway, it certainly wasn't the best PJ show I've seen but I had a fucking blast anyway. So thanks PJ and 10c for an awesome night.

I was in 101 row A seats 1&2 and my brother and I had a blast. Best concert experience of my life so far. And I was at Philly 3 & 4. I love outdoor venues cause there's more room to run around and raise hell than in a packed inside venue. The people on here writing negative reviews can all go pack sand because I don't know what they were smoking that night. It's pearl jam. How could it be as bad as some of these people say it was?
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    RR105426 wrote:

Prob my 15th show or so.

Completely agree! It was a really good show. I was in section 101 as well, row J and that area was rocking the whole show. I like outdoors shows, seems that the sound is better.
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    No atmosphere in Nissan Pavillion, it's just too big. The band couldn't read the crowd because they could barely see or hear them.

Slight sound problems a few times, it sounded like the drum was doubling, that messed up Save You and a couple others. Could see Jeff talking to someone off stage about it during the Ledbetter wrap up.

An early start and finish because of the curfew, but 2:30 on the dot of play. Again, this venue is a disaster to get in and out of (unless you dropped $ 30 like me to get out of the vip lot), but PJ had to book it because MCI had to be saved for the Caps, should they have advanced.

An interesting set, but a few clunkers mixed in. Insignificance isn't a bad song, but they have too many others that are better. The same can be said for Sonic Reducer. Seemed to be oddly light on Backspacer tunes. How bout Gonna See My Friend and Force of Nature instead of the 2 mentioned.

Thrilled to see Down and Faithfull, left wanting a few more Backspacers and Leash at the end. Problem was, it was a bigger crowd in a bigger city that didn't know nearly half of the songs that were played.

the crowd may have sucked...but what does the fact of dc being a bigger city have anything to do with it? philly, chicago, ny, and boston are all bigger and their crowds always rock
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hailhail8hailhail8 Posts: 269
    velogator wrote:
    RR105426 wrote:

Prob my 15th show or so.

Completely agree! It was a really good show. I was in section 101 as well, row J and that area was rocking the whole show. I like outdoors shows, seems that the sound is better.

I have a pic of me and my brother sitting in our seats before pj came out. And you can see lots if other people in 101 looking at the camera when the picture was taken. And everyone was smiling like they were ready to have a good time. My bro and I had the front corner of the section and were running around raising hell all night. Kudos to section 101 for rocking out!!
  • Options
    No atmosphere in Nissan Pavillion, it's just too big. The band couldn't read the crowd because they could barely see or hear them.

Slight sound problems a few times, it sounded like the drum was doubling, that messed up Save You and a couple others. Could see Jeff talking to someone off stage about it during the Ledbetter wrap up.

An early start and finish because of the curfew, but 2:30 on the dot of play. Again, this venue is a disaster to get in and out of (unless you dropped $ 30 like me to get out of the vip lot), but PJ had to book it because MCI had to be saved for the Caps, should they have advanced.

An interesting set, but a few clunkers mixed in. Insignificance isn't a bad song, but they have too many others that are better. The same can be said for Sonic Reducer. Seemed to be oddly light on Backspacer tunes. How bout Gonna See My Friend and Force of Nature instead of the 2 mentioned.

Thrilled to see Down and Faithfull, left wanting a few more Backspacers and Leash at the end. Problem was, it was a bigger crowd in a bigger city that didn't know nearly half of the songs that were played.

the crowd may have sucked...but what does the fact of dc being a bigger city have anything to do with it? philly, chicago, ny, and boston are all bigger and their crowds always rock

Def not knocking the crowd there. DC is an underrated Pearl Jam town. I was recognizing the atmosphere of Nissan. It's one of the biggest amphitheaters in the US. And as such, it will never have the atmosphere of a great old arena (ex. Boston Garden, Spectrum, Chicago Stadium) nor of a great modern arena (ex. Quicken in Cleveland). The crowd can't see each other, and neither can the band see the whole crowd. It's just a much more distant feeling than GR was, Columbia was, the tightest amphitheaters around (Indy), and other venues.

Therefore, the atmosphere was lacking because you simply can't feel what's happening up near the top of the seats, let alone the hill. When you're in an arena, you can see everyone and feel what's happening. No fault of Pearl Jam, they wanted to play at MCI, but the date was blocked in case the Caps didn't collapse in the playoffs again. Even the "event t-shirt" says D.C. on it. So I'd much rather they played somewhere than not in DC at all.

In short, a slap at the venue was not a slap at the crowd. The show was good, not great. The curfew loomed over the whole thing from the start, and the band looked concerned, if not nearly rushed at times. The songs were obviously punky, inspired by the prior eve's PiL show. I just wish, given the size of the crowd and layout of the expansive venue, they had played a few more good songs that more than 3000 might know. I'm sorry, there's better songs out there, not hits, than insignif and reducer, that more people would've known and appreciated. Insignif killed the momentum, and I can think of about 25 tunes that would've kept it. But who is going to criticize the best American rock band of all-time.

PS. I gotta feelin the bootleg on this will put the show in a different light for those in attendance.
  • Options
    ehamilton4ehamilton4 Posts: 1
    The best live band in the world gave my 7 1/2 year old son a treat he'll never forget. They gave him and his dad front row tickets, the set list, and Eddie's pick.

In the live version of "Down" he usually sings..."I think I'll throw these fucking pills away", those of you who know your PJ music will have noticed that he stoped himself short of saying "fucking", well it was for Bradley's sake, even from my seat 50 rows back, I could see he was looking right at my boy and couldn't bring himself to sing it.

Stone saw the air-guitaring and came over to demonstrate proper chord structure. Jeff shared little waves and big leaps. The guys really took time to make my little guy feel like part of the band, what an incredible night!

Oh, and all of you who think it wasn't a good show clearly haven't been to enough shows.
  • Options
    not sure if anybody is interested, but here's my full fanview.
    http://www.ivykennedy.com/concerts/pjCONCERT.htm

• Options
    badu2fanbadu2fan Posts: 87
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO3Mkwh4G9s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN6bW0dWcow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBzh9uX_lM8

Thanks 10 club for great seats 6th row dead center and all the good folks sitting in our area.

Crowd was great and I think the band enjoyed themselves. Nice setlist and all I wish for is Crown Of thorns one day. PJ why don't you do a southern swing for us in the southeast. Do it in the fall and make it a coastal tour so Eddie and Boom can go surfing up the coast during Hurricane season.

:lol:
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    7 rows from the stage in row G in front of Mike. The best seats I've had thru the 10C. Great show and nice mix of songs. Crowd around me was great and alot of people rockin out during the 2nd encore. The weather was nice, a bit cold for shorts but very comfortable. Can't wait to download the boot. Thanks guys!
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    phiend226phiend226 Posts: 11
    me and a buddy had 10c seats (awesome as usual) in 103 row j. i had a blast. i don't get to go to/can't afford more than the local dc area show each tour,so while it may not have been the best show of the tour it was still fun as hell.
    pretty good setlist. a bunch of stuff i haven't heard live before. the crowd did seem a little "off" to me, but i still had a good time.
    and i doubt they are on here, but the group of 3 girls behind me were great. they were having just as much fun as i was. cool, cool chicks. even got to semi-slow dance with one of them during betterman. :D
    good times.
    until the next show...
  • Options
    encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160

is there a link to the poster? i want to see. :)

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/122142
  • Options
    that is cool!
    kinda fits with the tc card hoodie.

• Options
    sec 116, loved the show, elderly as opener, great

faithfull, yesterdays, present tense, all real cool, real awesome little show, I dig these shows compared to the overhyped MSG ones lol too much stress for those & yes I am going to MSG also
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • Options
    bjmjplbjmjpl Posts: 134
    was a great show - from what i know talking to the venue before the show about blankets etc in the grass they sold abt 15k worth of seats and it holds 25k....