MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

The Harper and Gossage stuff is awesome. For the record, Harper is correct.

Gossage is the pits. Go away.

What did he say about Harper?
    I agree with Goose on Bautista. Fuck that bat throwing (yes, throwing, that was NOT a flip) son of a bitch. If that shit becomes the new "end zone dance" I'm gonna be furious as hell. And MLB is promoting it. I look forward to pitchers drilling every fucker that throws their bat this season. Although I admit, Bautista handled Goose's comments with grace.
    Also agree with Goose on Ryan Braun & the sabermetric nerds. WAR is the dumbest fucking stat ever. It's not even a real stat, it's a theory that cannot be proven or applied.
  • Bring something for your kids if they like DatDudeBP Brandon Phillips at all. He is cool and talks with people alog the rail quite a bit usually.
    I don't boo anyone except for Yadi Molina.
    Hope Cueto is great for you.

He did spend a good 15 minutes at the rail. I couldn't make it over. I wanted to ask him why he keeps blocking trades? Does he like playing for a loser?
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

I agree with Goose on Bautista. Fuck that bat throwing (yes, throwing, that was NOT a flip) son of a bitch. If that shit becomes the new "end zone dance" I'm gonna be furious as hell. And MLB is promoting it. I look forward to pitchers drilling every fucker that throws their bat this season. Although I admit, Bautista handled Goose's comments with grace.
    Also agree with Goose on Ryan Braun & the sabermetric nerds. WAR is the dumbest fucking stat ever. It's not even a real stat, it's a theory that cannot be proven or applied.
    So you agree with Gossage on everything then?

Nothing about Harper, they just both had things come out the same day with very different opinions.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/03/10/bryce-harper-baseball-is-a-tired-sport-because-you-cant-express-yourself/

It's a sport for gods sake. Have some fun.
    edited March 2016
    Pretty pretty sure if I hit that home run Bautista hit, I would be doing somersaults around the bases.

And just to add, I cannot stand Bautista.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,926

Pretty pretty sure if I hit that home run Bautista hit, I would be doing somersaults around the bases.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

The antiquated hot takes of unwritten rules, how you're "supposed" to play the game, and all that bullshit, is what's holding the sport back. Make it a goddamn circus for all I care. ENTERTAIN ME.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

The antiquated hot takes of unwritten rules, how you're "supposed" to play the game, and all that bullshit, is what's holding the sport back. Make it a goddamn circus for all I care. ENTERTAIN ME.
    Bingo
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821
    I love hearing from these crusty old fucks like Gossage. Funny stuff

Nothing about Harper, they just both had things come out the same day with very different opinions.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/03/10/bryce-harper-baseball-is-a-tired-sport-because-you-cant-express-yourself/

Gotcha. I found the Harper article. I agree with him to an extent. There is a HUGE difference between celebrating an in-game achievement and being a complete jackass like Bautista with his bat throw, though.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,926

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Bingo
    Out of the four major sports I'd say baseball players are the least likely to laugh at themselves.
    And no, I don't agree with Goose on everything. He comes off with a bit of "get off my lawn" mentality with some of the stuff he said.
    edited March 2016

Gotcha. I found the Harper article. I agree with him to an extent. There is a HUGE difference between celebrating an in-game achievement and being a complete jackass like Bautista with his bat throw, though.
    Dude, that game. After what happened in the top half of the inning, to hit that home run, in that situation. Bananas.

I'm just of the mindset that its sports, have fun. Everything else in life is supposed to be serious. Let people show emotion in sports
    That was a wild inning, for sure! I agree, have fun. But I just don't see his reaction as a celebration or having fun, that was being a fuckwit. We'll agree to disagree... glad the Royals won the series.
  • Bring something for your kids if they like DatDudeBP Brandon Phillips at all. He is cool and talks with people alog the rail quite a bit usually.
    I don't boo anyone except for Yadi Molina.
    Hope Cueto is great for you.

He did spend a good 15 minutes at the rail. I couldn't make it over. I wanted to ask him why he keeps blocking trades? Does he like playing for a loser?
    I think he built a house there and his family is settled there, he agreed to a long term deal there & loves it. I am a fan of his play and of some of the things he says. Love how open he is with the fans. He signed for my nephew two years in a row -- he and Todd Frazier were the only guys to stand there and sign as many as they could. Both came back to the rail a few times to sign more. Other guys signed but it wasn't a priority to them like it clearly was for Frazier and Phillips. Obviously I wasn't getting signatures. I got dugout seats so that I could be close and enjoy seeing my favorite team. My then 9 and 10 year old nephew? 2 of the coolest days of his life thus far thanks to guys like these.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Adam LaRoche is retiring and turning down $13M because the Sox asked him not to bring his 14 year old son to the clubhouse every day.

usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/03/16/adam-laroche-retires-over-family-dispute-white-sox/81871856/
    Jason P said:

Adam LaRoche is retiring and turning down $13M because the Sox asked him not to bring his 14 year old son to the clubhouse every day.

usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/03/16/adam-laroche-retires-over-family-dispute-white-sox/81871856/

As a Sox fan, I am thrilled that LaRoche is retiring. He was fucking garbage last year. And I'm 100% with Kenny Williams telling him to dial it back a bit. Having your kid there every single day is absolutely ridiculous. The kid even had his own locker and would go on road trips!
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,377

Jason P said:

As a Sox fan, I am thrilled that LaRoche is retiring. He was fucking garbage last year. And I'm 100% with Kenny Williams telling him to dial it back a bit. Having your kid there every single day is absolutely ridiculous. The kid even had his own locker and would go on road trips!
    Agree.
    Laroche is just fucking weird.
    And the White Sox are at fault for letting the whole situation take place.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

Jason P said:

Yeah, I'm guessing management were giving each other high fives to clear that contract.

Jason P said:

Agree.
    Yeah, it probably never should have gotten to this point in the first place. But at the same time, the Sox are LaRoche's employer and instead of doing what they asked him to do, he decides to run away and retire.
  • He is in the position where he can retire...and I agree that the organization should have cut that shit off a while back. Why would that be acceptable?!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,377

Jason P said:

Agree.
    Yeah, it probably never should have gotten to this point in the first place. But at the same time, the Sox are LaRoche's employer and instead of doing what they asked him to do, he decides to run away and retire.
    $13M

The White Sox are more than thrilled that this weirdo is walking away.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Jason P said:

Agree.
    $13M

The White Sox are more than thrilled that this weirdo is walking away.
    Absolutely! $13M free to make a big move now or sometime during the season and get rid of a black hole in the lineup. Besides a little bit of bad PR possibly, this all worked out great for the Sox.

He is in the position where he can retire...and I agree that the organization should have cut that shit off a while back. Why would that be acceptable?!

Apparently a few players complained about the kid being in the clubhouse constantly so that explains the timing of this. I don't blame them one bit....could you imagine being a major league baseball players and having to watch what you say in the clubhouse because some guy can't come to work without his kid??? Ridiculous.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    Braves fan here. Wondering if we're actually going to field a team with MLB-caliber players this year. Of course, anybody of any worth is likely to get traded for a pitching prospect that will be ready in 2019 :lol:
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,743

He is in the position where he can retire...and I agree that the organization should have cut that shit off a while back. Why would that be acceptable?!

Apparently a few players complained about the kid being in the clubhouse constantly so that explains the timing of this. I don't blame them one bit....could you imagine being a major league baseball players and having to watch what you say in the clubhouse because some guy can't come to work without his kid??? Ridiculous.
    Yeah, i agree: shouldn't be bringing your kid to work. Besides, shouldn't he be in school right now?>LOL!!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

Abso-fucking-lutely.

frig ... even in golf you are allowed to pimp a drive and fist pump a putt ... baseball is a joke when it comes to this stuff ... it doesn't like someone flipping a bat but it's ok to send a 98 mph fastball at someone's head or slide hard with your cleats up ...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,856
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Apparently Sale just went bananas at Williams
    edited March 2016

Great start to the season here!

Seeing a lot that the Sox said the kid could be around last year. Well, things change when the team is fucking garbage and you hit .200. At the end of the day, you do what your boss tells you to do. If you don't like it, then you walk away from $13M like this idiot is doing.

Seeing a lot that the Sox said the kid could be around last year. Well, things change when the team is fucking garbage and you hit .200. At the end of the day, you do what your boss tells you to do. If you don't like it, then you walk away from $13M like this idiot is doing.
    Agreed and it's none of other players business. I am sure everyone I work with would be just fine if I brought my dog in everyday, but it's not up to them.

Agreed and it's none of other players business. I am sure everyone I work with would be just fine if I brought my dog in everyday, but it's not up to them.
    Yep. Can't believe this is such a huge thing. Give it a week and the internet will have something else to be outraged about and this will be a great thing for the Sox. They get rid of one of their worst players and save $13M which gives them more flexibility to make another move. Win-win