Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited April 2015
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.
    fuck lacrosse too while, we're at it. they've been stealing spring athletes that would've normally played baseball since I was in high school.
    By far the most fun sport to play
    did you not play baseball in hs then?

Soccer and lacrosse. Soccer in college but a lot of my friends played college lacrosse.
    If you played lacrosse in high school chances are you played it in college (unless you played another sport in college).

lacrosse bros are the fucking worst. I'm with juggler...fuck lacrosse
    Come again? This is very stupid.
    everyone who plays lacrosse plays in college because there are like 3 states that participate in that dumb sport. most of these guys have the athletic talents of a guy with two left feet
    Good god

Baseball requires more athletic talent than lacrosse?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.
    fuck lacrosse too while, we're at it. they've been stealing spring athletes that would've normally played baseball since I was in high school.

Soccer and lacrosse. Soccer in college but a lot of my friends played college lacrosse.
    If you played lacrosse in high school chances are you played it in college (unless you played another sport in college).

everyone who plays lacrosse plays in college because there are like 3 states that participate in that dumb sport. most of these guys have the athletic talents of a guy with two left feet
    Good god
    maybe I've just spent too much time in Maryland. I need to get the hell out of this place

lacrosse players are pretty much cut from the same mold. parted haircut that hangs in their face, tuck their t-shirts into their corny lacrosse shorts (but only tuck the front part of their shirt in), terrible sounding name (like harrison or aiden), think lacrosse is the best sport on the planet, etc.

most of these guys can't dribble a basketball three times without it bouncing off their foot, but somehow they all played college lacrosse.
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.

Good god
    maybe I've just spent too much time in Maryland. I need to get the hell out of this place

lacrosse players are pretty much cut from the same mold. parted haircut that hangs in their face, tuck their t-shirts into their corny lacrosse shorts (but only tuck the front part of their shirt in), terrible sounding name (like harrison or aiden), think lacrosse is the best sport on the planet, etc.

most of these guys can't dribble a basketball three times without it bouncing off their foot, but somehow they all played college lacrosse.
    Stereotyping is your M.O.

I played soccer and lacrosse, was highly regarded in both at a regional level. Was terrible at basketball but also hated playing it. Never really like organized sports in doors. Played D2 college soccer in the best conference in the country. And I also have a fairly annoying name.

While I would agree that most people who are half way decent at lacrosse would be able to find a division 3 school to play at (as I would argue is the case with any sport), I played with an All American in high school who didn't get recruited by the big schools. Played division 1, but on the second tier. Pretty difficult to get into those programs.
    edited April 2015

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.

Good god

I played soccer and lacrosse, was highly regarded in both at a regional level. Was terrible at basketball but also hated playing it. Never really like organized sports in doors. Played D2 college soccer in the best conference in the country. And I also have a fairly annoying name.

While I would agree that most people who are half way decent at lacrosse would be able to find a division 3 school to play at (as I would argue is the case with any sport), I played with an All American in high school who didn't get recruited by the big schools. Played division 1, but on the second tier. Pretty difficult to get into those programs.
    a lot of stereotypes are accurate. PA drivers, lacrosse guys, dave matthews fans, girls with tattoos on their lower backs, etc.

isn't lacrosse the oldest sport in the US? why is the majority of it only played in four states? probably because it sucks
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.

Good god

Baseball requires more athletic talent than lacrosse?
    I love baseball, was my favorite sport to play, and while it was not the sport I was best at in high school (I went to USC and had no fucking prayer of playing any sports at the college level there!) I would hardly describe baseball as a sport for big time athletes. You have to have certain gifts -- and you have to work like a dog to develop them - to excel at baseball but there are some UN-athletic looking dudes that play ball.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    most of the successful D-1 lacrosse programs are good academic schools...hopkins, syracuse, virginia, duke, princeton, towson, etc. I'm sure that weeds out who qualifies to play there to an extent.

Also seems like there are ton of podunk schools in middle of nowhere that have college programs where anyone who can hold a lacrosse stick and run at the same time can make the team.

I don't think your name is douchey sounding either.
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.

Good god

a lot of stereotypes are accurate. PA drivers, lacrosse guys, dave matthews fans, girls with tattoos on their lower backs, etc.

isn't lacrosse the oldest sport in the US? why is the majority of it only played in four states? probably because it sucks
    Perhaps stereotypes are also true for people with Napoleon complex....

Because it was a regional native american sport. I would say that the boom in the last 15 years or so shows how good of a sport it actually is.

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.

Good god

Because it was a regional native american sport. I would say that the boom in the last 15 years or so shows how good of a sport it actually is.
    I'm 5'11, so I don't think I qualify for napoleon complex.

boom in last 15 years shows how shitty football is more than anything
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Young people (and even older people) aren't watching baseball because there are two many distractions and information. Baseball is way too slow for a kid that has a mobile computer in their pockets. It's why records sales are way down. No one wants to listen to a whole album anymore.

And yes, steroids do make baseball better! The McGwire / Sosa '98 homerun chase was one of the most epic sporting events ever and we were all into it even though it should have been obvious they were on the juice.
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.

Good god

On stilts?

Ah, different seasons dude

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.

Good god

On stilts?

Ah, different seasons dude
    5'11...have been since I was 17. used to be able to dunk a small basketball

less kids playing football now playing other sports like lacrosse. even if it is fall vs spring.

edited April 2015
    The Fixer said:

most of the successful D-1 lacrosse programs are good academic schools...hopkins, syracuse, virginia, duke, princeton, towson, etc. I'm sure that weeds out who qualifies to play there to an extent.

Also seems like there are ton of podunk schools in middle of nowhere that have college programs where anyone who can hold a lacrosse stick and run at the same time can make the team.

Lacrosse is a pretty expensive sport so it is usually played by middle class and up, outside of the reservations at least. I would say that has a large part to do with why those schools excel.

I agree with that. But those poduck soccer, baseball and football teams are no different than the lacrosse team. All made up of shitty athletes.

I got recruited to play division 3 football by a number of schools and I never stepped foot on a football field in my life.

You don't know my middle name. It is as white as it gets, haha.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

The Fixer said:

Lacrosse is a pretty expensive sport so it is usually played by middle class and up, outside of the reservations at least.

I agree with that. But those poduck soccer, baseball and football teams are no different than the lacrosse team. All made up of shitty athletes.

I got recruited to play division 3 football but a number of schools and I never stepped foot on a football field in my life.
    my father played D-1 lacrosse and never played a day in his life before college.

also, kickers don't count dude
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Lacrosse is a pretty expensive sport so it is usually played by middle class and up, outside of the reservations at least.

I got recruited to play division 3 football but a number of schools and I never stepped foot on a football field in my life.
    my father played D-1 lacrosse and never played a day in his life before college.

also, kickers don't count dude
    Seriously, your father? Jim Brown played lacrosse too. It was a very different time. Like I said, the sport has boomed in the last 15 years. This area was terrible forever and how it has a few of the top high schools in the country.

Wasn't for kicker. D-3 football coaches will take any athlete and "teach" them football.
    Jason P said:

Young people (and even older people) aren't watching baseball because there are two many distractions and information. Baseball is way too slow for a kid that has a mobile computer in their pockets. It's why records sales are way down. No one wants to listen to a whole album anymore.

And yes, steroids do make baseball better! The McGwire / Sosa '98 homerun chase was one of the most epic sporting events ever and we were all into it even though it should have been obvious they were on the juice.

attendance in mlb is at record levels. the premise that baseball is dying is a media fallacy

lacrosse is the new soccer. I remember when the world cup was in the US in '94 people were saying soccer was going to be the biggest sport in the US in 10-15 years. yeah...that um, didn't happen
    edited April 2015
    The Fixer said:

Jason P said:

attendance in mlb is at record levels. the premise that baseball is dying is a media fallacy

lacrosse is the new soccer. I remember when the world cup was in the US in '94 people were saying soccer was going to be the biggest sport in the US in 10-15 years. yeah...that um, didn't happen
    I agree with this.

Soccer has the second highest youth participation behind basketball. Lacrosse is having the fastest growth of any sport, though still regional. Both things are good things, I think. That said, it is stupid to think that either will ever be as popular as other sports at a national level because of the lack of a quality professional league. That doesn't necessarily make the sports less successful from a mass interest standpoint, it just makes them less successful from a business standpoint. I started going to the lacrosse final 4 when it was played at the University of Maryland and Rutgers. Now they rotate between the Linc, the Ravens Stadium and the Patriots stadium.
  • It also comes down to money. If you are an elite US athlete which sport would you focus on. NBA you can go into when you are 19 and any 1st round pick will get a guaranteed contract that will pay millions. NFL you can go into when you are 2 years past high school and pays millions if you can be an early round draft pick. Baseball you will get a huge signing bonus but then have years of ridding buses and staying in dumpy motels while you move through the minors. I won't even bring up soccer as this is the US after all. That should say enough.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • And to get back to thread integrity, how did that sweep taste d*dger fans.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

The Fixer said:

Jason P said:

I agree with this.

Soccer has the second highest youth participation behind basketball. Lacrosse is having the fastest growth of any sport, though still regional. Both things are good things, I think. That said, it is stupid to think that either will ever be as popular as other sports at a national level because of the lack of a quality professional league. That doesn't necessarily make the sports less successful from a mass interest standpoint, it just makes them less successful from a business standpoint. I started going to the lacrosse final 4 when it was played at the University of Maryland and Rutgers. Now they rotate between the Linc, the Ravens Stadium and the Patriots stadium.
    yeah agreed. you know me well enough by now that I don't judge things based on popularity. I do find the regionalization of lacrosse odd though. Upsate NY, long island, maryland, and parts of virginia are the hotbeds. I'm sure there are small pockets in other parts of the country that play lacrosse, but the entire thing is weird to me.

Just curious, do those final four games sell out? I would think they would have the best chance down here where people are lacrosse fanatics. Don't think the gates would be as strong in philly or especially foxboro, which is the worst stadium logistical layout ever created.

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Jason P said:

I agree with this.

yeah agreed. you know me well enough by now that I don't judge things based on popularity. I do find the regionalization of lacrosse odd though. Upsate NY, long island, maryland, and parts of virginia are the hotbeds. I'm sure there are small pockets in other parts of the country that play lacrosse, but the entire thing is weird to me.

Just curious, do those final four games sell out? I would think they would have the best chance down here where people are lacrosse fanatics. Don't think the gates would be as strong in philly or especially foxboro, which is the worst stadium logistical layout ever created.

Well, yeah and I agree with that too. Lacrosse is a native american (and Canadian) sport and really got going in Upstate NY and trickled down. I would assume Hopkins (and to a lesser extend UVA's success) had a bit to do with why it popped up down there and I assume spread down to the Carolina schools, though high school lacrosse in Carolina is terrible, but growing. Denver is a hot bed. It sounds weird since it was literally the first sport played in America, but it is still a young sport.

No, but they get a good crowd. 30k-40K or so probably. Probably a bit too small for an NFL stadium but too big for anything else. Baltimore does well, but Philly does well because it is a bit more accessible for NY. I don't know why they do Foxboro. I only went there once. It is a fun weekend.

I am also not arguing it is the best sport. I am a baseball fan through and through. My initial point was just that it is a good sport and is the most fun sport I have ever played.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.

i am floored by this. cliff---you seem like the biggest baseball guy to ever post in these here boards but you didn't play in high school?????!??!

how? why?!
    www.myspace.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    Jason P said:

the record industry analogy is pretty spot on...and that's another thing that pisses me off. i always argue with my brothers (who haven't spent a dime on music in over a decade probably) that they are the reason bands like mmj aren't as big as they should be. i love mmj and think it's cool that they are not quite mainstream, but another part of me is upset that they'll probably never get the recognition they deserve. if the came out 10 years earlier, it think they would have been huge in the 90's. they're the kind of band i feel like i shouldn't have to explain to people who they are at this point but whatever....

anyway
    back to baseball....
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    always fun to watch the Fixer go at it!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

imalive said:

I blame soccer.

fuck soccer.

i am floored by this. cliff---you seem like the biggest baseball guy to ever post in these here boards but you didn't play in high school?????!??!

how? why?!
    Was always a big baseball fan, my dad was a huge baseball fan. Just the way it went, I guess. Was better at soccer and lacrosse and one of my best friends dads played at Syracuse and had us all playing lacrosse young. Turned my school into a Football-Basketball-Lacrosse school rather than baseball.

I played recreationally and actually played in an adult league when I first moved to Philly, but stopped after a year or so of Babe Ruth. Nothing organized after that.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    GO ASTROS!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    mfc2006 said:

GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!

Fixed

• mfc2006 said:

GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!

Now it is really fixed.