Options

*** Bristow, VA Fanviews Here 5/13/10 ***

Comments

• Options
    mulva8mulva8 Posts: 6
    I thought the beginning of the show was great, but once Eddie made his comment that lobbyist for financial institutions should kill themselves, I walked out - and I wasn't the only one. I realize that I am going to get some political talk from him, especially in DC, but that was really an awful thing to say. To marginalize someone's life like that is ignorant and really doesn't have a place during a show. I understand he has a right to freedom of speech - and I have my right to walk out, but really, that comment just sucked the life out of the show for me. I have been a fan club member for 13 years and have seen close to 20 shows and usually I don't let his comment affect me - but last night, that was just too much. That comment upset me so much that I don't know if I will renew my membership. Unfortunately I have friends excited about seeing them in Boston or I would sell my tickets.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    One day, one day, I'm going to get a setlist, and set the record straight! : :lol:

Great concert, worth the wait. Can't wait for the next one.

I don't have one, but I've seen them write one right in front of me during an encore, so I'm pretty sure about it. :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    A dump truck could dump a load of wet mushy cow shit on you before a pearl jam show and they could play an entire set of evenflow over and over and over..... and you'd still be witnessing the fucking greatest band on the planet.... and it will still be the best show you will see all year... period.

Lots of whiny prima donna's around here lately it seems.

Take what you get and shut the fuck up

Thank you :D:D

Well Said!...Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :P
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,535
    mulva8 wrote:
    I thought the beginning of the show was great, but once Eddie made his comment that lobbyist for financial institutions should kill themselves, I walked out - and I wasn't the only one. I realize that I am going to get some political talk from him, especially in DC, but that was really an awful thing to say. To marginalize someone's life like that is ignorant and really doesn't have a place during a show. I understand he has a right to freedom of speech - and I have my right to walk out, but really, that comment just sucked the life out of the show for me. I have been a fan club member for 13 years and have seen close to 20 shows and usually I don't let his comment affect me - but last night, that was just too much. That comment upset me so much that I don't know if I will renew my membership. Unfortunately I have friends excited about seeing them in Boston or I would sell my tickets.

After you walked out, he apologized for saying that
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    i enjoyed the setlist. my 16th time seeing the band, not the best, not the worst. great seats, the venue was really big for an amphitheatre though. i still don't understand all the problems with the traveling to this venue. i had no problems getting in or leaving. took me about 10 minutes to get out of the lot, and once i did there was no traffic. blood, garden and spin the black circle were probably my favorites of the night. got to hear all those yesterdays for the first time which was also a highlight.

a couple side notes...

-two middle aged men standing next to me were really annoying. i heard the one guy say to his friend, "i just wish they would play something i know", DURING BLACK!...unbelievable, this is while they were talking to their buddy the security guard the whole time and walking in and out of their seats. (as great as my seat was, it was kind of annoying standing on the aisle) when eddie mentioned about playing in "the dc area" these guys took it very personally, shouting "fuck you eddie we're in bristow, BRISTOW!" then he started the banter about how lobbyist in washington should just do us all a favor and kill themselves. these guys really didn't like that, started shouting some more obscentities towards vedder, and left the show. this was before they played "the fixer" in the first set, (seems like a waste that they came to begin with) but i was glad they left.

-some asshole stole my wiper blade off my drivers side arm! who the hell does that? it started raining about 2 hours into my drive home, i turned the wipers on and got treated with the most horrid sound i've ever heard. had to pull over in bumfuck to try and swap the blades....luckily, because i'm a car retard and failed to swap the blades, the rain was barely a drizzle and stopped before i got home.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    They were in a good mood, but not really up for the challenge tonight. Ed said he was gonna bring out the fucked up songs, then broke out rarities like Why Go and Black. :roll:
    Yeah - that was such a bad tease right there... he said something like 'you'll know this next one, but then after that...' and so after Black I was expecting things to get nuts. But instead they went with everything on the setlist - I thought that was kind of uncool to get us all excited like that to ditch it 5 minutes later.
  • Options
    mulva8 wrote:

i agree that he sounds a bit ignorant with some of his rambling political comments sometimes, but i can't really completely disagree with where is heart is coming from. you should know, having seen 20 shows, that eddie wears his heart on his sleeve. have you ever said something impulsively which may have came across the wrong way? that's all this really was. yeah, he should try to be a little more responsible with what he is saying to a crowd of 20,000 people who paid 100 dollars to hear pearl jam music, but you should know going into a pj show that you may hear something like this. is it really that hard to just ignore it until the next song? seems a bit ridiculous to let something like that ruin your experience. no offense, but i think you're being a little too sensitive here...as were the other people the walked out because of it.
  • Options
    number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    They could play row, row, your fuck**n boat and it would still be rockin'. I love to hear them play anything. Yes it is a thrill to try and guess what they will play b/c they are not a band that has a standard set list for each show. But does it really matter what they play? Come on, they are PJ after all and we are there to hear them play.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    was the crowd pretty big? lawn kind of empty? set list looks great! i've only heard all those yesterdays once in 40 shows. cant' wait for hartford!

i remember going to bristow in '03 and thought the crowd was weak as well, but '06 and '08 at the mci center was amazing!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    releasemedcreleasemedc Posts: 48
    I was in section 103 row J. Not too shabby for a 408xxx number. About half of the folks around me were great, getting into it, knowing the songs, etc., and then there were the people in front of me. Two couples. Both women, clearly dragged there by their boyfriends, were being high-maintenance buzzkills. One chick played the "I'm sick" card and sat down during song 2, only to be on Facebook the entire time on her phone. In the words of Liz Lemmon, "Deal breaker. Shut it down." Argh.

Anyhooooooo
    Show was great, as usual. This was #11 for me. Hearing The End with Ed solo was a treat, as were Down, Faithful, Brain of J, Blood, and Garden. They completely rocked Do the Evolution and Insignificance, which normally isn't a favorite of mine. LOVED that he said DC every time instead of Virginia. People who were offended by the lobbyist comment need to lighten up, and I say that as someone who has lobbyist friends and someone who has experienced the ramifications of suicide. His main point it well taken... if all of those people took a stand and stopped doing the evil work that they do, maybe people's lives would be saved.

Got out of the parking lot easily because I cheated and made my own lane. Sorry, everyone I cut in front of, but I was not about to wait if I didn't have to, and a teenager with a lighted stick is not much of a deterrent for me.

Looking forward to the MSG shows next week! Knowing I'll see them 3 times within 8 days definitely helps with my typical post-conference depression :D
    Vegas 12/1/93 & 7/11/98 -- SLC 11/2/95 -- San Diego 10/25/00 & 6/5/03 -- DC 5/30/06 & 6/22/08 -- SF 8/28/09 -- Philly 10/31/09, 10/21/13 & 10/22/13 -- Bristow 5/13/10 -- MSG 5/20/10 -- ATL 9/22/12 -- Baltimore 10/27/13 -- LA 11/24/13 -- Leeds 7/8/14 -- Denver 10/22/14

EVx5
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I didn't take the suicide remark seriously and I'm a sensitive person.

I have walked out of a concert before when a band member made fun of God and used the F word during a prayer.
    No thanks, I was no longer interested.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    iluvcats wrote:

I have walked out of a concert before when a band member made fun of God and used the F word during a prayer.

that's funny. was it eddie?
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    sounds like a great setlist. This was the only show I didnt attend and now I'm upset I missed it. But after 4,000 miles of driving, in the words of Eddie "Dont you think you oughta rest, Dont you think you need to lay your head down, tonight."

See ya in Hartford, newark, boston and the dirty apple.
  • Options
    Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
    iluvcats wrote:

:lol::lol:

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Options
    Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    I thought the show had a harder edge and loved it. I think EV seeing PIL the night before at the 930 Club influenced the setlist.

great show, not bad 10C seats, section 101 row F. but come on people, loud drunks during the quieter moments are are pain in the ass. if you sat in seats 1 and 2, row e of section 101 last night, hate to be the one to tell you, but you both can't handle your drinking...5 more minutes of your hyenia drunk ass laughing as EV was talking and I was gonna smack you. And I am NOT a violent person,

Looking forward to Boston and MSG
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• Options
    No0nesRivalNo0nesRival Posts: 95
    They could play row, row, your fuck**n boat and it would still be rockin'. I love to hear them play anything. Yes it is a thrill to try and guess what they will play b/c they are not a band that has a standard set list for each show. But does it really matter what they play? Come on, they are PJ after all and we are there to hear them play.

NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE PJ
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • Options
    No0nesRivalNo0nesRival Posts: 95
    ANY PERSON OR PEOPLE who post about this particular Vedder rant and then left the show is freakin ridiculously sad. He apologized. He said he did NOT condone that behavior, he suggested that the person get a new job.
    Hope you have low 10c #s so I can move up in seniority. :roll:
    ~FEEL THE FLOW~
  • Options
    iluvcats wrote:

that's funny. was it eddie?

No, it was not Eddie. Same venue though...
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    mulva8 wrote:

I'm with Eddie...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Corey Lynn wrote:

come on, don't censor what you wrote :)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    CJMST3K wrote:
    imalive wrote:

ed has that font in his microsoft word. he prints up 100's of 'em.

ZCharlotte.gif

What font is that?
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    JoerockJoerock Posts: 129
    I saw they had some higher-end video cameras taping the show. Is the band gonna be putting out another tour dvd?
    2006 - Washington D.C.
    2010 - Bristow, VA
    2013 - Charlottesville, VA
  • Options
    Joerock wrote:
    I saw they had some higher-end video cameras taping the show. Is the band gonna be putting out another tour dvd?

That was venue personnel filming for the screens so the people on the lawn could see things closeup.
  • Options
    JoerockJoerock Posts: 129
    Joerock wrote:

That was venue personnel filming for the screens so the people on the lawn could see things closeup.

*Heres your sign* That was a stupid question. :oops: sorry about that, and thanks for the answer. :)
    2006 - Washington D.C.
    2010 - Bristow, VA
    2013 - Charlottesville, VA
  • Options
    iluvcats wrote:
    Corey Lynn wrote:

come on, don't censor what you wrote :)

sorry didn't mean to...just realized that there was a thread dedicated to the topic...and had more to say over there..didn"t want to look crazy posting the same thing in multiple areas..I am very passionate about the topic though. :D

• Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    CJMST3K wrote:
    imalive wrote:

ed has that font in his microsoft word. he prints up 100's of 'em.

ZCharlotte.gif

What font is that?

Read the bottom of it....
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    mulva8 wrote:

i agree that he sounds a bit ignorant with some of his rambling political comments sometimes, but i can't really completely disagree with where is heart is coming from. you should know, having seen 20 shows, that eddie wears his heart on his sleeve. have you ever said something impulsively which may have came across the wrong way? that's all this really was. yeah, he should try to be a little more responsible with what he is saying to a crowd of 20,000 people who paid 100 dollars to hear pearl jam music, but you should know going into a pj show that you may hear something like this. is it really that hard to just ignore it until the next song? seems a bit ridiculous to let something like that ruin your experience. no offense, but i think you're being a little too sensitive here...as were the other people the walked out because of it.

That rant was a bit of a shock, but he did kinda back off of the statement at the end of the rant...as he was leaving the stage after ther first set I saw him slam his song book into his head - perhaps he was a bit upset with himself for saying that. Anyway, I enjoyed the show
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    theoceansmademetheoceansmademe Posts: 1,132
    mulva8 wrote:

Don't renew. I might be one step closer.
  • Options
    tech19tech19 Posts: 3
    go on quit the fan club they are freaking entertainers for god sake and very amazing ones at that you are not a real fan i guess so give it up and go give your 20 bucks a year to some f***king lobbyist you prude MF, as for the show it was great sound wasent that good but it is pearl jam i knew every song but sounded like i was the only one at times good job all around
    all those paper plates