Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    Beltran was one of the main guys. But since he was a player he's protected. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    tbergs said:
    Strip their title, ban Lunlow, Hinch, & any other participant for life.  If we're gonna strip the 1919 White Sox, ban Shoeless Joe for life, ban Pete Rose for life, the same consistency needs to be delivered here. Send a fucking message.  Really think teams & owners give a flying fuck about not having an executive for a year, or losing a couple draft picks that'll likely never sniff the big leagues anyway, or some pocket change in the baseball world?

I mean, some girls who aren't even associated with nor employed by the league showed their boobs and they got a lifetime ban.
    You can't compare what the Black sox and Rose did to what the Astros did.  It's not even close.
    Not really. Just the exact opposite side of the coin. Still cheated and showed piss poor sportsmanship and respect for the game. Too bad the steroid era cheaters got to skate by with nothing.

not exactly nothing....bonds aka the greatest player of a generation gets blackballed from the HOF while the likes of harold baines goes in.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,796
    I don’t understand how no players were punished. The report says it was them and Cora who did it 
    Because how do you hand out penalties? This guy gets a year, that guy gets 5 games? I like that they're laying this at the feet of those in charge, other than the fact somehow the owner gets away scott free with just a drop in the bucket of $5M.

Cora was named 11 times in the report, Beltran only named once. Cora I'm all for since it looks like he took this culture to another team to be completely supportive of breeding a pervasive culture of cheating. Hopefully he gets a two year ban minimum.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,663
    I don’t understand how no players were punished. The report says it was them and Cora who did it 
    Because how do you hand out penalties? This guy gets a year, that guy gets 5 games? I like that they're laying this at the feet of those in charge, other than the fact somehow the owner gets away scott free with just a drop in the bucket of $5M.

Cora was named 11 times in the report, Beltran only named once. Cora I'm all for since it looks like he took this culture to another team to be completely supportive of breeding a pervasive culture of cheating. Hopefully he gets a two year ban minimum.
    It's also much easier to punish someone that isn't in a union.  And I agree, how do you punish two complete teams?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

Fair and I get that, the thing is that it was almost entirely player driven, at least from the report.  I get it though.

I think Cora is done.  Based on what the report said about Hinch, I think he has a shot at getting another job, but tough to see how Cora recovers.
  • Options
    I suspect the players' union would argue they were doing what they were instructed to do by their superiors or something.

That said, even if there's no sanctions or punishments from MLB, those players deserve ridicule in every stadium they step in. Bregman, Springer, Correa, etc. Fuck every one of those guys if they knew what pitches were coming. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I suspect the players' union would argue they were doing what they were instructed to do by their superiors or something.

That said, even if there's no sanctions or punishments from MLB, those players deserve ridicule in every stadium they step in. Bregman, Springer, Correa, etc. Fuck every one of those guys if they knew what pitches were coming. 
    I think they are going to get it pretty bad for a while, especially against teams they beat.  Players seem not thrilled from social media stuff from Bauer, Judge, Gleyber. 
  • Options

I think they are going to get it pretty bad for a while, especially against teams they beat.  Players seem not thrilled from social media stuff from Bauer, Judge, Gleyber. 
    Well speaking of social media, I loved this tweet by the Dodgers. Commenting on not commenting...

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Well speaking of social media, I loved this tweet by the Dodgers. Commenting on not commenting...

Yeah, that's good, passive aggressive stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Fair and I get that, the thing is that it was almost entirely player driven, at least from the report.  I get it though.

I think Cora is done.  Based on what the report said about Hinch, I think he has a shot at getting another job, but tough to see how Cora recovers.
    Yeah, I think Cora is done. He wasn't even the good Cora brother! I think Hinch is a very good manager regardless and will be back at some point. I think Lunhow is done, too.

But why doesn't Crane get the Steinbrenner treatment? Wasn't George suspended for a year?
  • Options
    Trevor Bauer has been roasting Astros players on Twitter. Bregman, in particular.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/trevor-bauer-has-been-roasting-astros-players-on-twitter-today

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Trevor Bauer has been roasting Astros players on Twitter. Bregman, in particular.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/trevor-bauer-has-been-roasting-astros-players-on-twitter-today
    Not gonna lie. A liiiiiiiiitle nervous about the spin stuff and a certain free agent pitcher contract.  Though am sure the team knows everything they need to know.
  • Options
    Also, it's amazing that, like, Fiers had to call this out. As if players don't talk, or would get fed up with this shit. You don't play for one org for your life. Sportsball players can really be dumb sometimes and really get caught up in the idea that they're loyal to a team. The only ownership of a team are by the literal owners and the fans.
  • Options

Yeah, I think Cora is done. He wasn't even the good Cora brother! I think Hinch is a very good manager regardless and will be back at some point. I think Lunhow is done, too.

But why doesn't Crane get the Steinbrenner treatment? Wasn't George suspended for a year?
    Lifetime!  But then was reinstated a few years later.  His was suuuuuper scummy.  Paying a gambler to dig up dirt on Winfield.
  • Options

Not gonna lie. A liiiiiiiiitle nervous about the spin stuff and a certain free agent pitcher contract.  Though am sure the team knows everything they need to know.
    It's a coming, is my guess.  Bauer knows what he's talking about in this area.  He pays attention to all of the data.  Honestly, if it turns out that the Astros (or Red Sox) were cheating on both sides of the ball...man, how do you let them keep the official WS title?
  • Options
    Haha, aw, man, this spin rate stuff is great. It lines up almost perfectly with Lunhow's McKinsey approach to everything.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

It's a coming, is my guess.  Bauer knows what he's talking about in this area.  He pays attention to all of the data.  Honestly, if it turns out that the Astros (or Red Sox) were cheating on both sides of the ball...man, how do you let them keep the official WS title?
    There's only one reasonable thing to do with their championship trophies...

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

There's only one reasonable thing to do with their championship trophies...

Haha... classic...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Charlie Morton had the best year of his career this year after leaving Houston.  Bauer says it's foreign substances.  So either Morton took it with him, which maybe, or they just know what they're doing from a pitching/mechanics perspective.  Obviously the Astros don't get the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Charlie Morton had the best year of his career this year after leaving Houston.  Bauer says it's foreign substances.  So either Morton took it with him, which maybe, or they just know what they're doing from a pitching/mechanics perspective.  Obviously the Astros don't get the benefit of the doubt.
    A question posed by ESPN, talking about how Crane won the day, even if the franchise lost..

How many owners in baseball would trade $5 million, four high draft picks and the firing of their GM and manager in exchange for a World Series title?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Strip their title, ban Lunlow, Hinch, & any other participant for life.  If we're gonna strip the 1919 White Sox, ban Shoeless Joe for life, ban Pete Rose for life, the same consistency needs to be delivered here. Send a fucking message.  Really think teams & owners give a flying fuck about not having an executive for a year, or losing a couple draft picks that'll likely never sniff the big leagues anyway, or some pocket change in the baseball world?

I mean, some girls who aren't even associated with nor employed by the league showed their boobs and they got a lifetime ban.
    You can't compare what the Black sox and Rose did to what the Astros did.  It's not even close.
    Sure you can, I just did. And you absolutely can compare the Astros to both.  It's about the punishment fitting the crime and being consistent for cheating the game of baseball on an organizational level.  That's exactly what the Black Sox did (minus Joe Jackson) and exactly what Rose did.  Cheated the game on an organizational level.  How is that not comparable?
  • Options

Sure you can, I just did. And you absolutely can compare the Astros to both.  It's about the punishment fitting the crime and being consistent for cheating the game of baseball on an organizational level.  That's exactly what the Black Sox did (minus Joe Jackson) and exactly what Rose did.  Cheated the game on an organizational level.  How is that not comparable?
    Did Rose cheat?  My understanding was he didn't bet against the Reds.  I'm not saying it's okay, but I don't know that I would call that cheating, if true. 
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    tbergs said:

Not really. Just the exact opposite side of the coin. Still cheated and showed piss poor sportsmanship and respect for the game. Too bad the steroid era cheaters got to skate by with nothing.

not exactly nothing....bonds aka the greatest player of a generation gets blackballed from the HOF while the likes of harold baines goes in.
    Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Clemens, et. al.  Some of the greatest to ever play the game.  Fuckin Baines, all he did was play a long time and put up far-from-great but also not-shitty numbers.  What a joke!  Baines career highlights:
    6x All-Star (played 22 seasons)
    AL Slugging leader (1984)
    Silver Slugger Award (1989)
    That's it.  All the highlights of Harold Baines career.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

A question posed by ESPN, talking about how Crane won the day, even if the franchise lost..

How many owners in baseball would trade $5 million, four high draft picks and the firing of their GM and manager in exchange for a World Series title?
    Someone on Yankees twitter asked if you'd trade the punishment the Astros got for the world series.  I wouldn't as a fan right now I don't think, especially since I've seen a bunch of titles, but you better believe Crane is perfectly good with what happened.
  • Options
    The difference I contend here is Houston looked to gain an advantage to win. The Black Sox, on the other hand, were breaking the integrity of the game by exposing they were in fact not trying to win. And with Rose you could argue the same by saying - other than taking his word (which what the hell is that worth?) for it - again the integrity of the game was broken and he left open the notion that he may have not given his full effort to win - or even moreso you could even argue the idea of insider trading on Rose's part (hell, even the same for the Black Sox) whether it was a game he was playing in or not. Those are the reasons for the Death Penalty for the Black Sox and Rose to me. That isn't to say I don't think either shouldn't be recognized in the HOF. 
  • Options

Not a very compelling argument, sorry.

Betting on baseball does not equal stealing signs.
  • Options

Stop comparing the two.  Cheating the game equals cheating the game. Period.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Yeah, once you completely undermine the integrity of the game to these extents isn’t it all a wash in which was worse? Rose says he didn’t bet against his team. If, huge “if”, you believe him, he still probably had decisions affected one way or another whether deliberate or not. I’m no it putting much stock in what a pedo says either.
  • Options

Stop comparing the two.  Cheating the game equals cheating the game. Period.
    It's not making it equal though.

I think most will agree with me.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I dont really have an opinion on the Astros either way, but I support MLB with such harsh punitive punishments.  

I think a large part of this, is the success the Astros have had.  You cant take the past away and strip World Series titles, etc... and we know by seeing the Patriots and USC that history really doesnt taint the wins, titles, and parades.  Not to mention the opportunity cost of the organizations and players affected by the Astros' success. 
    You have to affect the present and future to both punish the team AND have a deterrent.  The NFL should take notes.  The Astros knew what they were doing was illegal and proceeded.  

I have a lot of issues with MLB to the point that Im almost disgusted with how it is being managed.... but they got this one correct IMO.