Options

My 2008 Tour experience great but...

Comments

• Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    Williedog wrote:
    How long has she been diabetic? I am diabetic and never had a problem at any shows, until Camden 1 when they made me put a medical wrist band on after they found my insulin pump (after frisking me at the entrance). They took me aside and had me talk to an EMT and everything was fine. That was the first time that has happened to me there (I have been there 5 times) or any other type of concert. I guess it was just in case i passed out somewhere. I was carrying glucose tablets which they didn't have a problem with. Maybe if your girlfriend showed them some proof she was diabetic, like a glucometer or her insulin they would not have given her shit. Its kind of hard to believe someone when they arent carrying anything.....ya know.

This medical wristband thing sounds like discrimination to me.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    RockMama wrote:

why? that sounds like a perfectly good idea. an easy way for them to recognize someone with a medical problem. is it discrimination for someone to have to post a handicap sticker on their car if they want to use a handicap parking spot?
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • Options
    Making you wear it against your will and drawing attention to your illness or disability is discrimination. I don't think they have to know who in the audience has a cold!
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    BissBiss Posts: 255
    RockMama wrote:

The doctor forced me to wear it too becouse of my "paracetamolo"...eheheheh becouse I had a f***ing cold! (Story #1)

I told exactly what you said to the customer service that night...

;)
    00: Milan
    06: Verona, Milan, Pistoia
    07: Storm in Venice, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    08: Camden I, MSG I, MSG II, Hartford
    09: Berlin, Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
    11: East Troy1, East Troy2, Montreal, Toronto1, Toronto2

Next Tour: everywere!
  • Options
    RockMama wrote:
    Making you wear it against your will and drawing attention to your illness or disability is discrimination. I don't think they have to know who in the audience has a cold!

is it discrimination to make people who bought a poster wear a bracelet for the rest of the show?
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

• Options
    nimsu8 wrote:
    is it discrimination to make people who bought a poster wear a bracelet for the rest of the show?

You can decide to wear it if you wont the poster or simply keep it in your pocket, infact they put it on you wrist or if you want you can just take it away...

• Options
    Biss wrote:
    You can decide to wear it if you wont the poster or simply keep it in your pocket, infact they put it on you wrist or if you want you can just take it away...

and the person who mentioned the medical bracelet could've done the same thing.

• Options
    nimsu8 wrote:

You are choosing to do that when you buy the poster. No one forces you to buy a poster.
  • Options
    RockMama wrote:
    You are choosing to do that when you buy the poster. No one forces you to buy a poster.

and no one forces you to go to a show.. when you do go to a show, they have rules.. you need to wear a pass to get backstage. is that discrimination against those that have backstage access? you need to wear a bracelet if you bring in medical equipment. you need to show your ticket to get to your seat.. they are just rules.

• Options
    WilliedogWilliedog Posts: 43
    It was discrimination.They took me aside in front of everyone while we were trying to get in....it took a few minutes until they found the emt, who treated me like i didn't know what diabetes was (I have had the disease since I was 7 and I am also an RN). They then slapped some green makeshift wrist band on me and wrote on it with a sharpie. I took the band off as soon as I got in the venue. If someone had AIDS would they slap a wrist band on them and write AIDS on it?
  • Options

• Options
    What about people who use wheelchairs. Can they ask them all kinds of questions about why they are using it and slap a band on them? Should a woman who is eight months pregnant be considered a medical problem?
  • Options
    RockMama wrote:
    What about people who use wheelchairs. Can they ask them all kinds of questions about why they are using it and slap a band on them? Should a woman who is eight months pregnant be considered a medical problem?

Exactly...

• Options
    RockMama wrote:

So should people in wheelchairs not get their own section? you think they should sit in the back of the arena with everyone else? isn't that discrimination?

• Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,556
    When people say "that's discrimination" they are usually impliedly saying "that's illegal discrimination."

Many forms of discrimination are necessary and completely reasonable. Many are completely unnecessary and unreasonable. Many others are tough calls that have pros and cons. Having a special elevator or section for people in wheelchairs is discrimination, of course, but it is legal and necessary. Quarantining someone with ebola at an airport or not allowing them to get onto a plane is legal and necessary discrimination.

But that's not what teh OP was talking about, so pardon the digression.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    i have friends who are diabetics... whats a few cookies? jesus christ.
    even if they thought you were lying (which you werent) give someone the benefit of the doubt.

some people need to learn how to loosen up, unfortunately people on a power trip aren't the ones to do that. what are you going to do? rip them off of a 7 dollar hotdog by eating cookies instead? huck baked goods at eddie vedder? he'd just donate the cookies to a food bank i'm sure, we all know the shoe story! :)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    bottom line is in both situations the security and the police are acting in the best interest of PUBLIC safety, not your individual safety. you may not like it or think it is fair - but "using judgement" isn't practical in these types of situations. can you imagine if everyone WAS allowed to bring whatever they wanted in? security would have to use their judgement in every case? these rules/laws are designed to keep everything running smoothly and safely. the last thing a venue needs is a multi million dollar lawsuit because some punk kid brought in a water bottle full of liquid acid and people started jumping off things.

a concert venue has rules designed with the publics safety in mind. the venue is a private place and they can have whatever rules they want within the law. you don't like their rules? go somewhere else. that's actually the definition of freedom on both sides of the coin.

this isn't Woodstock people. corporations rule the day. even PJ gave in to "evil" ticketmaster.

as far as the cops go - they put their lives on the line every day to keep the public safe. most of them are complete pricks but it's essentially a function of the job. for every 100 lost tourists driving the wrong way on a 1-way street in the middle of the night, there's one guy doing the same thing that's up to no good. the cops don't have time to "use judgement" - because the one time they let their guard down could be the one time it kills them or worse - a ton of other people. as a result they have rules and procedures that ARE designed to freeze and frighten you. you think it's out of the realm of possibility that a terrorist can play the "lost tourist" role? there are tons of stories of elderly couples who "got confused" and "forgot where they were going" - and turned out to be bank robbers or con artists.

this is the world we live in folks. yeah, question authority and rage against the machine. but just remember that 99% of the time, a cop or security guard is acting in the best interest of everyone's safety. it's just a necessary evil.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    jimc3 wrote:
    bottom line is in both situations the security and the police are acting in the best interest of PUBLIC safety, not your individual safety. you may not like it or think it is fair - but "using judgement" isn't practical in these types of situations. can you imagine if everyone WAS allowed to bring whatever they wanted in? security would have to use their judgement in every case? these rules/laws are designed to keep everything running smoothly and safely. the last thing a venue needs is a multi million dollar lawsuit because some punk kid brought in a water bottle full of liquid acid and people started jumping off things.

a concert venue has rules designed with the publics safety in mind. the venue is a private place and they can have whatever rules they want within the law. you don't like their rules? go somewhere else. that's actually the definition of freedom on both sides of the coin.

this isn't Woodstock people. corporations rule the day. even PJ gave in to "evil" ticketmaster.

as far as the cops go - they put their lives on the line every day to keep the public safe. most of them are complete pricks but it's essentially a function of the job. for every 100 lost tourists driving the wrong way on a 1-way street in the middle of the night, there's one guy doing the same thing that's up to no good. the cops don't have time to "use judgement" - because the one time they let their guard down could be the one time it kills them or worse - a ton of other people. as a result they have rules and procedures that ARE designed to freeze and frighten you. you think it's out of the realm of possibility that a terrorist can play the "lost tourist" role? there are tons of stories of elderly couples who "got confused" and "forgot where they were going" - and turned out to be bank robbers or con artists.

this is the world we live in folks. yeah, question authority and rage against the machine. but just remember that 99% of the time, a cop or security guard is acting in the best interest of everyone's safety. it's just a necessary evil.
    i see your points, but come on... cookies? the girl is diabetic!
    would they deny someone in a wheel chair or crutches? oh sorry, you could use your crutches as a weapon... you'll have to go somewhere else. i'm all for rules but theres got to be a little bit of compassion somewhere...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    would they deny someone in a wheel chair or crutches? oh sorry, you could use your crutches as a weapon... you'll have to go somewhere else. i'm all for rules but theres got to be a little bit of compassion somewhere...

are you telling me there were zero options inside the venue for a diabetic? there were no cookies or any other sugar snacks / goods available? what about a soda or an OJ? nothing? I'm not an expert of diabetes but is there some sort of medication available for an attack? anything like that would have to be cleared by the meds but certainly would be let in.

as far as wheelchairs go, almost every venue in the country is set up for wheelchair accessability and seating. I don't know but I think that if you are coming in a wheelchair you contact them ahead of time and they are prepared to accommodate you. crutches are prescribed by doctors, so I don't see how that is equal to cookies.
  • Options
    Rory1223Rory1223 Posts: 46

I think the problem was the girlfriend wasnt with him, she was on another line so it was "yeah, suuuuure your "girlfriend" is "diabetic"...nice story..."
    besides, once you let one person slide, then it's everyone else...soon it will be people wanting their bbq grills and kegs by their seats lol!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,489
    This post is hilarious if you imagine Borat's voice in your head while you read it...
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    I guess that the problem is that you can treat people like a guilty until you prove the opposite, WE MUST ALWAYS BE TREAT LIKE INNOCENT UNTIL YOU PROVE THE OPPOSITE!

Don't you think?!?!? C'mon!

• Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    jimc3 wrote:
    are you telling me there were zero options inside the venue for a diabetic? there were no cookies or any other sugar snacks / goods available? what about a soda or an OJ? nothing? I'm not an expert of diabetes but is there some sort of medication available for an attack? anything like that would have to be cleared by the meds but certainly would be let in.

as far as wheelchairs go, almost every venue in the country is set up for wheelchair accessability and seating. I don't know but I think that if you are coming in a wheelchair you contact them ahead of time and they are prepared to accommodate you. crutches are prescribed by doctors, so I don't see how that is equal to cookies.
    This implies that a diabetic person should carry additional money to purchase stuff at inflated prices, for them to enter the premises when he/she may have the appropriate remedies to address the medical condition already. They've paid good money for a ticket which enables entry to the venue already. There should be no additional essential cost for them- any money they bring in should be for discretionary spending.

This logic is stupid is what it is.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    my only complaint about 08 was that they didnt just stay forever.. but that happens to me every year :D

Why when at a show i just really hope that they decide to stay forever there.. im sick i tell you, sick! A never ending concert.. yep, thats my heaven :D
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    This implies that a diabetic person should carry money to enter the premises when he/she may have the appropriate remedies to address the medical condition already.

This logic is stupid is what it is.

Australia...our next trip :)

• Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Biss wrote:
    Australia...our next trip :)
    PM me if you need a tour guide.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    hey Blss i apologize for some of the people around here that are trying to take the police side of the story.see they are socially engineering the American people into gutless sheep who are all to willing to give up their freedom in the guise of safety.been this way since 9-11(inside job) and it's getting worse.a lot of Americans don't even know what their rights are anymore,we have been dumbed down over the past decade or two.
  • Options
    my only complaint about 08 was that they didnt just stay forever.. but that happens to me every year :D

Why when at a show i just really hope that they decide to stay forever there.. im sick i tell you, sick! A never ending concert.. yep, thats my heaven :D

that's so funny! i told my wife my version of heaven is that movie ground hog day,but it would be me getting up every morning and going to a Pearl Jam concert!!
  • Options
    hey Blss i apologize for some of the people around here that are trying to take the police side of the story.see they are socially engineering the American people into gutless sheep who are all to willing to give up their freedom in the guise of safety.been this way since 9-11(inside job) and it's getting worse.a lot of Americans don't even know what their rights are anymore,we have been dumbed down over the past decade or two.
    Hey Crazy Breed,
    I thank you so much for your support!
    Fortunely in US there are people like you that has got a big consciousness and awareness of how the situation really is.

I'm very sorry for US people, because the world judge and generalize but Americans are really nice person and they deserve to be free for real.

• Options
    MansMans Posts: 57

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    It's On The Inside And I Can't Get It Off.