Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    Poncier said:
    Your team has the best player in the world. You should watch the Angels.
    They have no pitching.
    Still has the best player in the world. Reason alone to watch if you're an Angels fan.

This team will have some pop!

Not a damn pitcher but some pop!

not a winning formula.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    almost...not quite...my worst case scenario with Bum.

most despicable NL West teams:
    1. d**gers
    2. d-bags
    3. rockies
    4. pads

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    And I'll add Bonds is the greatest hitter of my lifetime.
    i don't know about that. Griffey Jr.? Tony Gwynn?

Greatest hitters that I've seen are Pujols 2001-2010, Barry Bonds, and Arod.

Trout is approaching that status.
    Agreed on all 3 with Trout in the making.  I'll add Manny Ramirez to the list.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Looks like the Angels are opening up the wallet this off-season.  Hopefully we get some pitching too!

I just read they declined the team option of $14 Million for Kole Calhoun.....not too high of a price for someone who hit over 30 HRs last season.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Looks like the Angels are opening up the wallet this off-season.  Hopefully we get some pitching too!

I just read they declined the team option of $14 Million for Kole Calhoun.....not too high of a price for someone who hit over 30 HRs last season.
    Get rid of Calhoun. He doesn't hit his weight.  Bring in someone else from the minors.  Bring up Adell.
  • Options
    Is anyone watchching/following Minor league ball?

Just curious if y'all have Wander Franco, Julio Rodriguez and Jarred Kelenic on your radar?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Wander Franco was the most sought after prospect in the card hobby this year.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    https://www.mlb.com/news/each-mlb-team-s-top-home-run-of-the-decade

The Dee Gordon one still brings the emotions out.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Between him and Julio, yes.

You collect cards?  I'm loading up on Hunter Bishop, Franco, Rodriguez and Kelenic.  I'm trying for both Franco's too from Miami.
  • Options
    Between him and Julio, yes.

You collect cards?  I'm loading up on Hunter Bishop, Franco, Rodriguez and Kelenic.  I'm trying for both Franco's too from Miami.
    Did when I was a kid, slowly getting back into it these past few months.  Only current player I'm collecting is Rizzo.  I'm not really into the prospecting aspect of it, mostly just buy a few packs on occasion & hope I get some ok hits or at least decent commons so I can trade for the handful of cards I want.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,448
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1843231

Yankees' German suspended 81 games for domestic violence
    1h ago
    Al Bello / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    NEW YORK NEW YORK - AUGUST 11 Domingo German 55 of the New York Yankees pitches against the Baltimore Orioles during their game at Citi Field on August 11 2019 in New York City

New York Yankees pitcher Domingo German has been suspended for 81 games for violating MLB's joint domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse policy, the league announced Thursday.

The suspension is retroactive to Sept. 19, when German was first placed on administrative leave stemming from the investigation, meaning he will miss 63 games in 2020.

Shortly after he was placed on administrative leave, a report from Bob Klapisch of The New York Times indicated that an official from the MLB commissioner's office witnessed German slapping his girlfriend in a public setting.

There is no police report regarding the incident, which was reported directly to the league office, sources told Lindsey Adler of The Athletic.

German will serve one of the longest domestic violence suspensions in the league's history, though he'll sit out fewer games than Hector Olivera (82), Odubel Herrera (85), and Jose Torres (100).

The Yankees released a statement regarding the suspension:

We remain steadfast in our support of Major League Baseball's investigative process and the disciplinary action taken regarding Domingo German. Domestic violence - in any form - is a gravely serious matter that affects every segment of our society. Major League Baseball has taken the lead in our industry to make domestic violence awareness and prevention a priority, and we will continue to back those efforts. We are encouraged by Domingo's acceptance of his discipline, and we sincerely hope this indicates a commitment to making a meaningful and positive change in his personal conduct.

As per the basic agreement's joint domestic violence policy, the club will have no further comment on this matter and refer all questions to the office of the commissioner.

As part of the suspension, which German did not appeal, the 27-year-old agreed to make a contribution to Sanctuary for Families, a non-profit based in New York City that works with victims of domestic violence. He'll also undergo further evaluation and treatment.

• Options
    cutz said:

1h ago
    NEW YORK NEW YORK - AUGUST 11 Domingo German 55 of the New York Yankees pitches against the Baltimore Orioles during their game at Citi Field on August 11 2019 in New York City

New York Yankees pitcher Domingo German has been suspended for 81 games for violating MLB's joint domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse policy, the league announced Thursday.

The suspension is retroactive to Sept. 19, when German was first placed on administrative leave stemming from the investigation, meaning he will miss 63 games in 2020.

Shortly after he was placed on administrative leave, a report from Bob Klapisch of The New York Times indicated that an official from the MLB commissioner's office witnessed German slapping his girlfriend in a public setting.

There is no police report regarding the incident, which was reported directly to the league office, sources told Lindsey Adler of The Athletic.

German will serve one of the longest domestic violence suspensions in the league's history, though he'll sit out fewer games than Hector Olivera (82), Odubel Herrera (85), and Jose Torres (100).

We remain steadfast in our support of Major League Baseball's investigative process and the disciplinary action taken regarding Domingo German. Domestic violence - in any form - is a gravely serious matter that affects every segment of our society. Major League Baseball has taken the lead in our industry to make domestic violence awareness and prevention a priority, and we will continue to back those efforts. We are encouraged by Domingo's acceptance of his discipline, and we sincerely hope this indicates a commitment to making a meaningful and positive change in his personal conduct.

As per the basic agreement's joint domestic violence policy, the club will have no further comment on this matter and refer all questions to the office of the commissioner.

As part of the suspension, which German did not appeal, the 27-year-old agreed to make a contribution to Sanctuary for Families, a non-profit based in New York City that works with victims of domestic violence. He'll also undergo further evaluation and treatment.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand we have No idea what he did...
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,448
    cutz said:

1h ago

According to this :    a report from Bob Klapisch of The New York Times indicated that an official from the MLB commissioner's office witnessed German slapping his girlfriend in a public setting.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    That is what was originally reported, that he slapped her at CC's foundation party in front of a lot of people.  That was shot down, but I guess it is something along those lines.  
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

1h ago

According to this :    a report from Bob Klapisch of The New York Times indicated that an official from the MLB commissioner's office witnessed German slapping his girlfriend in a public setting.
    That is what was originally reported, that he slapped her at CC's foundation party in front of a lot of people.  That was shot down, but I guess it is something along those lines.  
    So he slapped his woman then?  What a dick...
  • Options
    Sounds like it. Couple dirtballs on the Yanks.
  • Options
    yankees latin pitchers have trouble with our PC laws regarding women.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    yankees latin pitchers have trouble with our PC laws regarding women.
    and chickens...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    20 years ago we were wondering if the ball was juiced.  Turns out the answer was right in front of us.  This last year we were wondering if the ball is juiced ... again, the answer is probably right in front of us.

Would you rather be 20% stronger or know the next pitch that is coming?    
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    20 years ago we were wondering if the ball was juiced.  Turns out the answer was right in front of us.  This last year we were wondering if the ball is juiced ... again, the answer is probably right in front of us.

Do you think sign stealing is that rampant in baseball?

I would agree with you but the amount of K's that are growing each year would lend me to say not.

People are swinging out their wazoo's now and missing more than ever, but when they connect, oh lawdy!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Jason P said:

I would agree with you but the amount of K's that are growing each year would lend me to say not.

People are swinging out their wazoo's now and missing more than ever, but when they connect, oh lawdy!
    I think when other teams and players see the results and that it isn't being enforced you are putting your team at a disadvantage if you don't do it ... similar logic that justified steroids to some.  I understand the swing angle but knowing a pitch is an uber advantage.  I'm guessing that not all teams are doing it, but as former staff and players spread out, I could see other teams starting a dedicated team for stealing signs.

So let's say half of the MLB teams are stealing signs.  How many teams broke their team HR record last year?  Around half?
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

I think when other teams and players see the results and that it isn't being enforced you are putting your team at a disadvantage if you don't do it ... similar logic that justified steroids to some.  I understand the swing angle but knowing a pitch is an uber advantage.  I'm guessing that not all teams are doing it, but as former staff and players spread out, I could see other teams starting a dedicated team for stealing signs.

So let's say half of the MLB teams are stealing signs.  How many teams broke their team HR record last year?  Around half?
    I don't think it has anything to do with "launch angles", those are just buzz words that they throw around.  Lots of older players were swinging uppercuts like Griffey, Bonds and Bagwell that I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't care if players steal signs but if they are doing it with electronics then that is not right.

I always wondered if when he was banging on the dugout if he was just banging or was tipping signs?
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

I don't think it has anything to do with "launch angles", those are just buzz words that they throw around.  Lots of older players were swinging uppercuts like Griffey, Bonds and Bagwell that I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't care if players steal signs but if they are doing it with electronics then that is not right.

I always wondered if when he was banging on the dugout if he was just banging or was tipping signs?
    Those guys are homerun hitters. But everyone is doing it even with 2 strikes. Back then you would just try to put the ball in play with 2 strikes
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Anyone see this what this jackass did?  No wonder his MLB career only lasted the length of a 19th century season.
  • Options
    Anyone see this what this jackass did?  No wonder his MLB career only lasted the length of a 19th century season.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzjPnNYYCEU
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

Those guys are homerun hitters. But everyone is doing it even with 2 strikes. Back then you would just try to put the ball in play with 2 strikes
    They swing out their wahzoo w 2 strikes too.  It's either a HR or a strikeout.
  • Options
    And this is why you will never play in the MLB...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    how could his teammates even justify getting lathered up to defend this guy?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    And this is why you will never play in the MLB...
    He already did.  144 games for the 08-09 Dbacks. 36 year old nobody. I'd say he's washed up but he never had it to begin with.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on