MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/01/08/former-cardinals-scouting-director-to-be-indicted-for-hacking-the-astros-today/

How is this not the biggest deal ever? How are there not some insane penalties on the Cards?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

Is Barry Bonds the best player of a generation? Yes/No

Is Clemens one of the best pitchers of a generation? Yes/No

Statistically speaking, yes, but those stats weren't necessarily legit and earned without aid.
    Their statistics are 100% legit and were earned by playing within the rules of the league at the time.
    how's that? ... steroids were banned unofficially till they were officially banned in 2005
    In 1990, Congress passed the Anabolic Steroids Control Act, making steroids a Class III substance (same as amphetamines, opium, morphine). As a response, MLB mentioned steroids as part of the illegal drugs/controlled substances memo in 1991. However, there were no standards constituting education, testing, punishment, or even what specific drugs were considered.

I mean, if you can prove that these players were all injecting themselves with anabolic steroids, and thus performing illegally, then I'll eat crow for dinner. The fact is, players used other performance enhancers to circumvent the controlled subtances ban; substances that were not specifically mentioned as being banned and were perfectly legal in the eyes of the sport. And as the home runs were being hit and viewership & attendance were rising, what did MLB do? Turned a blind eye because they were raking in millions. MLB promoted it. They created the monster. Why should the players' accomplishments during that era suffer because of that?

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

Statistically speaking, yes, but those stats weren't necessarily legit and earned without aid.
    Their statistics are 100% legit and were earned by playing within the rules of the league at the time.
    how's that? ... steroids were banned unofficially till they were officially banned in 2005
    In 1990, Congress passed the Anabolic Steroids Control Act, making steroids a Class III substance (same as amphetamines, opium, morphine). As a response, MLB mentioned steroids as part of the illegal drugs/controlled substances memo in 1991. However, there were no standards constituting education, testing, punishment, or even what specific drugs were considered.

I mean, if you can prove that these players were all injecting themselves with anabolic steroids, and thus performing illegally, then I'll eat crow for dinner. The fact is, players used other performance enhancers to circumvent the controlled subtances ban; substances that were not specifically mentioned as being banned and were perfectly legal in the eyes of the sport. And as the home runs were being hit and viewership & attendance were rising, what did MLB do? Turned a blind eye because they were raking in millions. MLB promoted it. They created the monster. Why should the players' accomplishments during that era suffer because of that?
    Yep
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3884416

don't get me wrong ... i'm not saying the mlb is innocent here ... they are just like every other league in their motivations ...

i do think at the heart of it all - all those guys cheated and they know they cheated ... mcgwire knew he cheated and so did all the others ... if they managed to circumvent rules but did not cheat - why cover it up? ... pro sports is all about trying to circumnavigating rules ...

i also believe that there were players who chose not to cheat ... and denying some of these guys entry into the HOF is, albeit, a token gesture that they did the right thing ... rewarding people who knowingly cheated doesn't seem right to me ...
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

don't get me wrong ... i'm not saying the mlb is innocent here ... they are just like every other league in their motivations ...

i do think at the heart of it all - all those guys cheated and they know they cheated ... mcgwire knew he cheated and so did all the others ... if they managed to circumvent rules but did not cheat - why cover it up? ... pro sports is all about trying to circumnavigating rules ...

i also believe that there were players who chose not to cheat ... and denying some of these guys entry into the HOF is, albeit, a token gesture that they did the right thing ... rewarding people who knowingly cheated doesn't seem right to me ...
    Sounds good. So please provide a list of people who cheated and who didn't. Easy as that.

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

Sounds good. So please provide a list of people who cheated and who didn't. Easy as that.
    well ... sure ... it's all speculation and for sure some are gonna get through the cracks because they don't have the integrity to admit to cheating ...

but who currently being blacklisted doesn't have some reasonable evidence against them?
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

well ... sure ... it's all speculation and for sure some are gonna get through the cracks because they don't have the integrity to admit to cheating ...

but who currently being blacklisted doesn't have some reasonable evidence against them?
    Cracks? Dude, some speculated that almost 90% of big leaguers were juicing. That is not people slipping through cracks. That is 9 our of 10 players going into the hall from a time period likely cheated, regardless if their name is associated with it or not.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    Everyone cheated. Even in the 1920s
    I miss igotid88
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,857

1. No, not just a generation. Barry Bonds is the greatest player of all-time.
    2. Yes.
    HesCalledDyer is the man!!

I would not be shocked if, at some point, Griffey Jr. had a little "help." Most think Piazza did. As Cliffy said, the HOF is a museum and IMHO you shouldn't leave out guys who had the impact of Bonds, Clemens, Rose, etc.

Bagwell will probably get in and I'd bet the ranch that he juiced.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    igotid88 said:

Yep

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

Cracks? Dude, some speculated that almost 90% of big leaguers were juicing. That is not people slipping through cracks. That is 9 our of 10 players going into the hall from a time period likely cheated, regardless if their name is associated with it or not.
    do you believe 90% of players inducted in the last decade cheated?
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

No, not necessarily, but there is no way of knowing

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

what do you think that number is like ... objectively and honestly ...

i'm obviously no expert ... but if the number is like 30% and we can go through the names - I'd kind of agree but in a sad kind of way ... if it's like 5% ... then I'd be more leaning towards - those guys will be found out ... I think guys like Griffey and Halladay speaking up against dopers is telling on how some players feel about these guys ...
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747

igotid88 said:

Yep
    And, they didn't play against the best players either.
  • http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/01/08/former-cardinals-scouting-director-to-be-indicted-for-hacking-the-astros-today/

How is this not the biggest deal ever? How are there not some insane penalties on the Cards?

Because it's the Cardinals. MLB's golden child. Second, because this came out 1 day before the NFL playoffs start and 3 days before the CFP Championship. Had it been released on April 3rd, big difference in publicity.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited January 2016
    Or it could be the Cardinals cooperated 100%, dumped the guy and the guy was a rogue employee that's taken full responsibility. Also, results probably weren't affected as much as Cardinal haters want to believe. They deserve some punishment, but they're not repeat offenders and they didn't have any knowledge of it going on. And maybe they're getting a break since it was pretty idiotic for the Astros to not change passwords.
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

what do you think that number is like ... objectively and honestly ...

i'm obviously no expert ... but if the number is like 30% and we can go through the names - I'd kind of agree but in a sad kind of way ... if it's like 5% ... then I'd be more leaning towards - those guys will be found out ... I think guys like Griffey and Halladay speaking up against dopers is telling on how some players feel about these guys ...
    yeah rafael palmiero is down on the dopers, too. wait, what?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Boras does his thing again. Awful contracts...
  • Boras does his thing again. Awful contracts...

Crazy. The rest of the OF market should play out here now. Really hoping the white sox end up with Cespedes or Upton. But not for anything longer than 4-5 years. These 6-7 year deals are just terrible.
    Mejia is the first player permanently suspended for PEDs
    I was just reminded that harper and papeldouche are still on the same team :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    Tony Phillips has passed away
    I miss igotid88
    I am pretty sure Cespedes is my new favorite player.

Insane cars...done
    Buying a pig at a state fair...done
    Riding a horse to spring training...done

Dude is living it up.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

Insane cars...done

Dude is living it up.

My favorite so far is him giving the keys to the Lambo to one of the kitchen staffers to go get Eggos at Target. Apparently he only eats round waffles, and they had square that morning.

Insane cars...done

Dude is living it up.

My favorite so far is him giving the keys to the Lambo to one of the kitchen staffers to go get Eggos at Target. Apparently he only eats round waffles, and they had square that morning.

HAHAHA. Yes, I did see this. All for round waffles!
  • I laughed at all of this YC stuff as well -- truly hope we dont read about him being broke in 10 years. Some of these guys spend money like it is water and save nothing. Hard to imagine knowing how big the checks are, but I guess it is all relative. Hopefully he knows enough to save a wad to live on after the checks stop coming.
    That is a sweet, sweet ride.

As a Reds fan everything is downhill from here, sadly.
    0-0 and start Spring Schedule today.
    Team sold off a bunch and will continue to sell if you believe reports.

With Homer Baily and John Lamb still not ready, here is what appears to be the top 5 to head into the season as starting pitching for my beloved Redlegs:

Anthony DeSclafani
    Raisel Iglesias
    Michael Lorenzen
    Brandon Finnegan
    Jon Moscot

Holy crap. Even if you play the Spring Training Best Case Scenario Optimism Abounds game....that is not a group that gets you close to the playoffs. If Homer and Lamb came back early I guess there are some crazy fans who would go on potential and try to make a case for Wild Card contention but I think they lose 100 games.

Everyday lineup projection:

C - Devon Mesoraco
    1B - Joey Votto
    2B - Brandon Phillips
    (wait, why was I so down on this team? First three guys listed all could be very good!)
    SS - Zack Cozart
    3B - Eugenio Suarez
    LF - Jesse Winkler (rookie, hope they start him with the big club. Otherwise, some bum out there)
    CF - Bill Hamilton
    RF - Jay Bruce (soon to be of the Orioles I think. If so, some bum out there.)

This is why I am so down on them. If Bruce goes this lineup is the worst in their division. If they have a good year and get solid production from their veterans (Votto, Phillips), keep Bruce, and see growth from youngsters (Meso, Suarez, Hamilton, Winkler) they could soar.....up 1 spot and pass the shitty Brewers. The SP is such a grease fire!

Damn -- bad club, gonna be a long year.

How do others like their teams?

Just to get this out of the way now -- f all of you Giants fans and your every-other-year bs. (JK, obviously I would love for my team to be doing that well!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • I'm seeing the Reds on Wednesday next week and will let you know how they look. If you want me to heckle any pitchers let me know. Sitting front row next to where the pitchers have to walk by from pen. It's in Giants stadium so no one will complain should I unleash some profanity laced insults on a Reds pitcher.

So far as the Giants it's an even year. World Series is coming back to San Fran. Posey hits his normal .320 with 25 homers, Cueto is old Cueto and ends in top 10 in Cy Voting with MadBum getting World Series MVP again.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Bring something for your kids if they like DatDudeBP Brandon Phillips at all. He is cool and talks with people alog the rail quite a bit usually.
    I don't boo anyone except for Yadi Molina.
    Hope Cueto is great for you.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    The Harper and Gossage stuff is awesome. For the record, Harper is correct.

Gossage is the pits. Go away.
    Also, this. Don't flip your bat, but drill 10 year olds with a big league fastball.