*** Bristow, VA Fanviews Here 5/13/10 ***

Comments

• sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    Set list looks awesome. Guy on here does not like indifference? Wow! That's a great song. Playing huge crowds in Northeast (Buffalo even sold behind stage). Seems more people in the semi south and south just stoped listening to rock. When I drive from Buffalo to Florida, from West Virginia to Jacksonville no rock stations came in. I95 in Savannah used to be great rock station. Now its not even rock. They only like their GWB loving ass kissing country music now. For those still rocking down there... Bless!
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    Very good show although the sound was slightly ringy. My seats were in section 103, Row P. (Everyone there was rocking--on both sides, behind, and in front of me.) I tried walking around some areas to find some "good sound" pockets--the best was in the wheelchair mezzanine area. To me, it sounded like the sound was tinging off the overhead a little bit.

I also got the impression that the band couldn't see/hear/feel the crowd as Ed said more than once "are ya all out there" or something like that.

Awesome songs though--To me the best of the show was Blood, Alive, Spin Black Circle, The End, Present Tense. I'll say it--Ledbetter sounded awsome too.

Security was very anal. I tried to go from a lower section up to a higher section and they wouldn't let me--they said I had to go around. (Like who really tries to sneak up to a worse seat from a better seat. Duh)

I forgot all about the "Do us all a favor and kill yourself"comment to the finanical lobyists. Of course Ed didn't MEAN it as he explained three sentences later. The message was obviously not go "kill yourself" The message was "WTF are you doing?" However instead of soul-searching contemplation, the response instead was "Leaving"

GLAD I got to meet some members at the Bungalow and GLAD that the weather held out and the most precipiation was a post-show mist (again, better than missed)
  • IC188161IC188161 Posts: 53
    I didn't take the suicide remark seriously and I'm a sensitive person.

I have walked out of a concert before when a band member made fun of God and used the F word during a prayer.
    No thanks, I was no longer interested.

ummmm....isn't this a bit contradictory? I don't want to get into this discussion, but telling a particular group of people to go kill themselves is a bit more offensive than making fun of a fictional character. To me, as a fan of PJ music, this is a bit of a slap in the face. The only people that are going to hear what he decides to rant are people who paid a lot of money to see the show. So he's basically telling possible paying fans to go kill themselves. Yes, he eventually "took back" what he said, but it was uncalled for!

oh...as for addressing the actual thread topic...damn good show, musically. I really enjoyed the flow of the setlist. While other shows may have better songs throughout, this show had a main theme, and that was to simply rock!
  • sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    just looked at some pics of the Jiffy Lube. That place is huge. You could put 20,000 in that place and it would look empty. The grass is 3-4 times larger than what a normal amp. is. I think only the Pope might be able to fill that. Who would want to be that far back for a concert. So I was not there but to say they cant sell the lawns....may as well sit in the parking lot. Locals seem to know that if they didn't get seats they said F-this.
  • I have this funny feeling Bristow VA may have just seen it's last Pearl Jam show EVER.

Don't worry Miley Cyrus is young, you still have plenty of years left of her touring the area :D
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
    IC188161 wrote:

I have walked out of a concert before when a band member made fun of God and used the F word during a prayer.

ummmm....isn't this a bit contradictory? I don't want to get into this discussion, but telling a particular group of people to go kill themselves is a bit more offensive than making fun of a fictional character. To me, as a fan of PJ music, this is a bit of a slap in the face. The only people that are going to hear what he decides to rant are people who paid a lot of money to see the show. So he's basically telling possible paying fans to go kill themselves. Yes, he eventually "took back" what he said, but it was uncalled for!

oh...as for addressing the actual thread topic...damn good show, musically. I really enjoyed the flow of the setlist. While other shows may have better songs throughout, this show had a main theme, and that was to simply rock!

I think that he would rather not have the people that he was referring to at his shows. Why would anyone as passionate as Ed is want someone there that believes in nothing that he believes in ,when he is putting his heart out there on the stage? I think that he feels his causes so deeply that he would rather not take money from those he despises. Tell me I am wrong, but I think that this is why he has such a following..because we can feel it..that he is true to what he sings and says.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    IC188161 wrote:

fictional to you maybe but about 80% of the US population believes in that crap

I would say dissing Jesus is much more offensive yet all we have to do is look at Ed's lyrics to see plenty of that

If we don't like it we don't listen....

Hats off to Ed...tell it like it is man
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • No0nesRivalNo0nesRival Posts: 95
    sabreleaf wrote:
    just looked at some pics of the Jiffy Lube. That place is huge. You could put 20,000 in that place and it would look empty. The grass is 3-4 times larger than what a normal amp. is. I think only the Pope might be able to fill that. Who would want to be that far back for a concert. So I was not there but to say they cant sell the lawns....may as well sit in the parking lot. Locals seem to know that if they didn't get seats they said F-this.

If you were down front looking back you could see the thousands of peeps out there rocking. It was packed, it was loud and it looked like a lot of participation from the crowd!!!! I LOVE PJ!!!! The guys ROCKED last night. THANK YOU PJ!!!!
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • BW8671BW8671 Posts: 1
    Great show but the WORST audience I have seen. I was in the 8th row and everyone around me just stood there. No yelling, jumping or any indication that they were having a good time. And when we were leaving I heard some girl complaining that Eddie was talking too much. Said he should "shut up and sing". He barely said a word! I called her out and she started screaming at me. WTF? Next time I'll go out of my way to see them in a different city.
    Maybe someday there will be virtual robots that put on shows that are totally controlled by your mind...and then people will be happy.

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    did anyone post the review from the Washington Post? Here it is:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/clicktra ... id=artslot
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    iluvcats wrote:

jesus check out the comment from Barbara....do you think her and her husband actually saw PJ two years ago? Honestly how could you say that crap?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    iluvcats wrote:

jesus check out the comment from Barbara....do you think her and her husband actually saw PJ two years ago? Honestly how could you say that crap?

Barbara sucks.

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    BW8671 wrote:
    Great show but the WORST audience I have seen. I was in the 8th row and everyone around me just stood there. No yelling, jumping or any indication that they were having a good time. ...except for that crazy mofo with long hair in the 7th row between Ed and Stone who was jumping all night, wearing the hoff tshirt.

*fixed
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • I really enjoyed the show. Thanks so much to Tenclub for the awesome seats! My wife and I joined back in 94 or 95 and consider that 20 bucks per year the best money we've ever spent.

I have to admit I did take a few pictures during the show. I can definitely see how that could be annoying to those around you. The guy behind me told me to take a break from doing so and then I realized that in trying to preserve the moment I was missing the moment. It probably would be better to disallow all cameras on site to keep people from going crazy.

One thing that really drives me nuts are the fools using their flash to light up the heads of those in front of them. Your flash won't do crap to illuminate the band, especially if you are further back.

On the other side, I want to get press passes for the next tour. I'd love to photograph PJ with a real camera.

love and peace
    Long time listener, first time caller
    iluvcats wrote:

barbara can "say that crap" because she can :) she has a right to her opinion. But if pj are that awful to barbara and her husband, why did she take the time to read the article and comment? I would not let one bad concert experience stop me from seeing other live shows.

If more people think that pj are awful and offensive, then they will have to play at smaller venues and we will get a better, closer seat!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • SDSD Posts: 3
    Great Show, arrived at Jiffy lube live around 6:30pm, plenty time to pick up tickets and buy a t-shirt. Dead center tickets, row P, which I thought was great seats for a 289XXX membership, thanks 10club. Setlist was great, heard some amazing songs never heard live before. Seen better crowds! Got out of the parking lot with in about 20-30 mins, which didn't bother me, but was late when I got back to DC.

Thanks for a great show PJ and thanks for coming to Washington! :)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    the reviewer from the post said the crowd was 25,000 plus!!!! that's the biggest crowd this tour with indy in a close second. how many people does this place hold? i'm really shocked a huge crowd like that wasn't loud.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Barbara and her husband must have clearly seen some other band. It could not have been Pearl Jam.

Seems odd someone not even at the show or someone who hates them so much would even read the article let alone reply with such nonsense!

She must be a Dave Matthews plant, something is fishy about her comment and right on top too. Unless this guy that wrote the article maybe has some suicidal lobbyist buddies?
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I enjoyed the show. Present Tense, Brain of J, Faithful and Sonic Reducer were great to hear. And I actually liked the venue. My section of the crowd (on the floor, all the way back) was rocking pretty good. Not the best sound in the world...but I don't think it hurt the show.

But Eddie really needs to cut down on his...ahem...."political speeches" because he ALWAYS sounds like an idiot out there. As Janeane Garofolo said in "Team America": As actors, it is our responsibility to read the newspapers, and then say what we read on television like it's our own opinion." Replace "actor" with "singer" and "television" with "stage" and you have Eddie Vedder.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I think that he would rather not have the people that he was referring to at his shows. Why would anyone as passionate as Ed is want someone there that believes in nothing that he believes in ,when he is putting his heart out there on the stage? I think that he feels his causes so deeply that he would rather not take money from those he despises. Tell me I am wrong, but I think that this is why he has such a following..because we can feel it..that he is true to what he sings and says.

Wow...First of all, I didn't realize that we were all on a first name basis with "Ed!?!" Next time you talk to him on the phone, can you tell him just to play Release already. People always ask for it, but i guess because "Ed" is in it for the fans, he always plays what we request. News flash sister, he's in it for the money. Just like everyone else in America.

You can put him up on a pedestal and Idolize him if you want, but eventually you have to face reality. As much as he bashes the capitalistic form of government, he benefits from it more so than the vast majority of Americans. That's why ticket prices are what they are, and why merchandise costs what it costs. Simple supply and demand ethics of capitalism.

Besides, if prices continue to go up, pretty soon the only people that will be able to afford to attend a PJ/"Ed" concert will be those people that he "despises" so much.
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    the reviewer from the post said the crowd was 25,000 plus!!!! that's the biggest crowd this tour with indy in a close second. how many people does this place hold? i'm really shocked a huge crowd like that wasn't loud.

I think Jiffy Lube holds 25,000. I did not realize it sold out.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    IC188161 wrote:

Wow...First of all, I didn't realize that we were all on a first name basis with "Ed!?!" Next time you talk to him on the phone, can you tell him just to play Release already. People always ask for it, but i guess because "Ed" is in it for the fans, he always plays what we request. News flash sister, he's in it for the money. Just like everyone else in America.

You can put him up on a pedestal and Idolize him if you want, but eventually you have to face reality. As much as he bashes the capitalistic form of government, he benefits from it more so than the vast majority of Americans. That's why ticket prices are what they are, and why merchandise costs what it costs. Simple supply and demand ethics of capitalism.

Besides, if prices continue to go up, pretty soon the only people that will be able to afford to attend a PJ/"Ed" concert will be those people that he "despises" so much.

I regret getting into this on the "fanviews" page. I would like to continue this conversation with you though..and will on the "Walked out of the DC show" thread.

Corey Lynn wrote:
    IC188161 wrote:

I regret getting into this on the "fanviews" page. I would like to continue this conversation with you though..and will on the "Walked out of the DC show" thread.

sounds good. sorry to everyone else on the thread. Again, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Probably one of the best of the few(10) that I've been to.
  • PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    Anytime Brain of J is played = amazing.
  • TR42797TR42797 Posts: 11
    All Those Yesterdays. Nice!
    8/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 8/7/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/7/00, 6/22/03, 6/26/03, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 5/19/06, 5/20/06, 5/22/06, *8/21/08*, 8/23/09, 5/7/10, 5/9/10.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    BW8671 wrote:
    Great show but the WORST audience I have seen. I was in the 8th row and everyone around me just stood there. No yelling, jumping or any indication that they were having a good time. And when we were leaving I heard some girl complaining that Eddie was talking too much. Said he should "shut up and sing". He barely said a word! I called her out and she started screaming at me. WTF? Next time I'll go out of my way to see them in a different city.

I was in row Q mikes side. You should have come with me, danced all night.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • hailhail8hailhail8 Posts: 269
    A dump truck could dump a load of wet mushy cow shit on you before a pearl jam show and they could play an entire set of evenflow over and over and over..... and you'd still be witnessing the fucking greatest band on the planet.... and it will still be the best show you will see all year... period.

Lots of whiny prima donna's around here lately it seems.

Take what you get and shut the fuck up

Thank you :D:D

I couldnt agree more!!
  • kstowellkstowell Posts: 1
    Great night for a classic concert!
    What more could you ask? We sat with a group of long time die -hard fans and we never stopped dancing and singing. You get out of any experience what you put into it. It was an excellent night with some new friends. The Hendrix tribute was unlike anything I have ever heard at any concert before! Rock on!
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Just got home a little while ago and noticed these big black and blue marks on the back of my ankles and calves. Just figured out they were from dancing last night. My legs must have been banging up on the back of the stupid chair! Ha, the problems of being in the orchestra seats!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!