MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861

I know this article doesn't really focus on it but I can't see any argument that would think a double switch is more important to baseball than one of the better pitchers in the game blowing his Achilles batting
    you wouldn't understand.....you're an AL guy.

fuck the DH.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Fuck the DH. Make the pansy ass AL pitchers hit. They get paid to play baseball. That includes a position in the field and having to bat.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    That's a freak injury. Who hurts their Achilles these days?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    cdysinge said:

Fuck the DH. Make the pansy ass AL pitchers hit. They get paid to play baseball. That includes a position in the field and having to bat.

On the contrary, pitchers get paid to pitch. No one ever signed a pitcher because he could hit the ball.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Baltimore will be playing in an empty stadium. They're closing the doors to the public.
  • ^^ Damn, I didnt sign up for the baseball package so I wont be able to see this. Would think it is a crazy scenario....interesting to watch.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405

Baltimore will be playing in an empty stadium. They're closing the doors to the public.

it's going to be a strange game to watch, that's for sure.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,725
    mfc2006 said:

it's going to be a strange game to watch, that's for sure.

so it'll be like their playing in Florida then? :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

^^ Damn, I didnt sign up for the baseball package so I wont be able to see this. Would think it is a crazy scenario....interesting to watch.

I'm wondering if guys in the dugout will be going "swing batter, swing batter, swing batter, swing"?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

cdysinge said:

Fuck the DH. Make the pansy ass AL pitchers hit. They get paid to play baseball. That includes a position in the field and having to bat.

On the contrary, pitchers get paid to pitch. No one ever signed a pitcher because he could hit the ball.

LOS ANGELES – Madison Bumgarner saw Max Scherzer’s comments advocating that the designated hitter should be instituted in both leagues, and asserting that nobody pays to see a pitcher “swinging a wet newspaper.”

Any thoughts on that, Madison?

“Oh, well, my wet newspaper is 34 ½ inches, 33 ½ ounces, and I’m waiting on some new ones right now,” said Bumgarner, asked for comment.

One more thing: Bumgarner hit two grand slams with that newspaper last season.

Wainwright, however, said his injury shouldn't be the catalyst for change.

"I couldn't disagree more," Wainwright told reporters. "I love Max ... but I just think baseball is a National League game. I wish both leagues would convert to National League baseball. I understand why people would say that, but you can't point to another instance, almost, that the pitcher got hurt, whether or not it was their Achilles, doing that kind of thing.

"The strategy and the game itself in the National is just a better game, in my opinion. I hope that people don't look at this -- which I know they already are -- and think we should switch to a DH for pitchers. I think baseball is a beautiful game and I hope it doesn't change too much."

face it cliffy, your boys play a pussy game.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Scherzer apologized to MadBum for his DH comments. I love it.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821
    Love or hate the DH, it's not going away. Players union would never agree to it. I think it's much more likely the DH moves to the NL. No matter what you think about it, it makes zero sense for the AL and NL to be playing by different rules.
  • I would fully expect NL clubs to fight it. Just as the AL will not want to go back the NL teams won't want it. An extra reliever costs a couple of million. Going out and paying another decent hitter that only hits (a la sloppi) will cost 10 to 20 million. I kind of like the leagues being different. It makes the world series and the clash of styles of play more interesting. If anything get rid of inter-league play.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

I would fully expect NL clubs to fight it. Just as the AL will not want to go back the NL teams won't want it. An extra reliever costs a couple of million. Going out and paying another decent hitter that only hits (a la sloppi) will cost 10 to 20 million. I kind of like the leagues being different. It makes the world series and the clash of styles of play more interesting. If anything get rid of inter-league play.

Well you know they're not getting rid of interleague play. I don't mind interleague play....gets a little stale to play the same 13-14 teams in your own league over a 162 game season.

I just think that everything should be on a level playing field.....whether it's a DH or no DH.
    cdysinge said:

I would fully expect NL clubs to fight it. Just as the AL will not want to go back the NL teams won't want it. An extra reliever costs a couple of million. Going out and paying another decent hitter that only hits (a la sloppi) will cost 10 to 20 million. I kind of like the leagues being different. It makes the world series and the clash of styles of play more interesting. If anything get rid of inter-league play.

To get rid of interleague you either have to add or contract two teams and realign divisions at this point. That's not happening. And interleague is a good thing for the simple fact that one division doesn't have an advantage over every other division in baseball.

The DH will be universal soon. I don't get why the NL would fight it at this point, why in the hell would they even want to risk an injury of their $200 million pitchers batting?

let me quit giving cliffy shit and post this....a lot of good points, I think.

Why not maintain the DH status quo?

By John Shea SF Chronicle

Nothing fires up the designated hitter debate more than a star pitcher (Adam Wainwright) tearing his Achilles tendon running from the batter’s box, a star pitcher (Max Scherzer) insisting fans prefer watching David Ortiz and a star pitcher (Madison Bumgarner) defending a pitcher’s right to hit.

With all the momentum for a DH in the National League and understanding it might happen, here are five reasons to leave it the way it is (and none include “keep tradition alive,” “we’ve always done it that way” or “get off of my lawn”):

•Fans who prefer NL ball aren’t going away. It’s their preference. They like ballplayers wearing a glove as well as swinging a bat. They like the strategy. They like substitutions and the need for roster depth. They like double switches and pinch-hitting and bunting, and they’d like to see pitchers work a little more in the cage (for a greater chance at success at the plate) and stretch a little more before games (for a greater chance to avoid injuries making athletic moves).

•It’s OK to be different, a spice-of-life thing. Interleague play already lessened the glamour of the All-Star Game and World Series. With a DH in both leagues, why even have separate leagues? Just make it one league, have every team play every other five or six times (to equal 162) and the teams with the top 10 records make the playoffs. The DH is the last difference between the leagues, the only thing that makes them identifiable.

•The DH is not as glorious as it might seem. Ortiz is a dying breed. Managers aren’t generally set on one DH and tend to use it to “rest” position players, keeping them in the lineup without having them play defense. That’s its evolution. A’s manager Bob Melvin used 17 DHs last year. Alberto Callaspo was used the most, and who wouldn’t pay to see that?

•Pitchers who brush back or knock down hitters can’t hide behind the DH rule in the NL. Take Yordano Ventura out of the AL and notice the attitude adjustment.

•Making the DH universal would end the debates, and what’s good in that?

it also pisses me off that guys like sloppi a) pad their numbers b) to maybe get in the Hall c) while making $20M per year and d) prevent a REAL ballplayer from coming up.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    You are really worried about the 25th guy on the roster? That's the rationale? hahaha

You are really worried about the 25th guy on the roster? That's the rationale? hahaha

I'm not, but I don't think that was directed at me.

should we also have designated runners and fielders for guys who don't those things well? and, the NL does have DH's....they're called pinch hitters...but you need to keep managing after you give the line-up card to the umps (I'm looking at you, Joe).

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    since when did pitchers become such delicate flowers that they can't, you know, play baseball?

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    watching the Baltimore game is weird
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415

cdysinge said:

To get rid of interleague you either have to add or contract two teams and realign divisions at this point. That's not happening. And interleague is a good thing for the simple fact that one division doesn't have an advantage over every other division in baseball.

The DH will be universal soon. I don't get why the NL would fight it at this point, why in the hell would they even want to risk an injury of their $200 million pitchers batting?

i find this argument to be just silly. Yea i know Wainright just got hurt batting but how many pitches actually get hurt in a given season while batting? it's extremely rare that it happens. what's next not having the pitcher cover 1st or backup third/home on throws because they might get hurt? 99% of pitchers in the game today end up with an arm or shoulder injury at some poitn in their careers, worrying about them getting hurt hitting is absurd.

the DH is terrible for the game. the NL should fight it because pitchers are baseball players to. why should one player not have to do what everyone else does?
    edited April 2015
    But it's not really just that. Pitchers get paid to pitch. Why bother risk injury just for a double switch? Is a double switch really that exciting? Why would a team or fan base want the potential of ruining a season because they get hurt doing something they don't give a shit about?

And pitchers who don't want to bat are actually making their job harder on themselves, considering they don't get an inning off every few innings.

Perhaps the pussies are the pitchers who prefer to face other pitchers rather than someone who can actually hit a baseball?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • After you give up the DH whats next, putting screens in front of the pitchers so what happened to Bradley doesn't happen again. This is the same as the NFL pussing out and making it a penalty to touch a QB. Its sports, these guys are paid very well and there are inherent dangers in that job as with any job. I might get carpel tunnel at work. Does that mean I should insist to my job I need a secretary to dictate to so I can save my hands. This is an example of the pussification of America.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Stop it. That is absurd. The DH is used in some capacity in pretty much every baseball league in the world, this is not some revolutionary idea.
    And I am pretty sure the impact of you getting carpel tunnel and Wainwright blowing out his achilles is slightly different to the respective companies.
  • Waino could have blown his Achilles fielding a ball as well. Do we have designated fielders for pitchers now also? Its bad for baseball to lose it. Keep it in the AL fine, but leave the NL alone.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

Waino could have blown his Achilles fielding a ball as well. Do we have designated fielders for pitchers now also? Its bad for baseball to lose it. Keep it in the AL fine, but leave the NL alone.

How is it bad for baseball???

I honestly don't care that much one way or the other, but I think it should be the same across both leagues. One of the dumbest things in all of sports that they play by different rules in the AL and NL. Almost as dumb as the All Star Game determining homefield advantage for the World Series.
    How is it bad for baseball? Still haven't heard a compelling argument?

Double switches? "Strategy"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiqLvI8PnQs

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415

But it's not really just that. Pitchers get paid to pitch. Why bother risk injury just for a double switch? Is a double switch really that exciting? Why would a team or fan base want the potential of ruining a season because they get hurt doing something they don't give a shit about?

And pitchers who don't want to bat are actually making their job harder on themselves, considering they don't get an inning off every few innings.

Perhaps the pussies are the pitchers who prefer to face other pitchers rather than someone who can actually hit a baseball?

using that logic why not do it for every position then and have offensive and defensive players like football? why should we limit that to pitchers?

and pitchers who don't give a shit about hitting are only hurting themselves and their teams. it's fucking idiotic to be in the NL as a pitcher and not put time into it. i mean it's not like pitchers have any free time between starts to do a little extra preparation to hit right (cue eyeroll)?

and it's not just about double switches. it's about decisions on when to take a pitcher out,when to pinch hit, who to pinch hit, who is left, matchups now or later in the game. the last position player on an NL roster has a much greater chance of having an effect on a game than the last position player on an AL roster. the last position player on an AL roster might as well not even put an uniform on for 95% of the games because the chances of that player getting into a game he doesn't start is tiny. at least the NL guy has a chance and has to be prepared for an at-bat everyday.
    pjhawks said:

using that logic why not do it for every position then and have offensive and defensive players like football? why should we limit that to pitchers?

and pitchers who don't give a shit about hitting are only hurting themselves and their teams. it's fucking idiotic to be in the NL as a pitcher and not put time into it. i mean it's not like pitchers have any free time between starts to do a little extra preparation to hit right (cue eyeroll)?

and it's not just about double switches. it's about decisions on when to take a pitcher out,when to pinch hit, who to pinch hit, who is left, matchups now or later in the game. the last position player on an NL roster has a much greater chance of having an effect on a game than the last position player on an AL roster. the last position player on an AL roster might as well not even put an uniform on for 95% of the games because the chances of that player getting into a game he doesn't start is tiny. at least the NL guy has a chance and has to be prepared for an at-bat everyday.
    Come on, man. Again, it is being idiotic saying this is going anywhere outside of not having fucking pitchers bat.

I don't necessarily disagree that they shouldn't put time in if they have to bat, but again, their job is to get people out. so they typically don't.

And why would you want to take out a pitcher that is rolling because his spot is coming up in the order? In what scenario is that attractive at all? Again, his job is to pitch. Pitching has become a specialization that takes a shit load of work to get good at. It is a different game than it once was.