Options

My 2008 Tour experience great but...

BissBiss Posts: 255
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Ok,
I've just read the thread about Camden issues and now I think it's time to share my US experience.
Before begin the story, I think it's correct to say that me and my girlfriend (we are Italian) had really fun and we met a lot

of nice people as always in the PJ tour and all this things happened didn't ruin our trip...but:

Story #1 - Camden first night

We move from NYC to Camden very early and we were in the first rows to get in to the venue due to the poster wristband.
As the security people open the gates, due to my backpack, I've been stopped to check it: no problem with it.
The security open my backpack and notice some food, and they ask me to put it in the garbage.

1) Put the food in the garbage?!?!?! People are dying becouse they have no food and I have to throw it in the garbage?!?!? The

Answere was:"You can find food inside the venue" (this is not security, this is business)

2) I've tried to explain 'em that I cannot put the food in the garbage becouse my girlfriend is diabetic and I kindly ask 'em

to let me keep the cookies or if my girlfriend get hypoglycaemic issue should be a big problem...Answere was:"Put the food in

the garbage NOW!"

3) They open my backpack in the front side too and they found some "Paracetamol" that I've bring with me because I get a cold

due to the air conditioned of that f***ing plane...and here comes the king of the fools: the Doctor! He asked me why I had a

medicine with me and put me a wristband that says "MEDICAL"...FOR A COLD...ARE YOU NUTS!?!?!?

4) I went to the customer service to tell the story and they laugh!!! I had to tell an elderly woman to take away that stupid

smile from her face...and after 20mins they reach me and my girlfriend to our seats to give us 2 voucher for drink and eat

something...but as you can imagine my girlfriend didn't eated...

Story #2 - back from Hartford to NYC

We were in NYC just back from CT (04:00 am) and looking for the Alamo to give back the car and go to sleep when the GPS said

"turn on your right", but the street was "one way" and the sign was covered by some stuff of a working area...at this point 4

cops comes out stopping us flashing lights in the eyes saying that I was drunk and screaming a lot of things very fast that we

didn't understand. They keeps on screaming, they ask me the drive licence and they tears off from my hands my wallet keep on

saying that I was dope or drunk,accusing me...we were really scared, they were all with their hands grabbing the gun...it was

really scary...we were so scared that we were not able to speak anymore...
So, when they open the car trunk (with the keys they take in a very barbarous way from the console) and they check that we had

nothing to hide, they talked for a while, asked me to turn the car and go away...WTF?!?!?!?

By the way, we didn't give 'em the chance to bust our night, we won the lottery in Hartford and we get the 2nd row, so this was just a "black spot" in a fantastic night but what if it was a simple, normal f***ing night?

Sorry for boring you...

Peace

Biss
00: Milan
06: Verona, Milan, Pistoia
07: Storm in Venice, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
08: Camden I, MSG I, MSG II, Hartford
09: Berlin, Manchester, London
10: Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
11: East Troy1, East Troy2, Montreal, Toronto1, Toronto2

Next Tour: everywere!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    Your problem is that you chose New Jersey as your first show. That will explain a lot of the people there :)

Hartford was an amazing show and I'm glad I went, but again -- Hartford, along with Camden, aren't fair representations of the America that I know hahahaa.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    emily18emily18 Posts: 489
    damn, security can be real assholes.
    but good thing you didn't let it ruin your night! :D
  • Options
    nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    I don't want to be a jerk, but the Camden security stuff you said seemed pretty reasonable. Granted you had legitimate reasons to bring that stuff in, but think about how many excuses/reasons the security guys hear. Doesn't seem like they were really that out of line
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • Options
    nimsu8 wrote:
    I don't want to be a jerk, but the Camden security stuff you said seemed pretty reasonable. Granted you had legitimate reasons to bring that stuff in, but think about how many excuses/reasons the security guys hear. Doesn't seem like they were really that out of line

I can understand your point of view, but deny some cookies to a diabetic person that can have problem means: "all diabetic people must stay at home..."

Don't you think? You can't imagine what you feel when you see you girlfriend saying that she is a problem...

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    security folk can be twats can't they, I mean they can really piss on the spirit of an otherwise great night....
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    Your problem is that you chose New Jersey as your first show. That will explain a lot of the people there :)

Hartford was an amazing show and I'm glad I went, but again -- Hartford, along with Camden, aren't fair representations of the America that I know hahahaa.

haha yeah hartford was bizzaro world. they pepper sprayed people walking back to the lots after the show!

As for the backpack/food issue, it's the general rule here at most venues like that. it's stupid of course, but those guys were just doing their job.
  • Options
    I don't think bringing a backpack into shows is a swift move, your asking for problems.

Just a different time we live in now.
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    ...but those guys were just doing their job.

Yes, I understand but why they doesn't use the brain?

• Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    Welcome to George Bush's America. Enjoy your stay!
  • Options
    Biss wrote:
    I can understand your point of view, but deny some cookies to a diabetic person that can have problem means: "all diabetic people must stay at home..."

Don't you think? You can't imagine what you feel when you see you girlfriend saying that she is a problem...

They may have heard that before from some kids with tainted cookies or brownies.
  • Options
    John Budge wrote:
    Here we go, let's get to the point... :)

• Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    John Budge wrote:

couldn't have said it better myself. I wish I could cop out and say that it was because you're in the Northeast or because you were in New Jearsey.... but before this tour I spend a year working abroad in several places and I now that I'm back I kind of understand why everyone hates Americans. Oh well.... tour is over... back to Thailand :)
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Biss wrote:
    We were in NYC just back from CT (04:00 am) and looking for the Alamo to give back the car and go to sleep when the GPS said

"turn on your right", but the street was "one way" and the sign was covered by some stuff of a working area...at this point 4

Pffft, I'd get rid of that GPS system, buddy. The Alamo is in freak'n Texas.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    Biss wrote:
    Yes, I understand but why they doesn't use the brain?

well you've just got a low-level employee there and they're really not allowed to use their brains. if they make an exception and it turns out to be a problem, it's their jobs on the line. You did the right thing by going to customer service, they're the ones you should talk to in these situations.
  • Options
    ...in the beginning I thought to share story #1 with the 10c too but I guess that nothing would change...

• Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    I have lots of European relatives, and they are all surprised by how our workers (security guards, attendants, etc.) don't really think. They just follow rules blindly using no discretion whatsoever.

What can I say. It's a different type of culture. We hire people with minimal training and fire them if they stray from the rules. It sucks sometimes.

Anyway, yeah, you should visit some other places in the US and see how different it is. Sorry your experience was bad.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    WilliedogWilliedog Posts: 43
    Biss wrote:

How long has she been diabetic? I am diabetic and never had a problem at any shows, until Camden 1 when they made me put a medical wrist band on after they found my insulin pump (after frisking me at the entrance). They took me aside and had me talk to an EMT and everything was fine. That was the first time that has happened to me there (I have been there 5 times) or any other type of concert. I guess it was just in case i passed out somewhere. I was carrying glucose tablets which they didn't have a problem with. Maybe if your girlfriend showed them some proof she was diabetic, like a glucometer or her insulin they would not have given her shit. Its kind of hard to believe someone when they arent carrying anything.....ya know.
  • Options
    I have lots of European relatives, and they are all surprised by how our workers (security guards, attendants, etc.) don't really think. They just follow rules blindly using no discretion whatsoever.

What can I say. It's a different type of culture. We hire people with minimal training and fire them if they stray from the rules. It sucks sometimes.

Anyway, yeah, you should visit some other places in the US and see how different it is. Sorry your experience was bad.

Thanks, I'll never stop to travel and surely I'll be back to US (as 10c gave the news about the new Ed tour we searched immediately for a flight...too expensive but no problem for coming back) but I'm also sorry for the nice persons Americans are. And I feel so sorry when I hear US people talking about freedom...you know what I mean?

• Options
    Williedog wrote:
    How long has she been diabetic? I am diabetic and never had a problem at any shows, until Camden 1 when they made me put a medical wrist band on after they found my insulin pump (after frisking me at the entrance). They took me aside and had me talk to an EMT and everything was fine. That was the first time that has happened to me there (I have been there 5 times) or any other type of concert. I guess it was just in case i passed out somewhere. I was carrying glucose tablets which they didn't have a problem with. Maybe if your girlfriend showed them some proof she was diabetic, like a glucometer or her insulin they would not have given her shit. Its kind of hard to believe someone when they arent carrying anything.....ya know.

Almost 3 years, she was ahead becouse of the poster, but they didn't let me call her, seems they were in a great hurry and didn't let me explain...

• Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    Danimal wrote:
    Pffft, I'd get rid of that GPS system, buddy. The Alamo is in freak'n Texas.

That's hilarious!

As for the freedom thing... well.... America used to be the land of the free.... now it's the land of the free for people who are rich and powerful!!

No, I'm on the fence. I think America sucks at the moment, but I'm an American, and that gives me the freedom to go anywhere in the world and do pretty much whatever I want. However, I've been in situations in my own country that I know would never have happened in other countries that I have lived. Oh well... the whole world in burning... let's enjoy it while we can!!

"It's a shame to awake, in a world of pain
    What does it mean when war has taken over?
    It's the same every day in a hell man-made
    What can be saved, and who will be left to hold her?

The whole world...
    World Over...
    Yeah, it's a world wide suicide"
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    Biss wrote:
    Thanks, I'll never stop to travel and surely I'll be back to US (as 10c gave the news about the new Ed tour we searched immediately for a flight...too expensive but no problem for coming back) but I'm also sorry for the nice persons Americans are. And I feel so sorry when I hear US people talking about freedom...you know what I mean?

If you come out to the west coast for a show, let me know.

The freedoms here are just different. We have much more of some freedoms than the Europeans do generally, but less of others. It's just...different.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    ciao Biss

this in unrelated to your post... but im studying spring semester in cortona, italy this upcoming year and just thought i would ask an italian whatre the must see things in italy that the common tourist wouldnt know to see? ill be in the country for 4-5 months so i should have lots of time for travel... id appreciate some advice... maybe even meet up with some italian PJ fans for drinks if there are lots of us :D

grazie

-Sean
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Hi Biss,

Did you trade pins with Eddie in Hartford???

I think you were in front of me!!!

Ciao
    Lisa
    How I choose to feel......is how I am.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    ciao Biss

this in unrelated to your post... but im studying spring semester in cortona, italy this upcoming year and just thought i would ask an italian whatre the must see things in italy that the common tourist wouldnt know to see? ill be in the country for 4-5 months so i should have lots of time for travel... id appreciate some advice... maybe even meet up with some italian PJ fans for drinks if there are lots of us :D

grazie

-Sean

Very good Sean,
    I'll be glad to share with you the beauty of Italy, so pm me!!!

Ciao!

• Options
    They may have heard that before from some kids with tainted cookies or brownies.

Exactly.. How is the security person going to know if the food was for someone who is diabetic, someone who had pot cookies or someone who was just too cheap to buy food at the arena... I brought a sealed water with me because I get thirsty.. Should the security person let me take it in? What if it was filled with vodka...

I'm not saying the rules are right.. but they are the rules and the security person is just doing their job... and probably getting paid nothing for that job.
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

• Options
    Hi Biss,

Did you trade pins with Eddie in Hartford???

I think you were in front of me!!!

Ciao
    Lisa

Yes that's me!!!
    My girlfriend gift a Mike's pick to a girl, are you?

• Options
    nimsu8 wrote:
    Exactly.. How is the security person going to know if the food was for someone who is diabetic, someone who had pot cookies or someone who was just too cheap to buy food at the arena... I brought a sealed water with me because I get thirsty.. Should the security person let me take it in? What if it was filled with vodka...

I'm not saying the rules are right.. but they are the rules and the security person is just doing their job... and probably getting paid nothing for that job.

This is funny it's like say:
    Every people dressed like rabbit must be lock in a mad house, who cares if they have been to a masked ball!

I hope they didn't get payed...

• Options
    Biss wrote:
    This is funny it's like say:
    Every people dressed like rabbit must be lock in a mad house, who cares if they have been to a masked ball!

I hope they didn't get payed...

i'm not sure what that means

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    nimsu8 wrote:
    i'm not sure what that means
    hes saying you shouldnt make assumptions for the worse... but for the sake of safty at a public event like a concert i agree with you... they cant take any chances
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    hes saying you shouldnt make assumptions for the worse... but for the sake of safty at a public event like a concert i agree with you... they cant take any chances

oh ok.. i'm not even saying I agree with the arena's rules... but they are the rules.