Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Tremble in Fear as the,The Yankee's are coming....

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,621
    The Fixer wrote:
    so who is minnesota's big 3 that will get them to the WS?
    What was Colorado's big 3 from 2007 that got them to the show? Less than what Minnesota has. You cannot deny the momentum is in the Twins favor, but once they run into dominant pitching, which won't happen till they meet Philly in the WS, they'll fall just like the Rocks did against our boys in 07. That's just my take on the whole thing. Also, I'm saying it right now, Carl Pavano will win a game against the Yankees.

The Twins are 4-6 in their last 10 games. The one thing they have going for them is playing at home where they have been great.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

What was Colorado's big 3 from 2007 that got them to the show? Less than what Minnesota has. You cannot deny the momentum is in the Twins favor, but once they run into dominant pitching, which won't happen till they meet Philly in the WS, they'll fall just like the Rocks did against our boys in 07. That's just my take on the whole thing. Also, I'm saying it right now, Carl Pavano will win a game against the Yankees.

the phils won the WS with jamie moyer as their 3rd starter. you're the one that said that starting pitching wins. I don't think the twins starters scare any of the AL playoff teams. Like cliffy said, I don't see why everyone is on minn's nuts. THey have by far the worst rotation of the AL playoff teams

I think the AL playoffs are wide open. ANy of the 4 teams could win the pennant. I just think the twins are the longest shot.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the phils won the WS with jamie moyer as their 3rd starter. you're the one that said that starting pitching wins. I don't think the twins starters scare any of the AL playoff teams. Like cliffy said, I don't see why everyone is on minn's nuts. THey have by far the worst rotation of the AL playoff teams

I think the AL playoffs are wide open. ANy of the 4 teams could win the pennant. I just think the twins are the longest shot.

I don't really see how it can be anyone but Tampa or the Yankees. I know the Yankees have been playing like shit but I just think both teams are much better than Minnesota or Texas.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    Really enjoyed the first two hours. As a Braves fan, loved the segment about Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz.

I had forgotten just how important Cal Ripken's streak was to baseball being the season directly after the strike. Interesting look at the "Latin explosion" as well.

two too many msnbc personalities for my liking. as a registered independent, i yearn for the days of unbiased news reporting so the sight (and voice) of keith olbermann makes my skin crawl. mike barnicle is okay though, but whatever....

that aside--it was nicely done. i fell asleep at the tail end but it was good. the bonds early storyline was great. he was so great back before the roids. and the fransico cabrera/sid bream game 7 is one of the greatest finishes in the history of sports. that was fantastic.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the first two hours. As a Braves fan, loved the segment about Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz.

I had forgotten just how important Cal Ripken's streak was to baseball being the season directly after the strike. Interesting look at the "Latin explosion" as well.

two too many msnbc personalities for my liking. as a registered independent, i yearn for the days of unbiased news reporting so the sight (and voice) of keith olbermann makes my skin crawl. mike barnicle is okay though, but whatever....

that aside--it was nicely done. i fell asleep at the tail end but it was good. the bonds early storyline was great. he was so great back before the roids. and the fransico cabrera/sid bream game 7 is one of the greatest finishes in the history of sports. that was fantastic.

I really miss sean mcdonugh (sp?). He was a tremendous play by play guy. I know he still does college football, I wish one of the networks would bring him back for the baseball playoffs

I also enjoyed the phil plantier sighting. that made me laugh
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Fixer wrote:

I really miss sean mcdonugh (sp?). He was a tremendous play by play guy. I know he still does college football, I wish one of the networks would bring him back for the baseball playoffs

I also enjoyed the phil plantier sighting. that made me laugh

he is great. does college b ball too.....my only thing with him is whenever i hear his voice i have joe carter/mitch williams flash backs....

but cbs did baseball waaaaaay better than fox. i loved their intro music too.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

The Twins are 4-6 in their last 10 games. The one thing they have going for them is playing at home where they have been great.
    Okay okay, maybe there's a few flaws in my argument. I honestly haven't watch much baseball since I started school, so you guys know more about this shit than I. But come on, who do you expect me to pick? New York? Ain't gonna happen. As always, F the Yankees.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options

I don't see what the big deal is. Olberman knows his baseball. I rarely agree with George Will but that does not mean he doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to baseball.
  • Options
    Okay okay, maybe there's a few flaws in my argument. I honestly haven't watch much baseball since I started school, so you guys know more about this shit than I. But come on, who do you expect me to pick? New York? Ain't gonna happen. As always, F the Yankees.

haha, fair enough.
  • Options

he is great. does college b ball too.....my only thing with him is whenever i hear his voice i have joe carter/mitch williams flash backs....

good points. mcdonough and raftery are always solid as a team. mcdonough and speilman are my favorite college football team as well.

anything is better than the TBS broadcast
  • Options
    Someone proposed an interesting trade the other day at a bar I was at:

Mariners get:
    Dice-K, Papelbon, Ellsbury and the Red Sox #1 pitching prospect, Casey Kelly

Red Sox get:
    Ichiro and King Felix

The M's spent 90+ mil for the worst team in the AL. Dice-K would be a huge draw for Seattle. The M's would bolster their bullpen instantly with Pap saving games. Ellsbury is still one of the premier lead-off guys in baseball and Casey Kelly has the potential to be a #1. I would seriously consider this trade if I were the GM for either of these teams.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options

Mariners get:

Red Sox get:
    Ichiro and King Felix

The M's spent 90+ mil for the worst team in the AL. Dice-K would be a huge draw for Seattle. The M's would bolster their bullpen instantly with Pap saving games. Ellsbury is still one of the premier lead-off guys in baseball and Casey Kelly has the potential to be a #1. I would seriously consider this trade if I were the GM for either of these teams.

it would take way more than that to get King Felix (I'm familiar with Kelly, who had a bad year in the minors). And I don't see the M's trading ichiro.

Also, papelbon sucks and will be a FA after 2011.

No way in hell the M's make that deal

EDIT: I do think the Sox trade ellsbury in the offseason...which makes those crawford rumors make a lot of sense
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Mariners get:

Red Sox get:
    Ichiro and King Felix

it would take way more than that to get King Felix (I'm familiar with Kelly, who had a bad year in the minors). And I don't see the M's trading ichiro.

EDIT: I do think the Sox trade ellsbury in the offseason...which makes those crawford rumors make a lot of sense

Too much money going to Seattle I think, replace Papelbon with Buccholz then you are getting closer but Boston would not trade Buccholz and Kelly.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,611
    The Fixer wrote:

Mariners get:

Red Sox get:
    Ichiro and King Felix

It's plainly obvious that this trade was conjured up by a Red Sox fan.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't see what the big deal is. Olberman knows his baseball. I rarely agree with George Will but that does not mean he doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to baseball.

never said he didn't know about baseball. i just think he's awful at his job and i cringe whenever i see him on tv. glad he's not on the sunday night football show anymore....he's off that right?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

good points. mcdonough and raftery are always solid as a team. mcdonough and speilman are my favorite college football team as well.

ONIONS!

man i can't wait for college b ball to start up :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    :lol: Yup. Pretty much. I really don't think it would be so one-sided, but whatever.

Things will all be different next year when Youk's beard makes its triumphant return the lineup, pissing off all the Yankee fans. You can make the argument that he's one of the most important players to their team of anyone in baseball.

Okay, Im done digging myself into a bigger hole with you guys. You all hate me already for my strong Boston ties, I don't wanna keep adding fuel to the fire.

Back to the playoff discussion...how about that Carl Pavano, Cliffy? He's awesome isn't he? Why can't you guys get starting pitching like that?
  • Options
    :lol: Yup. Pretty much. I really don't think it would be so one-sided, but whatever.

Things will all be different next year when Youk's beard makes its triumphant return the lineup, pissing off all the Yankee fans. You can make the argument that he's one of the most important players to their team of anyone in baseball.

Okay, Im done digging myself into a bigger hole with you guys. You all hate me already for my strong Boston ties, I don't wanna keep adding fuel to the fire.

Back to the playoff discussion...how about that Carl Pavano, Cliffy? He's awesome isn't he? Why can't you guys get starting pitching like that?

Go sox :lol::mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options

Carl Pavano winning a playoff game at Yankee stadium is just about the worst thing I could ever imagine. Not going to happen, can't happen.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Carl Pavano winning a playoff game at Yankee stadium is just about the worst thing I could ever imagine. Not

going to happen, can't happen.

Man o man that would be death
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    I know I link to Deadspin quite a bit but here is another good piece from Alex Belth about his time working on the original Baseball by Ken Burns. It is great stuff. I am a bit biased though as I have been reading his Yankees blog for years now.

http://deadspin.com/5649906/ken-burns-h ... n-baseball
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I know I link to Deadspin quite a bit but here is another good piece from Alex Belth about his time working on the original Baseball by Ken Burns. It is great stuff. I am a bit biased though as I have been reading his Yankees blog for years now.

ken burns is such an odd looking dude :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

ken burns is such an odd looking dude :lol:

Yeah, he is definitely not what you would expect.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    The Fixer wrote:

I like McDonough and think he does a good job just about every time he calls a game. Can't stand Raftery though...he'd be enough to make me watch the game on mute. Come to think of it, I don't care for many of the color analysts for college bball.

Not a fan of Olberman, but at least he knows what he's talking about. I do like listening to Costas talk about baseball though.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I like McDonough and think he does a good job just about every time he calls a game. Can't stand Raftery though...he'd be enough to make me watch the game on mute. Come to think of it, I don't care for many of the color analysts for college bball.

Not a fan of Olberman, but at least he knows what he's talking about. I do like listening to Costas talk about baseball though.

I have such a love-hate thing with Costas. You know he is just a little smug prick, but he knows his shit and has solid views.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,082
    After watching that documentary last night, I never realized just how big a bitch Barry Bonds is!! :lol::lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,560
    Lizard wrote:
    After watching that documentary last night, I never realized just how big a bitch Barry Bonds is!! :lol::lol:
    didja ever realize how fucking good he was? :wtf: ;):mrgreen:

I guess you were content with raul mondesi.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,082
    imalive wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    didja ever realize how fucking good he was? :wtf: ;):mrgreen:

I guess you were content with raul mondesi.

i'm not saying he wasn't good................ :P
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,611
    Lizard wrote:

Talk about old news. We knew that when he played for the Pirates. :P
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16