Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,793
    Would never go to 4 years for Donaldson, but credit to Minny for going for it. Moving Sano over to 1st is such a huge boost for that team.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,245
    Would never go to 4 years for Donaldson, but credit to Minny for going for it. Moving Sano over to 1st is such a huge boost for that team.
    Not thrilled about picking up another aging power hitter, but it does fill a gap in the infield; however, with that pitching staff they're going to need to average about 6 or 7 runs a game to win the division. Most of the pitchers will be sitting on mid-4 to mid 5 ERAs. They'll need to be aggressive at the trade deadline this year and try not to trade away the future of the team for a long shot at a title.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,643
    tbergs said:
    Not thrilled about picking up another aging power hitter, but it does fill a gap in the infield; however, with that pitching staff they're going to need to average about 6 or 7 runs a game to win the division. Most of the pitchers will be sitting on mid-4 to mid 5 ERAs. They'll need to be aggressive at the trade deadline this year and try not to trade away the future of the team for a long shot at a title.
    It's hard to win in the postseason without good pitching...  You're right. they are going to need to lead the league in runs to have a chance in the first round.  I think they can win the central regardless, although the White Sox seem to be making their move. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    tbergs said:
    @tbergs Have you been to the new stadium the Twins play in?  If so what are your thoughts?  Looks awesome on tv.  My buddy and I are contemplating a trip out there to see a game.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    @tbergs Have you been to the new stadium the Twins play in?  If so what are your thoughts?  Looks awesome on tv.  My buddy and I are contemplating a trip out there to see a game.

I’ve been there....wouldn’t call it “awesome” but it’s 1000x better than the metrodome....the area around it is surprisingly seedy. :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    It's gorgeous.....imo.   But all the new parks are.  We got in and out by that Uber area down the first base line, so I didn’t notice any seediness.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

I’ve been there....wouldn’t call it “awesome” but it’s 1000x better than the metrodome....the area around it is surprisingly seedy. :lol:
    Oh I thought it was in downtown.  Didn’t realize that it was in a sketchy area.  I ve been to 16 mlb ballparks and Camden yards is still my favorite.  
  • Options
    He’s the most annoying of the bunch. After that walk-off hit in game six of the 2017 World Series, he said he knew what pitch was coming based on how that pitcher pitched him in the past. Bull...shit. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wobbie said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

Oh I thought it was in downtown.  Didn’t realize that it was in a sketchy area.  I ve been to 16 mlb ballparks and Camden yards is still my favorite.  
    @mcgruff10 It's a great venue for baseball and just wandering around. You won't regret going to a game. Hard to believe it's been 10 years already. The open design allows you to pretty much see the game from anywhere if you want to get up and wander around in between innings. Lots of great food and beer options. If you just want to stand and chill on a nice summer evening, there's the Budweiser roof deck which offers great views at a cheap price. I've gotten a couple of tours of the entire facility when some work conferences have been hosted there and it's nice. Our son has even been to a few birthday parties there where they include the tours and a chance to hit in the batting cage they have by the player's clubhouse. Both of my boys are signed up for a Twins camp this summer, which they are pumped for. 

I love that place. I try to catch at least a game every year and I've pretty much sat in every section and loved it. My favorite was probably the 3rd baseline about 16 rows up, great view. Transportation is easy with the light rail system running right up to the field and a large parking ramp near the Target Center connected via skyways just a few blocks away.

As for the area, it is not seedy at all. They are some old warehouses across the way beyond centerfield, but it's in a good area and walking distance to all the bars and restaurants in the area.

I don't miss the Metrodome (or the big inflatable toilet as it was referred to) at all.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    He’s the most annoying of the bunch. After that walk-off hit in game six of the 2017 World Series, he said he knew what pitch was coming based on how that pitcher pitched him in the past. Bull...shit. 
    Yup
  • Options
    So I have some more thoughts on this "Cheating Scandal".

Since it was player driven, why the hell weren't the players penalized?  I understand that they were given immunity but cmon...  Is baseball that fragile that if you suspend the teams 4 star players that the team will collapse into financial ruin or is it that the players are the product and that is what people pay to see and if they aren't there it would tarnish the sports image a great deal?

Another is the outrage that people are supposedly spewing/feeling.  On here I feel that we have a healthy debate but on twitter or FB the gloves are off and some people want lifetime bans.

Life time bans?  Really?  For who exactly?

I would also like people to stop the "what If's".  The Astros and Redsox were both stacked regardless.  They won.  You aren't taking anything away from them.  The WS trophy isn't being taken away.

I agree it's egregious but it shouldn't be treated like it was a cardinal rule that was broken.

Thoughts on the players is really what I am looking for and thoughts about how outraged you really are or will you be fine come opening day?
  • Options
    Yup
    What a smarmy jackass. This comment I noticed in that feed sums it up for me:

"It’s arrogance like this that makes a lot of people feel that the punishment was no where near enough. These players got away with it. Actions like this are the real black eye on the game."
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wobbie said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

@mcgruff10 It's a great venue for baseball and just wandering around. You won't regret going to a game. Hard to believe it's been 10 years already. The open design allows you to pretty much see the game from anywhere if you want to get up and wander around in between innings. Lots of great food and beer options. If you just want to stand and chill on a nice summer evening, there's the Budweiser roof deck which offers great views at a cheap price. I've gotten a couple of tours of the entire facility when some work conferences have been hosted there and it's nice. Our son has even been to a few birthday parties there where they include the tours and a chance to hit in the batting cage they have by the player's clubhouse. Both of my boys are signed up for a Twins camp this summer, which they are pumped for. 

I love that place. I try to catch at least a game every year and I've pretty much sat in every section and loved it. My favorite was probably the 3rd baseline about 16 rows up, great view. Transportation is easy with the light rail system running right up to the field and a large parking ramp near the Target Center connected via skyways just a few blocks away.

As for the area, it is not seedy at all. They are some old warehouses across the way beyond centerfield, but it's in a good area and walking distance to all the bars and restaurants in the area.

I don't miss the Metrodome (or the big inflatable toilet as it was referred to) at all.

Great info!  For some reason I really really want to go to Minnesota; your state just sounds awesome.  
  • Options
    Was there a banging garbage can or noise?  Was it confirmed that this was an incident of when they/he cheated?

Bregman is a smug asshole and that is why I like him though.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    tbergs said:
    Yup
    What a smarmy jackass. This comment I noticed in that feed sums it up for me:

"It’s arrogance like this that makes a lot of people feel that the punishment was no where near enough. These players got away with it. Actions like this are the real black eye on the game."
    Definitely agree. I get it's really difficult to punish players.  Some aren't even in the game any more, but come on.  I am not a bean ball guy, but hoping a couple of these dudes get one in the ribs.
  • Options

Since it was player driven, why the hell weren't the players penalized?  I understand that they were given immunity but cmon...  Is baseball that fragile that if you suspend the teams 4 star players that the team will collapse into financial ruin or is it that the players are the product and that is what people pay to see and if they aren't there it would tarnish the sports image a great deal?

Another is the outrage that people are supposedly spewing/feeling.  On here I feel that we have a healthy debate but on twitter or FB the gloves are off and some people want lifetime bans.

I would also like people to stop the "what If's".  The Astros and Redsox were both stacked regardless.  They won.  You aren't taking anything away from them.  The WS trophy isn't being taken away.

I agree it's egregious but it shouldn't be treated like it was a cardinal rule that was broken.

Thoughts on the players is really what I am looking for and thoughts about how outraged you really are or will you be fine come opening day?
    I was thinking about this the other day because baseball was my sport growing up and always has been. There is no other sport I would want to play professionally, except maybe tennis. I feel like baseball fans have been asked to stomach a lot of shit just in my lifetime, more so than any other sport except maybe football. We had the strike in '94, steroid era baseball, exploding player salaries, juiced ball era and now sign stealing to win championships. It fucking sucks. Am I outraged, no. This is a pretty minor issue in the scheme of things that are really impacting the world these days, but I think it is another major blow to the MLB. There have always been asshole players who draw attention (the Albert Belle's and John Rocker's), but this was an organized effort by a team; that's really shitty. I understand there's always peer pressure to go along with things, but these guys are all adults making millions of dollars a year, suck it up and have some integrity.

I felt the league came down semi-appropriately, but also conveniently took the easy route by letting the players off and not asterisking some stats and accomplishment by those teams. As for lifetime bans, maybe on that asshole Cora and any other person who orchestrated the behavior, but not on the players who participated. They should be fined and suspended though based on their role.

The problem is, I think the MLB knows there are too many teams and players that may have been doing the same thing, so by doing what they did, they limit the impact to the actual quality of the games by leaving players alone. Similar to the steroid issue, they know that extreme action will force them to impose sanctions on more people than they are comfortable with.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I haven’t read all about this but why so much hate directed towards Luhnow?
  • Options
    I don't buy the spin that it was "player driven".  If coaches/management knows and they don't stop it, it immediately shifts to being a management issue.  That's how companies work.  Employees come to me all the time with bad ideas.  Or we find terrible ideas beginning to take hold. It's management's responsibility to stop it.  If they don't, then it's tacit approval.  "Player driven" is total bullshit to me, and meant to save the organization's face. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't buy the spin that it was "player driven".  If coaches/management knows and they don't stop it, it immediately shifts to being a management issue.  That's how companies work.  Employees come to me all the time with bad ideas.  Or we find terrible ideas beginning to take hold. It's management's responsibility to stop it.  If they don't, then it's tacit approval.  "Player driven" is total bullshit to me, and meant to save the organization's face. 
    A manager is a shell of what they used to be but I would agree that they are a face now.

It IS player driven in that they orchestrated it in the dugouts.  It wan't the manager that bangs a garbage can.  The manager like you said, did nothing to stop it though.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    A manager is a shell of what they used to be but I would agree that they are a face now.

It IS player driven in that they orchestrated it in the dugouts.  It wan't the manager that bangs a garbage can.  The manager like you said, did nothing to stop it though.
    I'd call it 'player executed'... 
  • Options
    tbergs said:

I was thinking about this the other day because baseball was my sport growing up and always has been. There is no other sport I would want to play professionally, except maybe tennis. I feel like baseball fans have been asked to stomach a lot of shit just in my lifetime, more so than any other sport except maybe football. We had the strike in '94, steroid era baseball, exploding player salaries, juiced ball era and now sign stealing to win championships. It fucking sucks. Am I outraged, no. This is a pretty minor issue in the scheme of things that are really impacting the world these days, but I think it is another major blow to the MLB. There have always been asshole players who draw attention (the Albert Belle's and John Rocker's), but this was an organized effort by a team; that's really shitty. I understand there's always peer pressure to go along with things, but these guys are all adults making millions of dollars a year, suck it up and have some integrity.

I felt the league came down semi-appropriately, but also conveniently took the easy route by letting the players off and not asterisking some stats and accomplishment by those teams. As for lifetime bans, maybe on that asshole Cora and any other person who orchestrated the behavior, but not on the players who participated. They should be fined and suspended though based on their role.

The problem is, I think the MLB knows there are too many teams and players that may have been doing the same thing, so by doing what they did, they limit the impact to the actual quality of the games by leaving players alone. Similar to the steroid issue, they know that extreme action will force them to impose sanctions on more people than they are comfortable with.
    TBH the steroids thing never bothered me.  t was league wide and never had a bother with it.  But that is me.

With the league knowing that this was going on?  I don't think that they knew.  It took a former pitcher in Feirs to say something to launch an investigation not by the league but by REPORTERS!

Feirs doesn't open his mouth (this IS a cardinal rule that was broken) nobody knows the wiser.  Some players knew and they switched up the signs but never went public w that knowledge.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

I've been there as well.  The limestone is really cool to see, the atmosphere is great, the staff is super friendly, & Killebrew root beer is the bomb!  Plenty of stuff to do within walking distance.  I absolutely love Minneapolis!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

I've been there as well.  The limestone is really cool to see, the atmosphere is great, the staff is super friendly, & Killebrew root beer is the bomb!  Plenty of stuff to do within walking distance.  I absolutely love Minneapolis!
    If there isn't a Dan Gladden monument w his awesome flowing locks I have zero interest...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

If there isn't a Dan Gladden monument w his awesome flowing locks I have zero interest...
    Ha!  No Gladden statue... yet.
  • Options
    And Beltran is gone...
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,421
    Beltran quits
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    So, are the Orioles good, yet? I used to knit during baseball season as I would listen to the O's game on the radio and knit at the same time. Last year, I couldn't take it, and I only finished one blanket. Would you consider this a knitless year for the Orioles?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    So, are the Orioles good, yet? I used to knit during baseball season as I would listen to the O's game on the radio and knit at the same time. Last year, I couldn't take it, and I only finished one blanket. Would you consider this a knitless year for the Orioles?
    So long as Chris Davis is eating up so much of their modest budget, it's going to be tough for the O's.  He is so bad, and is paid so much.  
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Probably shouldn't invest in too much yarn
    This weekend we rock Portland