Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,621
    For all this talk, Ken Burns said the other day he would put steroids 2nd or 3rd on the list of black marks on baseball. Number one obviously being the Black Sox, and 2 or 3 being segregation and steroids. I personally think steroids would have to be 3rd.
  • Options
    This is pretty fantastic so far
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I agree. That 98 Yankees team was awesome. Tough as nails. I remember exactly where I was when leyritz hit that HR off of wolers
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Really enjoyed the first two hours. As a Braves fan, loved the segment about Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz.

I had forgotten just how important Cal Ripken's streak was to baseball being the season directly after the strike. Interesting look at the "Latin explosion" as well.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,611
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I agree. That 98 Yankees team was awesome. Tough as nails. I remember exactly where I was when leyritz hit that HR off of wolers

It's funny to think of it now, but those '96 Yankees definitely had that underdog scrappy mentality to them.

It wasn't until they signed Mussina & Giambi that I started to hate them. (and they stopped winning World Series)

Anyways, I enjoyed Part 1 a lot.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's funny to think of it now, but those '96 Yankees definitely had that underdog scrappy mentality to them.

It wasn't until they signed Mussina & Giambi that I started to hate them. (and they stopped winning World Series)

Anyways, I enjoyed Part 1 a lot.

Part 1 was great.

Yeah, that was an awesome team. I was actually thinking about that Boggs walk the other day when Miranda walked with the bases loaded against the Red Sox.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the first two hours. As a Braves fan, loved the segment about Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz.

I had forgotten just how important Cal Ripken's streak was to baseball being the season directly after the strike. Interesting look at the "Latin explosion" as well.

I thought the segement about Latin players was great. The move Sugar seems like it is dead on.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I thought the segement about Latin players was great. The move Sugar seems like it is dead on.

I'm still pissed about that movie though. Why'd he quit?

Yeah, when the Dominicans show up and they're in SW Cornfield, Montana - where's all the tall buildings?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,814
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

This is why that movie is now my #1 baseball movie.

Two things in my life I wanna do; 1. bring a shit load of gloves, balls, bats to the DR. 2. Go to the Carribean World Series.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

This is why that movie is now my #1 baseball movie.

Two things in my life I wanna do; 1. bring a shit load of gloves, balls, bats to the DR. 2. Go to the Carribean World Series.

I definitely agree. I really enjoyed how they showed the leagues in New York in the documentary. I was watching and saying this is basically Sugar, from the language classes to the leagues in New York.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, when the Dominicans show up and they're in SW Cornfield, Montana - where's all the tall buildings?

Just like the documentary said, a lot of them can't stick it out.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haven't seen Sugar....I'll have to check it out
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haven't seen Sugar....I'll have to check it out

Yeah, you have to check it out. Every baseball fan must see it. It's great.
  • Options
    How about the end to the Reds game? That is pretty fucking awesome.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I didn't think he'd make it, but I thought he'd get cut. Then he quit. I guess that's how it goes.

Clearly Sugar was a very good representation of reality.

• Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I didn't think he'd make it, but I thought he'd get cut. Then he quit. I guess that's how it goes.

Clearly Sugar was a very good representation of reality.

I was also disappointed when he quit.

As JP said though, that's what makes it such a great movie. I had no idea the leagues in NY were littered with former prospects.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Like pigs being led to the slaughterhouse. That rotation is gonna get bombed in the playoffs.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Like pigs being led to the slaughterhouse. That rotation is gonna get bombed in the playoffs.

I don't really give a shit what happens to the Reds in the playoffs but that had to be a blast last night for Reds fans.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't really give a shit what happens to the Reds in the playoffs but that had to be a blast last night for Reds fans.

yeah, you're right. and if they get atlanta in the playoffs that could be like getting a bye. As a phils fan, I'm really hoping SD sweeps this weekend so the phils can play them in round 1.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, you're right. and if they get atlanta in the playoffs that could be like getting a bye. As a phils fan, I'm really hoping SD sweeps this weekend so the phils can play them in round 1.

SD has quite a bit of work to do still, right?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah. they have 3 with SF this weekend, so they can make up ground. They need to win 2 of 3 to even have a shot. They can catch atlanta if the phillies beat the braves this weekend.

not looking good for the pads. If I could choose, that's who I'd want the phils to draw in round 1. Looks like cincy or SF though
  • Options
    How much fun would Philly and Atlanta be in the NLCS? I hate the NL, but that would be must-see TV.

It's gonna be Philly and Minnesota in the Fall Classic, with the Phils taking it in 6. Just my 2cents.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    How much fun would Philly and Atlanta be in the NLCS? I hate the NL, but that would be must-see TV.

It's gonna be Philly and Minnesota in the Fall Classic, with the Phils taking it in 6. Just my 2cents.

this has come up in other threads. I'm just not buying minnesota. I don't see it
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah. they have 3 with SF this weekend, so they can make up ground. They need to win 2 of 3 to even have a shot. They can catch atlanta if the phillies beat the braves this weekend.

not looking good for the pads. If I could choose, that's who I'd want the phils to draw in round 1. Looks like cincy or SF though

Gotcha, yeah, i thought they were in trouble. If I were you, I would want cincy. Anything can happen in a 5 game series, especially with Cain and Lincecum.
  • Options

Why is everyone on Minnesotas balls?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Gotcha, yeah, i thought they were in trouble. If I were you, I would want cincy. Anything can happen in a 5 game series, especially with Cain and Lincecum.

definitely rather play cincy than SF. the phils don't hit sanchez either. I'd hope for zito in game 3 over sanchez.

and we agree on minnesota. I don't get it either
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Clicking at the right time. Tampa and New York are both very good teams, but New York has obvious weaknesses and I think Tampa doesn't have it in them this time around.

As for the Phils, their pitching will take them deep in this thing. Look at last year's Yankee team, or the rotation we sported in 07 of Beckett, Lester and Schills. That's what wins titles.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    tampa will win the world series ...
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Clicking at the right time. Tampa and New York are both very good teams, but New York has obvious weaknesses and I think Tampa doesn't have it in them this time around.

As for the Phils, their pitching will take them deep in this thing. Look at last year's Yankee team, or the rotation we sported in 07 of Beckett, Lester and Schills. That's what wins titles.

so who is minnesota's big 3 that will get them to the WS?
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    so who is minnesota's big 3 that will get them to the WS?
    What was Colorado's big 3 from 2007 that got them to the show? Less than what Minnesota has. You cannot deny the momentum is in the Twins favor, but once they run into dominant pitching, which won't happen till they meet Philly in the WS, they'll fall just like the Rocks did against our boys in 07. That's just my take on the whole thing. Also, I'm saying it right now, Carl Pavano will win a game against the Yankees.