Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    igotid88 said:
    Beltran quits
    tbergs said:
    And Beltran is gone...
    Not a surprise.  I called this when Cora got fired, ahem, parted ways I mean.

Who are they going to get?  Is David Wright available?

How about Buck Showalter?  I'd like to see him coach the Mets.
  • Options
    You know I am thinking more about this now and Beltran was the ONLY player mentioned in the report.  Coincidence?  He retired.  Did he become the scapegoat for the league?  The squeaky clean player that would most likely survive this in the long run became a martyr for the other players?

The more I look at this the more I think the league did a great job at masterminding damage control.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    You know I am thinking more about this now and Beltran was the ONLY player mentioned in the report.  Coincidence?  He retired.  Did he become the scapegoat for the league?  The squeaky clean player that would most likely survive this in the long run became a martyr for the other players?

The more I look at this the more I think the league did a great job at masterminding damage control.
    Not covered by the MLBPA... that's a big deal.  Plus after the two other managers were gone, it's hard for him not to be. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,246
    igotid88 said:
    Beltran quits
    tbergs said:
    And Beltran is gone...
    Not a surprise.  I called this when Cora got fired, ahem, parted ways I mean.

Who are they going to get?  Is David Wright available?

How about Buck Showalter?  I'd like to see him coach the Mets.
    I think I saw a mention of Showalter somewhere shortly after this announcement.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Not covered by the MLBPA... that's a big deal.  Plus after the two other managers were gone, it's hard for him not to be. 
    I get it.  I saw it coming right after Cora was gone.  

My question was if he was a scapegoat for MLB.  Looking at what has happened I proposed the question with those facts.

Is he a martyr?
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Fucking buzzers now? All these guys suck. No wonder their stats have been inflated the past few years. If they aren't taking away past titles, ban them from future playoffs.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. PLAYERS GOTTA GO.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    JK_Livin said:
    Fucking buzzers now? All these guys suck. No wonder their stats have been inflated the past few years. If they aren't taking away past titles, ban them from future playoffs.
    The clip of Altuve makes it pretty cut and dry.  He left the field immediately and came back on the field to celebrate too. 

Does anybody think this is going to stop before the union hangs these guys?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

• Options
    Apparently that pic is actually confetti. There are other pics of that. The altuve shit tho!!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Has it come out if the Astros pitchers had any idea this was going on?  
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,421
    Incarcerated Bob is behind the Beltran "niece" twitter account.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    Cheaters 
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208
    JK_Livin said:
    Unbelievable they have to be banned for at least a year.  Some of the pics on Twitter are pretty damning.  Hell even patriots fans couldn’t dismiss this as cheating
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Unbelievable they have to be banned for at least a year.  Some of the pics on Twitter are pretty damning.  Hell even patriots fans couldn’t dismiss this as cheating
    The pics on twitter?  You mean like the piece of confetti above?

I saw a wrinkle in a jersey and someone thinks it  was a wire. I don't know.  I think I'll wait for the professionals to do the investigating and not someone w way too much time to look at photos for that "gotcha" moment.

Basically I'm saying that I am not gathering my pitchforks just yet.  Even if this is true we all know they cheated already and this outrages you now compared to before?
    Image result for bregman jersey tear
    Not Beltrans niece.
    Trevor Bauer "heard" this too about the buzzers.
    https://clutchpoints.com/mlb-news-league-shoots-down-astros-buzzer-conspiracy-theories/
    No such buzzers.

Can the witch hunt end now or y'all still looking for em?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    If they wore buzzers it obviously takes it to a whole new level 
  • Options
    For me, it matters not whether they were banging a gong or getting it buzzed in.  It's just a more subtle mechanism for the same 'crime'. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    For me, it matters not whether they were banging a gong or getting it buzzed in.  It's just a more subtle mechanism for the same 'crime'. 
    I agree w this.

Taking outrage to another level over the same infraction is silly.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree w this.

Taking outrage to another level over the same infraction is silly.
    I will say this... it definitely sounds worse with the buzzers, although I don't think it's actually worse.  What it is, is more effective.  You won't miss the bang because of the crowd, especially on the road.  
  • Options
    I think implementing technology and attaching it to your body is much different than banging on a trash can 50 yards away
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,636
    I think implementing technology and attaching it to your body is much different than banging on a trash can 50 yards away

Agree. 

igotid88 said:
    I think this is cool.  Don't much care for the orange clown/sun-tan-your-balls-for-power manager, but like this move.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208
    pjhawks said:
    JK_Livin said:
    The pics on twitter?  You mean like the piece of confetti above?

I saw a wrinkle in a jersey and someone thinks it  was a wire. I don't know.  I think I'll wait for the professionals to do the investigating and not someone w way too much time to look at photos for that "gotcha" moment.

Basically I'm saying that I am not gathering my pitchforks just yet.  Even if this is true we all know they cheated already and this outrages you now compared to before?
    Image result for bregman jersey tear
    Not Beltrans niece.
    Trevor Bauer "heard" this too about the buzzers.
    https://clutchpoints.com/mlb-news-league-shoots-down-astros-buzzer-conspiracy-theories/
    No such buzzers.

Can the witch hunt end now or y'all still looking for em?
    so you are buying the 'he is shy' defense for why he didn't want his shirt ripped off and ran into the locker room to change his shirt while his teammates celebrated on the field after the chapman home run?  umm ok.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,443

https://calltothepen.com/2016/09/17/philadelphia-phillies-history-ingenious-sign-stealing-plot-discovered/

Philadelphia Phillies History: Ingenious Sign Stealing Plot Discovered

Stealing signs is nothing new in baseball. On this day in 1900, it was discovered that the Philadelphia Phillies were taking sign stealing to a whole new level.
    Every so often, there is a ruckus across baseball about teams stealing signs. In recent times, the Padres, the Cubs, and the Blue Jays have been accused of such nefarious practices, often involving some suspicious character with binoculars relaying the information. Yet, the most ingenious method of stealing signs may have been perfected by the Philadelphia Phillies in 1900.

What the Phillies did was utterly brilliant. Morgan Murphy, a backup catcher who played all of eleven games for the Phillies in 1900, would sit in the clubhouse and read the catcher’s signs using opera glasses.

Then, using a telegraph, he would relay those signs through a wire running under the outfield to a buzzer under the third base coaches’ box. The third base coach would then let the hitter know what was coming. It was seemingly the perfect scheme, until the plot was uncovered on this day in 1900 when the Philadelphia Phillies were facing the Cincinnati Reds.

Reds shortstop Tommy Corcoran, who had been pressed into duty as the third base coach, was the one who uncovered the plot. He uncovered the wire in the coaching box, which, upon investigation, led back to the telegraph machine and Murphy. And so ended one of the great sign stealing escapades in MLB history.

The plot being uncovered also put an end to Murphy’s tenure with the Phillies. A career .225/.286/.280 hitter, who had an OPS+ of 53, Murphy was kept around for his defense. And, in the Phillies case, because of his ability to work a telegraph and steal signs from opposing catchers.

It was an ingenious plan, as the Philadelphia Phillies were ahead of their time. However, like all crooked schemes, it was uncovered by an unwitting participant.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I don't get it. why is she a 'slump buster'?
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,796
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:
    I mean I'll bite - the inference is she's only good for sex to break a slump, clear their minds, etc. The further context is in a locker room full of dudes it would be a gangbag, So, rape. This dude's garbage. Fuck Huff.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,796
    Ah, and reading up here - DiCaro is a survivor of rape. Just pure class by Aubrey Huff here.
  • Options
    Ah, and reading up here - DiCaro is a survivor of rape. Just pure class by Aubrey Huff here.
    i see. If that's what he meant, then yeah.. POS.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Attractive girl that a sports guy sleeps with in order to improve his performance.

So I am guessing that Ms Julie is an attractive woman.

Putting females in the locker room is always going to draw out this type of behavior.  I don't think it will ever go away.